Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Seems that Harry Reid isn't only head of congress, he's head of Nevada as well.

Talk about heavy-handed. Good...cut power to Las Vegas. Idiot.
http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/...ves/010643.php

Quote:
Harry Reid has threatened to use his position in Congress to block the construction of four coal-fired electrical plants in Nevada. In a letter to three separate firms, Reid told them in no uncertain terms that his state doesn't need any of their dirty electricity -- in places like Las Vegas:

Quote:
U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada sent a letter this week to four companies telling them not to build planned coal-burning power plants in his state.

Reid's letter, dated Monday, was addressed to the corporate leaders of the Sierra Pacific Resources, private equity LS Power Group, Dynegy Inc. and Sithe Global Power LLC. A copy of the letter was obtained by Reuters on Thursday.

"I am writing to each of you regarding your company's proposal to build new coal-fired power plants in eastern Nevada and to express my strong opposition to those plants," Reid wrote.

The Democratic senator said he will use his influential post in Congress to keep coal plants out of Nevada.

"Because I believe that developing renewable energy in Nevada is far preferable to coal for the sake of our economy, public health and the environment, I will use every means at my disposal to prevent the construction of new coal-fired power plants in Nevada that do not capture and permanently store greenhouse gas emissions," Reid wrote.
More than most states, electricity is critical to Nevada's growth. The state has almost unbearably hot weather in its south most of the year, and any expansion relies on the modern marvel of air conditioning. Gaming, its biggest draw, relies even more heavily on reliable power generation.

Nevada's population increased 150% between 1980 and 2000, and it has not let up since. It has been the fastest-growing state most of the last 25 years. That kind of growth requires infrastructure, including electricity. So what does Harry have in mind for his home state? He says the state's needs can be met through "new renewable energy, energy efficiency and demand-side management."

That would be wonderful -- but shouldn't that be a decision for Nevada's state government? Why would Reid stick his nose where it doesn't belong? Well, the people who represent the coal-plant owners might give you an idea. Bracewell & Giuliani LLC handle the PR for Sithe Global Power ... and yes, that means Rudy Giuliani, the front-runner for the GOP presidential nomination.

Could this be another kind of power play altogether?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote