Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #121
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Ralph big times people? That stinks.

The first time I met him... well, I had no idea who he was, but he seemed nice and chatty. To be friendly, I asked him "So what do you do?" I don't think he felt very "big time" that day.

Feels like I've already told you that story. Story of my life.

Last edited by Smiles; 08-15-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #122
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Ralph just didn't like me.

I am jonesing for some hockey so badly.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #123
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Aww, I bet Ralph would like you! He was probably distracted or something.

How about Celina? Speaking of being "big timed" ...
Old 08-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #124
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles
Aww, I bet Ralph would like you! He was probably distracted or something.

How about Celina? Speaking of being "big timed" ...
I've never had the...err..."pleasure"

But I don't really care that much. My wife hates her. I don't mind her so much. After listening to some of the crap the Mavs roll out there to sing, she's pretty great.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #125
Smiles
Diamond Member

Hmm, now why does your wife hate her? Is it the classic way she "changes up" the anthem notes? *giggle*
Old 08-21-2007, 08:08 AM   #126
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Modano to wed Ford on Saturday

SportsDay's Bill Nichols reports Stars center Mike Modano and pop star Willa Ford will be married Saturday in a small ceremony in Athens, Texas, a team spokesman said Monday.
The couple announced their engagement in November. They dated on and off for more than four years.
Way to go Mikey.

Honeymoon hard.

Very hard.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #127
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Some cool news...former Star Rob DiMaio has been hired as a scout. He was forced to retire after missing all last year w/post-concussion syndrome. Obviously sad for him, but I think he'll make a great scout. He was always one of my favorites, one of those scrappy, hard-working types. I remember I was sad when they let him go to TB. Welcome back, Robbie!
Old 08-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #128
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

In other news, the Stars are getting a new plane. This according to Razors blog....

Quote:
....in Mr. Hicks ongoing efforts to give his teams a competitive edge, both during the season and when recruiting free agents....
Yes. A plane. That'll give us a competitive edge. Comfy seats.

A young scoring winger would be nice, but whatever, I guess a plane is worth 25 goals this season, right?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #129
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Default Jokinen close to signing

http://stars.beloblog.com/
Quote:
Jokinen close to signing

Talked to one of the agents for Jussi Jokinen, Todd Diamond, and he said a deal might get done today. A little more snooping found they are looking at a two-year deal at about $1.8 million a year. We'll update as news comes in.

Diamond said Jokinen, who is in Finland, can file for a work visa once a contract is signed, and that it will probably take 10-14 days for him to be able to be in the USA. He said the process can be expidited if the USA will let them file documents electronically. Either way, Jokinen could be at training camp if a deal is done today.
Eh...reasonable. At this point in the game, to not have him would be a big mistake. So pay him the damned money and just get him back in the country.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #130
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

It's done. 2yrs @$1.81 mil per. Not terrible. At least it's done.
http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=336462
Old 08-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #131
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

lol

Old 08-31-2007, 02:58 PM   #132
Smiles
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
lol

I hear there are a lot more of these coming too. Cute.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:12 PM   #133
ames7
Diamond Member

It gets a 'heh' from me. From a marketing standpoint, I will give them a lot of credit. That billboard is getting plenty of attention, which means it's done its job. I also understand they're going back to violence as a selling point again w/the "Blood Drive" banners on the O site & Bob & Dan were talking about the other billboards like "Meet Our Two Defenders, Assault & Battery." Hey, no one except Gary Bettman ever said violence doesn't sell. Violence in pretty much the only thing that gets hockey on SportsCenter for more than 20 seconds.

Of course, just like the Rangers "You Could Use Some Baseball" campaign, all the clever marketing in the world won't help you if you don't put out a good product when the season starts. Still waiting on that trade for a scoring winger, Army...

Edit: Getting national attention now...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2999292
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=265917
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/st...ads070831.html

Last edited by ames7; 08-31-2007 at 11:47 PM.
ames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #134
Smiles
Diamond Member

Good point, ames7. I hadn't realized they were all violent, but now that you mention it.... I guess when you aren't winning, you have to find something to sell.

I have learned that hockey (players) is only occupation where you can get Workman's Comp for fighting on the job. Heh.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #135
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

love the billboard
Old 09-04-2007, 09:03 AM   #136
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Now that I took the plunge and bought a HDTV, I started looking for info about Stars games and HD of course.

Here is something I found on the O-boards, but of course, who knows if it's true:

Quote:
I received this from the Stars after emailing Jim Lites on Friday:

Jim Lites asked me to send you an e-mail addressing your questions regarding Stars games in High Definition. This isn't the easiest thing to explain, because of their are multiple parties involved.

First of all, we are pushing for all Stars games to be broadcast in HD. Currently 90% of Stars games are being produced in a high definition television truck. The problem is that we are not broadcasting that signal. We down convert the signal to standard definition and transmit that signal to either FSN or My27. So we have the facilities for the most part, it's just a matter of transmitting that signal in its native HD state.

FSN and MY27 are the Stars broadcast partners. We offer our input and control the content of the show, but they handle most of the technical broadcasting issues. FSN has 18 regions that all do multiple events per day. All of those events have their broadcast signals sent to Houston (FSN Master Control). At that Master Control station all of the signals are received for commercial insertion and then that signal is sent to DirecTV or a cable carrier.

Right now, FSN has only 3 or 4 bays that can accept an HD signal. So every FSN region takes turns doing HD broadcasts. Basically it means that the Stars get 10 FSN shows in HD, and the Rockets get 10 FSN shows in HD, and the Spurs get 10 FSN shows in HD.

FSN is almost finished with a new master control center that can transmit more broadcasts in HD. That facility should come online within the year. Hence, more Stars games in HD.

I am waiting on our HD schedule for the upcoming season and I have been told that FSN is trying to get more hockey games into the HD mix.
http://boards.dallasstars.com/showfl...41&Main=564632

Sounds about right to me, though.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 09-04-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #137
Smiles
Diamond Member

Any idea who wrote that email, Flac?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #138
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Nope. The post doesn't say. I have no idea if it has any validity to it.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #139
Smiles
Diamond Member

Whoever wrote it had a pretty good idea what they were talking about.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #140
Smiles
Diamond Member

You know, I open my mouth and make that statement, and I should see if I can find any numbers for this year.

Last edited by Smiles; 09-07-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #141
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The email was accurate, you say?

And I thought I just regurgitated what was in the email?

So Im confused.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #142
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

According to foxsports.com....

http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/archive?authorId=190
Quote:
Dallas Stars: Mike Smith. Recent internet speculation suggests Smith might become trade bait this season in hopes of attracting more scoring depth to the Stars. Given that Marty Turco will see the bulk of the playing time this season, it's possible Smith could become a trade chip later this year.
I think that's win win. If we got something good for him, hey great. If we don't, then we still have Mike Smith in backup, and he's pretty awesome for a backup.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #143
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

BUY STARS TICKETS!

Old 09-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #144
Smiles
Diamond Member

I said they knew what they were talking about.

Last edited by Smiles; 09-06-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:07 AM   #145
ames7
Diamond Member

Camp opens today w/as little fanfare & buzz as ever, but it's here. Here's the schedule from Andrews...I'm sure it's also up at the O site somewhere...
Quote:
Stars Training Camp Schedule
Dr. Pepper StarCenter Frisco

Friday, September 14
Practice 9:30 am - 11:15 pm Group A
Practice 11:30 am - 1:15 pm Group B

Saturday, September 15
Practice 9:30 am - 10:30 am Group A (Stars Rink)
Practice 9:30 am - 10:30 am Group B (Deja Blue Arena)
Practice 10:45 am - Noon Scrimmage

Sunday, September 16
Practice 9:30 am - 10:30 am Group A (Stars Rink)
Practice 9:30 am - 10:30 am Group B (Deja Blue Arena)
Practice 10:45 am - Noon Scrimmage

Monday, September 17
Practice 9:30 am - 11:15 pm Group A
Practice 11:30 am - 1:15 pm Group B
And here's the preseason schedule again:
Quote:
Tue Sep 18, 2007 Blues Stars 7:30 PM
Wed Sep 19, 2007 Stars Lightning 6:30 PM
Thu Sep 20, 2007 Avalanche Stars 7:30 PM
Sat Sep 22, 2007 Stars Coyotes 9:00 PM
Tue Sep 25, 2007 Stars Avalanche 8:00 PM
Thu Sep 27, 2007 Coyotes Stars 7:30 PM
Sat Sep 29, 2007 Lightning Stars 7:00 PM
I've been out to the StarsCenter before for camp, it's a lot of fun & really neat if you're a hockey fan to see the guys up close. Wish I was in town to go again.

They're also scheduled to unveil the new RBK jerseys today, but they've already been leaked...http://boards.dallasstars.com/showfl...5&o=93&fpart=1 if you want to see. I have to say...I really hate the black versions. And I miss the star outline.

PS: The Ticket will be broadcasting from camp all day today through BaD Radio if you're interested.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #146
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah I think I'm gonna go out and catch the scrimmage on sunday morning. And I'll be at the game on tuesday and maybe thursday.

I'm so excited to see our new awesome free agent winger who scores a lot of goals.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #147
ames7
Diamond Member

http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=337255
^In case you're interested, the new unis, officially. I'll admit...still not crazy about the no-logo black design...but not as bad on the actual players actually. But I've also decided I HATE the number on the front of the whites. Especially looks bad w/the C & A's.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:42 PM   #148
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I went to the unveiling. I had a really good time, and it had nothing to do with the jerseys.

The presentation was breif, and Razor and Ralph were very funny.

They had Turco, Modano, Morrow, Bouche, and Ribeiro all walk out with two (ice girls?) on each arm down a long cat walk, and turn at the end and people took pictures. You could tell they were pretty embrarrassed for having to do it, but they were very good sports about it.

The part I liked, was the open skating. So I brought my skates, and got to skate on the AAC ice. Which was awesome. We got to go to the locker room, and walk around that level down there some, then come through the tunnel that the players go through, and through the big light up "Star" and onto the ice.

Very cool
Old 09-17-2007, 11:44 PM   #149
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Even though like only 1/3 of the Stars are playing tomorrow, and Ribby is ALREADY HURT

I will be at the AAC in less than 24 hours from now, drinking Bud light and watching hockey.

And this is cause for MUCH celebration.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #150
ames7
Diamond Member

I am kind of interested in seeing how Lundqvist does at center. You going to the JV game too, Flaco? Let us know how Winchester looks, apparently he's looked impressive in camp.

Tipp doesn't seem to be all that worried about Ribs (& he does have some time to get right before the opener), so hopefully it's not that bad. Just sucks cause the reports from camp have been so great for that Morrow-Ribs-Eriksson line. Lehts & Stu(uuu) haven't done any contact drills yet at all...isn't this like the third year in a row Lehts has started out injured? Hopefully that doesn't translate to a slow start again.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #151
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

No, unfortunately no JV game for me. I left work early for the jersey unveiling last week, so I can't really get away today. Kind of busy anyways....

I just hope Ribeiro's problem is really just a one time deal. So often guys tweak their shoulder or something and then it becomes this nagging thing that drags on.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #152
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know Modano got married recently...

He was Dallas' Most Eligible Bachelor of the 90's

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #153
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

2 Days....5 hours....

Old 10-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #154
ames7
Diamond Member

Chris Connor just got sent down. I'm disappointed. I'd much rather see him than keep all four of the Ott/Barch/Federok/Winchester foursome of doom. However, he will get top line time in Iowa, which is better for his development than being on fourth line duty or a healthy scratch here, so I guess it makes sense. He'll be up at some point.

Ribs & Grossman have officially been placed on IR. From the practice reports, Ribs is out of the boot & should be skating soon & Grossman was already skating, so these don't look like long-term issues. Lessard is on waivers & on his way back to Iowa (I'm kind of disappointed w/his camp...was hoping he'd challenge for a spot this year, but now he's getting kind of old & he's running out of time to make it). Niskanen is still up & I would much rather keep him than utterly useless Nolan Baumgartner. Baumgartner has been placed on waivers...it'd be awesome if someone would just take him off our hands.