Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-22-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
Flamethrowers42

Flamethrowers42 will become famous soon enough
Default Kobe looses Sprite contract and LaBron cashes in

on his loss.
This was reported today on MSNBC and Court TV.

This is a big statement by Sprite, wonder if Nike is far behind?

Old 08-22-2003, 05:58 PM   #2
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Kobe looses Sprite contract and LaBron cashes in

Glad to hear it, but this topic belongs in the NBA section...
Old 08-22-2003, 06:02 PM   #3
Flamethrowers42

Flamethrowers42 will become famous soon enough

Sorry, did not intend to offend.
I am new and did not realize there was another place, Thanks
Old 08-22-2003, 06:21 PM   #4
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

No problem Flamethrower...

KOBE SODA JERKED

By TIM ARANGO
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 22, 2003 --
Enter LeBron, exit Kobe?

In a deal that could allow Sprite to distance itself even further from Kobe Bryant, the beverage maker yesterday inked teen hoop phenom LeBron James to a six-year endorsement deal.

Bryant, the Los Angeles Lakers star, was charged with rape on June 30, and Sprite is not currently using ads featuring him.

Scott Williamson, a spokesman for Coca-Cola, Sprite's parent company, insisted the James deal is not related to Bryant's situation and that Bryant is under contract with the company until 2005. However, he said he did not know when — or if — the Bryant commercials would return to the airwaves.

James, 18, has yet to play a game in the National Basketball Association. The high-school legend skipped college and became the No. 1 draft pick earlier this year when he was chosen by the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Coca-Cola did not disclose the financial terms of its deal with James.

But Bryant, 24, gets about $1 million a year from his deal with Sprite, and James' deal is likely a bit less than that, according to one sports marketing expert.

"I would guess it's about a half a million to $750,000 a year," said Brandon Steiner, chairman of Steiner Sports Marketing.

"They were desperate to fill a need," added Steiner, referring to Bryant, who will likely face trial sometime next year. Bryant has already been dumped by Nutella and could eventually lose millions in endorsement money should his legal problems continue.

James already has a $90 million endorsement deal with Nike, a big gamble on a player who has yet to don an NBA uniform.

"It's like Shaq all over again when he was young," says Steiner, referring to Shaquille O'Neal, one of Bryant's teammates on the Lakers. "I just don't see [James] picking up a whole portfolio of endorsements before he's even played a game."

In addition to Sprite, James will also endorse Coca-Cola's Powerade, a sports drink that is the fledgling rival to Pepsi's Gatorade.

"LeBron James has brought more excitement and anticipation to the game of basketball than any player in recent history, and we think he's just getting started," said Jeff Dunn, president of Coca-Cola North America, in a statement.

Old 08-22-2003, 07:00 PM   #5
thebac

thebac is on a distinguished road

Reminds me of this Boondocks strip:

Old 08-23-2003, 01:16 AM   #6
Mavsfan4life41

Mavsfan4life41 is on a distinguished road

LOL thats funny...Kobe is in a whole mess of $hit I think he is gonna be found guilty if he did it or not cause he famous and there really isnt that much evidence so in short he is screwed!
Mavs are #1
Charles Turner
Mavsfan4life41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 04:25 AM   #7
c728

c728 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavsfan4life41
LOL thats funny...Kobe is in a whole mess of $hit I think he is gonna be found guilty if he did it or not cause he famous and there really isnt that much evidence so in short he is screwed!
How often do athletes get guilty verdicts for anything? Not often. Rae Carruth and Mike Tyson. Can't think of too many more off the top of my head.

I don't think it's likely Kobe will be found guilty, -especially- if there isn't much evidence. It takes all 12 jurors to vote "guilty" for him to be charged. All 12 jurors must vote "not guilty" for him to be completely acquitted. Any other combination results in a hung jury. In that event (even if 11 vote "guilty" and 1 votes "not guilty"), the DA can attempt to get a retrial. Some think a retrial isn't likely due to the costs and the burden on the community not to mention that if the DA can't beat Kobe's dream team the first time, he probably won't the second time.

Matter of fact, the DA Mark Hurlbert has just lost a sexual assault case yesterday (8/22) by unanimous decision because the jury didn't feel there was enough evidence to convict. The alleged rape in this case took place in 11/2001 so it kind of makes you wonder just when Kobe's trial will take place, doesn't it?
c728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 12:05 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Once Kobe gets not guilty I hope he spits in all of those endorsement companys faces. When Kobe gets in some trouble they don't want anything to do with him instead of giving him support. Kobe will get the last laugh at the end.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 03:41 PM   #9
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

I feel bad for him,what happened to innocent until proven otherwise?
Its just not right,and im not just talking about the money,god knows he has enough.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 05:33 PM   #10
thebac

Well, the thing about endorsements is that it's not about whether he actually is guilty or not.

It's all about perception. The fact that Kobe is indicted on rape charges is already hurting the companies that endorse him. Should he be convicted, that would hurt the companies even more, but even if he's acquitted, rightly or wrongly, the companies are hurting.

In addition, Kobe lost his squeaky clean image by admitting to adultery already (although I'm sure he only revealed that info knowing that people would find out anyway). Adultery might not seem like a big deal to some people, but many parents certainly don't want Kobe to be a spokesperson for Nutella anymore.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:35 PM   #11
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

I'm aware of how endorsements work,thebac,but it doesn't make it right.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 06:38 PM   #12
thebac

NP, not trying to pick a fight here, but what makes it right? I mean, it's the companies' money, and they should be able to choose to endorse whomever they want to, should they not? They don't owe Kobe anything.

Should Kobe be acquitted, he can certainly return the favor. I'm sure he'll remember who stood in his corner and who didn't.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:22 AM   #13
Mavsfan4life41

I totally agree that its there money and they should do whatever they want to do with it.......but how do you think that Kobe will return the favor?
Mavs are #1
Charles Turner
Old 08-24-2003, 12:23 AM   #14
Mavsfan4life41

I feel sorry for Kobe cause some chick is taking advantage of him cause he is rich...I mean it isnt fare unless he really raped her...
Mavs are #1
Charles Turner
Old 08-24-2003, 09:53 AM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavsfan4life41
I feel sorry for Kobe cause some chick is taking advantage of him cause he is rich...I mean it isnt fare unless he really raped her...
Sounds like you have already decided in the first part of your post.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 09:54 AM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: thebac
Well, the thing about endorsements is that it's not about whether he actually is guilty or not.

It's all about perception. The fact that Kobe is indicted on rape charges is already hurting the companies that endorse him. Should he be convicted, that would hurt the companies even more, but even if he's acquitted, rightly or wrongly, the companies are hurting.

In addition, Kobe lost his squeaky clean image by admitting to adultery already (although I'm sure he only revealed that info knowing that people would find out anyway). Adultery might not seem like a big deal to some people, but many parents certainly don't want Kobe to be a spokesperson for Nutella anymore.

---------------------------

NP, not trying to pick a fight here, but what makes it right? I mean, it's the companies' money, and they should be able to choose to endorse whomever they want to, should they not? They don't owe Kobe anything.

Should Kobe be acquitted, he can certainly return the favor. I'm sure he'll remember who stood in his corner and who didn't.
Exactly. This has nothing to do with the verdict. I can see companies pulling away from Kobe even if he is acquitted.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 10:40 AM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

exactly. even if he didn't rape her, i'm sure sprite doesn't want a known adulterer hawking it's products.