Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-24-2002, 12:42 AM   #1
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Cuban is going to show off his first class facilites,and stadium. He's probaly going to offer Rashard a 3 year 15 mil deal. He's also going to tell him he will give him the max after 3 years. Since Cuban always keeps his word Rashard will trust him and he won't want to sign with Seatle because they didnt keep there word and give him the max.He's also going to tell him he will get a chance to be near his family and a shot at winning the title.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Mavs all the Way!

#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2002, 08:26 AM   #2
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Well we'll see if Cuban keeps his word if doesn't decide to trade Bradley.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:50 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

point-counterpoint.

I hope Cubes can pull this off.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 08:51 AM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Damn though...

If Cuban DOESN'T convince Lewis, and he signs with Houstons instead, the Rockets are moving toward having a tough-a$$ed lineup here in a couple of years.

Alright, I'm kind of as intrigued as the rest of you about the possibility of a Lewis signing, but I sure hope he wouldn't turn into a one-year detour that would essentially keep the Mavericks from developing the cohesion and experience necessary to be a champion. If they sign him at all, I hope they're sure that they can keep him.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 09:05 AM   #5
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

HOU is more of a threat of signing him as compared to SEA. Good luck Marko.

BLG
Old 07-24-2002, 09:47 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I think that if Rashard signs with the Mavs for the exception, he will go for a 6 year year with the max raises every year but with a player's option to void the deal after the first year and the third year. The 6 year deal is his guaranteed money. The out after the first year gives him the flexibility to enter next year's free agent market (which should be much better). The out after his third year allows him to use his bird rights to get a max contract.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 10:03 AM   #7
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Now I worked out a possible S&T through the clipps in the first thread about this and got no comments. Now that it is more of a possibility would you guys do a S&T with him making 80-90 mil over 7 years? What would you be willing to give up? I have added my crazy trade below, but really I just want to know if you guys would do more than just the exception. The crazy thing is that the S&T would keep us the Exception to go after role players we would be losing in a trade.

We would have to involve the Clips to swing the deal for us in exchange for Najera. I know they already have a huge draw, but Najera would be a great marketing tool for the owner who might be on the way to pissing off the fans again. In that scenario, Lewis would have to agree to start at 9 mil 6-7years and at that starting price his raises are smaller over the life of the contract, that makes him 4.5milBYC, we S&T Najera for about 4 mil a year to start so he is a 2milBYC to the Clipps along with a trade exception(we have 1 for about 900k), Avery Johnson 5mil, Mladen, and future 1st rounder go to Seattle, the Clipps send a 2nd rounder and Sean Rooks to Dallas to make the money work.

Seattle: gets 5 mil Avery johnson, Mladen and picks which is within the 15% of the 4.5BYC.
Dallas: give Najera 2milBYC(4mil a year starting salary) AJohnson 5mil and trade exception for a total of about 8 mil to get 9mil player which is within the 15%. (Again this is complicated stuff and if this is wrong and we have to get 7.5mil back, then maybe the Clips send us Rooks along with Rashard which would be 4.5BYC+2Mil which is within 15% of what the 7.5mil we sent out, but we might not need Rooks, or we might not need to send the trade exception)
Clipps: get Najera at 4 mil per year.

There are other ways the clipps could work the deal, maybe they would want AJ instead to have a pg with some experience if the Miller deal never happens, then they could package the players to give to the sonics and they keep Najera and AJ. It's all a wild thought, but I'm pretty sure the numbers can be worked out if the a team like the Clippers are willing to be the go between on the deal.
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 10:03 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Good call MFFL. Do you really think we have a shot at getting this done? It would be huge IMO.

Is anyone actually getting to go to the airport?
Old 07-24-2002, 10:05 AM   #9
Drbio
Banned

I don't think a S&T is needed. And where does that 5 mil come from? Isn't the most that can be sent in cash 3 mil?
Old 07-24-2002, 10:07 AM   #10
Stressboy91

Stressboy91 is on a distinguished road

That is Avery's salary this year. I was just trying to show the numbers because doing the BYC stuff gets complicated.
Stressboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 10:15 AM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< Good call MFFL. Do you really think we have a shot at getting this done? It would be huge IMO. >>

I think we have the third best shot in the NBA. Whether we land him is going to be based on whether the perks that Cuban thought would be so important to NBA free-agents really ARE important. We have still never landed a free agent without overpaying for him (Eisley, Hardaway, Manning). Griffin just sort of fell through the cracks.

<< Is anyone actually getting to go to the airport? >>

I will if there will be a group of us.

Old 07-24-2002, 10:20 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

I can't make it because of work. I was hoping someone might take some digitals. I could post them.

Stressboy- all I could find in a few minutes was this:

Dallas Mavericks Date # of total
Player signed years salary misc FA
Greg Buckner .......... 8/5/00 2 $2.3 million '02
Raef LaFrenz .......... 1/23/99 4 $12,086,502 rc '02
Eduardo Najera ........ 7/7/00 2 minimum '02
Johnny Newman ......... 11/27/01 1 minimum '02
Wang Zhizhi ........... 4/4/01 2 minimum '02
Adrian Griffin ........ 7/27/01 2 minimum '03
Danny Manning ......... 7/31/01 2 $3,150,000 '03
Avery Johnson ......... 7/19/01 3 $14,975,400 '04
Steve Nash ............ 7/24/96,1/25/99 3+6 $36.16 million p-opt '04
Nick Van Exel ......... 8/3/99 7 $77 million p-opt '04
Tariq Abdul-Wahad ..... 8/1/00 7 $43.3 million p-opt '05
Shawn Bradley ......... 8/8/01 7 $35 million p-opt '06
Michael Finley ........ 7/23/01 7 $102,265,625 p-opt '06
Dirk Nowitzki ......... 1/21/99,10/23/01 4+6 $6,906,835+~$85mill p-opt '06
Evan Eschmeyer ........ 8/8/01 6 $20 million '07
Old 07-24-2002, 10:27 AM   #13
Stressboy91

Drbio,

Hoopshype still has the salaries like realgm used to, before the NBA made them take it off.

Dallas Salary list on Hoopshype.com

The site is slow though.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:29 AM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Nice site...but you are right...really slow.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:37 AM   #15
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

<< Drbio,

Hoopshype still has the salaries like realgm used to, before the NBA made them take it off.

Dallas Salary list on Hoopshype.com

The site is slow though.
>>

What WAS the deal with the NBA and RealGM? That annoyed the hell out of me.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 10:44 AM   #16
Stressboy91

I'm pretty sure the contract stuff is not supposed to be puplic and the NBA maybe copyright laws were violated. They made them take the actual numbers off and go to some sort of ratio thing.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:00 AM   #17
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

If I was making $10 mil a year, I'd have a billboard with my name, face, and salary on Central Expressway.

I'd do it now, if I could afford it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Hell, the government has to know how much I'm making, and they're the only ones who can make me give them any of it. Why would I care if anyone else knows? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:54 PM   #18
NYMavFan

NYMavFan is on a distinguished road

Question about the airport deal....

I'm curious as to where everyone is going to congregate to meet him. Fans aren't going to be allowed to wait by his gate, and I figure security would go apesh*t about a huge crowd standing ANYWHERE near DFW.
NYMavFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:55 PM   #19
MFFL
Guru

<< Question about the airport deal....

I'm curious as to where everyone is going to congregate to meet him. Fans aren't going to be allowed to wait by his gate, and I figure security would go apesh*t about a huge crowd standing ANYWHERE near DFW.
>>

Maybe Cuban will bail us all out of jail?...
Old 07-24-2002, 04:12 PM   #20
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Lewis is scheduled to arrive at 11:48 a.m. on American Airlines flight 1058. Imguess you just see the bug crowd.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:37 PM   #21
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

On espn.com it says if Lewis likes what he sees in dallas he might leave seattle and be headed to dallas.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:43 PM   #22
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

How could he not like what he sees?
Old 07-24-2002, 10:18 PM   #23
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

I know everything is first class.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:35 PM   #24
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

If, and I say IF, it was me( Lewis). I would consider a few things; the team, it is a very exciting team, and a great group of men, they have fun doing what they do everyday. It always comes down to who you work with and money, what makes you happy. Cuban has a reputation for rewarding performance with $$$. He has a reputation for being a very smart business man. He wants to win, he is a man of his word. He demands performance. Dallas is a great city. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Cubes personally, I do beleive he will achieve his dream. The title. All anyone has to do, is think of how far he has brought this team in such a short time. If you could jump on a wagon outside of the Lakers as an athlete, which one would you jump on? I'd &quot;do&quot; Dallas. Given all the above.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:49 PM   #25
miles berg

miles berg is on a distinguished road

I really, really, really hope we get Rashard Lewis.

I wonder if it is possible that he could sign tomorrow? I know what I have heard and that he likely won't, but can Cuban and company convince him?

Also, anyone know what Mavs will be there? I know Dirk won't, but I hope Finley flies in and the rest of the stars like Nash, LaFrentz, Van Exel, and ofcourse the Nelsons.

I am nervous.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:53 PM   #26
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Miles. Welcome to the board. See you finally ventured over.

I'm not sure who will be there, but I woudn't be surprised if the people you stated will be there.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 10:55 PM   #27
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

To have any hope, a great impression must be made. The more players the better on that fron IMO.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 10:56 PM   #28
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I imagine if any are there it will be Fin, don't know about Nash he might weird him out
Old 07-24-2002, 11:02 PM   #29
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

a couple of things.........we are paying AJ $4,991,800? Wow, we shouldn't need another BU PG with that kind of bling bling for a guy that was a coach for the playoffs. On the subject of OVER PAYED................$4,000,000 for the Mantis? Suggestion!!! Give me a uniform, official NBA socks, size 8 1/2 Jordon's, a warm up suit and a parking spot in the players parking lot and I can give Mark and the Mavs the same thing SB gives them every night. I can get scored on at will, provide no spark coming off the bench, look lost 95% of the time, flop around, be too slow with my feet to give the weekside defense ANY HELP, get dunked on and posterized all for free. I'll even throw in the horrible towel tossin', Nellie cursin' attutide for free.

Someone let Marko know I'm an unrestricted FA and am ready to sign and save him $4mm.

BLG
Old 07-24-2002, 11:06 PM   #30
Kat

BLG- tell us what you really think!

I'm with you all the way!
Old 07-24-2002, 11:10 PM   #31
miles berg

miles berg is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bayliss.

I wish I would have known about this place a long time ago. This is like Heaven for a Mavericks fan.

Anyways, I will be at DFW tomorrow. It is a 2 hour drive but I am going. Anyone else venturing out tomorrow?
Old 07-24-2002, 11:37 PM   #32
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

your a true fan Miles, glad to see it. Welcome!

BLG
Old 07-25-2002, 12:18 AM   #33
Kat

Welcome to the board Miles!