Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-17-2003, 11:13 AM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default Hakeem Olajuwan

Is he officially retired? He was cut by the Raptors this summer and is a free agent. Would the Mavs be interested in picking him up for the playoff run?

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2003, 11:41 AM   #2
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Hakeem Olajuwan

I think he's worth a look now for that 15th roster spot. What do we have to lose? As long as he passess the physical and we don't automatically sign him for a contract, but one of those 10 day deals that can be extended as his play allows, what's the harm?
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 11:47 AM   #3
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Hakeem Olajuwan

I think Donnie is still holding on to the hope that Sabonis will join the team closer to the end of the year.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 11:59 AM   #4
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

I think he's too busy rehearsing for his role in the new Jurassic Park movie.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #5
Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki is on a distinguished road

Sabonis probably has more left in the tank than Hakeem. Hakeem was soo great, but his skills are probably shot. Sabonis on the other hand is still around 7'3" 290. If I had to pick a 40+ year old center, I would rather he be 7'3" 290 than 6"11 250.
Dirk Nowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 12:41 PM   #6
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirk Nowitzki
Sabonis probably has more left in the tank than Hakeem. Hakeem was soo great, but his skills are probably shot. Sabonis on the other hand is still around 7'3" 290. If I had to pick a 40+ year old center, I would rather he be 7'3" 290 than 6"11 250.
I probably should have clarified that I meant Hakeem would be starring in the new jurrasic park movie, not Sabonis. Although, you could probably make a case for either...and add Oakley. Those are three dinosaurs.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:57 PM   #7
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirk Nowitzki
I probably should have clarified that I meant Hakeem would be starring in the new jurrasic park movie, not Sabonis. Although, you could probably make a case for either...and add Oakley. Those are three dinosaurs.
They are all old, I agree, but for the 15th spot, don't you think it's worth a look?
Old 11-17-2003, 01:53 PM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take Sabonis or Olajuwon, but not Oakley.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:28 PM   #9
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Hakeem would bring the "heart of a champion" to the Mavs. His experience and leadership would be very valuable in my opinion. He could certainly come in and give 10 minutes of spot-relief during a playoff series.

I wouldn't want to depend on him to do too much more than that. But in that role he'd certainly help us out, even at his age.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 06:30 PM   #10
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I would only like to have Olajuwon if Nellie plays him. I don't want him just collecting a paycheck. If he puts Dirk at the PF position during the start of games, the answer is yes. Otherwise, no need to spend the money.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:35 PM   #11
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Simon2
I would only like to have Olajuwon if Nellie plays him. I don't want him just collecting a paycheck. If he puts Dirk at the PF position during the start of games, the answer is yes. Otherwise, no need to spend the money.
That goes for any player. That's why I thought it ended up being a waste having Popeye Jones here last year. Although we were able to package him for the Jamison trade.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:37 PM   #12
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

I do not want this guy at all, the geezer has nothing left![img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 06:39 PM   #13
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
I do not want this guy at all, the geezer has nothing left![img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
But how will you really know without even bringing him in for a look. I mean it's only the 15th roster spot. Right?
Old 11-18-2003, 09:14 AM   #14
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Even if he sucks eggs, he has rings, knows how to win in the playoffs and could pass on valuable insight to the team. I think madape's point is a good one.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 11:57 AM   #15
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Hakeem is surely worth considering for the 15th spot, I would rather have Sabonis, but this would be worth looking into.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:10 PM   #16
kingrex
Platinum Member

Is that a new avatar Dirkenstein?
Old 11-18-2003, 03:03 PM   #17
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Yes it is

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 11-18-2003, 03:08 PM   #18
kingrex
Platinum Member

Sharp. Do you have one in a lion?
Old 11-18-2003, 04:12 PM   #19
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Actually I think that Hakeem would make an excellent big man coach. If we don't get him as a player, maybe we could get him as a coach. I'd like to see Hakeem spend time with Dirk on his lowpost game.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:09 PM   #20
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

I'd rather have Sabas. Hell, he could even teach our forwards a thing or two about passing the ball, his built alone makes him take over the EC even if he'd be playing Mantis-minutes, and, I am repeating myself, he still can dominate, just look at what he did against us this may.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 09:55 PM   #21
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

How about we go for someone that is of the NBA playing age, why do we want a bunch of old guys. Let's play this year with what we have, which isn't a bad rebounding team AT ALL so far, and get a good big man from the free agency...
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:44 AM   #22
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
How about we go for someone that is of the NBA playing age, why do we want a bunch of old guys. Let's play this year with what we have, which isn't a bad rebounding team AT ALL so far, and get a good big man from the free agency...
Because 1) we need another tall body for center this year. Dirk and Shawn are our only players over 6'9". 2) Sabonis and Hakeem are probably better than anyone we have a legitimate shot at getting this year. 3) It's not rebounding that we need help, but post defense and lane defense. 3) next years Free agency won't help up in this years playoffs versus big lineups by the Spurs, Lakers, Kings, and TWolves.

And as I said if we can get one of the old guys with tons of knowledge about post offense and defense, it would be great to have him tutor Dirk. I'm sorry but I saw Mokawski play and I don't think he's in the same league as Hakeem or Sabonis in knowledge about post play.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:50 AM   #23
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I saw hakeem sitting the bench of some team and then it was mentioned that he was an assistant coach. Did anyone hear anything about this or am I confusing people?
Old 11-20-2003, 03:14 PM   #24
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

when you're talking 15th spot, you are basically talking about moral support...who would be better than the Dream?

but the question that must be asked is why would he take the 15th....just to have a chance to get a ring???he should probably knock on LA's door if that was his only consideration.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 04:35 PM   #25
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

how about pull David Robinson out of retirement [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 07:56 PM   #26
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Actually I think that Hakeem would make an excellent big man coach. If we don't get him as a player, maybe we could get him as a coach. I'd like to see Hakeem spend time with Dirk on his lowpost game.
Not a bad idea. Who was Dream's big man coach? Moses Malone?

I think the translators would need translators.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 02:04 AM   #27
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: bernardos70
I think I saw hakeem sitting the bench of some team and then it was mentioned that he was an assistant coach. Did anyone hear anything about this or am I confusing people?

To my knowledge there is nothing of the sort. Perhaps you may be thinking of Patrick Ewing coaching as an assistant with the Rockets.