Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-16-2004, 11:42 PM   #241
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Phoenix @ Dallas Gameday Thread

What a game. It was fun to watch, despite the bummer ending. I thought for sure when Dirk came back in the game (in the 4th)it was ours for the taking.

But I'm not that bummed. Devin looked fantastic. The refs blew two obvious goaltending calls. Dampier and Terry got hurt, not to mention Finley. When you take 3 key pieces away from any team it's hard to win a game.

Nash looked great. He is a good.

And Stackhouse is looking pretty good. Hopefully he will continue to do so and be our "Jamison" with Defensive ability.

It's only just begun, and I'm having so much frickin' fun.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:49 PM   #242
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Phoenix @ Dallas Gameday Thread

You can see when Dirk has a good shooting night that this team is hard to beat. But with Finley out and dirk doesn't carry the team offensively the team will struggle until they learn to play together.

The Mavs played that scramble game like they did in Orlando when they came back from a deficit. The problem is the mavs play a helter skelter game with a lot of one on one play. It is tough to get out of that style and the Mavs really needed better ball movement late in the fourth quarter. That should come in time, but it will take time.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:51 PM   #243
acebball

acebball has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Observations from a complete homer Mavs fan seated in section 329 tonight at the AAC (me):

1) Nellie coached to lose this game...Playing freakin' Calvin Booth only in the 1st half, none in the 2nd half and playing Bradley only in the 2nd half and none in the 1s half. How your DNP-CD's get time in the 2nd toughtest game ytd is beyond me...and how you can find any consistency as a player when you are at a stoplight that constantly changes colors...stops and starts...

2) Nellie coached to lose this game...he noticeably did not argue against poor calls as he typically would...it seemed so as to avoid ruffling his beloved prodigal son...

3) Most interesting observation...prior to the tip, Nash went down the Mav's bench and hugged everyone...I mean everyone....except Cuban...no love lost there...

4) Daniels is weak...whoever had said he doesn't know how to pass is right...he shoots everything...and to think he is getting paid multipes of King James (ah, the CBA)...

5) Nellie coached to lose this game...He sat Dirk the first SIX minutes of the 4th quarter...granted five fouls, but come on...

6) Nash actually threw an elbow at Bradley...highlights what little respect Bradley gets around the league...an elbow from an acknowledged pacificist canadian...

7) Nellie coached to lose this game...At some point in the game (5 or so minutes), Hendu was the tallest player we had on the floor...did Nellie forget we have a 7 ft tall Judo champion on the bench...

8) Funny enough, there was a crazy, balding short man and briight red face with floor tickets that was AWESOME...he got in the refs' face on every bad call, which were too numerous tonight to count...and

9) Finally, I would be very, very happy to take on this Phoenix team in the playoffs...they treated it as a playoff game as they only had an 8 man rotation with all of their starters logging big minutes and they could barely beat us without three of our best seven players...Mavs will dominate this year!!!!!!

10) Because every list needs ten items, go MAVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11) Also...due to the injuries, most of the game we had 5 guys on the floor who have never played played one minute together (i.e., at the same time) the entire season...again...Nellie's is bad and the Mavs rock in spite of him!
acebball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:54 PM   #244
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

so uh acebball, how did nellie do tonight? lol
Quote:
Originally posted by: acebball
Observations from a complete homer Mavs fan seated in section 329 tonight at the AAC (me):

1) Nellie coached to lose this game...Playing freakin' Calvin Booth only in the 1st half, none in the 2nd half and playing Bradley only in the 2nd half and none in the 1s half. How your DNP-CD's get time in the 2nd toughtest game ytd is beyond me...and how you can find any consistency as a player when you are at a stoplight that constantly changes colors...stops and starts...

2) Nellie coached to lose this game...he noticeably did not argue against poor calls as he typically would...it seemed so as to avoid ruffling his beloved prodigal son...

3) Most interesting observation...prior to the tip, Nash went down the Mav's bench and hugged everyone...I mean everyone....except Cuban...no love lost there...

4) Daniels is weak...whoever had said he doesn;t know how to pass is right...he shoots everything...and to think he is getting paid multipes of King James (ah, the CBA)...

5) Nellie coached to lose this game...He sat Dirk the first SIX minutes of the 4th quarter...granted five fouls, but come on...

6) Nash actually threw an elbow at Bradley...highlights what little respect Bradley gets around the league...an elbow from an acknowledged pacificist canadian...

7) Nellie coached to lose this game...At some point in the game (5 or so minutes), Hendu was the tallest player we had on the floor...did Nellie forget we have a 7 ft tall Judo champion on the bench...

8) Funny enough, there was a crazy, balding short mad with floor tickets that was AWESOME...he got in the refs' face on every bad call, which were too numerous tonight to count...and

9) Finally, I would be very, every happy to take this Phoenix team on in the playoffs...thgey treated as a playoff game as they only had a 8 man rotation with all of their starters logging big minutes and they could barley beat without three of our best seven players...Mavs will dominate this year!!!!!!

10) Because every list needs ten items, go MAVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:01 AM   #245
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Tough loss, we certainly see what not having the buld of dampier does to the team, makes them pretty soft inside.

Bradley gets more crappy calls than anyone I've ever seen.

Tough competitive game, with finley, damp, terry out and 'quis looking about 50% at best, the team competed and got back into it with some tough defense in the zone.

Although I was pretty tough on nellie, ragging on him for this one is bush. Team got beat, the suns were better tonight.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:06 AM   #246
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I thought Booth was a good choice. He's more mobile than Bradley, more schooled in the game than DJ, and more of a shotblocking presence than Hendu.
Quote:
5 fouls AND the Mavs were on a run without him. If Dirk had been playing well tonight, or if the Mavs had been struggling without him I'd be irritated about the prolonged trip to the pine, but neither of those turned out to be the case.
Quote:
Agreed.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:10 AM   #247
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry guys for not coming through...in terms of opening a gameday thread...it was a nice 3 game winning streak. Not to make excuses...well...screw that...I will make excuses...but it's hard to overcome terrible officiating and essentially playing the game without Dampier and Terry...not to mention Finley. Hopefully...we can bounce back 3 days from now against New York. Go Mavs!
akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:11 AM   #248
acebball

Wednesday November 17, 2004 0:06 AM (NEW!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought Booth was a good choice. He's more mobile than Bradley, more schooled in the game than DJ, and more of a shotblocking presence than Hendu
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

I hear you there GMC...but...why has Booth sat on the bench the first 8 games...we say it every year...Nellie does not allow his players to get in the flow of the games...how a DNP-CD's all the sudden becomes the backup center when Damp went down is beyond me...however, he played ok...I personally would have preferred to see the judo chamopin chop down on "Got Milk" ROY when he bulled into the lane for the 45th time...
Old 11-17-2004, 12:20 AM   #249
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Bradley played much better than booth. Dirk was ragging on booth all night about something. I'm starting to wonder if he has danny fortson disease.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 11-17-2004, 12:34 AM   #250
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone who has seen the last two games comment on overall team defense?

Looking at FG% allowed and points allowed - it's not as pretty as we've played in the first couple weeks.. are we reverting back to our old ways? Or are we still staying in front of our man, getting our hands up and being physical? It's just a case of the opposing teams playing strong offensively?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:52 AM   #251
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

DALLAS (AP) -- Steve Nash made the strange walk to the visitors' locker room, relieved at having his first game against the Dallas Mavericks out of the way.

And thrilled with how it turned out.

Nash scored 17 points and had 18 assists, many setting up Amare Stoudemire's 34 points, leading the Phoenix Suns past the Dallas Mavericks 107-101 on Tuesday night.

``I can't think of a more emotional game that I've had than this one,'' Nash said. ``I didn't have any tears, but I was definitely nervous. I think it's just natural. There were so many memories here.''

Nash's assists were the most this season in the NBA, topping the 17 he had in an overtime loss at Cleveland last Wednesday. It also was one shy of his career best. The only downer was that he had the wrong kind of triple-double -- points, assists and turnovers. He gave the ball away 10 times, four in the third quarter, after doing so just 18 times in the first six games this season.

``They're trying to get used to me and I'm trying to get used to them -- as you can see by my 10 turnovers,'' Nash said.

Although Nash broke into the league with Phoenix, he's best known for the last six years in Dallas.

With him pushing the offense, the Mavs became one of the NBA's top teams and he became one of the most popular players in town. He was a free agent last summer and wanted to stay, but couldn't resist when Phoenix offered $60 million guaranteed in July.

The locals didn't hold a grudge. ``Thanks Steve'' and ``Welcome Back Nash'' were among the signs waived by fans and there were plenty of kids wearing his No. 13 Dallas jerseys, including one youngster holding a poster that said, ``Nash has been to my house.''

``It's overwhelming to see that kind of support,'' Nash said.

After a nice ovation during pregame introductions, Nash made his way along the Dallas bench shaking hands, slapping backs and embracing coaches Don Nelson and Del Harris and former teammate Michael Finley.

Then Nash made himself right at home, scoring or assisting on 12 of Phoenix's first 17 baskets. He opened the second half with a 3-pointer and another jumper and soon after the Suns were up by 15.

But the Mavericks rallied to tie and even led by five early in the fourth quarter, despite losing center Erick Dampier (strained hip) and backup point guard Jason Terry (sprained ankle) in the first half and being without Dirk Nowitzki for about 10 crucial minutes after he picked up his fifth foul with 3:39 left in the third quarter.

Nowitzki tied it at 93 with 4:28 left, then Stoudemire put Phoenix up for good with a driving layup. Nash fed Shawn Marion for a jumper that stretched the lead and the Suns were off on a 10-2 run that sealed the victory.

Stoudemire scored his most points of the season and four shy of his career best. It was a nice way to spend his 22nd birthday, but he knew this was Nash's night.

``I still have a lot to learn, that's why I'm glad Steve Nash is here to teach us the ropes,'' Stoudemire said. ``Steve's one of the best in the league as far as getting you the ball in the right spot.''

Marion and Quentin Richardson each scored 18 points. Marion had 14 rebounds and Richardson 13 as the Suns capitalized on Dampier's absence to pull down 10 more rebounds than Dallas.

The Mavericks lost at home for the first time this season on their fourth try. They won their first 12 at home last season and finished with a league-best 36 home wins.

Nowitzki, who went to dinner with good buddy Nash the night before, finished with 20 points and 16 rebounds. He never fouled out but was so frustrated that he got a technical foul in the closing minutes, sending Nash to the line for his final point.

``I'm used to playing with him, but we've got to move on and put it behind us,'' Nowitzki said. ``I guess we've got to get used to him in a purple and orange uniform.''

Jerry Stackhouse, who had 28 points each of the last two games, scored 21, including buzzer-beaters at the end of the second and third quarters.

The most promising sign for Dallas was seeing the new leader of its offense, rookie Devin Harris, have career highs with 15 points and five steals, plus five assists. He also played his most minutes (36), primarily because of Terry's absence.

Notes

Dampier hopes to play in Dallas' next game Friday night. ... Phoenix was without backup guard Leandro Barbosa (sprained ankle). He's day-to-day. ... The Suns last won in Dallas on Jan. 13, 2001, ending a streak of seven straight losses. ... The Mavs have allowed 100 points in consecutive games after not doing so the first seven.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:14 AM   #252
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

>4) Daniels is weak...whoever had said he doesn't know how to pass is right...he shoots everything...and to think he is getting paid multipes of King James (ah, the CBA)...

I agree 100% with this. Daniels is a BALL HOG
Old 11-17-2004, 03:49 AM   #253
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

Well I have come to the conclusion that 2 posters with a combined total of 12 only started watching Mr. Daniels this year. Don't worry he will show why he got the big bucks in the months to come.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:56 AM   #254
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

He might show why he was undrafted too. I worry about Marquis, he is not a guaranteed thing like Harris is.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:40 AM   #255
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

>Well I have come to the conclusion that 2 posters with a combined total of 12 only started watching Mr. Daniels this year.

You would be wrong in that conclusion. I am a long time mavs fan. He filled in nicely last year but as I remember there were many threads on here and all over the net saying he shot too much. If i could remember my old handle and pass from 3 years ago i would have used that. He shot far too much around playoff time last year. He did do well in some games however. That does not excuse him of criticism of late though.

>Don't worry he will show why he got the big bucks in the months to come.

let's hope so
Old 11-17-2004, 07:07 AM   #256
acebball

Right on Phil...because I haven't posted much, I must not watch basketball much...much to wife's chagrin, I have attended or watched almost every Mav's game for the last three years...I just happen to have a different opinion about a player than you and, without doing any research (research done...http://www.nba.com/mavericks/schedul..._2003.html...3 out of 6 when Daniels leads team in scoring), it's generally bad news when quesy leds the team in scoring. he is a good NBA player who has no business handling the ball, at this point in his career, as much as Terry or Harris in my opinion...and I'm cheering for him as well...but Nellie, please get the ball out of his hands when possible...and work with him on his decision making...he has excellent potential but needs to be groomed by Avery a bit better (no pun intended)...
Old 11-17-2004, 11:04 AM   #257
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Daniels thinks "score" first, and "score" second, and then maybe "fake a pass so I can score" third....some where down the road in Quis's thought process is "pass"....I don't care what C's assist per 48 stats say...this guy does not like to or know when to pass the ball.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:11 AM   #258
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't care what C's assist per 48 stats say...this guy does not like to or know when to pass the ball.
He is, however, 4th on the team behind Shawn, Dirk, and Terry (and ahead of the other three swingmen) in +/-, with a net of +3.1 and an on-court of +10.6 this year, so I'm pretty sure he's not all bad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2004, 11:26 AM   #259
sbjensen

sbjensen will become famous soon enough

Based on my observations, Daniels' "ballhog" tendencies manifest themselves mostly on the break, where he almost never passes. In the halfcourt set, I think he's a good passer, and makes much better decisions in general.

He seems to have blinders on during the fast break. I really suspect it's a court vision issue.

Nellie has said that Daniels is probably (now) the best passer on the team. That may be true, in the sense that, when he chooses to pass, he usually makes good (sometimes VERY good) passes. But, on the break, he is a black hole.

Having said all of that, I agree with those who think we should use Daniels at the point only in very limited circumstances.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:35 AM   #260
dude1394
Guru

Daniels has issues especially as a point guard. He's a second year undrafted player who is playing about 50-60%. Ragging on him is also bush. But it happens after every loss. It just makes you glad this is a message board and the posters aren't doing something that is important.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:43 AM   #261
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ragging on him is also bush.
this from the man who never ragged on Walker. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

"Ragging" on Daniels's passing skill set is certainly not a bush league attack. If posters were upset with something that actually would be affected by Quis's injury like his speed down court or his lack of explosiveness..then that would be a low blow...but as for commenting on his poor dicision making skills with the ball (something that is entirely unaffected by his ankle), that is perfectly fair and valid. I like Quis, but he is no point guard. One day he will be a good 2, but IMO, he will never be a good 1.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-17-2004, 11:44 AM   #262
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: sbjensen
Based on my observations, Daniels' "ballhog" tendencies manifest themselves mostly on the break, where he almost never passes. In the halfcourt set, I think he's a good passer, and makes much better decisions in general.

He seems to have blinders on during the fast break. I really suspect it's a court vision issue.

Nellie has said that Daniels is probably (now) the best passer on the team. That may be true, in the sense that, when he chooses to pass, he usually makes good (sometimes VERY good) passes. But, on the break, he is a black hole.

Having said all of that, I agree with those who think we should use Daniels at the point only in very limited circumstances.
steve is a genius [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2004, 11:52 AM   #263
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
After tonight, Nash will regret being a dickhead. 20+ point blowout, Dirk goes for 30+ and Nash is severely contained by Terry and Harris.
hmmmmm, you still feel the same?
Old 11-17-2004, 11:56 AM   #264
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Phoenix 115
Dallas 109
Not too far off.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:40 PM   #265
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Until Daniels can get his head back into the game it is fair to rag on him. I've seen somewhat diminished lateral speed but he is just as he always has been. All his problems this year have come from playing stupid ball. Last year he was spectacular because he played like a 3-4 year vet and knew how to be effective at many points in the game. This year he is looking like a second round pick. I can understand how some of what he is facing is hesitance from missing training camp and thinking about Nellie's system before moving, but he's also just making dumb moves a lot more than last year. We've seen a lot more out of him.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:41 PM   #266
Turkey
Banned

Turkey can only hope to improve

This is a game that could have been won if it had been better managed and coached by the coaching staff (esp nellie). His favoristim for duck is ruining the team. Nellie , duck , and quis to the doghouse.!!!!! Right now!!!

Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #267
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Harris & Bradley were our best players tonight and were the keys to our awesome comeback in the third period. Yet, Nellie inexplicably takes 'em out in the 4th which is when we actually lose the game. Come on, you don't lose at home with a 5 point lead in the 4th, especially coming from 15 behind in the 3rd.

Daniels seemed the most tired of all and he was left in the game to handle the point while Harris was easily the most energetic playmaker and he was taken out at the most inopportune time. We lost all our momentum there.

Likewise, Bradley was doing great anchoring the middle of the zone, harrassing & intimidating anyone that dare enter the paint. Yet, Nellie replaces him with a 6'9', slow and unathletic Henderson. And those few minutes got us several missed rebounds and easy layups & dunks for the Suns. If Nellie felt Bradley was tired, DJ would be the most logical substitution as someone who's 7', quick and athletic. He could have punished the Suns and at least put 'em on the line than give 'em easy layups or dunks.

Overall, to me this is nothing but a coaching loss, especially in the 4th quarter.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #268
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

goodness! I can't even look at that signature without cringing
Old 11-17-2004, 12:48 PM   #269
dude1394
Guru

I heard on ben and skin that daniels thinks he's about 50%. Nellie was asked about it and said basically he didn't have a lot of choice in the matter. I think I'll belay my criticism of 'quis until he's at least 70%. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2004, 12:50 PM   #270
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

My first thoughts after Damp went down: who is going to put mass on Amare?

My last thoughts: Henderson played his heart out but he just didnt have the strength or height for Amare. Guess it really sucked to lose Damp

I think we should have given Didier a chance, but lets be realistic here. M'Benga would have been eaten alive by Stoudamire.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:58 PM   #271
dude1394
Guru

You would hope that booth could at least do some damage against Amare, but something (I don't know what) went on when he was in there and he didn't touch the floor again. ?????
Old 11-17-2004, 01:24 PM   #272
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky

My last thoughts: Henderson played his heart out but he just didnt have the strength or height for Amare. Guess it really sucked to lose Damp

I think we should have given Didier a chance, but lets be realistic here. M'Benga would have been eaten alive by Stoudamire.
Knock on DJ is that he frequently forgets the offensive play calls. But he's well acknowledged for his speed, athleticism & defense.
Last night, we needed all of those and may be a few hard fouls to put some fear in Amare. He had too easy of a time with Hendu guarding him, especilly in the 4th period.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:26 PM   #273
dude1394
Guru

Injury updates - Dampier is day-to-day with a strained hip flexor and he felt after the game he might be ready by Friday. Terry has a sprained ankle of undiagnosed severity, and the duration of his unavailability is unknown, though he was able to limp on the ankle after the game. Finley is coming along faster than originally expected. (Nellie said, "He's walking around. That's good news.") Daniels ankle still has him limping severely, but he is playing anyhow, though impaired. Back
Old 11-17-2004, 02:37 PM   #274
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

With the exception of the third period and most of the fourth period, we couldn't contain Amare. This includes the period in the first quarter in which Dampier was guarding him. It was a bad matchup for Damp. Nelson said so in pre-game interviews. It may have sucked to lose him, but I doubt he could have done a whole lot better than what we saw out of the Mavericks in the second half. What we should be saying is that it took Nelson half the game to find something that worked. To his credit, he stuck with it. It wasn't enough this time. But I think we've got a great blueprint on how to beat Phoenix next time.

BTW- Phoenix is a damn good team. We shouldn't be making excuses. The injuries may not have been great, but even if we were completely healthy, I think we'd still have trouble with this team.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:44 PM   #275
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree that Benga would have been a poor fit against Stoudamire - Benga would have fouled out in 5 minutes or so. But there is a chance that their athletic abilities might have cancelled each other out. I would have given it a shot at least. It's not like we were stopping them late in the 2nd quarter anyway.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:48 PM   #276
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:

With the exception of the third period and most of the fourth period, we couldn't contain Amare. This includes the period in the first quarter in which Dampier was guarding him. It was a bad matchup for Damp. Nelson said so in pre-game interviews. It may have sucked to lose him, but I doubt he could have done a whole lot better than what we saw out of the Mavericks in the second half. What we should be saying is that it took Nelson half the game to find something that worked. To his credit, he stuck with it. It wasn't enough this time. But I think we've got a great blueprint on how to beat Phoenix next time.
1st Period
(12:00) Dampier Jump Ball Dampier vs Stoudemire
(11:46) [DAL] Howard Layup Shot: Missed
(11:45) [PHX] Richardson Rebound (Off:0 Def:1)
(11:38) [PHX] Richardson Layup Shot: Missed Block: Dampier (1 BLK)
(11:36) [DAL] Team Rebound
(11:24) [DAL 2-0] Dampier Hook Shot: Made (2 PTS)
(11:02) [PHX 2-2] Stoudemire Slam Dunk Shot: Made (2 PTS)
(10:47) [DAL 4-2] D. Harris Slam Dunk Shot: Made (2 PTS)
(10:22) [PHX] Nash Turnover: Bad Pass (1 TO) Steal: Daniels (1 ST)
(10:13) [DAL 6-2] Daniels Jump Shot: Made (2 PTS)
(9:55) [PHX 4-6] Marion Jump Shot: Made (2 PTS) Assist: Richardson (1 AST)
(9:31) [DAL] Nowitzki Jump Shot: Missed
(9:29) [DAL] Dampier Rebound (Off:1 Def:0)
(9:26) [DAL] Dampier Turnover: Bad Pass (1 TO) Steal: Marion (1 ST)
(9:16) [PHX] Johnson Jump Shot: Missed
(9:15) [PHX] Marion Rebound (Off:1 Def:0)
(9:07) [PHX 6-6] Richardson Slam Dunk Shot: Made (2 PTS) Assist: Nash (1 AST)
(8:48) [DAL] D. Harris Jump Shot: Missed
(8:46) [PHX] Stoudemire Rebound (Off:0 Def:1)
(8:41) [PHX] Nash Turnover: Bad Pass (2 TO) Steal: D. Harris (1 ST)
(8:25) [DAL 8-6] Nowitzki Driving Layup: Made (2 PTS)
(8:25) [PHX] Stoudemire Violation: Defensive Goaltending
(8:12) [PHX 8-8] Nash Fade Away: Made (2 PTS)
(7:58) [DAL] Daniels Jump Shot: Missed
(7:57) [PHX] Johnson Rebound (Off:0 Def:1)
(7:46) [PHX] Marion Jump Shot: Missed
(7:45) [PHX] Johnson Rebound (Off:1 Def:1)
(7:43) [DAL] Dampier Foul: Shooting (1 PF)
(7:43) [PHX] Stoudemire Free Throw 1 of 2 missed
(7:43) [PHX] Team Rebound
(7:43) [DAL] Dampier Substitution replaced by Booth

I don't remember Amare dominating Dampier in the first. Apparently, neither does the play by play.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:55 PM   #277
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
BTW- Phoenix is a damn good team. We shouldn't be making excuses. The injuries may not have been great, but even if we were completely healthy, I think we'd still have trouble with this team.
I agree that we would still have trouble, but with Damp down low I dont think we would have lossed the game last night.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:55 PM   #278
dude1394
Guru

Agreed, I don't either. Also it made someone guard someone in the paint on offense as well.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:02 PM   #279
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
I agree that Benga would have been a poor fit against Stoudamire - Benga would have fouled out in 5 minutes or so. But there is a chance that their athletic abilities might have cancelled each other out. I would have given it a shot at least. It's not like we were stopping them late in the 2nd quarter anyway.
Exactly. So what if he fouls out in 5 minutes? What are we saving him for? Use his fouls and put someone out there who can physically match up with Stoudemire.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:30 PM   #280
dude1394
Guru

Still can't figure out why booth wasn't put on him out there in the second half. Has anyone heard of why booth is in the doghouse?