Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 08-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #1
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default Bush: Sales tax in, income tax out?

Bush: Sales tax in, income tax out?

NICEVILLE, Fla. (Reuters) - President Bush said Tuesday that abolishing the U.S. income tax system and replacing it with a national sales tax was an idea worth considering.

"It's an interesting idea," Bush told an "Ask President Bush" campaign forum here. "You know, I'm not exactly sure how big the national sales tax is going to have to be, but it's the kind of interesting idea that we ought to explore seriously."

Republican economists who speak regularly to the White House have said that the Bush campaign has been mulling the idea of an overhaul of the tax code as part of an agenda for a second term should Bush win reelection.

Some lawmakers have floated ideas of simplifying the tax code by putting in place a "flat" income tax rate or a national sales tax. But those ideas have so far not gained much traction in Congress.

Opponents say such a system would not be in the best interests of the poor and the middle class who would pay the same tax rate as the wealthy even though they have less disposable income.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Bush: Sales tax in, income tax out?

Sales Tax is the best. Also to help the poor they can file for a Sales Tax refund at the end of the year.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:14 PM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Fish, no one benefits more for government programs than the poor. No one pays less for those programs than the poor. Everyone who benefits should have to pay. We do the poor no favors by constantly preaching entitlement.

Personally I'd prefer a flat income tax. Still a sales tax would work fine. Exempt food and drugs from the sales tax and let everyone pay. The rich will pay one way or another. Most of their money is in stocks, and the companies in whom they own stock will be paying a butt load of sales tax.

I'm tired of the idea that society owes certain people a free ride because they weren't born rich. If the poor don't want to be poor, then get an education and better yourself instead of camping out to be 1st in the government handout line. While their are some who are disabled and have problems learning and even working, that doesn't fit the vast majority of the poor. Hell I'm all for spending extra money for education and training for them so long as they bust their assess doing it. But bottom line those who can learn and work, need to bust their asses doing that instead of whining about how damn poor they are and expecting all kinds of entitlements.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:53 PM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I'll say it again: Worst. Idea. Ever.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 08:58 PM   #5
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

If the poor don't want to be poor, then get an education and better yourself instead of camping out to be 1st in the government handout line.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See the only way to do well in school is if the parent take interest in the childs studies, no amount of slogans like "leave no child behind", or spending large amounts of money to build new schools or getting the classroom wired is going to help the children who are struggling. I my house the number one priority is that me and my wife encourage the kids to go their homework daily even on their vacation.

I have no solution on how the poor can take interest in their childs studies, but unless they do they cannot break out of the poverty cycle.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote