Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-06-2003, 03:30 PM   #1
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default Which big man should the Mavs pursue in the offseason?

I know its early but I want to talk about something different for awhile.

There are some big men who could really help the Mavs in the offseason and all of them will be available for the MLE or less.

Vlade Divac. I think he's got another couple of years in the tank if his minutes are managed properly.

Dale Davis. I like the attitude and the toughness. He's getting up there in years too but he is a good solid player.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2003, 03:43 PM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Which big man should the Mavs pursue in the offseason?

Divac, no.
Davis, yes.

IMO...
Old 11-06-2003, 03:46 PM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Shaquille. We won't be happy, we won't be able to defeat the Lakers in a 7 games series if they continue having him and we don't. Only injuries would change this fate or in other miracle, Duncan (if he kick them out again for us).

If not Shaquille, the second best Center of the league, just for being the second best team of the league, with a little more odds to beat the Lakers -plus a lot of luck. Who is him?

Possibly Duncan or

Ben Wallace
Jermain O'Neal
Brad Miller

Maybe Divac or Davis could improve some the 5 spot, but not enough, I think.

If it's a matter of money and Dallas doesn't want to expend more, we don't have many choices, and still will be behind Shaq and his new nuclear bomb.

Old 11-06-2003, 03:48 PM   #4
Max Power
Banned

Default RE:Which big man should the Mavs pursue in the offseason?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Shaquille. We won't be happy, we won't be able to defeat the Lakers in a 7 games series if they continue having him and we don't. Only injuries would change this fate or in other miracle, Duncan (if he kick them out again for us).

If not Shaquille, the second best Center of the league, just for being the second best team of the league, with a little more odds to beat the Lakers -plus a lot of luck. Who is him?

Possibly Duncan or

Ben Wallace
Jermain O'Neal
Brad Miller

Maybe Divac or Davis could improve some the 5 spot, but not enough, I think.

If it's a matter of money and Dallas doesn't want to expend more, we don't have many choices, and still will be behind Shaq and his new nuclear bomb.
Lets stay realistic. We aren't going to get any of the players you mention. That was the point of this thread - free agent big men that the Mavs have a shot of getting.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:52 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, this is a good thread to start. Perhaps you'd just like to discuss possible off season acquisitions or the thread could be expanded to include centers that could be acquired at some point during the season via trade.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 03:56 PM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

You are right, it is too early to talk about this. But there are some interesting vets coming off contracts next year. I'd prefer not to give up any important pieces in trade.

Here's a list of guys I think might deserve some interest:

Dale Davis
Rasheed Wallace
Adonal Foyle
Greg Ostertag
Chris Mihm
Stromile Swift
Jake Tsakalitis
Joel Przybilla
Antonio McDyess
Robert Traylor
Ruben Boumtje Boumtje
Keon Clark
Etan Thomas
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:00 PM   #7
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Either Divac or Davis would be excellent additions.

I also like the idea of bringing in Sabonis for the playoff run.

As for centers that could be acquired via trade this season, I'd love to make a run at Zydrunas Ilgauskas or Theo Ratliff. I think both could be reasonably acquired.

Old 11-06-2003, 04:02 PM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
You are right, it is too early to talk about this. But there are some interesting vets coming off contracts next year. I'd prefer not to give up any important pieces in trade.

Dale Davis
Rasheed Wallace
Adonal Foyle
Greg Ostertag
Chris Mihm
Stromile Swift
Jake Tsakalitis
Joel Przybilla
Antonio McDyess
Robert Traylor
Ruben Boumtje Boumtje
Keon Clark
Etan Thomas
Davis, Foyle, Ostertag, and Swift interest me on this list.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:04 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Chris Mihm
I watched Mihm play some last night. I can't figure out why he hasn't played better in the past, but he's looked good in VERY limited action this year. No, I don't expect him to ever be anything close to a cornerstone of a franchise. But, the guy hasn't looked too bad defensively. Plus, he's got a decent jumper offensively. I can imagine that he'd come pretty cheap. But, how much is he worth?
Old 11-06-2003, 04:05 PM   #10
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Old 11-06-2003, 04:08 PM   #11
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
I know its early but I want to talk about something different for awhile.

There are some big men who could really help the Mavs in the offseason and all of them will be available for the MLE or less.

Vlade Divac. I think he's got another couple of years in the tank if his minutes are managed properly.

Dale Davis. I like the attitude and the toughness. He's getting up there in years too but he is a good solid player.
Currently, Divac earns 12 mil and is on the last year of his contract. I doubt he leaves the Kings coz he has his little buddy named Peja over there and he's already very comfortable in his position. If Cuban can something out that is not financially damaging, that would be incredible.

Dale Davis currently earns 9 mil and is also on the last year of his contract. He'll need to take a pay cut to join the Mavs. 6'11 252 lbs. I'll take him
Old 11-06-2003, 04:26 PM   #12
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Id like to see us make a move on Mihm or clark. They wont ask for as much money. And we are still lacking a true perimeter defender
Old 11-06-2003, 04:36 PM   #13
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
Currently, Divac earns 12 mil and is on the last year of his contract. I doubt he leaves the Kings coz he has his little buddy named Peja over there and he's already very comfortable in his position. If Cuban can something out that is not financially damaging, that would be incredible.

Dale Davis currently earns 9 mil and is also on the last year of his contract. He'll need to take a pay cut to join the Mavs. 6'11 252 lbs. I'll take him
I doubt that the Kings resign Divac because of his age and the money that they spent on his replacement. Divac >might< retire but I doubt it.

I like Davis a lot. He would be a perfect compliment to Bradley. A Fortson type with actual skill.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:39 PM   #14
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
You are right, it is too early to talk about this.
But its more fun than bashing the Mavs because they haven't jelled yet.

Quote:
But there are some interesting vets coming off contracts next year. I'd prefer not to give up any important pieces in trade.
I agree. The difference between one of these free agents and someone that we would have to try to trade for is minimal.

Quote:

Dale Davis
Rasheed Wallace
Adonal Foyle
Greg Ostertag
Chris Mihm
Stromile Swift
Jake Tsakalitis
Joel Przybilla
Antonio McDyess
Robert Traylor
Ruben Boumtje Boumtje
Keon Clark
Etan Thomas
Foyle and Tag also interest me.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:43 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jamisonite
Id like to see us make a move on Mihm or clark. They wont ask for as much money. And we are still lacking a true perimeter defender
I brought up Mihm more or less wanting some feedback from other members on what they've seen from the guy. Personally, I don't know how much he helps the Mavs. He just might be a poor man's Raef LaFrentz. But, I haven't completely given up hope on him.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:45 PM   #16
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Dampier. Chandler. Curry.

And before you start the "Chandler is not a Center" chant - he´s more of a Center than Dirk.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:54 PM   #17
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

I think Divac's guile and his decent passing skill would make him a good fit here, and I'd like to see keon clark in a mavs uniform simply because its no longer us he's screwing on last secod put backs.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:55 PM   #18
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Dale Davis
Rasheed Wallace
Adonal Foyle
Greg Ostertag
Chris Mihm
Stromile Swift
Jake Tsakalitis
Joel Przybilla
Antonio McDyess
Robert Traylor
Ruben Boumtje Boumtje
Keon Clark
Etan Thomas

Ape I do think that by bringing this up so early that we can have a chance to check out these players performances against Shaq and Duncan and other premier post players. While there a quite a few posters who do watch many of these players going against the Lakers, Spurs, and such; there are many who might only see them perform against the Mavs. Their peformance against us might not be the best measure of what needs of ours if any they would fulfill. We need guys who would be successful in improving our performance against Shaq, Duncan, etc. not who do well against the Mavs.

Of the list I especially like Foyle. Nobody else jumps out at me though. I do think that we should try not to get another vertically challenged center like the potato no matter how strong he is. We should also look for someone with some mass. Above all we don't want another passive center on D and rebounding. I think that Foyle has good size and height and he appears to play very agressive defending and rebounding.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:57 PM   #19
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Dale Davis
Rasheed Wallace
Adonal Foyle
Greg Ostertag
Chris Mihm
Stromile Swift
Jake Tsakalitis
Joel Przybilla
Antonio McDyess
Robert Traylor
Ruben Boumtje Boumtje
Keon Clark
Etan Thomas

I think Jake Tsakalitis would directly benifit the Mavs more than any other player on that list
Old 11-06-2003, 04:58 PM   #20
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

that Ruben guy intrigued me the one time i have seen him play, enormious, stout, and a true banger . . .
Old 11-06-2003, 05:00 PM   #21
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
And before you start the "Chandler is not a Center" chant - he´s more of a Center than Dirk.
Since when thats a good enough reason to bring him over?He's young,too young,we dont need talent right now,we need proven post defenders.

Now Dampier,thats a player i would love seeing in a mavs unis.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 05:08 PM   #22
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Davis-maybe
Swift- intriguing but probably will get more then the mle.
Robert Traylor- would certainly give us a physical presence in the paint.
Divac- Still is a crafty old big man, who can post you up and pass with pinpoint precision.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 05:15 PM   #23
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

Jake is the most physical guy on that list by far.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:19 PM   #24
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: nowitzki_prophecy
Quote:
Since when thats a good enough reason to bring him over?He's young,too young,we dont need talent right now,we need proven post defenders.

Now Dampier,thats a player i would love seeing in a mavs unis.

k, I take 15.5 rebounds a game and 2.25 blocks along with close to .500 career-shooting and great inside instincts as argument.

And actually it´s the ONLY argument counting for me, since neither Jake nor any Ruben might give us much Dirk cannot give us already, yet Chandler is already a better player than those.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:32 PM   #25
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
k, I take 15.5 rebounds a game and 2.25 blocks along with close to .500 career-shooting and great inside instincts as argument.
well,so far Rashard Lewis has 37.5 PPG,you wanna call him an MVP?
Old 11-06-2003, 06:12 PM   #26
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: nowitzki_prophecy
Quote:
well,so far Rashard Lewis has 37.5 PPG,you wanna call him an MVP?

This question might settle any further discussion with you.

Over his Carreer, Chandler grabs a rebound every 3.66 minutes (Dirk gets one every 4.35).

Only counting the last season and the current, he´s at 3.42 minutes for a board.

This year it´s 2.34, but that will drop a bit.

And yeah, if you call a MVP for the first week, Rashard Lewis has to be strongly recognized.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:49 PM   #27
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I say next Summer would be a great time to bring hometown hero Tag back to Big D...
Old 11-06-2003, 07:20 PM   #28
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

It will be the same crap as last summer. Talk talk talk talk and then a little bit more talk and no one will come to dallas above 6'8.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:37 PM   #29
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirk2003
It will be the same crap as last summer. Talk talk talk talk and then a little bit more talk and no one will come to dallas above 6'8.

I don't think so. I think Cuban will have a checklist and he'll go down the list until we find a center. There are 4 or 5 guys who can help us and one of them will take our money. The key is to strike quickly and don't limit your talks to one player.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:00 PM   #30
Cybertx

Cybertx is on a distinguished road

I like a lot Detroit to trade they have pretty decents big guys. Improbable yes but they have a lot of players.
Cybertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 10:18 PM   #31
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think so. I think Cuban will have a checklist and he'll go down the list until we find a center. There are 4 or 5 guys who can help us and one of them will take our money. The key is to strike quickly and don't limit your talks to one player.
history says otherwise
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 10:22 PM   #32
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Crippler
Quote:
Quote:

history says otherwise
Cuban's a smart man - he won't continue to make the same mistake.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:46 PM   #33
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I fail to see his mistake. He tried the ZO thing it didn't work out. So then they traded nick and Raef for Jamison and Walker. It takes a while to find the formula for success. We were 5-0 last year yet no one gave us the title. Its all about how we finish the end of the season. Its not over until I say it is. This my friends is just an extended training camp.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 11:09 PM   #34
Cybertx

Cybertx is on a distinguished road

Yes but the only way mavs is gonna win games and the league is outscoring everybody else, but you can see that finley it's not in his level anymore and they still can't stop any team with big players and i doubt they ever will.

Too soon yet ok, but you kind of see the spurs and lakers already gettin a little more cohesive in their play.
Cybertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:38 AM   #35
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

Quote:
And yeah, if you call a MVP for the first week, Rashard Lewis has to be strongly recognized.
We need a player for more than the first week.

Quote:
Only counting the last season and the current, he´s at 3.42 minutes for a board.
His rebounding abileties were never an issue,his post defense was,he isn't that good at the post right now and we can't spare the time to wait.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:02 AM   #36
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Okay.............I cant believe no one has mentioned this.

The answer to the question is.................Theo Ratliff....... or Shareef Abdul Rahim......... or Nasi Mohammed (Sp?)......... or maybe all three together!

Why?

Cause they will porbably come at the CHEEPEST PRICE being that Atlanta wants to clear cap room for next season to start the rebuilding process down there.

So as if Dallas hasnt "raped" enought teams of their talent already...........they could add Atlanta to there "teams to rape" list.

That is if someone doesnt beat them to the punchline like per say...........the Rockets or Knicks as has been rumored.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:02 AM   #37
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Theo Ratliff. His game is pretty much defense. I have no problem with that.

I also like Dale Davis and would settle for Tag, Foyle or Thomas.

Murph, Chris Mihm once suckered me into believing he'd be a good NBA center. He'll never do that again.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:30 AM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

On to the Chris Mihm watch:
He's not getting alot of minutes but he's producing with the minutes that he's receiving.

Last night:

17 minutes
19 points
6-13 FG
7-7 FT
4 Rebs.

On the season:
10.8 mpg
50% FG%
6.3 Pts
76.9 FT%
4.2 Rebs.

That's not that I'm interested necessarily in Mihm, but if Cleveland gets more production out of him and Diop, Z could be available. Of course, I'm not 100% sure about him either (but definitely a possibility if things don't work out as nellie has planned in Dallas).
Old 11-11-2003, 09:56 AM   #39
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road

I would rather have Mihm or Diop than Big Z. I am not at all impressed with Big Z's post defense. He can damn sure score in the post, but with Jamison & the ever improving Dirk, I do not view that as a "need" for this team. I really wish the Mavs could have found a way to bring Damp in on the GS trade, I think he has just enoygh offensive skill for Nellie to keep him on the floor & would be one of the better post defenders available.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:00 AM   #40
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road

The problem with getting Tag, Theo or Dale Davis is if any of these teams are truly looking to cut payroll next year, they will keep them. All of them are free agents next year & the only guys the Mavs have that are in the final years of thier contracts are Daniels & Best meaning a trade for any of those three would require those teams to take on money.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote