Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-19-2002, 07:31 PM   #41
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Ray Allen?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2002, 07:46 PM   #42
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Actually Murph, not too many people are giving you crap, it seems that people seem to agree. Well that's opinions and there's nothing wrong with opinions. However after a year or two if the Mavs do NOT win a championship or even get to one, I want to see how many of you will be talking about getting rid of Dirk or Nash? If the team does not elevate past the level we are on who on this board will want to get rid of them? I guarantee it won't be the people who are talking about getting rid of Fin.... >>

I'm not so sure about that, Kid. Dallas fans are fickle as hell. Not Murph-- as you say at least he's been consistent. But the dozens of 'fans' crawling out of the woodwork on message boards and talk radio actively looking to trade Finley (as opposed to being willing to listen to offers).

<< . . . HOWEVER to just say, one of the players who HAS BEEN THE CORNERSTONE of your franchise is on the block when the team is at it's highest level it has been for some years is sick. >>

I agree. If a team came to the Mavericks with an impressive offer for Finley, then I would want them to listen and possibly act on it. But given Finley's history with the club, and given that we are talking about a team that is now 2nd in the League, the general rush to trade Finley is pathetic.

<< If you all are real Mavs fans as you claim, they stuck with Blackman, Harper, Davis, Donaldson until they were all at the end of their career.... >>

That was Mavs management. Mavs fans are a whole different issue, theKid.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 08:17 PM   #43
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

seelen- of course you would trade Fin for the players you just mentioned, but that would never happen! Tim Duncan? OMG, they would have to throw in half the team with Fin. Morning AND eddie Jones?! WOW, u must be being sarcastic or you are really high on FIN. And Ray Allen- last but not least. Fin for Allen- the bucks would LOSE, allen is a much better player..imho
Old 02-19-2002, 10:35 PM   #44
Chris

Chris is on a distinguished road

Yeah, real insightful, Reeds. His point was that you only trade Finley if it substantively makes the team better. Otherwise, you're disrespecting a good man, and gambling with an exceptionally good team.

Trade Finley for Stackhouse? No. Why? In addition to Finley not being as selfish as Stackhouse (and most shooting guards in the league), Finley is a person, and basketball is not a game you simulate on your computer, it is real life. No one will want to play for a team that shows no loyalty towards its players, and no one will want to sign with a team that shows no loyalty to its players. Especially players who have been as loyal as Finley.

Trade Finley for Wallace? Again no. Why? Because, while Finley is probably between sixth and eighth at shooting guard, Wallace is, at best, sixth to eighth. Furthermore, he is not exactly the most reliable player, and has shown a remarkable immaturity throughout his professional career. If Wallace were a top 3 PF, who had serious temper problems, it would be a much more appealing trade. But there's no reason to mess up a top 3 team to get a player like Wallace.

However, were we offered someone like Duncan, who would obviously make the team better, we should do it. Likewise, Allen, who is a clear upgrade at the shooting guard, would be a good move. Otherwise, all you're doing is taking dangerous risks, that might make us much worse, but aren't going to make us that much better.

About Finley being overrated: yes, perhaps he is overrated in some circles, and perhaps he is a little overpaid. However, Simmons' claims about his shot selection and him being &quot;wildly overpaid&quot; are ridiculous, embarrassing, and stupid.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 11:14 PM   #45
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< Simmons' claims about his shot selection and him being &quot;wildly overpaid&quot; are ridiculous, embarrassing, and stupid. >>

You might want to watch the Mavs/Wolves game again.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 11:25 PM   #46
Chris

&lt;&lt;You might want to watch the Mavs/Wolves game again. &gt;&gt;

You might try making your opinions based on more than one game. Finley, despite today's dismal game, is shooting 43.8%, a mite better than Chauncey Billups, even.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:29 PM   #47
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Well his shot selection has been questionable for a long time.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 11:33 PM   #48
ma-gaga

ma-gaga is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry, but to try and offer Finley for Duncan the Mavericks would be laughed at and politely told, &quot;no thanks.&quot; I don't know where Finley stands overall, but you don't trade a top 5 player for a top 20 player. (and i don't even know if Finley makes top 20 in the league...)

No offense to finley, he's a stud, but his role has been diminished. He needs to assert himself a little more. Trust me, every other team in the league would love to have their #3 option be Finley. (well, except the Wolves tonight i guess...)
ma-gaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 11:35 PM   #49
Chris

Eh. I think it's pretty ridiculous to be questioning Finley's shot selection (especially when the production is there) when we have Tim Hardaway on the team.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:19 AM   #50
Joe Joe
Banned

Joe Joe is on a distinguished road

Come on you guys are looking at way wrong. You say Finley is no top 5 guard. Well Nash is not a top 5 guard and Dirk isn't a top 5 forward. You cannot simply trade the guy for that, you have to show the guy some loyalty. That is ridiculous, just trading the guy for the hell of it is wrong. To be honest I think Murph wants to trade the guy just for the heck of it.
Joe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 01:21 AM   #51
Joe Joe
Banned

Another thing, hell if Dirk or Nash start playing &quot;unlike&quot; themself for a period of time then do the Mavs trade 1 of them? Come on show loyalty to this team and the guys. Let's just let them grow together and see what they do in the playoffs.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:08 AM   #52
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry joe joe..but i think dirk is widely considered a top 5 forward.. some experts even put him as among the top 5 players in the league right now..
most also have nash as a top 5 point guard..

but i don't think many have finley as a top 5 SG.

as for trading finley for wallace...saying that wallace is a 6-8 forward in the NBA..
well, to be honest, ...a 6-8 forward in the NBA is worth more than a 6-8 SG in the NBA right now...

also..i think stackhouse is &quot;probably&quot; a better player than finley.. however, i wouldn't trade stack for fin

another thing..i think i've been extremely consistent..and all i'm asking for is to look at trade possibilities..not to trade finley for whoever comes along and makes an offer

to be honest, joe joe..i think your sole purpose on this board is to simply make people mad
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 09:12 AM   #53
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Well everyone brings up some interesting points that's for sure, also Bayliss, maybe Fin's shot selection has been poor, the difference now compared to before is he doesn't get as MANY shots as he once did. They were tolerable before because he would score 20+ a game, where now he's not even breaking 20 so in the eyes of many (including yourself) his abilities have diminished........ When that's not the case.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:49 AM   #54
Joe Joe
Banned

It wasn't rather Fin was a top SG or not, it was whether he was a Top Guard or not. Dirk is no Top 5 Forwardd, 10 maybe but I hesitate to put him there. Nash is a top PG, but he is no Top 5 Guard. I just bet those experts are among people who &quot;think&quot; they are experts, International Media or just plain dumb if they put him in the top 5 players or the among the top 5 in forwards as a whole. I have no reason to care what you think my reason for being on this board is. I do know you are losing credibility on this board real quick, Dirk top 5 players??Dirk top 5 forward?? Man, get real and watch more games besides the Mavs.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:27 PM   #55
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

thekid, i have personally thought that finley had poor shot selection ever since he came to dallas... now, maybe you agree or disagree...however, i will say that he isn't near as bad as some others around the league when it comes to shot selection.

but, i think a couple of years ago..he could have been a top 5 SG if he would have had better shot selection..that's all
Old 02-20-2002, 01:45 PM   #56
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Well, actually a Duncan for Finley swap isnt that unrealistic if time comes.

With Duncan´s contract expiring he will likely be a Trade Deadline bait NEXT year, as the spurs with both Duncan and Robinson heading out of League/Town are entering a rebuilding process and Smith isnt a guy to build around any more (nor will be Fin then, but he might be a worthy addition and leader).

Mourning / Jones for Fin wouldnt even roughly work cap wise, I was just sick of trying to make a balanced deal. Of course we would have to throw in Juwan, but it wasnt worth mentioning.

Ray Allen was no proposal. He´s just the guy at Fin´s position I´d like most to have here if Fin leaves. No Tmac, no Kobe needed.

I´d still like to bring up the Idea of Fortson and a guard in a three way deal ...?

j
Old 02-20-2002, 01:50 PM   #57
Murphy3
Guru

i kinda like the fortson and a guard idea....work on it..and see what you come up with...then send it to nellie and cuban