Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-14-2006, 12:58 AM   #481
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

In order to be a 6th man... you actually have to be healthy enough to stay on the damn court.

The Mavs don't have a 6th man. They 4 guys who "act like 6th men" because 3 of them are always hurt and the other one is designated to the bench because of matchups.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:01 AM   #482
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

I had to excuse myself to the restroom just now

Mary cussing made my arrow point north

jk
Old 04-14-2006, 01:01 AM   #483
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Nash is the same player. With the Suns he just has the rite combo of players (the perfect combo) to make him better as he makes them better at the same time. He had guys on the Mavs but not those type of guys. But he's still the same player. ( a great one)

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 04-14-2006 at 01:07 AM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:05 AM   #484
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I don't know if he's the same player, but he was pretty darned good for the Mavericks for many, many years.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:05 AM   #485
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
I don't think it's bullshit at all. Nash's basic fundamentals remained the same, but he got in tremendous shape, cut out the partying, settled down with his wife and kid, and he's been a different player. It's obvious. The Nash we had in Dallas DID suffer from fatigue. He did carry more weight during the season. And he didn't have a grudge to motivate him. I realize that the last part is Cuban's fault, but it's still something you have to consider when you start talking "what if"...
Two of the three things you offered (settling down with his wife and kid, and cutting out the partying--which seem connected) had nothing to do with his home ZIP code. Meaning, it stands to reason they would have happened regardless what team he played for.

Does that mean that in favorably comparing the PHX Nash to the DAL Nash you put it all down to conditioning? And if so, do you believe that his conditioning efforts may have at all been related to his lifestyle change? (Partying can do things to the body, you know.)

How much weight did Nash carry as a Mav, versus as a Sun? I wasn't aware there was that big a difference.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:05 AM   #486
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

People need to stop panicking..We'll take the 4 spot and win. If we are good enough to win it all we will win weather we r the #1 or #4 spot. The loss was bad but there were good signs in this game that if we take into the playoff will help us win.

So every1 just chillax.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 04-14-2006 at 01:09 AM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:10 AM   #487
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
the point is that we gave up perhaps the greatest point guard to ever don a Maverick uniform in order to get better at center, and we suck just as bad, if not worse, than we ever have.

Center is STILL the weakest part of this team. All Cuban has done is combine it with another glaring weakness... point guard. Take out Dampier and add back in Nash and this is a 70 win team. A championship team.
Obviously we don't "suck just as bad, if not worse, than we ever have" as we are 1 game away from tying the franchise record or whatever.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:13 AM   #488
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, and the Spurs are setting a franchise record, too. And if the Pistons aren't, they are certainly winning more games than they have since you can remember.

It's an unbalanced league right now. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in games won. The best teams are still going to win out.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:15 AM   #489
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
The reason Nash won the MVP, and why he's one of the favorites to win it again, is that the league finally saw that he doesn't need Dirk to be an elite player. He makes others around him better. He makes his team better.

He is really one of those special kind of players that any franchise should count their lucky fucking stars to get once in their history.

*&*&* Cuban for not doing whatever it took to keep him.
I have to agree with this...it was a cluster-**** of epic porportions to not resign nash. It was a huge mistake. The mavs have worked hard to try and overcome it, probably only devin cures it but he's looking pretty frail at the moment.

We will probably have to suffer another 2 years of mediocre point guard play unless devin steps it up.

Not a good move there cubes, in fact incredibly bad as it turns out.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-14-2006, 01:21 AM   #490
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

If the Mavs make it to the finals this year, then the Nash move was the correct move because that means that Dirk developed skills he didn't have to compensate for Nash's departure. On the other hand, if we exit in the first or second round, then it's essentially of no consequence because we didn't go further than that when Nash was here. It is frustrating, however, to think that we've lost both Kidd & Nash.

Last edited by Captain Disaster; 04-14-2006 at 01:22 AM.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:22 AM   #491
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Sorry Evil, but what Charles said about Stack is a load of horse shit. If you look at what he's brought to the table, you'll quickly see that he has been nothing short of disappointingly inconsistent at best.
Your mom and your sister are a bunch of horse shit. Stackhouse brings an unquantifiably important toughness, an ability to break down opposing defenses and get to the line and hit free throws, and an admirably sneering swagger to our Mavs that has played an incredibly potent part in helping us succeed in this post-Nash era.

You and all of the rest of the chicken-littles who have all been bleating and whining your little bitch bleats and your near-sighted bitch whines lately over on that Stack-hating thread and elsewhere may not be able to recognize that #42's attitude, toughness, and skills have played a huge part in our Mavs being able to achieve what will soon be enshrined as the winningest Mavericks season of all time in this beautiful 05-06 season, but that doesn't change the fact that Stackhouse has, and ever has had, the ability to shut your foul, fool mouths by attacking other team's guards with his defense, busting opposing guard's ankles with his handles, getting to the line and converting his free throws, and ultimately helping our Mavs win far more games by retaining the services of our hard-as-tungsten, former NBA scoring champion than we would have a spam tin's chance in a North Korean slave village's ability to win without him...
Old 04-14-2006, 01:23 AM   #492
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

Let's all hope that the Mavs have fresh legs AND another gear for the playoffs this time!!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:25 AM   #493
Captain Disaster

BTW, as much as I believe that Dirk is truly the MVP, and that Stack should've kept his mouth shut; there is NO DOUBT as to who the best player in the NBA is.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:33 AM   #494
MeMavsFan

MeMavsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Disaster
BTW, as much as I believe that Dirk is truly the MVP, and that Stack should've kept his mouth shut; there is NO DOUBT as to who the best player in the NBA is.
That's true and also why Stack's comment hit me the wrong way. I would feel a little slighted if I'm playing really well and someone on my own team says that my contributions are less valuable than someone on a team a lot worse than mine.
MeMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:35 AM   #495
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
If the Mavs make it to the finals this year, then the Nash move was the correct move because that means that Dirk developed skills he didn't have to compensate for Nash's departure. On the other hand, if we exit in the first or second round, then it's essentially of no consequence because we didn't go further than that when Nash was here. It is frustrating, however, to think that we've lost both Kidd & Nash.
Huh? I'm not understanding this at all. So if we get to the finals we made the right move but if we don't then we made the right move because nash wouldn't have changed anything??

I don't see it, replace jason for nash and this team immediately is smarter and beats the pants off of whomever they would have played in the second round last year. If nothing else there wouldn't have been a phoenix.

A cluster all the way around.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:36 AM   #496
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Well who? The rapist? Bron-bron? Duncan?

To be honest I might still take duncan.

Last edited by dude1394; 04-14-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:39 AM   #497
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
Your mom and your sister are a bunch of horse shit. Stackhouse brings an unquantifiably important toughness, an ability to break down opposing defenses and get to the line and hit free throws, and an admirably sneering swagger to our Mavs that has played an incredibly potent part in helping us succeed in this post-Nash era.

You and all of the rest of the chicken-littles who have all been bleating and whining your little bitch bleats and your near-sighted bitch whines lately over on that Stack-hating thread and elsewhere may not be able to recognize that #42's attitude, toughness, and skills have played a huge part in our Mavs being able to achieve what will soon be enshrined as the winningest Mavericks season of all time in this beautiful 05-06 season, but that doesn't change the fact that Stackhouse has, and ever has had, the ability to shut your foul, fool mouths by attacking other team's guards with his defense, busting opposing guard's ankles with his handles, getting to the line and converting his free throws, and ultimately helping our Mavs win far more games by retaining the services of our hard-as-tungsten, former NBA scoring champion than we would have a spam tin's chance in a North Korean slave village's ability to win without him...
Wow, such intelligent words from Evil. My mom and sister are horseshit?
Just take a look at the game log and come back and tell me whether or not you legitimately believe that Stackhouse is in any way deserving of 6th man of the year. Hell, just go back and look at the game log and tell me if he's been anything more than terribly inconsistent this year.
Can you do that in good conscience? I know that you can't.

I'm sorry, but a pissy attitude without the production doesn't really amount to much.

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-14-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:43 AM   #498
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I stand by my earlier argued points. All of them...

Old 04-14-2006, 01:48 AM   #499
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

omg Evil...I don't agree with you one bit on this but that Microsoft Paint masterpiece needs to be hanging in the Louvre or at least the Musée D'Orsay.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-14-2006 at 01:58 AM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:52 AM   #500
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
I stand by my earlier argued points. All of them...

lmfao.... one of the most hilarious Microsoft Paint masterpieces I've ever seen

EDIT: orangedays, just scrolled up and saw your post, which is almost identical to mine haha, good call

Last edited by WraithXx; 04-14-2006 at 01:53 AM.
WraithXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:11 AM   #501
chumdawg
Guru

What the hell is a "Microsoft Paint masterpiece?"
Old 04-14-2006, 02:11 AM   #502
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Evil,

Stack's contributed mightily to the Mavs' cause this season but his play of late has left both his team and the fans wanting. He's tough - yes. He's got attitude and fire - yes. All positive traits, but those things will only take you so far when you're shooting 41% in the month of April. Stack's shot selection is questionable at best...illustrated by the fact that so far this month he is jacking up 2.5 three-pointers a game (15 3PA) and converting at only 20%. To put that into perspective, through last night's game, he was matching Dirk shot-for-shot from beyond the arc.

Everybody knows what Stack does well - playing aggressive, getting to the line, hell he's even picked up some pretty sick passing skills - the knock against him is that he hasn't done those things enough lately. Through the past 6 games, he's averaging 10 FGA and 11.5 ppg. That suggests way too many jump shots and way too few trips to the charity stripe.

I was no fan of Stack's game before yesterday evening but I was okay with him being here. Why? For some of the reasons that you mentioned - tungsten balls, explosiveness to the hoop, great scoring option off the bench. I became anti-Stackhouse the second he made the (now infamous) MVP comments. Stack's a vet, he should know better. If what he brings to this team is attitude and the ability to have a teammate's back - he did a great job of leaving Dirk alone in the alley last night.

He will never be an efficient offensive option. He will never be a lock-down defender. Hopefully Stack will do in the playoffs what he has done best this season - drop points on the opposing team's second string. For better or for worse, he's here until the end of the season.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:12 AM   #503
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
What the hell is a "Microsoft Paint masterpiece?"
see above
Old 04-14-2006, 03:06 AM   #504
orangedays
Platinum Member

Coming into tonight's game:

Phoenix

Possessions per game (ppg): #1 @ 95.2
Points per 100 possessions (pp100): #1 @ 114.
eFG%: 53.7%.

Dallas

ppg: 25th @ 87.6
pp100: 2nd @ 113.4
eFG%: 49.7%

Tonight, Dallas' eFG% (which factors in 3-pointers) was a little lower than average at 46.5%. The Suns, however, had an eFG% of 63.8%. Two nights after our vaunted defensive effort against the Clippers we allowed the Warriors pitch camp in the paint and tonight we 'let' (though that may not be the correct operative word) the Suns light us up from downtown. And we cannot buy a 3-pt. bucket (25% tonight, 25% last night, 12.5% three nights ago).

We limp our way through the end of May with three straight losses (first time that's ever happened under A.J.), then light up 4 straight playoff-bound teams...then manage to string together another 3 straight nights of absolutely craptastic product and put it on the floor. Whatever, I don't know what's going on. The regular season is over and done with at this point. I can't wait for the playoffs to start so we can light the fires, kick the tires, and get this bad taste out of my mouth.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-14-2006 at 03:59 AM.