Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-20-2001, 11:59 PM   #81
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I need the opposite kind of web site than Skinny Guy.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:02 AM   #82
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think the point of the Skinny Guy site is to show that it's possible to completely change your physique if you just made some changes to your lifestyle. The guy went from being a runt to becoming one ripped mofo!
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 11:48 AM   #83
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

For Flying Tiger:

Q: You say that in order to burn fat, I should eat six times a day. How does the number of times I eat per day affect my ability to lose fat?

A: The experts I've talked with about this subject seem to agree that to lose fat and maintain muscle, you have to eat! Relatively small, frequent feedings aren't just a recommendation. They're a must.

By consuming six meals per day, you create a metabolic environment custom tailored to fat loss and muscle growth. Eating a portion of carbohydrates and protein every three hours helps reduce cravings and feelings of deprivation, support your metabolic rate and keep blood-sugar levels stable, which leads to more consistent energy levels and fewer cravings. And the steady flow of amino acids and glucose helps feed muscle tissue as well as "blunt" the body's typical "starvation response" (depressed metabolism) when on a lower calorie nutrition regimen.

The timing and quality of foods ingested, especially before and after a workout, can often be the difference between successful fat loss and another failed attempt. Skipping breakfast, neglecting post-workout meals and consuming high-glycemic carbohydrates (which raise blood-sugar levels) before workouts spells fat-loss failure.

Another reason eating helps you lose fat is because of the "thermodynamic" response to food. What that means is when you eat, your body expends calories to digest the food. Digestion itself requires calories, so the more often the body must break down food, the more efficient it becomes.

Source: Muscle Media Magazine, June 2001
Old 06-21-2001, 08:25 PM   #84
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Thanks dj. I don't do any of the right stuff...I never eat breakfast or eat after workouts.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:41 AM   #85
djb
Administrator

I know it's hard to manage 5-6 meals a day, especially when you're still in highschool. I know some guys who bring tuna/chicken sandwiches to school and actually eat them in class! Anyway, if I could recommend one thing, it would be for you to consume one protein-rich meal after your workout. That's the optimum time for protein synthesis since your glycogen storages are depleted. I usually drink a shake (60g protein) 30mins following my workout. You'll really start to build more muscle that way.
Old 06-23-2001, 12:01 AM   #86
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Can you get that stuff at a GNC or something?
Old 06-23-2001, 02:37 AM   #87
djb
Administrator

Are you talking about the supplements? If so, yes..BUT I would never encourage anyone to waste their money on the overpriced supps at GNC! If you want the cheapest prices anywhere, order online at DPS Nutrition. If you'd rather buy stuff locally, check out that Fresh Start store I mentioned in an earlier post.

Oh and if you are going to buy some protein, there are a ton of different brands and varieties out there. Some taste like crap, while others are actually pretty good. Of course this is usually subjective and varies from person to person. My personal favorite is EAS Myoplex Deluxe. Strawberry cream is my fave flavor, and I usually blend it (you HAVE to blend it because it's so damn thick it's impossible to stir or shake in a shaker bottle) with fresh fruits and ice for a delicious smoothie. It tastes pretty damn good and it fills you up! Myoplex is relatively expensive though, so when I just want to chug something down (rather than enjoy it as a full meal), I mix up a serving of Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey (chocolate flavor). If you're on a budget, as I'm sure you are, then I'd suggest buying a 5lb bucket of Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey. It's only $25 online, and it'll last you a while. Each serving only has 22g protein, so I usually double-scoop it and mix it with 12-16oz skim milk. That way I'm getting up to 60g protein out of that shake. I've tried the chocolate, vanilla, and double-chocolate flavors and can safely say it's "not bad" just so long as you mix it real well. It's not something I like to sip on and savor like the Myoplex, but I can chug it down rather quickly after a workout without gagging!
Old 06-23-2001, 02:40 AM   #88
djb
Administrator

Oh and in case you didn't know this, a good general rule of thumb is that you should consume 1g of protein per body pound (your weight) if you plan on increasing muscle mass. So if you weigh 150lbs (like me), you should consume around 150g protein a day. Personally, I consume 180-220+ grams per day.
Old 06-24-2001, 12:41 AM   #89
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

I looked some stuff up...and every place said that to burn fat and build muscle you have to have a consistent diet of 5-6 meals a day, like you said.

This site has some pretty good information.