Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute
Default KG to the Bulls? Looks like they aren't done yet.

Sources: Wallace to join Bulls - and Garnett might be next

Tuesday, July 4, 2006

By Paul Ladewski
Staff writer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bulls general manager John Paxson promised to think big in the free-agent market, which opened for business Saturday.
But if the master plan comes to fruition, this offseason has the potential to be bigger than big for a Bulls team that hasn't advanced to the second round of the playoffs in eight long years.

According to league sources, forward-center Ben Wallace, who previously played for the Detroit Pistons, and the Bulls agreed to a four-year, $60 million contract. The deal cannot be consummated until July 12, when the salary cap will be in place for next season.

"I appreciate everything that Detroit did for me," Wallace told the Detroit News. "They gave me an opportunity to make a name for myself, and we had an opportunity to win a championship together."

Paxson and Bulls head coach Scott Skiles met with Wallace on Saturday, the first day teams could contact free agents.

Paxson did not return a phone call Monday night.

According to published reports, the Pistons had a four-year, $51 million deal on the table. Wallace was said to be disappointed the offer was less than the five-year, $57 million contract that Pistons forward Rasheed Wallace signed last year.

Pistons operations chief Joe Dumars was reluctant to make Wallace a more generous offer because of his age (31) and the fact his rebound and blocked shot averages had declined in each of the last three seasons.

"It was all about the money," a source close to the negotiations said. "It had nothing to do with relationships with teammates or coaches or front office personnel."

As part of the deal, the Bulls are believed to have promised to continue their pursuit of Minnesota Timberwolves star forward Kevin Garnett, who could be the final piece to the championship puzzle.

Wallace had said he would leave the Pistons only if another contender exceeded their contract offer. The four-time Defensive Player of the Year can't be expected to turn the Bulls into a serious championship threat by himself. He averaged 11.3 rebounds, 7.3 points and 2.2 blocked shots in 82 games last season.

The Daily Southtown reported last week that the Bulls were among several teams that inquired about Garnett prior to the NBA draft. Timberwolves operations chief Kevin McHale made it known that Garnett was not available.

The Bulls believe they can revive the talks if they sweeten their offer of center Tyson Chandler and forward Luol Deng with recent first-round draft pick Tyrus Thomas, whom the Timberwolves are known to covet.

A nucleus of Garnett, Wallace and Andres Nocioni on the front line coupled with Ben Gordon and Kirk Hinrich in the backcourt would immediately turn the Bulls into a legitimate championship contender.

In the meantime, the Timberwolves would be able to build around a young front line of Chandler, Deng and Thomas, who was the second overall pick in the draft a week ago.

Otherwise, the Bulls would be left with a pair of non-scorers in Chandler and Wallace in the middle.

Another possibility is a trade with the Denver Nuggets, who re-signed center-forward Nene to a six-year, $60 million deal recently. The contract was similar to the extension that Chandler received last summer.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

WOW! That's actually a pretty good offer by the Bulls, and I can see Minny doing that. Wow, if KG goes to the Bulls, they've got to be the favorites in the East at least!

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Wow do people think Ben Wallace is more important than KG, or do you guys just not believe this. It seemed pretty interesting to me.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Yeah, I find it interesting, I don't see why people aren't posting. Probably cuz it's a rumor, and the Wallace signing is fact.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Well without checking the numbers I can say right now that Chandler, Thomas and Deng don't add up to KG's 20 million dollar contract. I believe he gets more than that now. That's without knowing the Bulls cap situation. With the Wallace signing I'd like to think they don't have anywhere from 10-15 mill left on their cap. But if Bulls can get it done then wow. They would've had one of the best offseasons for a team in a very long time. They will still have Gordon and Hinrich. That's a scary Bulls team even without KG.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:19 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

dang fine post Dtown.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

didn't they say in the Wallace article that Garnett wasn't leaving Minny?
Old 07-05-2006, 01:00 AM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I wish nothing but a career of L's for "da kid". His arrogence deserves Minny.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:53 AM   #9
fluid.forty.one

Well IMO last year hurt more for me as a Dallas fan than any other... so maybe he goes to Chicago and we beat them in the finals?

Sounds good to me!
Old 07-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #10
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin mchale cant make that trade guys. He would be fired aside from the fact that it doesnt work anyway. If the bulls want KG it would take Chandler, Hinrich, Thomas and the first founder they have next year plus whatever it takes to even out the salaries, probably othella harrington. Then you have the problem of the Twolves being over the roster limit. I dont see any way a kg trade happens with them just because they dont have enough guys who make enough money to match kgs salary without putting the wolves way over the roster limit.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #11
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Dead in the water. Chandler is going to NO/OKC Hornets.
big_pth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #12
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

KG is going nowhere. Minn is dead in the water if they trade him in his prime.

Do they need some pieces, yes. Are Superstars easy to get, NO.

Minn will not trade him till he is old, very old.

Too much marketing value.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #13
Knickfan

Knickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the roughKnickfan is a jewel in the rough

Minn is dead anyway with Garnett. I think Garnett is a good player but they've tried to build around him SEVERAL times and they've gotten as far as the Western Conference finals. He's not getting younger, he's as good as he's going to get so if I'm Minnesota, I start to go in another direction, they've rode Garnett as far as he can take them. Trade him now while you can get some REALLY, REALLY good young talent.
Knickfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #14
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

If that trade falls through, then Minnesota will have made one of the worst decisions in their franchise's history. Also, the Bulls will scare the crap out of me. They had a lot of great pieces last year and were missing a dominant center. Nocioni is a forward on the rise. But can you imagine a lineup of Hinrich, Gordon, Nocioni, Garnett and Wallace? Wow.

Last edited by mavsman55; 07-08-2006 at 03:03 PM.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #15
fluid.forty.one

Chandler is going to the hornets so this trade did fall through mavsman.