Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-06-2004, 11:12 PM   #1
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Carsmello

He is shooting under 30% coming into tonight and tonight he has gone 3-20.

Forget Big Dog Part II. Perhaps he is Antoine Walka part Duex.

(Someone needs to tell him to quit shooting.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:54 PM   #2
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all
Default RE: Carsmello

yeah this is insane. what a chump
Old 11-07-2004, 12:06 AM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Carsmello

That's clever the way you took Carmello's name and added an "s" in the middle to point out that he's shooting poorly after three games.

Also a testament to you understanding of the game to suggest that Denver's best scorer, and only player that can create offense for himself, stop shooting.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:04 PM   #4
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
That's clever the way you took Carmello's name and added an "s" in the middle to point out that he's shooting poorly after three games.

Also a testament to you understanding of the game to suggest that Denver's best scorer, and only player that can create offense for himself, stop shooting.
So if he goes 3-20 you'd want him to keep on shooting? Great.

I'd rather Andre Miller take 20 shots per game than Carmello. *Excuse me*- CarSmello.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:03 PM   #5
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Antoine Walker is Atlanta's #1 Option... would it make more sense for him to shoot lots more also?
Old 11-12-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000

So if he goes 3-20 you'd want him to keep on shooting? Great.

I'd rather Andre Miller take 20 shots per game than Carmello. *Excuse me*- CarSmello.
He's a scorer. When you're a scorer, you don't stop shooting. If he doesn't score, Denver doesn't win...it's that simple. Now, if he's just cold in one particular game then he should look for other ways to contribute. He could probably look to post up more, but to say he should stop shooting isn't smart.

This thread was started after the 3rd game of the season! There are a number of statistical anomalies in the game right now. it makes sense to let them work themselves out. If you think he sucks, you should be able to state a more compelling case around midway though the season. Three games doesn’t do it.

Edit to repost this from the other Carmello sucks thread (but this one is better because our more witty posters put an "S" in his name...that justifies the thread):

You guys do realize that from Feb. on, when Denver was fighting Utah and Portland for a playoff spot, Carmello averaged 25 ppg on 45% shooting.

-He led his team to a national championshp in high school
-He led his team to a national championship as a freshman in college
-He led his team to the playoffs as a rookie

You may not like him personally, but he's no loser.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:09 PM   #7
mavsman55
Platinum Member

We're not talking about season stats. He went 3-20 in this game, Bayliss said he needed to stop shooting and you called him stupid. It doesn't matter who he is or what he did in high school... if he goes 3-20 one night, stop giving him the ball for the game.

EDIT: I don't think bayliss meant that he should stop shooting for the season. We are just trying to imply that when somebody's cold they should give the ball to somebody else.

^When this doesn't happen, you end up with people like Allen Iverson getting 25 points in a game but shooting 5/30 from the field.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:16 AM   #8
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Actually, I didn't give him that nickname. Another of his is Crymelo.

As for Carmelo and Denver. They are going to reap his terrible shooting all year. It's sad that a 40% shooter that can't do anything else on either side of the ball is considered a "star."

(Btw, Rodney Ehite, Miller, and Boykins can create for themselves. So if he's shooting that badly at some point he needs to show some maturity and give others a chance. After all, they can't do any worse.)
Old 11-07-2004, 12:16 AM   #9
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

The Nuggets were supposed to be the best team in the league to watch? Right game wrong team. Utah is clearly the most exciting team to watch, and they jolly-stomped Denver tonight.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 12:50 AM   #10
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

i agree, the jazz are awesome.
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:44 AM   #11
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Everyone I work with argued with me until they were blue in the face that Carmelo would be better than LeBron. I just couldn't buy into Carmelo's game because all he was doing was shooting from the outside in college. I wasn't sure he had the lateral quickness to play defense or the tenacity to play in the paint or the consistency to become a great shooter. I thought he was a poor man's Glenn Rice and at best he'd be Glenn Robinson part two. I hear management wants him to play at the 2 and the coaching staff wants to keep him at SF for the year. Bzdelik's days may be numbered in Denver because this kid isn't the star that he was hyped to be.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:13 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

People...although I am not happy with him right now, remember that Carmello would be a sophomore this year in college. He's young. He has an incredibly high ceiling. You've set the bar too high for a kid who is developing.

Along those lines, that is why I appreciate Lebron so much. What he has done thus far is absolutely amazing.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:21 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

he'd be a Jr. doc.....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:02 PM   #14
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Doc may know something about his grades that we don't, Sike.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:14 PM   #15
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

or doc could just be a moron.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:16 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Sheesh.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

He hours out as a soph.....
Old 11-10-2004, 01:46 AM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

27.2% shooting, 10.0% from three, 66.7% from the stripe, 3.25to/2.8ast ratio.

I won't pass judgement but those numbers suck for a guy that shoots 20 times per game.

*sigh* I wish Dirk got 20 shots per game. Right now he is averaging 16.5 (53% shooting though.)
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 12:48 AM   #18
dirno2000
Diamond Member

If you're just talking about that night then yea, he probably should have been more selective with his shots. In general, for the Nuggets to live up to the hype, Carmello's going to have to score.

...and I never called anybody stupid, I just disagree with most of his basketball points.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:08 PM   #19
mavsman55
Platinum Member

There I agree with you Dirno.

Carmelo is a scorer by nature. And for the most part, I actually do like him. But sometimes this title of "scorer" gets to his head so to speak and he just fires up shots that have no business being taken. Iverson proved to me over the summer that he can take smart shots. But every once in a while he drags his team down by forcing up shots.

Carmelo is a very talented player, and should be his team's #1 option. But sometimes he just needs to slow down.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:39 PM   #20
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

knee jerk based on tonight's lovely shooting by glenn robinson or allen iverson junior(8-19 which isn't bad, thus far)

Denver trades: PF Nikoloz Tskitishvili (0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 8.0 minutes)
SF Carmelo Anthony (19.5 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.8 apg in 36.3 minutes)

Denver receives: SF Peja Stojakovic (17.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.7 apg in 38.2 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -2.3 ppg, -3.3 rpg, and -1.1 apg.

Sacramento trades: SF Peja Stojakovic (17.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.7 apg in 38.2 minutes)
Sacramento receives: PF Nikoloz Tskitishvili (0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 8.0 minutes)
SF Carmelo Anthony (19.5 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 2.8 apg in 36.3 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +2.3 ppg, +3.3 rpg, and +1.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Denver and Sacramento being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Denver and Sacramento had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:16 PM   #21
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

That trade idea is one that would never happen, but I'd take in a less than one second if I were a Kings' fan...Carmelo has yet to even scratch the surface of his talents...Peja's surface is well-marred at this point.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:04 AM   #22
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: 4cwebb
I were a Kings' fan...
I'm sorry to go off-topic, but aren't you a Kings fan? Maybe the name has thrown me off. I thought KG_Veteran was a Wolves fan at first but was sorely mistaken.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:16 PM   #23
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

That trade idea is one that would never happen, but I'd take in a less than one second if I were a Kings' fan...Carmelo has yet to even scratch the surface of his talents...Peja's surface is well-marred at this point.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:08 PM   #24
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Carmelo's a good player. I don't care for his game, and he's not close to LeBron in terms of overall talent, but he's a good player.

It seems to me, though, that the big mistake Denver made was trading for Kenyon Martin. Sure, it's early, and they've had quite a few injury problems, but he doesn't seem to fit at all.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:02 PM   #25
Bayliss

MavKiki:

From what I've seen and read this is my opinion on the whole Denver fiasco:

1) Bzdelik is a hard @ss. There is no two ways about that. And that would be fine if he has a track record. Pat Riley got by with it in NY and Miami because he had rings to back it up. Bzdelik doesn't have that. And he's young. And the rift is pretty apparent.

2) Carmelo is what is wrong with the NBA today. He's been "coddled" all of his life. He's been told he's the man. He's the man. And he started to believe his own hype. He looks to score, and does nothing else. And most of his points come from a jumper from 20 feet after a couple of jab step fakes. Kenny Smith has used the term "ball-stopper" and it is so true with him. He doesn't move without the basketball. I don't think I've seen him screen with anyone. And that is one play that could be quite effective for Denver. A screen and roll with him and Miller. Because both are so good at finding creases.

3) Kenyon Martin does not have a post up game, and dosn't really have a face up game. He can semi-hithe 15-18 footer. And he's got a turnround hook. That's about it.

4) Point guard is the biggest problem with the team. We as Mav fans talk about Dallas' lack of assists but Denver is perhaps worse. Andre Miller has become a shooting guard in a point guard's body. In Cleveland, he was good at distributing and setting others up. But now all he does is look to shoot the mid range jumper off of penetration. So everything Denver does comes from one on one. They do not have much ball movement.

5) Skita is a man that will be gone from the NBA in 2-3 years. 2 years ago, he looked like a promising player. But it seems like he has lost a lot of quickness and while shooting should be his strength, he can't hit water if he fell out of a boat. He rebounds a little better. But it's almost as if he can't get a decent shot off for himself. And to top it off, he will not get any playing time behind Carmelo, Kenyon, Nene, Camby, and Elson.

6) This team looks like the Mavs of last year. There is no continuity but a team built with talent that don't compliment each other. And when Nene comes back, their power forward, center rotation will look similar to the Mavs. And it is going to kill them. It will make Martin and Nene ineffective.

(Oh and Btw, the Nuggets, miss Jon Barry and Chris Andersen off of the bench. Both guys would bring the energy, and dirty work off the bench when the regulars struggle.)

Old 11-15-2004, 10:20 PM   #26
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Bayliss, to the extent your assessment is accurate, it sounds like Kiki himself could be toeing a line in a couple of years.

Almost every one of these problems is traceable to GM decisions. Wonder if Zen would help?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:28 PM   #27
Bayliss

Quote:
it sounds like Kiki himself could be toeing a line in a couple of years.
Hindsight is 20/20 so it will take awhile to see how things shake out... but:

For as much as Kiki got lpraised for his moves a year or two ago, it looks like it could comke crashing down this year. Kiki, needs to decide what to do with Nene and Skita. Nene, especially. He could become a real stud if he ever gets the consistent minutes. But he is a power forward and he needs to play that position. Signing Martin will kill Nene's development. And he isn't too happy. But can you blame him? I'd be pissed too if they replaced me with a power forward who is marginally better than me and force me to play out of position.

Oh and another big topic I missed was 3 point shooting. With Leonard out, they have no deep threat.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:38 PM   #28
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

A couple more things:

1) Can Anthony be effective as a 2? They have pieces they can move in the frontcourt, but not much they can do in the backcourt without going out and signing someone. Mavericks with four 2/3s and Nugs with none. It just isn't fair.

2) Nené looks to be about Damp's size, or that he could easily grow into that in a couple of years. In any case, he's already bigger than Camby. Given what passes for a Center today in the NBA, does Nene not at least project to a center? If he could get his minutes there, then there's less conflict for minutes in the frontcourt.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:18 AM   #29
4cwebb
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Quote:
it sounds like Kiki himself could be toeing a line in a couple of years.
For as much as Kiki got lpraised for his moves a year or two ago, it looks like it could comke crashing down this year. Kiki, needs to decide what to do with Nene and Skita. Nene, especially. He could become a real stud if he ever gets the consistent minutes. But he is a power forward and he needs to play that position. Signing Martin will kill Nene's development. And he isn't too happy. But can you blame him? I'd be pissed too if they replaced me with a power forward who is marginally better than me and force me to play out of position.
This is what confused me about the Martin signing all along...QRich would have been a much better fit at the two for the Nuggets...Nene, with time, will develop into a very good NBA PF. He has size, athleticism, and he's pretty tenacious. Sure, he could rebound the ball better, but it's not as if Martin was some sort of dominant rebounder...the guy didn't average over 10 per game until last year (and I'm not even certain about that).

So, as you put it, Nene isn't happy, and I don't find any fault in it either. Martin has pretty much maxed out his potential --- his game relies on athleticism and quickness b/c he is undersized, and he's one injury away from all of his positive attributes disappearing. His offense is terrible at best. Nene was probably a pretty fair match for Martin last season, and now he's on the pine b/c the Nuggets went with the "win immediately" strategy? His talent has just barely been tapped at this point. And, they didn't have the pieces for that type of maneuver. Let 'Melo and Nene develop this year with lots of time, and they could have tried to "win next year" or so. Or, get QRich and put a complete team on the floor instead of starting Lenard at SG.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:52 PM   #30
Bayliss

Carmelo just doesn't have the footspeed (IMO) to be a 2. Offensively, he would be fine because he is surprisingly quick that direction. But he just could never match up with the quick guards such as Kobe McGrady Carter Allen etc.

Nene might develop into a decent center. But he's a better thief than a shot blocker. And right now he's a "so-so" rebounder.

And defensively, would match up better against power forwards. And offensively with his lack of post game or outside game, he needs the advantage of being a "bull in a china shop."
Old 07-12-2006, 09:31 AM   #31
Drbio
Banned

So wait....someone who works for Carmello got stopped and had pot? That never happens to anyone else though.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #32
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Ballpark, what percentage of NBA players do you think smoke weed? Ballpark it.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #33

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

I'd say 10-15%. possibly more
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #34
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Member
I'd say 10-15%. possibly more
I would say 50-60%

I can name for you a few former Dallas Mavericks that came into my carwash during the offseason (89-2000) whose ashtray had a few roll-your-owns.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote