Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-29-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

Things wrong with this board.

Everyone is extremely critical of the Mav's, both it's players and the organization. So many of you have been extremely quick to point out the faults of the Mavericks, that many of you have forgotten that you may possess many worse faults.

Problem 1. This board gets dominated by a few people who push their opinions on everyone. Either you agree with the person posting or suffer the consequences. Instead of being a board where you can post a comment every now and then and see what people think, this is a board that has a few bullies who spend 10- 15 hours a day here pushing everyone into agreeing with them. If they see a post they disagree with, they hammer the poster into submission with 100's of more posts. It gets so bad that certain members are accusing others of racism, just because they don't think Najera is a Great player(sorry sweets, he's not).

Problem 2. Members of this board post at the drop of a hat. I think everyone is so concerned about their status, that they will put up 2 word posts, such as "I agree'. Others will put up 3 consecutive posts in a row saying the same thing. Posting 20 times a day is not a quality poster. Putting up the post"I agree" is not a quality post. I understand that sometimes people want to have fun with their posts, but posting for the sheer sake of bumping your title up to GURU is extremely flawed. Some of the most intelligent posts I've seen on this board have been from Junior members or even new members. Unfortunately, because of the barage of posting, it gets hard to even find those posts. And even more unfortunate, a lot of posters feel they are smarter and have more basketball intelligence based on their title which is definitely not true. Quantity does not equal Quality, despite what your title may say.

Problem 3. This board lacks in critical thinking skills, creativity, research, analysis. This may go back to the 2nd problem of people posting too often. You should think before you speak(or in this case, post)

All the problems can be solved with everyone being a little more critical of what they write first and probably less critical of what others have to say. This is not meant to make any one angry, mad, sad or upset. I think that everyone would prefer not to have to dig through muck to find one good post. And maybe there wouldn't be so many new members running away because they feel the constant barrage of attacks from the more 'seasoned' posters.

signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2003, 02:41 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

4. People such as yourself coming up with lists of what's wrong with the board yet not willing to show who you actually are
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:43 PM   #3
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I agree [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:44 PM   #4
signoftimes

This is who I am. I have never posted here before. I have lurked for a while and decided to post my thoughts. Is there something wrong with that? I don't mean for you to get offended Murph, but you are one of the ones I was talking about.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:47 PM   #5
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

actually i tend to agree with signofthetimes.

and he agreed with you murph about najera not being a great player.

so lets all be friends.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:47 PM   #6
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

you were talking about Murph? holy shit! you had me fooled! i thought it was someone completely different.

fact of the matter is this: if you don't like it, don't post. don't read. no one is forcing you to.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:48 PM   #7
signoftimes

Thanks, UmmmOK, I'm glad to see you have a sense of humor
Old 04-29-2003, 02:52 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

aexchange, with all due respect, i disagree.
and sign of the times, i'm not offended. I know what happens to the board when there is no dominant personalities..and it's not pretty.

I know what happens when people put on the fan club skirts and dance around signing "i love the Mavs" songs. It's not pretty.

The board quickly becomes unihabitable by members with anything of any importance to say about basketball.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:54 PM   #9
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Well if you know me and have lurked awhile, than you know I have one. I come in here to have a good time, talk Mavs Basketball, and try to keep Murph under control. Isn't working I know... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

About the only thing that pisses me off is women that say "I have to go" than sleeps with every guy she sees and than yells rape... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 04-29-2003, 02:57 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Actually, I enjoy reading threads like this. You tend to find out the people that have weak personalities and below average basketball intelligence. They tend to be the ones that get the most upset.

Sure, there's alot of repetition..but you keep the same guys around the same team for a long time, and there will be repitition. and you keep having some of the same debates..sure, certain things can get stale. But like BBL said, move on. Either move to another thread or move on.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:00 PM   #11
signoftimes

Murph, you actually serve a purpose. You do have good basketball opinions and I think you make people think twice before they post, but you do come off as an A$$. I know you're comfortable with that, but you have to agree that there are way too many people who post for the sake of posting which can destroy a board just as bad as not having any dominant personalities.

Also, why does a board need dominant personalities that are bullies? There are plenty of people who come in here and is known by everyone, but they don't act like a jerk to everyone.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:13 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

actually, i'm not a bully. I'm very kind and gentle. Kinda like a teddy bear
Old 04-29-2003, 03:16 PM   #13
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Actually Murph isn't bad, he just gets tired of the "Najera is our lord and ruler" comments, threads, etc.

Well that and he just don't like some people..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2003, 03:20 PM   #14
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Murph is abrasive and over the top. This board is Murph's personal very controversial concert calendar.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:21 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

let's look at the topics in which i'm perceived as a bully in.

umm, ok has drilled one on the head..many are fed up with the "najera is the second coming" threads..and once again, look at that thread, ..it appears that I was the one that was personally attacked twice..but, didn't attack in return with names such as "loser" or "racist"

Pretty intimidating bully..one that didn't fight name calling with name calling..but with his opinion.

now, let's go to the just about the only other topics in recent history..ones concerning david. No explanation needed.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:22 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

dooby, that's pretty good stuff
Old 04-29-2003, 03:44 PM   #17
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

signofthetimes, don't be a weenie.

i'm all about you coming on board and giving murph hell. push back at him. debate him. but to whip out your first post with insults for everybody and the TIRED "boo hoo, Murphy is a meanie" routine, you automatically make yourself irrelevant.

i just can't figure out why some people are so threatened by a guy who likes to present his opinions in an aloof manner. bullish, arrogant, an ass? at least once a week for each of those things. but SO WHAT? I just don't get it. what are you, or anyone for that matter, so scared of? it's just a dude at a keyboard, typing some smack. sometimes it's worthwhile, sometimes it's crap. read it, respond to it, or skip it. you have the choice.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:46 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

I'm allowed "crap" every once in awhile, aren't I?

Personally, I'm just here trying to make the board as solid of a board as it can possibly be...one that we can all be proud of. Everything I do is for the love of the board. I only look out for the board's best interest.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:48 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

besides, the best way to shut anyone up ('cept for maybe one guy with an old man avatar) is to present solid evidence on the contrary to what I say.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:53 PM   #20
signoftimes

Weenie?? Me???

I just posted what I thought a lot of people were thinking. Even Aexchange agreed with some stuff I said. Why am I solely attacked when others agree with me.

And my first post was not whipping out insults to everyone. Again, I was posting what many think. Even Dooby had a sign off that said "just because you can post doesn't mean you should". That was on every one of Dooby's posts, yet no one got offended at that. Again, this reinforces my point from ealier. If someone with a certain title posts something, people give creedance to that, but too often a new member, can't say Sh!t without getting jumped on.

And don't tell me not to post if I don't like something. How about you don't post. If YOU don't like it, or if YOU dont wanbt to read it, how about YOU don't post.

I don't want this to sound mean, and it's not meant as an attack, but it's the same group of 5-8 people who spend all day here that think they can tell everyone else how things are run.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:06 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

Do you feel better now?
Old 04-29-2003, 04:11 PM   #22
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i DO like it, I DO want to post, I DO want to read it. that's why i posted.

i'm not the one complaining here. you are.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:16 PM   #23
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

sott, that's actually my signature [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

the sig came from something funny that dooby said when someone posted something that wasn't even related to a debate. but if your own paranoia scares you into thinking it's aimed at you, that's not my problem or anyone else's.

we have had TONS of New Members show up and go right at it. There's no reason for you to behave any differently. Just start contributing to discussions, and it's all good.

and it's not the 5-8 people on here all day who make this board. it's the 10 or 20 others that show up once a day and slap them around that make it. we have LOTS of great contributors, and we're always ready for more.

but if you show up whining, you're going to get slapped. so just go 'head and talk basketball, and you'll be set.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:21 PM   #24
signoftimes

Actually I was responding to Rhylan saying that I was pulling the Boo Hoo Murph is a meanie routine. Which isn't what I was doing. I simply pointed out some faults with the board. 1. people pushing their weight around, 2. people posting too much, 3. lack of critical thinking skills. To those points, everyone thinks I'm a weenie. Fine. I'm more concerned what people think about the original post,than people calling me a weenie.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:25 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

lack of critical thinking skills?
for someone that has contributed nothing, you definitely have alot of opinions.

It'd probably be very, very difficult to find many people that have contributed more to this board than I have...whether it's just with my opinion or through statistical breakdowns and analysis..
Old 04-29-2003, 04:28 PM   #26
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

<< Actually I was responding to Rhylan saying that I was pulling the Boo Hoo Murph is a meanie routine. Which isn't what I was doing. I simply pointed out some faults with the board. 1. people pushing their weight around, 2. people posting too much, 3. lack of critical thinking skills. To those points, everyone thinks I'm a weenie. Fine. I'm more concerned what people think about the original post,than people calling me a weenie. >>

Okay can we end this now?

1. yes people push their weight around. Push back and you should be okay. Some people do it to weed out the trolls.

2. People have to post too much because we only have a select few that &quot;do&quot; post. If these select few didn't post, it would be like mavtalk. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

3. Sometimes there are a couple of posts that people really didn't put alot of effort into it when they respond. We all have done it, even me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But 90% of the time I always do my research.

Now can we end this? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2003, 04:32 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

don't worry, ummm, ok,..you do your fair share of research.

After retiring from sports writing, I've probably done less statistical analysis than ever before..but, i still do my fair share as well.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:34 PM   #28
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

yeah, murph has the ability to be abrasive and a jerk (whether he's right or not is beside the point).

if you don't like it, go away. but don't make the board worse by complaining.

edit: for harshness
Old 04-29-2003, 04:35 PM   #29
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

<< Actually I was responding to Rhylan saying that I was pulling the Boo Hoo Murph is a meanie routine. >>

Moderators don't like whiners, or complainers - it's a documented fact. Because they start BS threads like this. It's nothing personal against you, I'm just asking you not to make complaining your modus operandi and I'm hopefully warning off others from doing the same.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:38 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

mods are overrated
Old 04-29-2003, 04:39 PM   #31
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

i'd give $1000 if i could make it where you can't edit your CRAP. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2003, 04:41 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

edit my crap?..what do you mean?

ahh, the previous post. It said:

&quot;are mods overrated?&quot;
&quot;of course [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] &quot;

something like that.

but, i thought the wink was cheesy..so i took it out
Old 04-29-2003, 04:44 PM   #33
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Take screen prints of it, put it on a server than bring it back as a .jpg picture. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

of course as much as murph posts, you will need a big server to download all of that &quot;crap&quot; too...

Old 04-29-2003, 04:44 PM   #34
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Actually the problem here is people with either no history or virtually no history of positive contributions show up and start critising what's wrong with the board. This board is far from perfect, but it's just rude start telling how others are not that good when you've done little positive contribution yourself. But that's just my opinion. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2003, 04:45 PM   #35
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

We live in a wimpy society...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:46 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

screw you LRB
Old 04-29-2003, 04:47 PM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

For anyone that may be overly sensitive, I was only joking with LRB.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:48 PM   #38
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

LRB, Murph is hitting on you. You two should go to dinner and go catch a movie. Maybe Sleepless in Seattle at Murphs place? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 04-29-2003, 04:48 PM   #39
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< screw you LRB >>

Actually my day wouldn't be complete without reading how Murphy made an @ss of himself. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

So I guess I can consider my day complete now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2003, 04:50 PM   #40
LRB
Guru

<< LRB, Murph is hitting on you. You two should go to dinner and go catch a movie. Maybe Sleepless in Seattle at Murphs place? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] >>

Please Ummm, my door doesn't swing that way. Besides I wouldn't want to intrude on the thing Murph has going with Najera. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]