Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Is the Mavs projected Front Office better, or worse, with the new hires?
Yes. Definite upgrades 12 46.15%
Maybe. Worse at coach, better at GM. 11 42.31%
Maybe. Worse at GM, better at coach 0 0%
No. Likely worse at both positions. 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all
Default Are Mavs better, or worse, with new FO?

Thought I'd gather everyone's opinion on this. I think this article, although emphasizing other factors (sexual harrassment) over actual team impact, sums things up pretty well.

Kidd's qualifications for the job are questionable. I think too much is made out of his potential synergy with Luka. Kidd and Luka are very different players. On the assist side, probably pretty similar. Outside of that, though, not similar at all. Kidd was NEVER the scorer Luka is already. Luka will NEVER be the defender Kidd was. They're just different. Who in the NBA is most like Luka? Probably James Harden. Does anyone think Harden and Kidd were similar? Aside from that...who has Kidd actually made better in his coaching career? As the article states, maybe young Giannis...but that was just by allowing him to play more as a PG. Did Kidd actually help him learn how to do that? Maybe, but haven't heard anyone say that was the case. Did he help anyone else improve? Not that I'm aware of. Maybe he has learned from his mistakes? He was the highest paid assistant in the NBA. But, as a coach, did he deliver on that? Anything he did for the Lakers that people can point to, and say 'Jason did that'? Otherwise, you have a coach with a history of conflict with the organization (that may not happen here), power grabs, players not knowing roles...pretty much a litany of things you would NOT want your coach associated with. To summarize: Is Jason Kidd better at any aspect of coaching than Rick was? MAYBE the answer to that is 'no', but he is still a better fit for the Mavs right now. I hope so...but not seeing it now. But then, I didn't see what Lue really brought to coaching either...and he's doing pretty good in the playoffs right now.

I'm more hopeful on the new GM, Nico Harrison. LOTS to learn about being a GM, but does bring something really valuable: relationships with lots of players and their agents. Will likely bring new thinking as well, and may mesh better with 'Bob'.

Elevating Finley's role, or at least his involvement, also a factor, but wanted to limit the poll options. Having Dirk more involved also a good thing...but will that continue past this FO search? Can I edit the poll options after posting them to add a choice involving them? I guess if you think these are the deciding factors, choose the appropriate option from the poll, but then indicate this in your comments.

Last edited by BigDog63; 06-25-2021 at 01:21 PM.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #2
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Better

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Better

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Ok...would appreciate some insight into why you think so?
Old 06-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

JKidd- Huge downgrade. For all the reasons already stated and that is an easy google search away.

Nico- Upgrade. Relationships matter and he's been around a long time. Honestly couldn't be happier with this hire.

Staff- So far Barea seems like he is joining and that's a huge plus. Waiting to see the overall staff but hopefully if JKidd gets enough great assistants they can cover for him like the Clippers with Lue.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 06-25-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Since it's only been about 5 minutes, how about we give it some time at least 1-2 seasons before we decide which FO was better.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:25 PM   #6
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Thought I'd gather everyone's opinion on this. I think this article, although emphasizing other factors (sexual harrassment) over actual team impact, sums things up pretty well.

Kidd's qualifications for the job are questionable. I think too much is made out of his potential synergy with Luka. Kidd and Luka are very different players. On the assist side, probably pretty similar. Outside of that, though, not similar at all. Kidd was NEVER the scorer Luka is already. Luka will NEVER be the defender Kidd was. They're just different. Who in the NBA is most like Luka? Probably James Harden. Does anyone think Harden and Kidd were similar? Aside from that...who has Kidd actually made better in his coaching career? As the article states, maybe young Giannis...but that was just by allowing him to play more as a PG. Did Kidd actually help him learn how to do that? Maybe, but haven't heard anyone say that was the case. Did he help anyone else improve? Not that I'm aware of. Maybe he has learned from his mistakes? He was the highest paid assistant in the NBA. But, as a coach, did he deliver on that? Anything he did for the Lakers that people can point to, and say 'Jason did that'? Otherwise, you have a coach with a history of conflict with the organization (that may not happen here), power grabs, players not knowing roles...pretty much a litany of things you would NOT want your coach associated with. To summarize: Is Jason Kidd better at any aspect of coaching than Rick was? MAYBE the answer to that is 'no', but he is still a better fit for the Mavs right now. I hope so...but not seeing it now. But then, I didn't see what Lue really brought to coaching either...and he's doing pretty good in the playoffs right now.

I'm more hopeful on the new GM, Nico Harrison. LOTS to learn about being a GM, but does bring something really valuable: relationships with lots of players and their agents. Will likely bring new thinking as well, and may mesh better with 'Bob'.

Elevating Finley's role, or at least his involvement, also a factor, but wanted to limit the poll options. Having Dirk more involved also a good thing...but will that continue past this FO search? Can I edit the poll options after posting them to add a choice involving them? I guess if you think these are the deciding factors, choose the appropriate option from the poll, but then indicate this in your comments.
Phil Jax, never played like MJ, but without Jackson, most likely no rings. So from that standpoint, it's a gamble, Cuban is banking on Kidd and Luka getting along....this can any direction, we do not know.

In Milwaukee, he moved Giannis to PG to help Giannis develop skills, as the initiator, creating for himself and others. He told Giannis no 3 pointers for a stretch to help Giannis attack the cup, be aggressive. He also had the vision to move and develop Brogdon into a PG to help defend at the one. He had failed in the development of MCW and Jabari Parker.

He's going to need big time assistants to help work with the X's and O's, something similar to Jackson having Winter, or even Steve Kerr having Adams. The rumor of Jet and JJ, is feel good, but they are your end of the bench guys.

Similar hiring of Nico with GSW bringing in Bob Myers but Lacob brought in Jerry West as an advisor. No experience, but tons of relationships. Cuban should consider am experienced advisor.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #7
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
Since it's only been about 5 minutes, how about we give it some time at least 1-2 seasons before we decide which FO was better.
This thread is no different then the free agency thread where we talk about where we are presumably better or worse before a game has been played. You can make your thoughts clear why you think we are better or worse. No reason imo to say wait 2 years before you can even give your opinions on why we are better or worse.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

GM: Way better. Donnie's howdy doody bs never worked IMO. Can't even imagine talking to him on the phone with that nonsense.

Coach: Downgrade...for now. Depends who the staff are and what team is put around him. And actually...what he does for KP. Everyone talks about Luka, but Luka is going to be great no matter what. If Kidd figures out KP, then he'll be in line for coach of the year.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:34 PM   #9
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Also I'm still concerned that nothing has been mentioned of shadow bob... With as much shit that was surrounding him you would think it would be easy to say we are moving on from bob... that hasn't happened so until I see otherwise I'm assuming he will be there with analytics or behind the scenes in some capacity. That also is a huge negative.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:53 PM   #10
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
He's going to need big time assistants to help work with the X's and O's, something similar to Jackson having Winter, or even Steve Kerr having Adams. The rumor of Jet and JJ, is feel good, but they are your end of the bench guys.
Can't find it right now, but there was a hilarious meme of Kevin McHale, when coaching the Rockets, showing the team a whiteboard during a timeout, with the play drawn up on it, with the caption 'can someone tell me what these X's and O's are here?' (he was known, as Kidd seems to be, as someone who didn't really grasp the details or convey them to his team (that latter part being consensus of Kidd at previous stops). So, yes, assistant staff will be UBER important.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:56 PM   #11
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
This thread is no different then the free agency thread where we talk about where we are presumably better or worse before a game has been played. You can make your thoughts clear why you think we are better or worse. No reason imo to say wait 2 years before you can even give your opinions on why we are better or worse.
yes, and thank you. Hey, if your stance is let's not speculate, let's wait and see...that's fine. But talking about this stuff is what sports fans do..and does have some value. We KNOW who the new hires are here. So, the free agent analogy would be after we sign one, how does everyone feel about that? Upgrade? Downgrade? Pros/Cons? etc. then we can all watch for those things as things play out, and see if they line up, are addressed, were never really a factor, etc.

Last edited by BigDog63; 06-25-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:01 PM   #12
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Can't find it right now, but there was a hilarious meme of Kevin McHale, when coaching the Rockets, showing the team a whiteboard during a timeout, with the play drawn up on it, with the caption 'can someone tell me what these X's and O's are here?' (he was known, as Kidd seems to be, as someone who didn't really grasp the details or convey them to his team (that latter part being consensus of Kidd at previous stops). So, yes, assistant staff will be UBER important.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:25 PM   #13
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Like anyone can even know that- Kip Dynamite
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:30 PM   #14
BigDog63

Quote:
that's the one! :-)
Old 06-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #15
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Phil Jax, never played like MJ, but without Jackson, most likely no rings. So from that standpoint, it's a gamble, Cuban is banking on Kidd and Luka getting along....this can any direction, we do not know.

In Milwaukee, he moved Giannis to PG to help Giannis develop skills, as the initiator, creating for himself and others. He told Giannis no 3 pointers for a stretch to help Giannis attack the cup, be aggressive. He also had the vision to move and develop Brogdon into a PG to help defend at the one. He had failed in the development of MCW and Jabari Parker.

Similar hiring of Nico with GSW bringing in Bob Myers but Lacob brought in Jerry West as an advisor. No experience, but tons of relationships. Cuban should consider am experienced advisor.
Not sure I'd lend much credit to MCW and Parker, as the former sucked and the latter had injury issues.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:17 PM   #16
BigDog63

FWIW, my take is worse at coach (hope I'm wrong), but potentially better at GM. Donnie gets a bad knock there...he did what the owner wanted. He had GREAT contacts and insight overseas (Dirk, Antetekounmpo, Luca), and did a pretty good job of finding value at free agency. Terrible at draft picks, but that was more Cuban, I think, than Donnie...Cuban didn't WANT good draft picks...took up slots he wanted to keep open. But, I think his days here were past, and Nico's contacts there, potential new approach, etc are likely an upgrade. Certainly so if you factor in relationship with Bob.

Better coach? I don't know that Kidd is a better coach than Carlisle in anything. BUT, that doesn't mean he might not be a better fit for the Mavs right now. I agree with those saying he needs a great staff (something Rick was good at putting together). I'm hoping for maybe a Tyronn Lue effect. I still don't see what Lue is particularly good at, coaching wise, but he seems to get buy in, and succeed. As long as that last part occurs, I'm good. Kidd certainly seems to have support, from Rick, even, and Dirk, and Cuban. Can he fix all his many apparent flaws from previous HC jobs? Hope so....
Old 06-25-2021, 04:22 PM   #17
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
JKidd- Huge downgrade. For all the reasons already stated and that is an easy google search away.

Nico- Upgrade. Relationships matter and he's been around a long time. Honestly couldn't be happier with this hire.

Staff- So far Barea seems like he is joining and that's a huge plus. Waiting to see the overall staff but hopefully if JKidd gets enough great assistants they can cover for him like the Clippers with Lue.
These are my thoughts exactly.
Coach: downgrade
GM: upgrade. Players know who Nico is and respect him. I think he will help in attracting FA (I hope)

Staff: I have always been a fan of former head coaches being assistants when they are available. I’m hopeful Kidd can land some guys like that for his staff (but not demote them to filing duty this time). I’m hoping Barea is more of a player development coach than an assistant of any kind.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:00 PM   #18
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

2 hours ago – via Twitter MagicJohnson

Magic Johnson: Once again Mark Cuban is always thinking outside the box which is why he such a great businessman. Hiring Nike exec Nico Harrison as the GM & @Jason Kidd as head coach is a game changer. Both hires will make the Mavs championship contenders for many years to come! @Mark Cuban
Old 06-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #19
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
If the roster is turned over in previously unimaginable ways then I don't think it will take 1 or 2 seasons to decide. I predict this thing will be shook up more than you think.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:57 PM   #20
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I love the hire of Kidd.

I think he's going to be much better in terms of synergy with today's players as oppsoed to RC.

I think the in house relationships between Kidd, Dirk and Finley will be a plus for the Mavs.

They all trust each other

It seems luka isn't the only player who endorses Kidd so I'm guessing this move will benefit the roster overall.

I guessing we won't see as many games anymore where the team comes out flat looking unmotivated and not ready to play.

How often did we witness that display over the past few years.

It also wouldn't shock me now if the Mavs get 1-2 legit FA's to truly consider coming here now where as prior to these moves I really didn't have that much faith.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #21
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't consider Coach to be front office. Therefor a big upgrade. Donnie was dead and so was Rick.

Idk about coaching. I don't think it will be hard to improve on where we ended this season. At least we should see more opportunities for the young guys. Thats a win for us at this point. If Kidd can reinvigorate the players it another bonus.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:42 AM   #22
Dolencd

Dolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to allDolencd is a name known to all

Nico Harrison as GM will be one of the best signings in NBA this year. This move is very smart indeed.
Jason Kidd is a bit of a gamble, but in my eyes a calculated one. I think Mavs can do great things from now on. We live in a "Woke", "MeToo" era where all media gets crucified for stepping just a bit on the wrong side. I think that has a lot to do with media opinion on j Kidd.

Things will be OK.
Dolencd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #23
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

No one knows, and if you do know for sure, I'd like to get the lottery numbers as well. X's and O's aren't winning much now a days, it's talent, health, and defense.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #24
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I'd argue that there's a chance both are better and not sure why that's not an option. It's no guarantee, but there's a decent chance both are upgrades.

Rick was one of the best Xs and Os coaches in the league and yet couldn't get our guys to play together. Doncic will be just as good, but there's at least a chance that Kidd can get the rest of the guys playing better.

Donnie was solid but had a huge weakness in free agency. There's even an argument that he struck out in the draft (other than Luka). If a GM can't sign good players or draft good players, is he even a good GM?

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-26-2021 at 09:38 AM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #25
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

I think part of the premise of the question is a little bit off. No way Kidd is as good an Xs-and-Os coach as Carlisle at this point, or maybe ever. But that's a moot point. Carlisle had a probably irreparable disconnect with Doncic; and for better or worse at this point (worse in my opinion), if you've lost Doncic, you've lost the roster.

So the question becomes: Was Kidd the best candidate available? Why or why not? Who were the alternatives?

Kidd wouldn't have been my choice, but I don't have a good alternative either. So for me, why not Kidd?

The next coach for the Mavericks has to be able to command the respect of Doncic, and help him develop as a team leader and floor general; help him understand how to sacrifice inflated individual stats for the greater team good; help him to understand when 'less is more'; get him to buy in on involving the other talent(s) on the floor, rather than letting some supposed personal feud disrupt on-the-floor cohesion and basketball product.

Pulling together all these Legacy Mavs (Fin, Dirk, Kidd, Terry, Barea) originally struck me as a Cuban-inspired nostaliga-smokescreen. But if they can somehow collectively motivate Doncic to see beyond himself and think in terms of the franchise, then maybe it's worth a shot.

If Kidd & Doncic becomes Kidd v. Doncic, at least it will be entertaining to watch two huge, uber-alpha-competitive egos knock heads. Maybe Kidd has learned something from his failures, and maybe he feels like he has something to prove. Same for Doncic, who really needs to be challenged at this point, instead of coddled and adulated.

Perhaps Kidd will be a bridge-coach to the next level for Doncic, like Avery was for Dirk.

And if KP is going to remain with the team, my hope would be that Dirk will be able to help him develop his body, and develop his game so that he can't be left out of the offense, or ignored by his teammates the way he was in 2021.

I know nothing about Harrison, but if he can catch the attention of some top-flight free agents in the next couple years, and at least give them the Mavericks' pitch, then he's probably worth the gamble, at least in the short-term. Seems like Donnie just couldn't spur anyone's interest anymore. (My biggest quibble with him is still that he failed to get Ntilikina instead of Courtney Effin' Lee.)
"Here's a guy that thinks that he can win every possession of every game. ... I think part of his maturity is again knowing how to balance all those kill shots with involving teammates at the right time....That's just part of the maturity process. I think as we move forward you'll see more of an inclusive effort overall on those fronts. I do know that their supposed rift, tiff, whatever you want to call it, is way overblown." - Donnie Nelson, ex-Mavs GM

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 06-26-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #26
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

I think the change is a huge upgrade. I love the GM. He's an outside the organization, outside the box pick who is well known amongst professional NBA players, and he has very good people skills as well as premium relationship contacts. Also, don't underestimate his ability to bring some creativeness to the job just because he doesn't have an NBA franchise employment background. Personally, I think this is a huge plus. Nike is one of the top companies on the planet and best practices are not always industry specific.

Short-term, I think Kidd is a huge upgrade. Just the fact that he'll play younger guys more and bring a new philosophy to the offense should be a breath of fresh air. He can't get any LESS out of KP than RC and his old staff did. I have confidence that Kidd can be more creative than copying Lakers plays. If not, at least he knows ALL of the plays the Lakers have been running the last couple of years.

The more I think about it, the more I'm glad RC is gone. I can imagine the relief that more than a couple of people will feel now when they go back to work. Addition by subtraction when you are finally rid of a churlish asshole who is in a position of authority. Nobody wants to be stuck in a job where the dislikes going to work due to the work environment.

Last edited by turin; 06-27-2021 at 07:24 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #27
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Reasons for optimism: Former and current players around the league are applauding the changes which will hopefully lead to an upgrade in the roster; I do not see either JKidd or Nico as passive individuals and allow Cuban to walk all over them but more likely will put up some resistance; JKidd will likely be bold in trying out some out-of-the-box ideas.

Reasons for concern: Neither has a track record for excellence in the position they are about to take on; possible character issues with the new HC; JKidd will likely be bold in trying out some out-of-the-box ideas.

Conclusion: I am choosing optimism and saying the Mavs will have a great 2021-2022. The changes will energize the team and Luka will have fun. Mavs finish in the top four in the West and make it to the Conference Finals. No prediction beyond that......
Old 06-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #28
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Incredibly better. We forgot the tactical errors that Carlisle made and only think of his supposed genius. I am still perplexed why the genius never won a series in which he wasn't favored with a very large sample size now. Just one would have been nice.

I also think we are doing a disservice by just saying Nico is a great relations guy. The dude by all accounts was an incredible executive managing the basketball operations for a large multi billion dollar organization so he is said to be an incredible executive and manager of people with a staff of several hundred that rolled up to him. If any of you spent time in large corporate organizations you can attest to the fact some people are better than others at managing a large corporate function. The word I have heard on the radio in Dallas is that Nico will manage all basketball operations which includes all support staff, scouting, analytics etc.. Finley will be more in the role of long time assistant to the owner but make no mistake this is Nico's organization to run.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #29
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

I think the hiring of Nico and Kidd is all about attracting free agents. There’s no doubt that Carlisle is a better coach than Kidd. As maligned as Kidd’s coaching has been and as much as some fans hate Kidd, he’s still widely popular amongst the players around the league. I mean Damian Lillard openly lobbied for Kidd to get the HC job in Portland. Kidd is a players coach. They decided to stop allowing the HC to be a reason free agents don’t want to come to Dallas. Not that Rick was the only reason but he was a part of the problem. This is a case of being ok with taking a step back in coaching in order to have a better shot at putting better players around Luka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:42 PM   #30
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
I think the hiring of Nico and Kidd is all about attracting free agents. There’s no doubt that Carlisle is a better coach than Kidd. As maligned as Kidd’s coaching has been and as much as some fans hate Kidd, he’s still widely popular amongst the players around the league. I mean Damian Lillard openly lobbied for Kidd to get the HC job in Portland. Kidd is a players coach. They decided to stop allowing the HC to be a reason free agents don’t want to come to Dallas. Not that Rick was the only reason but he was a part of the problem. This is a case of being ok with taking a step back in coaching in order to have a better shot at putting better players around Luka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this. Today’s NBA is all about relationships, for better or worse. It may start with DeRozan in FA.

I fully expect/hope that the new team will do what they can to rebuild our asset base for a trade for the next star that hits the market. Not sure yet if they’ll want to trade or rehab KP. We don’t have all of the inside info about how much of the problem with KP was RC, Luka, or injury related. Or what the ratio of those things looks like, rather.

Other things on the horizon to look for: extension for DFS? Trade of Brunson or hope he continues to develop and we can afford to re-sign him? SnT of JRich or THJ? Pick up WCS option? Man, there are ALOT of moving parts this offseason.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:11 PM   #31
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
I think coaching will be a net positive since Kidd will be so much better at getting the most out of players than RC. No more mysterious dog house. No more playing 20 minutes a game for 5 games in a row and then the player disappears from the rotation. No more rookies getting zero development time
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:57 PM   #32
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I love the hire of Kidd.

I think he's going to be much better in terms of synergy with today's players as oppsoed to RC.
I think this was Cuban's focus, and in today's NBA, maybe it should be. So, if Kidd is a lot better at this, but worse at everything else coaching related...is that better? Cuban, and Magic, seem to think so. Plus, maybe Kidd has improved a lot as a coach. But, this was all about making Luca happy, and drawing other talent.

Quote:
I guessing we won't see as many games anymore where the team comes out flat looking unmotivated and not ready to play.

How often did we witness that display over the past few years.
Far, far too often. But was that on Carlisle? As many players have said, if you need a coach to get you mentally into playing...you're not much of a player. You're supposed to be an adult, and treat the games professionally...which includes getting yourself ready to play. So, to me, this reflects a lot more on the players than it did on Carlisle.

Not sure Kidd will help there much, other than maybe having better relationship with them. The knock on him at Milwaukee is he was too hard on some players, which maybe sounds a lot like Rick.

Quote:
It also wouldn't shock me now if the Mavs get 1-2 legit FA's to truly consider coming here now where as prior to these moves I really didn't have that much faith.
That's what this is all about. I think Nico will definitely help there. Not sure if Kidd will, or not. But, players probably want to play for other players. Look at Lue, who wasn't nearly as accomplished, and therefore respected, player as Kidd was.

Last edited by BigDog63; 06-26-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:24 PM   #33
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
I think coaching will be a net positive since Kidd will be so much better at getting the most out of players than RC. No more mysterious dog house. No more playing 20 minutes a game for 5 games in a row and then the player disappears from the rotation. No more rookies getting zero development time
I've been trying not to knock Rick because of 2011, and he isn't here anymore. I was also on the fence about firing/him leaving. I actually think it made more sense to fire him years ago.

But that dog house crap was so obvious and so childish...never made any sense. And it tended to happen a lot with big men. Like I'm not sure there is a coach in the league who coaches big men worse than Rick.

Your whole post is spot on with why we needed to move on. It was time.

Old 06-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #34
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Its going to be a fun season when the "Fire Rick" squad sees the beauty of Jason Kidds coaching
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #35
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
If the roster is turned over in previously unimaginable ways then I don't think it will take 1 or 2 seasons to decide. I predict this thing will be shook up more than you think.
If so, next year likely a 'getting to know each other' year. I would expect the team to struggle more, even if the roster is actually better.

Personally, I don't think the roster is that bad. They do need someone else who can create. Lots of players did struggle..but I think that's fixable. Did JRich decline that much overnight? I don't think so. KP actually did pretty well in the regular season, once he got his legs back. Did struggle defensively. Not sure what that cause of that was. So, I'm thinking that's fixable too. But he's the one piece they can trade to get that other player they're looking for. If there is wholesale change...they'll all have to learn how to play together. That takes time, even for superstars. Longer for lesser players.

Also, if JKidd can't figure out how to make the parts work...it doesn't really matter who the parts are. He'll still not be able to make them work together. Mavs are not, I'm pretty sure, going to accumulate some monster roster that just wins no matter what. It will be Luca, maybe another top player, and either many of the same players we already have, or a group of similar players.

We saw this year what happens when you have a fair amount of change...many of the parts don't work out like you hoped. Leading to...another year of change. Often, then another (remember The Process?). Nico needs to be as good as advertised to make that work. I would say they need to actually draft, too...but that's hard when you have no picks. ;-)
Old 06-26-2021, 08:06 PM   #36
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Its going to be a fun season when the "Fire Rick" squad sees the beauty of Jason Kidds coaching
That reminds me... On the plus side the GDT's won't be spammed with fire RC posts. Blaming RC for KP shooting 35 foot 3's. Blaming RC for slow starts. Blaming RC for THJ missing shots. Blaming RC for Hammer Pants and Crocs. Blaming RC for Global warming. Blaming RC for not making the 6th seed but then making it and blaming him for not getting higher. Blaming RC for Nickelback. Blaming RC for KP's shit defense. Blaming RC for <insert RC's lineup here> being chosen over <insert ground breaking new lineup here by x poster>. etc...

It's going to be rich if those same issues come up(Not hammer pants they gone) and then I see the GDT filled with posts saying the roster isn't good enough.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #37
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

There is no doubt that Carlisle is a better coach than Kidd, and I have defended him from day one, because of how well he does with the chickent sh!t lineups he's had to work with. But that doesn't mean he is the best coach for the Mavs right now. Many think the players are tuning him out. More importantly, I don't think he helps us attract the players we need. Every year since the championship, Cuban set his sights on some of the highest profile free agents, and always failed to get them. The one they did get, through a trade that cost us Jae Crowder and one or 2 first round picks, blew up in our faces because Rondo could not get along with Carlisle.

I have no doubt that guys we swung and missed on, from Chris Paul to Deandre Jordan to the latest, Kemba Walker, would rather play for Jason Kidd than Carlisle. And I suspect they will relate better to Nico, who has been making big time deals with high powered hoops stars for more than a decade, than to Donnie. When they ask "what is life like for a rich Black man in Dallas," Donnie doesn't know as much now as Nico will know a month from now.

If you look at the Mavs team that won the championship, the only draft pick on the team besides Dirk was JJB. So Cuban is going to try to build by bringing in better players. I'm really hoping Nico can pull off some big signings this summer. He's buddies with Dame, and probably knows exactly how he feels about staying in Portland for a rebuild. Imagine how open Lilliard would be with Luka drawing triple teams. Can't say Nico could pull that off, but I know for sure that Donnie could not. Nico is not just friends with many of the best players, he's gotten them to sign on the dotted line and made them richer. They trust him. That has to help.

At least that's the hope, and I'm a lot more hopeful now than I was at season's end. Honestly, weren't you expecting another off season where the Mavs failed to make any major upgrades? Now, I think we have a chance.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:22 PM   #38
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
You're confusing people who wanted a new coach with wanting Jason Kidd as their coach...

Old 06-26-2021, 08:26 PM   #39
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
You're confusing people who wanted a new coach with wanting Jason Kidd as their coach...
No the GDT's this year were the worst I can recall in recent memory(especially after the trade deadline). It was all game long wins or losses didn't matter it was a giant repetitive trash RC fest.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:02 PM   #40
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
No the GDT's this year were the worst I can recall in recent memory(especially after the trade deadline). It was all game long wins or losses didn't matter it was a giant repetitive trash RC fest.
That's why I stopped posting here until the playoffs started. It wasn't worth it.

If people want to genuinely and level-headedly criticize things, then I'm all for it.

But those select few know who they are that just kept going like the energizer bunny.