Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 03-13-2004, 01:27 AM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default OP's All Purpose Political bashing Thread...good until November..

All you RepubicHairs, Dimocraps, and Labiatarians...post every negative, cliche-ridden, polemic diatribe right damn here...it'll save all of us from looking at 100 meaningless threads that devolve into the same damn thing...So IF:

You think that Kerry is a spineless, war hero peacenik bastard ...OR
You think that the only Bush that you like is during sex.. with no budget...OR
You think Nader is DEAD SEXY....to VooDoo women..

Please post every political article/commentary/debate/rants here....The rest of us will be grateful....

We can start with the following article...DimoCratically...OR a post of your own choosing:

Mar 12, 8:23 PM (ET)
By JOHN SOLOMON
(AP) - The Justice Department investigation that criticized FBI agents for taking souvenirs from the World Trade Center site also found that Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and a high-ranking FBI official kept items from the Sept. 11 attack scenes. The final investigatory report said the Justice Department inspector general confirmed Rumsfeld "has a piece of the airplane that flew into the Pentagon." The Associated Press obtained a copy of the report Friday.

Pentagon spokesman Lawrence Di Rita said Friday night that Rumsfeld has a shard of metal from the jetliner that struck the Pentagon on a table in his office and shows it to people as a reminder of the tragedy Pentagon workers shared on Sept. 11, 2001. "He doesn't consider it his own," Di Rita said, adding the piece is on display for the Pentagon. "We are mindful of the fact that if somebody has an evidentiary requirement to have this shard of metal, we will provide it to them."

The Justice Department investigation also collected testimony that Pasquale D'Amuro, FBI Director Robert Mueller's executive assistant director for terrorism until last summer, asked a supervisory agent to "obtain a half dozen items from the WTC debris so the items could be given to dignitaries." Six items - none needed as evidence - were gathered and sent to D'Amuro, the report said. D'Amuro, now the head of the FBI's New York office, told investigators that "he asked for a piece of the building as a memento" and that he was aware that agents had taken such items from other terrorist crime scenes over the years.

He said he got a piece of the building in June 2003 but denied asking for items for dignitaries. D'Amuro left the following month from FBI headquarters as Mueller's top terrorism official to become an assistant director in charge of the New York office. Joe Valiquette, a spokesman for the New York FBI office, declined to comment Friday. The report also divulged that FBI agents' removal of items like a Tiffany crystal globe from the World Trade Center rubble gutted a criminal case the bureau was building against a Minnesota contractor that had taken a fire truck door from the same rubble.

Prosecutors told the FBI they "might not indict the crime regarding the fire truck door due to government misconduct involving the Tiffany globe," the report said. Surviving family members were surprised by the latest news. "Unbelievable," said William Doyle, whose son was killed in the World Trade Center. "Everybody has things that they probably should not have from the World Trade Center site," added Sally Regenhard, whose firefighter son died in the towers. "I'm sure there's probably all kinds of people that have all kinds of artifacts."

The Justice Department's report has not been officially released, but heavily deleted versions of the report began circulating around Washington last month showing 13 FBI agents had taken rubble, debris and items such as flags and a Tiffany crystal globe paperweight. The bureau announced it was banning agents from taking items from crimes scenes, but no agents were being charged with crimes because the bureau did not have such a policy during the Sept. 11 investigation.

The full report obtained by the AP divulges some senior FBI managers were among those cited for having authorized or asked for mementos from the World Trade Center site. In addition to D'Amuro, the report stated the now-retired head of the New York FBI office, Barry Mawn, asked and received an American flag and a piece of marble from the debris before his retirement.

The report also states the special agent in charge of the FBI's office in Knoxville, Tenn., Joe Clark, contacted FBI officials in New York requesting a piece of debris to display in an exhibit dealing with hate crimes. A 100-pound piece of steel was sent to Clark, the report said. The report stated FBI agents who worked in New York repeatedly expressed their disgust that visiting agents and supervisors would seek souvenirs from the terrorist attacks.

Many interviewed regarded the debris as sacred, the reported stated, "and were disgusted by the fact that anyone would want to take items, including pieces of the building which were contaminated with blood and human body parts." The report discloses that among the items taken, agents had cut World Trade Center security patches from the sleeves of shirt pieces found in the rubble. One New York agent who worked on the evidence recovery team "stated it was a ghoulish prospect that anyone would want things from a crime scene where people have died," the report said.

Two senior FBI lawyers from New York told the investigators they were never consulted by FBI managers about the propriety of taking items, and they would have objected. The FBI New York office's ethics officer, Steven Carolotto, "emphatically stated FBI agents could not profit from working any location" and the "calamity of the event was inconsistent with the taking of items for personal use."

Investigators also stated that they found evidence that the agent who ran the recovery effort at the landfill, Richard Marx of Philadelphia, gave "inconsistent" answers during the investigation after several colleagues claimed he had given them permission to take items. Last summer, Marx was subjected to a lie detector test in which he said he did not recall giving items to Mawn, did not recall giving permission for evidence recovery agents to take items and insisted he was completely true when he gave an affidavit to the investigation. "The results of the examination indicated that Marx was deceptive in his responses to all three questions," the Justice report said. FBI officials declined to comment about Marx's conduct.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or you can riff on a RepubicHair article ...or roll your own out onto the tarmac of life:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kerry, at Capitol, Slams Republican 'Attack Squad'
Mar 11, 3:32 PM (ET)

By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry returned to Congress on Thursday for a series of party unity meetings and slammed a "Republican attack squad" that he said specializes in destroying foes. Kerry, facing a flood of Republican criticism for characterizing his critics in the other party on Wednesday as a "crooked, lying group," refused to apologize and amplified his charges. "There is a Republican attack squad that specializes in trying to destroy people and be negative," Kerry told reporters after having lunch in the Capitol with his Senate Democratic colleagues. "I think the president needs to talk about the real priorities of our country."

Kerry, preparing for his match-up with President Bush in November, also met with House Democrats and the black and Hispanic caucuses as he tried to line up support, hammer out a common message and begin to build a financial network for the campaign. Kerry, who met on Wednesday with former rival Howard Dean, will meet later on Thursday with former rival John Edwards and about 100 of his top contributors. Edwards, a North Carolina senator who dropped out of the race last week, planned the meeting to thank his top financial backers and invited Kerry to introduce himself and make a pitch for their support.

Kerry, a Massachusetts senator who has made only one visit back to the Capitol since the primary campaign started at the beginning of the year, was dogged by questions about his comments in Illinois.
Unaware he was being picked up by microphones, Kerry told a worker in a Chicago factory that his Republican critics were "the most crooked, you know, lying group I've ever seen."

REPUBLICANS ASK FOR APOLOGY

Republicans blasted Kerry and the Bush campaign asked him to apologize. Republican House of Representatives Speaker Dennis Hastert of Illinois said he took "great umbrage" at the remarks."He's getting off on the wrong foot in this campaign and name calling," Hastert said. "We're not lying when we say that Sen. Kerry is an old-fashioned Democrat -- tax and spend." Kerry refused to back down, citing Bush's bitter presidential primary campaign against Arizona Sen. John McCain in 2000 and attacks on Georgia Sen. Max Cleland, a Vietnam veteran who lost three limbs in the war, in 2002 as examples of the "Republican attack squad" at work.

"I haven't said anything that's incorrect about them," Kerry said, explaining why he would not apologize. "They said lots of things that are incorrect." Congressional Republicans welcomed Kerry back to the Capitol with a joint Senate and House leadership news conference to condemn his voting record on defense, energy, taxes and the economy. "We're very glad to see Sen. Kerry back, the place hasn't been the same without him," joked Republican House Leader Tom DeLay of Texas, adding Kerry and Democrats had no agenda for the future and "haven't produced anything but hate."

"Listen to John Kerry, either off-microphone or on-microphone, it's all about how bad George Bush is and very little about what he would do and what is the agenda," DeLay said. With Kerry's comments about his Republican critics "America got a little glimpse of the real John Kerry," he said. New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said the Democratic meeting with Kerry was "upbeat and enthusiastic." She said Kerry asked for their help "and we're going to give him that help."

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi of California said the meeting with House Democrats was "full of unity and commitment to each other to work together to win this election." House members said Kerry did not discuss specific congressional agendas to help his campaign but explored the issues that will frame the national debate into November. "He talked about health care, transportation, and fiscal soundness. He did not lay out a full legislative agenda. We'll be working on that together," Pelosi said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Enjoy things until November...and keep it in one thread...it's the dallas-mavs.com condom !!!!

Old 03-13-2004, 01:52 AM   #2
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:OP's All Purpose Political bashing Thread...good until November..

As a moderator, I'd like to endorse the genius of such a thread. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'd also like to discourage the Kindergarten-style mangling of Democrat/Republican/whatever during any constructive, interesting debate that occurs here. To me, it completely undermines one's credibility to taint an otherwise valid argument with an insult along the lines of "Rudy Huckleberry." (For those of you who are Cosby Show fans.)

For example, OP would be much more receptive to an argument from me singing the praises of Antoine Walker, if I addressed him as OP, than if I started it out by saying "OuthousePoo sucks, #8 is my DAWWG!!" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Dig?
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 10:11 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: OP's All Purpose Political Trash Talk Thread...open 24/7 and good until November..

Outhousepoo.....I like that.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:14 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: OP's All Purpose Political Trash Talk Thread...open 24/7 and good until November..

I could care less, since I'm NOT a moderator [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. On a fundamental level I'm against it. Although they do degrade many times to the same arguments they do not start out that way. The new topics enable focus on different prospects/ideas without wading through 15 pages of junk to find it. But since you asked...

Kerry is a flip-flooping career politician who is supported by all the terrorists of the world. Rummy deserves a souvenir from the pentagon bombing. He probably found it sticking to his foot as he was going in helping people that day. The justice department should shut the heck up about people getting souvenoirs. It's always been bad policy to me.

These people are usually on the front lines (unlike myself) and I don't begrudge them something to have and hold in later years. They deserve something to crow about.

Of course they can always take a souvenoir (or a medal) and then throw someone else's away while keeping theirs.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
All you RepubicHairs, Dimocraps, and Labiatarians...post every negative, cliche-ridden, polemic diatribe right damn here...it'll save all of us from looking at 100 meaningless threads that devolve into the same damn thing...
This thread included?:

"Time for a watching party ?" (The Green Party [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])
Old 03-13-2004, 12:41 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Chiwas.. Funny..

An honest question about whether you have read the green-party (nader last years) platform? From some of your other comments I can't tell?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-13-2004, 01:01 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

I'm just doing it. Yes, some match my own thoughts. In fact also do some or several from the Republican and Democratic Parties and some do not. I couldn't be member or fully supporter of any, if I had to choose, I guess.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:03 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:OP's All Purpose Political Trash Talk Thread...open 24/7 and good until November..

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
I could care less, since I'm NOT a moderator [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. On a fundamental level I'm against it. Although they do degrade many times to the same arguments they do not start out that way. The new topics enable focus on different prospects/ideas without wading through 15 pages of junk to find it. But since you asked...

good post
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 01:14 PM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Just for reference.

The Independent Citizen for President

For more than four decades, Ralph Nader has saved lives, opened minds, implemented solutions, and inspired citizens everywhere to participate in building a better, more democratic world. He has founded or organized more than 100 civic organizations, authored countless books and publications, and perhaps more than any other person has defined our modern understanding of the American ideals of democracy, civic duty, and participation for the public good, rather than dominance by the corporate powers. Known for his ethics, integrity and independence, Ralph Nader is recognized world-wide for putting democracy to work.

What is less well known is that in his 2000 bid for President of the United States, Ralph Nader earned the votes of citizens across the political spectrum. Under the banner, 'Not for Sale', millions responded to Nader's message to the American people calling for greater accountability for corporations and an end to corporate-controlled government. According to the exit polls conducted by Democratic pollster Stanley Greenberg, fully 25% of his votes came from Republicans, 38% from Democrats, and the remainder from people who would not have voted. No other American leader can be credited with such broad appeal across the divides of our polarized nation. No other American leader can claim such unfettered independence from the ethically bankrupt quagmire of insider politics where the lives of ordinary Americans are regularly sacrificed to commercial interests.

To his credit, Ralph Nader does more than just talk. As the New York Times said, "What sets Nader apart is that he has moved beyond social criticism to effective political action." Part of his mammoth legacy is the effective national network of citizen reform groups that labor to preserve the safety and quality of life of EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN. His groups have made an imprint on many areas including civic skills, tax reform, pensions, aviation, regulation of atomic power, renewable energy, clean air and water, clean elections, food, medicine and auto safety, safety in the workplace, access to healthcare, civil rights, civil justice, Congressional ethics, campaign finance, discriminatory lending, the tobacco industry, corporate crime and reform, investor protection, corporate globalization, agribusiness and small farms, intellectual property, medicine prices abroad, freedom of information, and government procurement. The list goes on and on.

Once again, Ralph Nader is standing up for all Americans, proposing brighter solutions and futures while decrying the big government erosion of civil liberties, the vast diversion of tax dollars for wasteful military spending, the Iraq quagmire, and the daily abuses and frauds suffered by ordinary Americans at the hands of corrupt corporations and indifferent bureaucracies. The campaign is seeking participators, to invoke Jefferson's word, who support his independent campaign for the office of President of the United States.

"There can be no daily democracy without daily citizenship toward 'a new birth of freedom.'" — Ralph Nader

Edit: Link
Old 03-13-2004, 02:50 PM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

Default RE:OP's All Purpose Political Trash Talk Thread...open 24/7 and good until November..

Just for reference.

John Kerry

Vision
John has a bold, new vision for America. An America safe from foreign threats and greedy special interests. John has the experience and plans to lead America to better jobs, quality health care, energy that is clean, renewable, and independent, and greater opportunities for our children.

Courage
John Kerry has always had the courage to stand by what he believes in. John earned three Purple Hearts fighting for America in Vietnam but returned home to fight against the Administration’s ill-conceived foreign policies. For the last 20 years, John has continued to fight against special interests to protect our environment, keep guns off the streets, make prescription drugs available and affordable for seniors, and stop corporations from robbing hardworking Americans by taking jobs overseas.

Leadership
All his life, John has led the fight to make America a safer and stronger nation. As a soldier, prosecutor, and Senator, John has never backed down from a tough fight. John’s life has been defined by having the courage to fight to protect the Alaskan wild from oil drilling, put one of New England’s toughest organized crime bosses behind bars, help expose Oliver North, BCCI and Iran/Contra, find the truth about Vietnam’s MIA’s, raise the minimum wage for hardworking Americans, and rebuild America’s crumbling schools.

Link

I haven't found a well defined statement established as Bush's cornerstone of his campaign. I will continue seaching for it.

Old 03-13-2004, 03:25 PM   #11
Chiwas
Guru

I'll try to make one of Bush from his campaign's page. Geez, he talks -and writes- too much and is very complicated, unable to make a summary of his own thoughts. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img] (Nah, he maybe does not have time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])

George Bush

Economy
Jobs are created when the economy grows; the economy grows when Americans have more money to spend and invest; and the best and fairest way to make sure Americans have that money is not to tax it away in the first place.

Compassion
It is compassionate to actively help our fellow citizens in need. It is conservative to insist on responsibility and results. And with this hopeful approach, we will make a real difference in people's lives."

Health Care
We must reform health care in America. We must build a modern, innovative health care system that give patients more options and fewer orders and strengthens the doctor-patient relationship.

Education
...because of your efforts and your love and your energy, no child in your school is going to be left behind.

Homeland Security
We will bring security to our people and justice for our enemies.

National Security
Our great challenge is to protect the American people. Our great opportunity is to advance the cause of justice and human dignity and freedom all across the world.

Environment
When government, landowners and conservationists work together, we can make dramatic progress in preserving the beauty and the quality of our environment.

My Sources, The Official campaign page -link- and several web sites to confirm the quotes.

In fact the persons that built his page took excerpts from different speeches as President.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:10 PM   #12
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

BUSH Rhetoric...."Our workers are the most productive, the hardest working, the best craftsmen in the world. And I'm here to thank all those who work hard to make a living here in America.” – Bush, 9/2/02 "

Reality....Bush’s 2003 Budget proposed a 9% ($476 million) cut to job training programs and a 2% ($8 million) cut to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Similarly, his 2004 budget proposes a $60 million cut to adult job training programs and a total elimination of the Youth Opportunities Grants, which provide job training to younger workers.

Fiscal Responsibility
Bush Rhetoric...."One of the ways we've got to make sure that we keep our economy strong is to be wise about how we spend our money. If you overspend, it creates a fundamental weakness in the foundation of economic growth. And so I'm working with Congress to make sure they hear the message -- the message of fiscal responsibility.” Bush, 9/16/02

Reality.."Less than 6 months after this pronouncement, Bush proposed a budget that would put the government more than $300 billion into deficit. As National Journal noted on 2/12/02, Bush’s own 2004 budget tables show that without Bush’s tax and budgetary proposals, the deficit deficit would decline after 2006, but with Bush’s proposals the deficit would grow indefinitely."

Vocational/Technical Ed
Bush Rhetoric..." “I want to thank the good folks here at Rochester Community and Technical College for your hospitality…The most important issue -- the most important issue for any governor in any state is to make sure every single child in your state receives a quality education.” – Bush, [10/18/02]

Reality.."Bush’s 2004 budget proposes to cut vocational and technical education grants by 24% ($307 million). His budget also proposes to freeze funding for pell grants for low income students. "

And you Republicans have the guts to say Kerry "flip flops" and issues??? I can dig up many more if you want me to.....just ask...your precious BUSH is no different that any other politician....

Old 03-13-2004, 11:40 PM   #13
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

You know reeds.... you have the most appropriate avatar I have seen.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:42 AM   #14
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

"You know reeds.... you have the most appropriate avatar I have seen"...NO doubt in my mind you are correct.. I am sure you are referring to all the apes I argue with in this room..good point
Old 03-14-2004, 11:52 AM   #15
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: reeds
BUSH Rhetoric...."Our workers are the most productive, the hardest working, the best craftsmen in the world. And I'm here to thank all those who work hard to make a living here in America.” – Bush, 9/2/02 "

Reality....Bush’s 2003 Budget proposed a 9% ($476 million) cut to job training programs and a 2% ($8 million) cut to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Similarly, his 2004 budget proposes a $60 million cut to adult job training programs and a total elimination of the Youth Opportunities Grants, which provide job training to younger workers.

Fiscal Responsibility
Bush Rhetoric...."One of the ways we've got to make sure that we keep our economy strong is to be wise about how we spend our money. If you overspend, it creates a fundamental weakness in the foundation of economic growth. And so I'm working with Congress to make sure they hear the message -- the message of fiscal responsibility.” Bush, 9/16/02

Reality.."Less than 6 months after this pronouncement, Bush proposed a budget that would put the government more than $300 billion into deficit. As National Journal noted on 2/12/02, Bush’s own 2004 budget tables show that without Bush’s tax and budgetary proposals, the deficit deficit would decline after 2006, but with Bush’s proposals the deficit would grow indefinitely."

Vocational/Technical Ed
Bush Rhetoric..." “I want to thank the good folks here at Rochester Community and Technical College for your hospitality…The most important issue -- the most important issue for any governor in any state is to make sure every single child in your state receives a quality education.” – Bush, [10/18/02]

Reality.."Bush’s 2004 budget proposes to cut vocational and technical education grants by 24% ($307 million). His budget also proposes to freeze funding for pell grants for low income students. "

And you Republicans have the guts to say Kerry "flip flops" and issues??? I can dig up many more if you want me to.....just ask...your precious BUSH is no different that any other politician....

You have to do better than this. This is just normal negotiations on budget items. I notice you don't mention the historic increase in federal spending for the no chile left behind. And of course you talk about him cutting vocational and technical education grants by 24%, but you don't mention how much they actually went up during bush's term. But that's ok, you are taken just as seriously as your "found" quotes. You didn't get these from the NYTimes did you??

Old 03-14-2004, 03:50 PM   #16
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: reeds
"You know reeds.... you have the most appropriate avatar I have seen"...NO doubt in my mind you are correct.. I am sure you are referring to all the apes I argue with in this room..good point
Actually I was referring to the unhappy man avatar. Because you come across as one unhappy person. I can't remember ever seeing one single post from you that had any sort of positive spin. You are all about the negativity. Thus, the unhappy man avatar fits you perfectly.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:05 PM   #17
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I notice you don't mention the historic increase in federal spending for the no chile left behind.
I'm somewhat partial to the smokey flavor of the chipotle, myself. Of course due to it's popularity, funding is never in danger for the more traditional jalepeno. Of the poblano and serrano we should make special note, for their flavor. The Cascabel and Habenero's though, you have to be very careful with cause they can sometimes taste bad enough to want to leave behind. But when used correctly they can turn almost any dish into a mouth party.

and Kerry sucks. Only a true watered down, mealy mouth, massachusetts wealth liberal like him would want to leave any chile behind.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:41 PM   #18
Chiwas
Guru

I myself couldn't have made a better apologia of the chile.

Btw, "Political Trash" and Tengan su chile, inches políticos, are a very related issues.

Old 03-15-2004, 02:14 PM   #19
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

Old 03-15-2004, 02:25 PM   #20
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I notice you don't mention the historic increase in federal spending for the no chile left behind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm somewhat partial to the smokey flavor of the chipotle, myself. Of course due to it's popularity, funding is never in danger for the more traditional jalepeno. Of the poblano and serrano we should make special note, for their flavor. The Cascabel and Habenero's though, you have to be very careful with cause they can sometimes taste bad enough to want to leave behind. But when used correctly they can turn almost any dish into a mouth party.

and Kerry sucks. Only a true watered down, mealy mouth, massachusetts wealth liberal like him would want to leave any chile behind.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this made me think of Gida Ratner's SNL character.

"oh then, never mind."
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 11:40 AM   #21
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Caliente

Shazam!

Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #22
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

Old 03-18-2004, 02:22 PM   #23
Caliente
Diamond Member

Old 03-19-2004, 11:27 AM   #24
Caliente
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
As a moderator, I'd like to endorse the genius of such a thread. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'd also like to discourage the Kindergarten-style mangling of Democrat/Republican/whatever during any constructive, interesting debate that occurs here. To me, it completely undermines one's credibility to taint an otherwise valid argument with an insult along the lines of "Rudy Huckleberry." (For those of you who are Cosby Show fans.)

For example, OP would be much more receptive to an argument from me singing the praises of Antoine Walker, if I addressed him as OP, than if I started it out by saying "OuthousePoo sucks, #8 is my DAWWG!!" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Dig?
I agree. One thread. Many visions.

Old 03-19-2004, 12:57 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Cali is a genius! (I dont have trash talk....sorry)

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:12 PM   #26
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

One thread. Many visions.

So true.

Let the six get the message.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:31 PM   #27
Caliente
Diamond Member

JohnF'nKerry link
Old 03-22-2004, 03:45 PM   #28
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot for posting this thread. I may be a liberal (in the closet) but Im a conservative about The Lounge and Im happy that its back to how I always remembered it.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:52 AM   #29
OutletPass
Diamond Member

Angry Palestinians Bury Hamas Leader;

, Gaza Strip (AP) - Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians chanting "Revenge! Revenge!" flooded Gaza's streets Monday to bury Hamas founder Sheik Ahmed Yassin, who was assassinated by an Israeli missile. As ordinary Palestinians seethed with anger, militants pledged unprecedented retaliation - including threats against the United States.

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan and many world leaders condemned Monday's killing of Yassin, the most prominent Palestinian targeted by Israel in 3 1/2 years of fighting. The Bush administration said it was "deeply troubled" by the attack and that it had no advance warning. "We will get revenge for every drop of blood that spilled," said Salman Bdeiri, a Hamas supporter crying near the mosque where Yassin prayed shortly before being killed by an Israeli airstrike.

Israel sealed off the West Bank and Gaza, banning Palestinians from Israel, and placed its security forces on high alert. Later Monday, Palestinian militants fired several homemade rockets and mortar shells at Israeli targets in and near Gaza. To the north, Hezbollah guerrillas fired an anti-tank missile at Israeli troops along Israel's border with Lebanon.
Israel quickly responded to both attacks. It struck at Hezbollah with planes and artillery fire. No casualties were reported. Israel sent tanks into northern Gaza near the town of Beit Hanoun. Israeli security officials said the purpose of the operation was to prevent further rocket fire.

The Yassin assassination was part of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's effort to crush Hamas ahead of a possible Israeli withdrawal from Gaza. However, the killing was seen as a major gamble that could galvanize the Palestinians behind Hamas. Rival Palestinian militant groups immediately pledged solidarity with Hamas. The missile strike dealt what could be the final blow to the stalled U.S.-led "road map" peace plan. It also angered Egypt and Jordan, moderate Arab states whose tacit support Sharon needs for any unilateral withdrawal from Gaza.

Since Yassin founded Hamas in 1987, the group has killed hundreds of Israelis in scores of attacks. Hamas wants to destroy the Jewish state and replace it with an Islamic one. For the first time Monday, Hamas threatened the United States and suggested it might seek outside help in carrying out revenge attacks. "The Zionists didn't carry out their operation without getting the consent of the terrorist American administration and it (the United States) must take responsibility for this crime," Hamas said in a statement. "All the Muslims of the world will be honored to join in on the retaliation for this crime."

In the past, Hamas has refrained from targeting U.S. citizens or interests, instead focusing on fund-raising and recruitment within the United States, according to senior U.S. law enforcement officials.
Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge was heeding the Hamas terror warning. "If they are threatening the United States, we have to take it quite seriously," he told reporters in Washington.

While not condemning the assassination, the State Department said it increases tensions and would make it harder to pursue peace in the Middle East. "We are troubled," spokesman Richard Boucher said.
President Bush's national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, told NBC that "it is very important that everyone step back and try now to be calm in the region." But Israel said it will press ahead with more targeted attacks and raids.

"The war against terror has not ended and will continue day after day, everywhere," Sharon said. He called Yassin the "mastermind of Palestinian terror" and a "mass murderer who is among Israel's greatest enemies." More than 200,000 Palestinians, some carrying billowing green Hamas flags, poured into the streets of Gaza City for Yassin's funeral procession, the largest gathering here in recent memory. Tens of thousands of furious Palestinians rallied across the West Bank.

Mourners in Gaza jostled to touch Yassin's flag-draped coffin, and women ululated and threw flowers and candy. Two Israeli helicopters flew above, and the sky was blackened from the smoke of burning tires. At the cemetery, Yassin's body was paraded through an honor guard of 400 militants armed with anti-tank missiles and machine guns. "Our leader has left us, but we say to him, 'Your lessons will stay within our hearts and minds and our generations,'" Abdel Aziz Rantisi, a Hamas leader, said in a eulogy.

In addition to Yassin, who was in his 60s, 12 Palestinians were killed Monday, seven in the airstrike, four in clashes with Israeli troops and one while handling explosives. The attack came before daybreak, when Israeli helicopters swooped toward a Gaza street and fired three missiles as Yassin, his bodyguards and dozens of others left the mosque. Blood and flesh splattered on the walls. Nearby windows shattered. Only a charred metal seat and two twisted wheels were left of Yassin's wheelchair, and a blood-soaked brown shoe lay in the street. Lying in tatters nearby was the brown blanket in which Yassin - a quadriplegic - was nearly always wrapped.

"Two or three people were lying next to him on the ground. One was legless," said taxi driver Yousef Haddad. Among those killed were several of Yassin's bodyguards and his son-in-law. Seventeen people were wounded, including two of Yassin's sons. After the attack, residents rubbed their hands in pieces of gravel mixed with Yassin's blood, a traditional sign of anger and a preparation for revenge. The Palestinian Authority declared three days of mourning and closed schools. Flags at Yasser Arafat's headquarters in the West Bank town of Ramallah headquarters were lowered to half-staff.

Palestinian ministers stood as Arafat recited a Muslim prayer for Yassin and then added: "May you join the martyrs and the prophets. To heaven, you martyr." The missile strike shook Arafat in more ways than one. The massive outpouring of support for Hamas showed how formidable a rival the Islamic group has become to Arafat's weakened Palestinian Authority. Arafat also fears he may be next on Israel's hit list, said a confidant, Communications Minister Azzam Ahmed.

However, an Israeli security official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Israel's campaign focuses on Hamas, at least for now. Boucher, the State Department spokesman, urged Israel to keep its promise to not harm Arafat. "We think that's an important pledge and we would expect them to stand by that." Israeli Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said Yassin's killing will eventually weaken Hamas. "If we have to balance how many more terrorists Yassin would have sent, how many terror attacks he would have approved, if we weigh this on the scales, we acted rightly," Mofaz was quoted as telling a parliamentary committee.

But Sharon's critics in Israel warned that the Yassin killing could be viewed as an attack on Islam. "This had nothing to do with security, nothing to do with protecting Israeli citizens. It's all about politics and public opinion," said lawmaker Yossi Sarid of the dovish Yahad Party. Yassin's killing virtually buried hopes of reviving the road map, which envisioned an end to violence and the creation of a Palestinian state by next year. "Such actions are not only contrary to international law, but they do not do anything to help the search for a peaceful solution," Annan said of the assassination.

European and Arab leaders condemned the killing. Egypt canceled a trip by legislators and other dignitaries to Israel to mark the 25th anniversary of the peace treaty between the two countries. British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said the assassination "is unacceptable, it is unjustified and it is very unlikely to achieve its objectives."

Old 03-23-2004, 02:27 PM   #30
Caliente
Diamond Member

Old 03-24-2004, 11:31 AM   #31
Caliente
Diamond Member

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=twin+towers+in+new+york/v=2/TID=DFIM_1/l=IVS/*-http://www.teslasociety.com/twintowers2.jpg[/img]
Old 03-24-2004, 11:55 AM   #32
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Caliente
[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=george+w+bush/v=2/TID=DFIM_1/l=IVS/*-http://members.toast.net/mlc/shytole.jpg[/img]
The person who made this banner is very misguided, although the fact that it is publically displayed shows just how poorly the Bush WH has handled the PR angle and fumbled the ball as it relates to world opinion.

Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:01 PM   #33
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

When an American Jew stands at the gates of a former concentration camp and sees the inscription "Never again", he assumes it's a commitment never again to tolerate genocide. Alain Finkielkraut, a French thinker, says that those two words to a European mean this: never again the führers and duces who enabled such genocide. "Never again power politics. Never again nationalism. Never again Auschwitz" - a slightly different set of priorities. And over the years a revulsion against any kind of "power politics" has come to trump whatever revulsion post-Auschwitz Europe might feel about mass murder.

That's why the EU let hundreds of thousands of Bosnians and Croats die on its borders until the Americans were permitted to step in. That's why the fact that thousands of Iraqis are no longer being murdered by their government is trivial when weighed against the use of Anglo-American military force required to effect their freedom. "Never again" has evolved to mean precisely the kind of passivity that enabled the Holocaust first time round.

.. Mark Steyn, March 23, 2004
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 05:56 PM   #34
Caliente
Diamond Member

Armed forces tribute
Old 03-24-2004, 08:01 PM   #35
dude1394
Guru

Thanks caliente. I have a son-in-law who is about to return from Iraq. I'm always incredibly humbled and proud of this young american.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:50 AM   #36
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

The Republican National Committee With a Sense of Humor
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:14 AM   #37
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Nice, Dooby.

Thanks for the much-needed levity.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 12:22 PM   #38
Caliente
Diamond Member

Iraq-o-meter
Old 03-26-2004, 11:42 AM   #39
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 12:05 PM   #40
Caliente
Diamond Member

Citizens United For Alternatives To The Death Penalty