Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #1361
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha, was on another site and someone was complaining about it being such a rip-off that the characters have been dead for the past 7 years.

um, dude, i think you need to watch it again.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #1362
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Insanely good recap of the finale and the series (worth reading all 7 pages): http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2031...387946,00.html

thought this was potentially very insightful: "Fake Locke reached for his knife and jammed it into Jack's side — a spear wound for the would-be Island Christ. Fake Locke straddled Jack. Fake Locke put the knife to Jack's throat and drew blood. (Now we know the origin of Sideways Jack's neck nick — and, I think, Sideways Jack's alleged appendix scar, which was actually a scar from Fake Locke's skewering. We now see that all season long, Jack's own body had been screaming at him: Soul Sleeper, Awaken!"

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #1363
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
ha ha, was on another site and someone was complaining about it being such a rip-off that the characters have been dead for the past 7 years.

people are dumb

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #1364
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I have been seeing similar reaction out there. There's also some folks who are upset that they were dead at all...as if they weren't all going to die eventually.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #1365
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they were. She said something like, "You didn't mention you had a sister the whole time we were married" or something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Yeah and David asking his dad if he was going to "get weird" when talking about his mom....also earlier in the season I seem to remember David was only staying with Jack because his mom was out of town.
I guess I missed that. They seemed to get along at work well (and even be sorta flirty) for a divorced couple with a kid.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #1366
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Christian Shepherd even directly says that the island stuff was real. and that the others all died at some time... some before, some after.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #1367
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I guess I missed that. They seemed to get along at work well (and even be sorta flirty) for a divorced couple with a kid.
you obviously didn't watch those episodes close enough!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #1368
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

so... desmond. Do you think desmond was really time traveling in the earlier episodes? Or tapping into his limbo self at an early time?

I think the writers meant it as time travel, but it does work as the other, too. With Eloise guiding him...
Old 05-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #1369
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
so... desmond. Do you think desmond was really time traveling in the earlier episodes? Or tapping into his limbo self at an early time?

I think the writers meant it as time travel, but it does work as the other, too. With Eloise guiding him...
true...so funny.

no matter what they say...this show was getting worked out a season at a time with only the BIGGEST elements known in advance.

Last edited by sike; 05-24-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #1370
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Christian Shepherd even directly says that the island stuff was real. and that the others all died at some time... some before, some after.
Yeah, he's very clear about it. I find it funny that there are people out there (not on this board) who are saying to the contrary.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #1371
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think his consciousness was really time traveling as they said it was.

Why this particular run in with electromagnetism (06E11) should cause him to become aware of sideways-purgatory-land and the other run ins caused the time travel...I cannot say, and it's not something that needs to be discussed really. They were all awesome for what they were.

"Flashes before your eyes" is one of my very favorite LOST episodes. The wife and I watched it yesterday as part of our little marathon.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-24-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #1372
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Can i tell you what was a bigger waste of time than ATS? Introducing the temple characters and new mysteries, killing them off, and not resolving anything with them.

and did we really need the whole "sayid is bad!" stuff? I guess just to redeem him by blowing himself up? but it really didn't amount to anything...

i would rather they have dropped the temple people completely, dropped the sayid stuff, wrapped up some other open-ended things instead. somehow wrap up dharma and the widmore history.

eh, just a thought. That temple stuff was even worse than introducing the tailies and killing them off in the same season.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-24-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #1373
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I think they had been mentioning the temple since season 3 and they wanted to pay it off. (Err...you know, since they LOVE to pay stuff off )

I think it all helped to illustrate the terror of the smoke monster, but other than that it was a little disappointing and fleeting, wasn't it?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #1374
LonghornDub

Yeah for me the only real point of the temple was to showcase the sheer power and determination of smokey.

I'd like to voice my first (and really one of my only) gripes with the finale: I think Jack and Locke needed a few more lines between themselves either during or right after their fight (but before Locke died obviously). I was fine with the way he died, but I just felt like that conflict needed to be bookended a bit better by them actually saying a few more things to each other as it ended. It doesn't even matter too much what they might have said.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 05-24-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #1375
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ok, so how many of you think that the island really WAS supposed to be purgatory? But the fans figured it out so quickly, that they had to drop the idea and go elsewhere, making the island real?

Like what i always heard happened with twin peaks.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #1376
sike
The Preacha

I wish they would have made a bigger deal out of Smokey's death...it was just a quick part of the larger story this episode was telling, but still....THIS IS SMOKEY DANG IT!

Even, as LD, suggests a bit more dialogue...or a few parting words as he dies...something to pay homage to this amazing entity.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #1377
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

maybe if sawyer had been the one to shoot him, and then say "smoke 'em if you got 'em" with a huge burning cigar in his mouth.

or... not.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #1378
sike
The Preacha

any clue as to why Jack wasnt melted by electromagnetism once he put the plug back in? other than it made for a more touching ending??

Old 05-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #1379
LonghornDub

Quote:
ok, so how many of you think that the island really WAS supposed to be purgatory? But the fans figured it out so quickly, that they had to drop the idea and go elsewhere, making the island real?

Like what i always heard happened with twin peaks.
I thought about that a lot since last night. I think it's quite possible. The only reason I hold reservations about that is I think the creators would be hesitant to plan something from the beginning that basically results in, "Nothing that happened in this entire show was real." The nice thing about doing it this way is that 90% of what happened over 6 seasons was still real.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #1380
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
any clue as to why Jack wasnt melted by electromagnetism once he put the plug back in? other than it made for a more touching ending??
MiB wasn't "melted by electromagnetism" either. Seemed a little weird, but whatever, I don't care.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #1381
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I thought about that a lot since last night. I think it's quite possible. The only reason I hold reservations about that is I think the creators would be hesitant to plan something from the beginning that basically results in, "Nothing that happened in this entire show was real." The nice thing about doing it this way is that 90% of what happened over 6 seasons was still real.
I agree, that would be a cop out ending. But it does allow you to introduce mystery after mystery and never explain anything which... oh, which they did anyway.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #1382
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
MiB wasn't "melted by electromagnetism" either. Seemed a little weird, but whatever, I don't care.
I just figured that MIB was "special" like maybe Desmond...I don't really care as far as judging the quality of the episode, but was just wondering if yall had or had heard any explanations.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #1383
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wish they would have made a bigger deal out of Smokey's death...it was just a quick part of the larger story this episode was telling, but still....THIS IS SMOKEY DANG IT!

Even, as LD, suggests a bit more dialogue...or a few parting words as he dies...something to pay homage to this amazing entity.
the whole Jack vs Smokey duel brought back some frightful memories of just bad bad stuff...

"go to the Mustafar system. Wipe out Viceroy Gunray and the other Separatist leaders. Once more, the Sith will rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace."
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #1384
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Ok guys Ive been out of town and Im sorry youve been having to recap all this without me. I was at a concert in Hollywood last night- but watched the finale this morning and re-watched it a few mins ago.

Like all of you, I'm really trying to wrap my head around lots of stuff. Clearly, most of the clues (at least the big ones) are within Jack and Christian's dialog at the end. That pretty much sums it up what took place.

I do have one random question though- why do you think they were showing the plane wreckage on the beach after? Any idea?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #1385
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Last edited by mavspwnage; 05-24-2010 at 11:22 PM.
mavspwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #1386
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched it again...even better the second time around.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #1387
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

First scene of Lost side-by-side with the final scene:

Old 05-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #1388
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Also, was I the only one expecting to see some Matrix shit go down between Jack and MIB? lol

Old 05-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #1389
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Insanely good recap of the finale and the series (worth reading all 7 pages): http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2031...387946,00.html

This was a great article- thanks for posting it. It honestly neatly explained the theory roling around in y head better than I could. I'm anxious to see part 2 of this story when it gets posted.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #1390
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Dont get why Jack had a son in the Afterlife/timeless stuff....
I think Jack's son was a representation of Jack trying to reconcile things with his own father.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #1391
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I think Jack's son was a representation of Jack trying to reconcile things with his own father.
I'm impressed w/your insight Murph.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #1392
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

very cool, mavspwnage.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #1393
XERXES
Diamond Member

This came from Doc Jensen's (of Entertainment Weekly) twitter update:

"The plane wreckage over Lost credits: not part of the story, say reliable sources. Meant to evoke mood. No Ajira crash, no time loops."

That answers one big question for me. I honestly feel like, with the explanation from the EW article Sike posted, that I'm pretty comfortable with the ending. I wonder what it would be like to re-watch season 6 knowing that the alt-verse is a "a psycho-spiritual virtual reality, a vast active living intelligence system (to borrow a phrase from Philip K. Dick's VALIS) created by the collective yearning of the castaways, an ethereal transfer station located at an unspecified junction between life and afterlife"??
Old 05-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #1394
LonghornDub

Was anybody else disappointed with the Shannon/Sayid thing? I mean, I railed on the thing back when it first happened as being just a way to create an audience connection with Shannon before killing her off 3 episodes later, but what bothered me about it last night was just that Shannon was never really the love of his life. It was clearly Nadia. Shannon was just a convenient island hook-up.

And I understand that he gave up Nadia earlier on in the flash-sideways, but when you're talking about moving on into eternal afterlife, it seems that it should be with the person he really loved the most.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 05-25-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #1395
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - I see that, but how else do you write Shannon and Boone back into the finale?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #1396
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I agree. I don't really see that making sense on any level. Dan is right...it's just the way they needed it to be for the sake of having Shannon come back. Oh well.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #1397
XERXES
Diamond Member

They might be on the short list of all-time worst TV couples. And yeah, it was just forcing a square peg into a round hole to try to bring everyone back...
Old 05-25-2010, 02:48 PM   #1398
XERXES
Diamond Member

In fact, other than when Friends tried to force-feed the Joey-Rachel relationship, I can't think of a worse one.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #1399
XERXES
Diamond Member

Sorry for three posts in a row (I'm starting to feel like Sike) but this was a badass explanation from a writer...

http://geeksofdoom.com/2010/05/24/di...=Google+Reader
Old 05-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #1400
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Good God, it's amazing, I have seen a LOT of people genuinely think this! I'm like, how f'ing stupid are you? You don't even have to infer anything, the dialogue flat out tells you this is not the case. Yet still I see people say:

"We were right all along! The whole thing was purgatory and they died on the plane! Stupid liars!"

CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote