Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-11-2003, 11:23 AM   #41
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of
Default RE:Which big man should the Mavs pursue in the offseason?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirk Nowitzki
I would rather have Mihm or Diop than Big Z. I am not at all impressed with Big Z's post defense. He can damn sure score in the post, but with Jamison & the ever improving Dirk, I do not view that as a "need" for this team. I really wish the Mavs could have found a way to bring Damp in on the GS trade, I think he has just enoygh offensive skill for Nellie to keep him on the floor & would be one of the better post defenders available.
That is the most foolish thing I've seen on this board in a while. Anybody that would rather have Mihm here over Big Z needs to go back to Basketball 101.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:44 AM   #42
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Which big man should the Mavs pursue in the offseason?

Take in to fact the salery implecations & level of talent you would have to give up of Big Z vs Mihm or Diop. Cleveland has made it pretty clear that they are high on big Z as they should be. All I am saying is it would more than likely take more than Walker or whomever the Mavs may be willing to part with to get Big Z. On the other hand, Mihm or Diop could be had with little to no effect on the Mavs "core players". The only way I could see a trade involving Big Z & the Mavs is if we where willing to part with Steve Nash & we all know that aint gonna happen.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:14 PM   #43
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I'm with you. I'd rather sign Mihm for nothing than give up Walker for Ilgauskas.

I'd also like to take issue with the point made that Igauskas is a good interior scoere. He is horrid.

Look at his stats, he shot 44% from the field last year. Two years ago he shot 42%. For a center, those numbers are not only inexcusable, they are indefensable. I do not want to feed my center the ball 20 times a game, when he shoots worse five feet from the basket than my guards do from three-point range! Add that to the fact that he is a below average rebounder for a center (he hasn't had a double digit rebounding game YET, this year), his less-than desirous low post defense, and his tendency to absolutely disappear every other game, and I don't know if I would want him on the court at all.

Take away Z's minutes and his shot attempts, and he looks very, very pedestrian - maybe even less than pedestrian. Mihm is no low post stud by any means, but at least we don't need to package an all-star in order to get him.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:35 PM   #44
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Madape, I'm not convinced that a deal for Z is a good idea. However, he is a player that 'could' become available. I do believe that his FG% would rise playing on a better team (especially if he's asked to do less scoring...similar to how bradley's rose when he was asked to do less offensively).

As for giving up Walker....it's just too early to tell whether or not this will work with 'the big 5'. It's too early to give up on it. However, I do think that it's important to see who could be available in the future if need be.

As for Mihm, I'm intrigued by him a bit. Obviously, if you had to give up something substantial (walker, jamison) to get him, then it's a definite 'no'. But, with his salary, right now the Mavs couldn't give up much for him (the mavs don't have alot of players of significant value that make relatively little...except nash). Obviously, walker or jamison simply doesn't fit salary wise (which you obviously know).

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:11 PM   #45
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

mihm
11 points
5 rebounds
14 minutes
Old 11-14-2003, 07:41 PM   #46
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Anyone interested in Mhemet Okur of Detroit? He looks like he's got the shooting range and the height. He's earning 1 mil this season.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:53 PM   #47
Murphy3
Guru

Unfortunately, Detroit's very interested in him.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:15 PM   #48
Dirk Nowitzki

Simon, Detroit is attempting to clear cap room to sign Okour after the season. He was a second round pick & does not yet have his "Bird rights" so The Pistons are in the same boat as the Warriors where last off season with Arenas. They gotta either clear cap space or hope he will sign for the MLE.
Old 11-14-2003, 08:17 PM   #49
Dirk Nowitzki

Go to realGM.com & take a look at what some Piston fans think of Okur. Lets just say All Star has a rather common tie with his Okurs name over thier. They are really high on the guy.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:36 AM   #50
Murphy3
Guru

The Chris Mihm watch continues.
In 19 minutes, Mihm scored 10 points and grabbed 9 boards...shooting 4-9 from the field. He also added 3 blocks
Old 11-15-2003, 03:14 AM   #51
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

alright, I know he not that tall, or big, or athletic, but I think Jesus is a free agent next season and that whole conquering Death\Hell\Grave thing is a pretty hard move to beat....plus he's unstoppable from inside 17 feet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 11:07 PM   #52
Murphy3
Guru

Chris Mihm continues to impress. In 20 minutes, Mihm scores 3 points (only took 1 shot, but was 3-4 from the FT line)... he grabbed 4 rebounds and blocked 6 shots.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:21 PM   #53
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Chris Mihm continues to impress. In 20 minutes, Mihm scores 3 points (only took 1 shot, but was 3-4 from the FT line)... he grabbed 4 rebounds and blocked 6 shots.
He sounds like a perfect player for Nellie to park on the bench.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 12:24 AM   #54
Murphy3
Guru

yep..
I'm just happy to see him starting to play some solid ball. He's looked good in virtually every game he's played in.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:09 AM   #55
Dirk Nowitzki

That is the problem. The Mavs are gonna have to find a big man who has at least a little offensive game or Nellie will never play him. Mihm is becoming a solid post defender, but his offensive game is just ok. I would love to see him here, but Nellie would not play him.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:30 PM   #56
Murphy3
Guru

Mihm:
21 points
9 rebounds
1 block
10-14 shooting
34 minutes played
Old 11-19-2003, 04:48 PM   #57
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

am i being a little too hesitant when I say that I am not too excited about acquirring another tall white guy with "potential".....yeah the numbers are ok...and the last game was great....but I can't forget the past that easily....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 04:56 PM   #58
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really care what color the guy is. I think the problem with Raef had a lot more to do with his playing style than his color.

And, oh yeah, we do have one tall white guy with potential on our team who turned out alright, I think.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:24 AM   #59
Murphy3
Guru

We do have another tall white guy that happens to be the only defender on the team that can change a game with his defense.

I'm sick of the 'tall white guy' b.s. It was old a long time ago.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:52 AM   #60
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Agreed. Here is another tall white guy that can contribute as a role player. with a younger PG thrown in to boot. Have to wait until mid-December to make it work.

Dallas trades: PF Danny Fortson (2.7 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.0 apg in 11.0 minutes)
PG Travis Best (3.1 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 2.2 apg in 16.0 minutes)
Dallas receives: C Scot Pollard (1.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.2 apg in 11.2 minutes)
PG Jamaal Tinsley (1.8 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 1.8 apg in 10.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -2.8 ppg, -1.6 rpg, and -0.2 apg.

Indiana trades: C Scot Pollard (1.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.2 apg in 11.2 minutes)
Indiana receives: PF Danny Fortson (2.7 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.0 apg in 9 games)
PG Travis Best (3.1 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 2.2 apg in 11 games)
Change in team outlook: +2.8 ppg, +1.6 rpg, and +0.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Dallas and Indiana being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and Indiana had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 10:06 AM   #61
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
Agreed. Here is another tall white guy that can contribute as a role player. with a younger PG thrown in to boot. Have to wait until mid-December to make it work.

Dallas trades: PF Danny Fortson (2.7 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.0 apg in 11.0 minutes)
PG Travis Best (3.1 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 2.2 apg in 16.0 minutes)
Dallas receives: C Scot Pollard (1.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.2 apg in 11.2 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -2.8 ppg, -1.6 rpg, and -0.2 apg.

Indiana trades: C Scot Pollard (1.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.2 apg in 11.2 minutes)
Indiana receives: PF Danny Fortson (2.7 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.0 apg in 9 games)
PG Travis Best (3.1 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 2.2 apg in 11 games)
Change in team outlook: +2.8 ppg, +1.6 rpg, and +0.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Dallas and Indiana being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and Indiana had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Nice try, but I don't see it happening. Pollard would be a nice 15 minute player here, but Indy wouldn't go for Forston or Best. They could have had Best for a cup of tea this offseason. I don't want to say Forston is untradeable because we have traded two players over the past two years who I thought were untradeable, but Fortson will be very difficult to move.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 03:19 PM   #62
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Fron Peter Vecsey

Quote:
At the same time, sources reveal trade discussion involving "Z" have taken place with the Pacers (they have the assets to pull off a multi-player deal) and the Trail Blazers. VP Jim Paxson has interest in Rasheed Wallace, but only if the controversial forward assures him he won't re-sign with Cleveland. Only kidding; it's the other way around. Just wanted to see if you were paying attention.

If "Z" stays put and continues to pass (seven assists) as he did in last Saturday's win over the 76ers, his impact on the Cavs could be bulky.

"Last year he picked up some bad habits because he was trying to score every time he touched it," notes a forward observer. "Understandable on a team that won 17 games without much direction from the head [take that, John Lucas and Keith Smart] coach."
Old 11-21-2003, 03:23 PM   #63
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I lend zero credence to anything that Peter Vecsey says.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 03:29 PM   #64
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I saw that, and I trust Peter Vecsey about as much as you do, kingrex. I can maybe see Indiana as being possible, but I don't think there's anyway that the Cavs would want to surround LeBron and the rest of those kids with any of the trash Portland would try to unload on them.