Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-20-2002, 04:39 AM   #1
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I have noticed something about Dirk since Fin has come back. He seems to be sitting at the three point line a lot more. His free throws are way down. If you exclude the freaky double overtime against the Pacers he is averaging about 4.5 free throws per game. When Fin was gone he averaged 9.6 a game. Now naturally one would expect that number to come down a bit, but I think Dirk needs to work his way back to the basket a bit. This team is a lot better when Dirk is shooting free throws, and he has a tendency to get lost in the shuffle sometimes during games (see tonight).

Interesting stat of the day:

The Mavs are 10-1 when Dirk shoots more than 10 free throws.

I think when he takes it to the hole it opens u the rest of his game as well as those around him.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2002, 05:12 AM   #2
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

What is it with Dirk?

There always seems to be this "flu" hanging over his head. I figure that if you are fit enough to play, you play, if you aren't you don't. Are they playing him half-fit?

Seems that they are, that is probably doing him no good in the long run.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:57 AM   #3
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

...and the last games he's struggling with his scoring too. Only 15,7 points, but 10,7 boards and 3,3 assists the last 3 games.
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 12:38 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

he's simply not getting involved enough in the offense.
deferring to others too much..not getting enough touches...not taking it to the hole enough
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:33 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Dirk is not a stat hound or a "Me" guy. Because of this he is a little too passive. He needs to take the ball and drive to the hoop. When he does this he goes to the line like you stated. 10-1 when he shoots 10 or more free throws is an impressive stat. He needs a swift kick in the behind and needs to become more aggressive. This will come with time. I am already seeing that he is getting tired of taking the NBA beating. He will snap out of it soon enough.

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 02:49 PM   #6
Joe Joe
Banned

Joe Joe is on a distinguished road

Exactly what you said Doc, but I see it as he needs to get back out of this "soft" mindset. At the beginning of the season and when Fin was out he was agressive, here of late I don't know who that was out there. He looked like he did in his rookie year, and I don't like it at all. Obviously Murph not only wants Dirk to touch the ball everytime down but shoot or create for others as well. Not let Nash run the team like the great floor leader he is, but let Dirk do it. He's getting plenty of touches but I think he maybe lacking in confidence cause I haven't seem him like this in a while. He's taking bad shots, and passing up the good shots. He's not playing his game, the game we all know and love. Anyone who can't see this is blind, I don't see it as him not getting touches and what not either. I see it as him lacking confidence or simply trying to be something he's not, and Dirk doesn't seem like that type.
Joe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 04:16 PM   #7
dolemite220

dolemite220 is on a distinguished road

Dirk is just going through a funk. He is juman you know. The team is trying to adjust to Finley being back. Once we do we'll be a great ball club.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:37 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

dolemite:

"juman" Is that a German Human? LOL!

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote