Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-17-2005, 01:03 AM   #1
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road
Default Dallas @ Phoenix Gameday Thread

If someone told me that the Mavs could go 3-1 on this difficult West Coast trip prior to the All Star break...I would have been ecstatic. Well...at the very least...we can do just that. Do I think Dallas has a chance against Phoenix tonight? Absolutely. Does that mean a victory in the win column? I'm not sure. When you have 3 key guys in Dampier, Stackhouse, and Daniels potentially not playing against one of the best teams in basketball, on the road, last game before the All Star break...that is not a recipe for a win. I love the Mavs. They have a ton of heart. But that's a lot of adversity to overcome. I wish we could play an elite team like Phoenix or San Antonio at full strength. Back to the game...how do we beat Phoenix? Well obviously the "Big Two" Nowitzki and Finley have to step up. But the key thing to me...is containing former Maverick Steve Nash. When Nash was in Dallas...lanky, tall defenders like Pippen and Bryant gave him fits. So what I think Nellie needs to do is to tell his All NBA defender... Josh Howard... to try to slow him down...try to rattle him a bit. I also think Devin Harris needs to assert himself. When we played the Suns the 1st time in Big D...yes...Nash had a good game...but he also had 10 turnovers. Harris had 5 steals. I believe it's imperative that we make Nash work on the defensive end. It's kind of embarassing when former Maverick Howard Eisley schools Nash for 20 points and 11 assists in the last game. It's also amazing how the anemic Jazz score 128 points against the Suns without Kirilenko and Boozer not playing the majority of the game. With all that said...I don't have a good feeling about this game. It's tough when you possibly don't have 3 guys that are a part of your 8 man rotation not playing. Hopefully Dallas can surprise me. If the Mavs can get off to a good start in tonight's ballgame...I think Dallas can come out of America West Arena with a win. Go Mavs!

91-83 Mavs
akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2005, 01:39 AM   #2
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Dallas @ Phoenix Gameday Thread

In quadruple OT, Mavs win 215-214

Win or lose in Phx, this has been a very nice road trip.

mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:46 AM   #3
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dallas @ Phoenix Gameday Thread

Mavs win by......... you guessed it, a Terry 3 pointer with 3 seconds remaining in the game to give us a 1 point lead. PHX doesn't get the last shot off due to great defense.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:23 AM   #4
Waschdel

Waschdel is on a distinguished road

With Damp and Stack sitting it´ll be interesting what rabbit will be pulled out of Nellie´s hat. I hope that Dirk will find an answer for Marion´s defense. Mavs are tired and wounded but after those three wins they´re surely hungry for more.
Mavs win 114 - 112
Old 02-17-2005, 02:48 AM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

...and though I tipoff in the valley of the sun, I fear no evil. Thy dunk and thy rebound they comfort me...

Please, Lord shield the tribe of dallas as they enter the Suns furnace. Guide thou servants Dirktholomew and Joshua to victory over the men of orange and purple.

And God, smite Steve Cash like you've never smote before. He hath coveted thy neighbors cassh and bears false witness to the MVP award. Cast him out into the desert for 40 years.

Mavs 102
Suns 101

Amen
Old 02-17-2005, 03:32 AM   #6
Don_Didi

Don_Didi is on a distinguished road

You go, capitalcity. The only thing I have to add is this: if we win this game, we deserve respect. a ton of RE-SPECT. Go Mavs!
Don_Didi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:45 AM   #7
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

112-93 Suns. No chance w/o Stack/Damp! I hope we can take the W, but I don't really believe we can [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:55 AM   #8
Steve13

Steve13 will become famous soon enoughSteve13 will become famous soon enough

suns by 9

nash likely will get 15 assists

amare 30+
Old 02-17-2005, 06:57 AM   #9
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I just hope Nash struggles. Out of all ex Mavs, he is the hardest to root for. The other night against Najera I was rooting for him at times but everytime I see Nash on TV I can't find the ability to root for him inside of me. I got way too much pleasure out of Howard Eisley lighting him up the other night.

With that said, I hope Jet and DH tear apart Nash because we should win if they can hold him down and work him on defense.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:15 AM   #10
Don_Didi

Don_Didi is on a distinguished road

Uh, I find it way more difficult to root for someone like Fortson or Walker than for Nash. Nash is just doing a great job in phoenix, period. I may not like the fact that he left for the money, but such is life, I'm afraid. Frankly, if he won the MVP award, I would actually feel half-proud. After all, Dala sis where Steve Nash blossomed.
Don_Didi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:28 AM   #11
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I just want to see a hard fought game. This one is on TV for me! Did anyone else notice the Mavs are only one game back of the glorified Sonics now? They've been called 'contenders' so much, but the Mavs are right there too!
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:53 AM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

My prediction: After tonight, knee-jerking will be "en vogue" again on DM.com.

So cover your eyes, and prepare for Turkey, CD sightings.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:20 AM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why anybody is conceding this game. The Mavs WILL have a chance to win this game, because the Suns don't defend.

Utah lost Kirilenko AND Boozer early on the other night and still nearly beat the Suns in Phoenix.

The Suns are simply going to try and outgun the Mavs. If the Mavs can offense from Terry and Harris in addition to Dirk and Mike and if they can put together a couple of good defensive stretches, I think they can win the game.

On defense, the key is containing Stoudemire. I really think our PGs can harass Nash enough to neutralize him somewhat, and Mike/Josh/Dirk should be able to hang with Richardson/Johnson/Marion. I would start the game with Booth in Dampier's place in the starting lineup. Let him guard Stoudemire and leave him in until he picks up two fouls. Then, we bring in the Stoudemire-killer -- Shawn Bradley. Let Shawn play until he gets tired or until Stoudemire goes to the bench. As soon as Stoudemire goes to the bench, bring in Henderson. When Stoudemire comes back in, repeat the above.

I've upgraded my forecast for this game. The Mavs will win tonight. Mark that down.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:20 AM   #14
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

If GS could go out to Seattle and win on the 2nd night of a back2back, there's hope for Dallas. But seriously, apart from some such miracle, I can't see how we could win tonight without Damp, Stack & Quis.

Suns by 6.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:34 AM   #15
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

This is same team that loss against Utah with Nash and without Kirilenko. This is the same team that loss against Memphis with Nash and without Gasol and Posey.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:41 AM   #16
bo319

bo319 is on a distinguished road

There is much more than just hope. Last time Damp played 5 min and Terry only played 7 min plus there was no Fin or DA. That is the good part...now for the bad...Stack played 35 min and was the leading scorer and Quis played 41 min and was the 2nd leading RBer... and we lost by 6 with Dirk having a pretty bad shooting night...but they now have Jimmy J off the bench.
We can now run Terry and DA at Nash plus the rook who helped force him into 10 TOs...play hard and let the balls fall where they may. Don't give Amare alot of dunks and we have a great chance.
bo319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:04 AM   #17
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

I pray we just keep it close. we loose this one for sure.

Mavs 108
Suns 121
Old 02-17-2005, 11:09 AM   #18
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Honestly,this could be a debacle,and this could be one hell of a win,we're capable of both...
Like u all mentioned,Dirk will perform,thats a given.I also believe our offense is clicking great this road trip,i dont really see the Suns excellent defense [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] stopping what Sacramento could not.
So its mostly as to how we manage Steve,cause once you hold Steve by the pair,Amare is medicore at best. if you kill the head...
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:11 AM   #19
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Nash and the rest of the Phoenix Suns can suck it (if i could be so bold as to borrow Drbio's mantra)

Mavs by double-digits.

And while I'm at it, those who are still rooting for some other team's point guard can suck it as well.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #20
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

I am so ready and pumped for this one. Our chances of winning are greatly compromised with the absense of Dampier and Stackhouse... but I'll stay optimist and say the Mavs pull this one out with great defense.

Mavs by 5... and win or lose, I'm very proud of how this team is doing.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:36 AM   #21
Azn_Baller101

Azn_Baller101 is on a distinguished road

guys can someone confirm this...

i went to espn.com and in the game preview damp wasn't on the injured/questionable list. does this mean he's playin? if he is, he just raised our chances of winning by a lot.
Azn_Baller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:41 AM   #22
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

I doubt they know anything,i dont think Nellie knows if he's playing him yet... Damp is a game time decision.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:53 AM   #23
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
Nash and the rest of the Phoenix Suns can suck it (if i could be so bold as to borrow Drbio's mantra)

Mavs by double-digits.

And while I'm at it, those who are still rooting for some other team's point guard can suck it as well.
mary, you wake on the wrong side of the bed? Why're you so mad with the suns? We can't help it they're better than us, atleast we can't do anything about the past. We have to find a way to beat them, simple as that. And nash is a better point guard than anyone we have on our team, and his stats prove it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for tonight.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:55 AM   #24
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

This is a "free-swing" game. ( I hate this statement !).
I think Mavs win, BIG !
Mavs 121
Suns 108
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:59 AM   #25
Azn_Baller101

Azn_Baller101 is on a distinguished road

this is going to be (if damp somehow plays and stack can play the same minutes and produce the same results in sacto) a replay of the dallas @ sacto game a few days back. it's all gonna boil down to the 4th.

123-121 mavs... i hope
Azn_Baller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #26
DwD

DwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the rough

Mary, I am with you on this. I hope we come out pumped up and prove once and for all we are better.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:03 PM   #27
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

if Dampier doesn't play, we'll see some true Nellie line-ups.

I expect to see this combo on the floor alot:

Terry
Harris
Finley
Howard
Dirk

call me crazy, but I think Josh can give Amare some trouble. Finley gave Brad Miller fits, as unbeliveable as that may seem...Harris will probably defend Nash most of the time, since he did make him his woman a few months ago. I doubt we'll see a repeat performance, but oh well.

I hate to predict it, but Phoenix in a tight one...111-107.

by the way...is Erick Dampier related to Lou Dampier?
Old 02-17-2005, 12:23 PM   #28
sbjensen

sbjensen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing

by the way...is Erick Dampier related to Lou Dampier?
LOL. I doubt many here recall who Louie Dampier is, but I do ... when I was growing up in Louisville, KY, he was the star guard for the Kentucky Colonels of the original ABA. I don't think there's any relation ... they pronounce the last name differently.

As for tonight, KG gives me much-needed hope.

But I still think that we will not be able to stop Nash -- which means the juggernaut will be unleashed. Even so, we still have a chance if our shots are falling. Nonetheless, I say Phoenix 114 Mavs 102.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:50 PM   #29
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Marion did a more than admirable job on containg Dirk last time. I think they'll need to set alot of picks to try and create some space for him, instead of just leaving him isolated. Damp can set a mean pick - so that's another area where they will miss him.

I don't know that the Mavs have the energy or the depth right now to use alot of full-court pressure or trap defense, but they need to do what they can to force ANYONE BUT NASH to initiate the offense. I expect Nellie to use our full rotation of PG's tonight to see which one does the best job of giving Floppy a hard time - much like he did with Claxton the other night. I expect DA and Nash to have their own personal contest to see who can flop the most. Unfortunately for us, Nash will get those calls and DA will not.

I don't really think we can keep Amare from dominating us on the inside - that's just something they'll have to deal with - you've got 18 fouls in Bradley, Booth and Henderson. Use them and use them hard. Amare's FT perfomance can be very Shaq-esque.

Screw them.

Mavs by double-digits.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 02-17-2005, 12:55 PM   #30
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
mary, you wake on the wrong side of the bed? Why're you so mad with the suns? We can't help it they're better than us, atleast we can't do anything about the past. We have to find a way to beat them, simple as that. And nash is a better point guard than anyone we have on our team, and his stats prove it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for tonight.
Its Game Day buddy. At least I chose a SIDE of the bed to get out of.

Edited to add: Mavs by double-digits

Old 02-17-2005, 01:02 PM   #31
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

102-99 Mavs

Expect to see alot of Terry and Harris at the 2 guard tonight. I think that is our only chance of winning this game. Fin is going to have to continue to be aggressive and we are definately going to need a double double out of Dirk and Josh or Finley if we are gonna be competitive. Harris is gonna have to continue to bring his defense to the table. You take out Nash you take out the whole squad.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:06 PM   #32
Steve13

That kind of comment is not acceptable.

kg
Old 02-17-2005, 01:12 PM   #33
DwD

DwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the roughDwD is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
EDIT
Steve, I find that comment extremely sexist!
Old 02-17-2005, 01:15 PM   #34
Steve13

It was a joke, lighten up.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:29 PM   #35
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road

So lets say Nash goes off tonight and they blow us out by 20, how does that effect Dirk and Nash's relationship at the allstar game? Do you think they will make up by then?

I remember Dirk not accepting Nash's phone calls after the first time these two teams met. I love the fact that Dirk hates to lose and its fun watching Dirk and Nash go against each other.

I hope it's payback time for Dirk and his crew. I hope Dirk gets everyone pumped up for this game and they all come to play.

Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 01:48 PM   #36
mary
Troll Hunter

The crew reported during the Seattle game that Holger is currently visiting Dirk. That is ALWAYS good news for the Mavs.

Another observation: The Suns have the worse Offensive Rebounding differential in the leauge. Obviously a big part of that is due to their high FG%, but they also will give teams a ton of second chance opportunities. They've been outrebounded in the last three games and recently allowed Golden State 31 offensive boards. I didn't watch the game, but I suspect that was the sole reason GSW was even in it. I hope Howard stays out of foul trouble tonight and has a feast on put-backs and tip-ins.

Mavs by double-digits.

Old 02-17-2005, 02:33 PM   #37
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

wave upon wave of Terry and Harris full-court pressure on Nash is all I really want to see.....or let Howard just take him the entire game.

just make him cry.

Mavs 108
Suns 103

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:34 PM   #38
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

Im not bitching, and hey it happens, but the 2 most injury depleted games of the year for the Mavs by far are goin to be against the Suns.

What drives me crazy is the 2 games are about 3 months apart!!!

oh well.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:46 PM   #39
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Razor
So lets say Nash goes off tonight and they blow us out by 20, how does that effect Dirk and Nash's relationship at the allstar game? Do you think they will make up by then?

I remember Dirk not accepting Nash's phone calls after the first time these two teams met. I love the fact that Dirk hates to lose and its fun watching Dirk and Nash go against each other.

I hope it's payback time for Dirk and his crew. I hope Dirk gets everyone pumped up for this game and they all come to play.
I read in one of the Seattle papers that Nash hosted some of his old Mavs teammates last night. So...I don't imagine Dirk would be taking it that far.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:26 PM   #40
funkadelik

funkadelik is on a distinguished road

anyone esle really pumped about this game?
so many underlying stories to this
Nash facing his old team
The new look Mavs vs. the Old look Mavs(with better inside play)
Will Stack/Damp play?
Will the "analysists" give Mavs props for thier yr(never had complete lineup for more that 10 games)?
Dirk vs Amare
Amare vs JHO
old pg vs the up-and-coming