Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-26-2003, 01:47 PM   #1
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tracking the Fantasy Five

Coming off these last couple games in which we've seen the Fantasy Five lineup come into the game in the third quarter and turn a competitive matchup into a laugher, I thought it might be nice to track the statistics of this lineup through the season to see if they can continue to live up to the ridiculously high standard they've already set for themsleves. For those that are interested, all the stats I'm posting come from 82games.com.

Min - 8.42%
Off - 130.6
Def - 78.9
Net - 51.7
W - 9
L - 1
Win% - 90.0
eFG - .600
eFGA - .353
FTA - +3.4
Close - 36%
dClose - 32%
Reb - 47.5%
T/O - +6%

Here's a key:
Min - percentage of minutes played
Off - points scored per 48 minutes
Def - points allowed per 48 minutes
Net - scoring differential per 48 minutes
W - number of games in which the lineup has outscored the opposition while on the floor
L - number of games in which the lineup has been outscored
Win% - self explanatory
eFG - effective field goal percentage for the unit
eFGA - effective field goal percentage allowed by the unit
FTA - free throws attempted differential per 48 minutes
Close - percentage of shots taken in close
dClose - percentage of shots taken in close by opponents
Reb - (offensive rebounding% plus defensive rebounding%) divided by 2
T/O - net turnover percentage (+ numbers are good)

edited - rebounding stat and definition
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2003, 03:29 PM   #2
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Tracking the Fantasy Five

Maybe I am slow, but I don't get it. Can you explain this to me?
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 03:40 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

In essence, these statistics represent how the Mavericks perform when they have their Fantasy Five lineup out on the floor(Nash, Fin, AJ, AW, and Dirk). Think of it as the same types of statistics you'd get if you looked at ESPN.com's per game team statistics, but with the focus put on how this particular lineup does when and only when they are all out on the court together. Kind of a cool way of looking at which player combinations (rather than just players) are helping or hurting your team. Not sure if this helps, I'm being a little general I know. If you have any other specific questions about what the stats mean feel free to ask.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:44 PM   #4
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

Thanks, that helped out a lot. I was confused as to how the 5 players averaged 8% of the minutes but scored 130 pts a game. But now I understand. Cool point of view. And thanks for the website.
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 03:46 PM   #5
Tarzan

Tarzan is on a distinguished road

According to those stats, the Fantasy Five is incredibly dominant offensively and defensively. Grabbing 95% of the rebounds is insanely good. It is hard to read too much into stats this early in the season. It will be fun to watch how these stats evolve as the season progresses.

A question these stats raise is, why is this lineup only used 8.42% of the time?
Old 11-26-2003, 03:50 PM   #6
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

WOW GMC, those numbers are staggering. I wonder if they are the best lineup in the league, let alone just our team? I wonder how they compare to the Lakers best lineup? Thanks for keeping us informed GMC.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 03:56 PM   #7
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

I should clarify the rebounding stat, because I don't think I phrased the description any better than 82games did, and they phrased it relatively poorly ("rebound percentage for the unit, based on chances"). The issue is that there are some lineups for which the Reb stat is over 100%, so i'm thinking that 95% actually means they're getting beaten on the boards. I'll try to drop an email to them to find out what they actually mean. Bottom line, though, is that if I'm understanding things correctly, rebounding is the only area this unit isn't wooping up on their opponents.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:15 PM   #8
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tracking the Fantasy Five

I am at a loss of words..... those numbers just make me cry tears of joy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I can't quite recall the situations in which the lineup was used, but I don't think it could possibly have been during non-meaningful minutes. Which leads me to believe this lineup is absolutely nighmarish for opponents, on both ends of the court. I'll just have to watch this lineup more, besides, it's so early in the season. It'll definitely be fun to see how it progresses. 60% FG shooting while they're in, while keeping the other team to 35%? Wow....
Old 11-26-2003, 04:17 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Okay, just got clarification from 82games on the Reb stat. It's offensive rebounding% plus defensive rebounding%. It actually makes more sense if you divide it by two. I'll edit the first post to include that definition, and just for kicks I think I'll do the division to make it more clear. Sorry for the confusion everyone.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:12 PM   #10
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Can there be a better name than "Fantasy Five"? I know that's not the point of the thread (good thread by the way), but I've heard "Fab 5", "Fantastic 5" & of course the "Big 5".

I just think there's got to be a better name for them.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to deal.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 06:45 PM   #11
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tracking the Fantasy Five

Wouldn't all 5 players be good fantasy basketball players? I don't play, but I think they would, they rack up a lot of numbers, like scoring, rebounding, assists. So I like "fantasy five"
Old 11-26-2003, 06:48 PM   #12
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavs Rule
WOW GMC, those numbers are staggering. I wonder if they are the best lineup in the league, let alone just our team? I wonder how they compare to the Lakers best lineup? Thanks for keeping us informed GMC.
Here you go: http://www.82games.com/comm6.htm
Old 11-26-2003, 06:58 PM   #13
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Amazing stats! Thanks for posting them.
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 06:58 PM   #14
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Thank you Bernardos, I thought GMC might know that off the top of his head. I guess not. Our Big Five is THE BEST LINEUP in the entire league. The second best is from the Lakers, but one that doesn't include Kobe. They are Payton Fisher George Malone Shaq. Surprising indeed.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:07 PM   #15
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

I found something else very interesting. The Big Five is only the third most used unit on the team. What is up with that Nellie? This all comes back to not starting Jamison, which I feel is a mistake. Maybe he will start him once we start heading towards the playoffs, so that we can build momentum. I bet Jamison secretly wouldn't be too happy with not starting for most of the season, but as always, would keep it to himself.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:18 PM   #16
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Mavs Rule, sorry, totally forgot about your question. I've actually found a couple other lineups with a better net. The Warriors, Rockets, Knicks, and Clippers all have one, for example. The difference is in the number of minutes played (their lineups have played only 1-3% of the minutes, which means the measure is less reliable). If we limit the search to lineups that have appeared in at least 8% of the minutes (as with ours), the next best net is only 27.4 (Detroit)
Old 11-26-2003, 07:28 PM   #17
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

No problem GMC. Here are the stats for the Top Performing Five-Man Floor Units (as of 11/25, minimum 5% of team minutes):

Quote:
# Team Unit Min Off Def Net48 W L W%
1 DAL Nash-Finley-Jamison-Walker-Nowitzki 8.42% 130.6 78.9 +52 9 1 90 %
2 LAL Payton-Fisher-George-Malone-O'Neal 5.74% 122.2 80.2 +42 7 2 77 %
3 SEA Murray-Barry-Lewis-Radmanovic-James 5.72% 122.2 94.2 +28 4 1 80 %
4 MIN Cassell-Hassell-Sprewell-Garnett-Olowokandi 5.10% 113.2 85.3 +28 5 2 71 %
5 DET Billups-Hamilton-Prince-Williamson-Wallace 8.03% 102.1 74.7 +27 6 2 75 %
6 DET Billups-Hamilton-Prince-Okur-Wallace 11.95% 102.6 75.9 +27 10 2 83 %
7 MIL Jones-Mason-Kukoc-Thomas-Gadzuric 6.66% 92.0 66.0 +26 7 2 77 %
8 IND Johnson-Miller-Artest-O'Neal-Foster 5.08% 106.0 80.5 +25 6 1 85 %
9 IND Anderson-Miller-Artest-O'Neal-Foster 22.92% 96.6 73.0 +24 9 2 81 %
10 NYK Eisley-Houston-Van Horn-Thomas-Mutombo 6.30% 114.4 91.8 +23 3 1 75 %
11 PHO Marbury-Johnson-Marion-Stoudemire-White 13.77% 99.0 76.5 +23 4 2 66 %
12 BOS James-Pierce-Brown-Baker-Blount 11.84% 97.9 76.9 +21 5 3 62 %
13 WAS Arenas-Hughes-Hayes-Laettner-Brown 12.88% 105.2 85.2 +20 4 3 57 %
14 SEA Murray-Barry-Lewis-Evans-Radmanovic 7.07% 98.9 79.8 +19 5 4 55 %
15 NJN Kidd-Kittles-Jefferson-Scalabrine-Collins 6.33% 97.4 81.4 +16 1 0 100 %
16 TOR Palacio-Carter-Curry-WilliamsJ-Davis 5.25% 95.6 79.6 +16 3 3 50 %
17 IND Johnson-Artest-Harrington-O'Neal-Foster 5.28% 88.5 73.5 +15 7 3 70 %
18 SAC Bibby-Christie-Stojakovic-Miller-Divac 38.47% 111.2 96.8 +14 11 3 78 %
19 LAL Payton-Bryant-George-Malone-O'Neal 34.52% 106.6 92.4 +14 9 2 81 %
20 DAL Best-Finley-Jamison-Walker-Nowitzki 5.53% 94.3 80.1 +14 4 4 50 %
21 NJN Kidd-Kittles-Jefferson-Williams-Collins 12.04% 97.9 84.2 +14 4 3 57 %
22 PHO Marbury-Johnson-Jacobsen-Marion-Stoudemire 5.94% 114.7 101.6 +13 3 4 42 %
23 TOR Palacio-Carter-Curry-Bosh-Davis 6.73% 87.0 74.5 +12 6 2 75 %
24 UTA Arroyo-Stevenson-Harpring-Kirilenko-Ostertag 25.58% 100.5 88.6 +12 7 3 70 %
25 PHO Marbury-Johnson-Marion-Stoudemire-Williams 9.34% 102.8 91.2 +12 2 2 50 %

Old 11-26-2003, 07:37 PM   #18
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

How is it that people can still find a way to complain about Nellie even though he put together the best 5 man unit? lol
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 07:46 PM   #19
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

[quote]
Originally posted by: Mavs Rule
I found something else very interesting. The Big Five is only the third most used unit on the team. q]

I'm with ReDirk, but you do think that the King of odd ball would have no problem putting such an odd line up on the floor all the time...oh well!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:41 PM   #20
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

Isn't it a little strange that our most effective two lineups get a combined playing-time of about 6 and a half minutes, when the two best Laker-lineups get 19 1/2 and Sacs best lineup gets 18 1/2? Or is this math biting it's own rear? But I don't think so, since even the Lakers and the Kings don't use their best lineups to pad their stats.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 11:26 AM   #21
harsh euro barge

harsh euro barge will become famous soon enoughharsh euro barge will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman
Isn't it a little strange that our most effective two lineups get a combined playing-time of about 6 and a half minutes, when the two best Laker-lineups get 19 1/2 and Sacs best lineup gets 18 1/2? Or is this math biting it's own rear? But I don't think so, since even the Lakers and the Kings don't use their best lineups to pad their stats.
It's because the Lakers and Kings are playing guys who play their natural position, unlike the Mavs...
harsh euro barge is offline   Reply With Quote