Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 02-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #321
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL View Post
How can you support someone who is against the Civil Rights Act and panders to racist groups?
Because if you listen to him talk, you'll realize he's the only one out of the white guys on the stage who ISN'T racist. He stated his support for the repeal of the Jim Crow laws (government forcing segregation) but also objected to the laws that required private property and business owners to behave in one way or another (government forcing desegregation, essentially). (source)

Quote:
Paul said he objected to the Civil Rights Act because of its infringement on private property rights. He said that while he would favor repealing Jim Crow laws, the United States "would be better off" without government intruding on and policing personal lives.
In other words, a truly color-blind government wouldn't force anybody to do ANYTHING one way or the other. Forced segregation is just as racist in nature as Affirmative Action. One may seem racist and the other standing up for minorities' rights, but in reality, the basis of BOTH is that we are forcing people, businesses, and government entities to treat people one way or another on the basis of their race or ethnicity. Why, then, is one okay while the other is not? Dr. Paul demonstrates his ideological consistency in pointing out that both are unconstitutional intrusions of government on the rights of private citizens.

One of the consequences of liberty is that you have to coexist with people who don't share your views. At one point in time, people in this country fought and died to preserve the right to think differently (or even incorrectly). Your right to think and behave in a way that pleases you doesn't end when your opinions are, in the opinion of the majority, wrong.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #322
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iella View Post
Because if you listen to him talk, you'll realize he's the only one out of the white guys on the stage who ISN'T racist. He stated his support for the repeal of the Jim Crow laws (government forcing segregation) but also objected to the laws that required private property and business owners to behave in one way or another (government forcing desegregation, essentially). (source)

In other words, a truly color-blind government wouldn't force anybody to do ANYTHING one way or the other. Forced segregation is just as racist in nature as Affirmative Action. One may seem racist and the other standing up for minorities' rights, but in reality, the basis of BOTH is that we are forcing people, businesses, and government entities to treat people one way or another on the basis of their race or ethnicity. Why, then, is one okay while the other is not? Dr. Paul demonstrates his ideological consistency in pointing out that both are unconstitutional intrusions of government on the rights of private citizens.

One of the consequences of liberty is that you have to coexist with people who don't share your views. At one point in time, people in this country fought and died to preserve the right to think differently (or even incorrectly). Your right to think and behave in a way that pleases you doesn't end when your opinions are, in the opinion of the majority, wrong.
Never said he was racist, but he does pander to racists (see newsletters and refusal to reject the support of white supremacist groups). Furthermore, point is the policies he supports - extreme state's rights conservatism (not libertarianism) - logical conclusion would be the oppression of millions of Americans. While he is against the Jim Crow laws PERSONALLY, he would do nothing as President to bring an end to said oppression (as evidenced by his opposition to the Civil Rights Act). That is how screwed up his policies are and why his political positions are not based in reality.

Last edited by SeanL; 02-24-2012 at 06:52 PM.
SeanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #323
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Never said he was racist, but he does pander to racists (see newsletters and refusal to reject the support of white supremacist groups). Furthermore, point is the policies he supports - extreme state's rights conservatism (not libertarianism) - logical conclusion would be the oppression of millions of Americans. While he is against the Jim Crow laws PERSONALLY, he would do nothing as President to bring an end to said oppression (as evidenced by his opposition to the Civil Rights Act). That is how screwed up his policies are and why his political positions are not based in reality.
Firstly, Ron Paul would have abolished the Jim Crow laws. Period.

Again, he would have voted against the Civil Rights Act as a whole, which included the repeal of freedom of association. That does not mean, he wouldn't have fought for repeal of the Jim Crow laws.

Secondly, more black people are locked up in prison today, than were slaves before the cival war. A huge part of that goes back to the war on drugs, which es will abolish, as well.

Thirdly, calling Ron Paul anything else than a Libertarian is just plain stupid.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #324
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
Firstly, Ron Paul would have abolished the Jim Crow laws. Period.

Again, he would have voted against the Civil Rights Act as a whole, which included the repeal of freedom of association. That does not mean, he wouldn't have fought for repeal of the Jim Crow laws.

Secondly, more black people are locked up in prison today, than were slaves before the cival war. A huge part of that goes back to the war on drugs, which es will abolish, as well.

Thirdly, calling Ron Paul anything else than a Libertarian is just plain stupid.
I have never seen anywhere where Ron Paul said the federal government should have gotten involved with the Civil Rights movement, as in overriding the racist laws of the southern states. Frankly it seems you just made that up, but maybe you can prove otherwise.

Secondly, no, Paul is not a libertarian. He is an extreme states' rights conservative. For example, Paul is against the Texas v. Lawrence decision, which struck down Texas sodomy laws. A libertarian would support that decision since it protects an individual's right to have sex with another consenting adult. But Paul is not a libertarian, he is a states' rights conservative. He is against that decision because he believes it interferes with states' rights. Maybe you need to do a little more research on what this person you spend so much time defending actually believes.

Fact of the matter is he does pander to racists. Maybe he doesn't believe in white supremacy, but he does pander to the white supremacists.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/26/us...agewanted=3&hp

And of course he there were all those racist comments in his news letters.

Last edited by SeanL; 02-25-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #325
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have never seen anywhere where Ron Paul said the federal government should have gotten involved with the Civil Rights movement, as in overriding the racist laws of the southern states. Frankly it seems you just made that up, but maybe you can prove otherwise.
Um, maybe you missed this above: "Paul said he objected to the Civil Rights Act because of its infringement on private property rights. He said that while he would favor repealing Jim Crow laws, the United States "would be better off" without government intruding on and policing personal lives."
Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #326
iella
Golden Member

The ideological principle is: The government exists to PROTECT rights. This includes rights to associate and do business with whomever you please, for whatever reason you choose. It does NOT include the government (federal or state) FORCING you to not do business with someone whom you want to do business (for ANY reason).

I find nothing extreme about this.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #327
SeanL

Quote:
Um, maybe you missed this above: "Paul said he objected to the Civil Rights Act because of its infringement on private property rights. He said that while he would favor repealing Jim Crow laws, the United States "would be better off" without government intruding on and policing personal lives."
You are not getting it. He is also against sodomy laws. But he was against the Lawrence v. Texas decision. He wants to get rid of these laws on the state level, but not on the federal level.

Moreover, it is bizarre that he prioritizes property rights over the civil rights of black people. You can say he is not racist. Fine. But the civil rights of black people are clearly not a high priority of his, at least not higher than the right of businesses to discriminate against black people.

Last edited by SeanL; 02-27-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #328
SeanL

Quote:
The ideological principle is: The government exists to PROTECT rights. This includes rights to associate and do business with whomever you please, for whatever reason you choose. It does NOT include the government (federal or state) FORCING you to not do business with someone whom you want to do business (for ANY reason).

The whole reason behind the CRA is because even if you repeal Jim Crow laws you could still have de facto segregation. If the entire community of white people in a state or locality decides limits what black people do, where they can go, and where they can eat then there is a de facto Jim Crow.

Furthermore, The fact that you find nothing extreme about supporting the right of businesses to treat black people like crap is telling.

Does it not also disturb you that Paul won't disavow the support of white supremacists? I notice that you are avoiding that topic.

Last edited by SeanL; 02-27-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #329
iella
Golden Member

Quote:
You are not getting it. He is also against sodomy laws. But he was against the Lawrence v. Texas decision. He wants to get rid of these laws on the state level, but not on the federal level.

Moreover, it is bizarre that he prioritizes property rights over the civil rights of black people. You can say he is not racist. Fine. But the civil rights of black people are clearly not a high priority of his, at least not higher than the right of businesses to discriminate against black people.
I'm not familiar with the case that you mention. I do think the federal government should step in and strike down state laws that restrict freedom - so yes, I think Dr. Paul is wrong in his opposition to the Supreme Court's decision in this case (again, just based on your statements, not my own familiarity with the case). Regardless, Dr. Paul HAS clearly stated his opposition to the Jim Crow laws and would have supported their repeal (though not supported the Civil Rights Act as a whole).

On the flip side, Dr. Paul is very much in favor of states' rights to legalize and tax marijuana. If a state does not restrict its citizens' freedom, why should the federal government be allowed to step in and restrict liberty? Part of Dr. Paul's appeal is that no other major candidate has even come close to paying lip service to this position.

I object to your statement that "he prioritizes property rights over the civil rights of black people." Specifically, why should he care about the civil rights "of black people"? What about the civil rights of Latino people? What about the civil rights of women? The point is, discussing the rights or non-rights of specific groups is inherently discriminatory. We don't have rights because we belong to particularly minority groups, and the protection of our rights isn't dependent on being a particular ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion. etc. EVERYONE has the same rights. No one person's rights take precedence over another, and the government's responsibility is to allow people the freedom to behave and associate in the way that they see fit.

Again, this means that you are going to run into a lot of backward idiots. It means that if a restaurant chooses to not serve people of a particular skin color, they have that right. You also have every right to not patronize that restaurant, start a campaign against it, raise awareness, and challenge other people to not give that restaurant their business. However, this is VERY different than the government stepping in and saying, "You MUST serve any customer that wishes to eat at your establishment, and we will penalize you if you do not." One scenario is MORE free - the other scenario is less free.

Quote:
The whole reason behind the CRA is because even if you repeal Jim Crow laws you could still have de facto segregation. If the entire community of white people in a state or locality decides limits what black people do, where they can go, and where they can eat then there is a de facto Jim Crow.

Furthermore, The fact that you find nothing extreme about supporting the right of businesses to treat black people like crap is telling.

Does it not also disturb you that Paul won't disavow the support of white supremacists? I notice that you are avoiding that topic.
"The fact that you find nothing extreme about supporting the right of businesses to treat black people like crap is telling." This is a straight up straw man attack. I consider the treatment of people based on their skin color (or religion, or sexual orientation, or...) to be extremely racist, hateful, outrageously offensive, and backward. However, I don't think you can legislate color-blindness. I don't think Civil Rights Act really made those business owners any more tolerant. If anything, it just created bitterness, resentment, and more hatred.

It doesn't disturb me that Dr. Paul doesn't disavow the support of white supremacists. Freedom is popular, and again, protecting ALL rights means that you are also protecting the rights of people to feel, think, and in some cases, act in ways that society has deemed offensive. Dr. Paul recognizes that even the people with whom he disagrees find his message of liberty to be attractive, and he chooses not to alienate them. His campaign is fighting for their rights (though not for their beliefs), so why should he disavow them?

You know what DOES disturb me? How other political candidates don't disavow the support of bankers, CEOs, and corporations that have profited tremendously from figuratively raping and pillaging the public. Other candidates basically get into bed with people who are interested only in their own gain. These politicians speak at their events, schmooze with their lobbyists, and go through great efforts to pass favorable legislation. Is this not more disturbing than acknowledging that there are some crazy people who like freedom?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #330
SeanL

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the case that you mention. I do think the federal government should step in and strike down state laws that restrict freedom - so yes, I think Dr. Paul is wrong in his opposition to the Supreme Court's decision in this case (again, just based on your statements, not my own familiarity with the case). Regardless, Dr. Paul HAS clearly stated his opposition to the Jim Crow laws and would have supported their repeal (though not supported the Civil Rights Act as a whole).

On the flip side, Dr. Paul is very much in favor of states' rights to legalize and tax marijuana. If a state does not restrict its citizens' freedom, why should the federal government be allowed to step in and restrict liberty? Part of Dr. Paul's appeal is that no other major candidate has even come close to paying lip service to this position.

I object to your statement that "he prioritizes property rights over the civil rights of black people." Specifically, why should he care about the civil rights "of black people"? What about the civil rights of Latino people? What about the civil rights of women? The point is, discussing the rights or non-rights of specific groups is inherently discriminatory. We don't have rights because we belong to particularly minority groups, and the protection of our rights isn't dependent on being a particular ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion. etc. EVERYONE has the same rights. No one person's rights take precedence over another, and the government's responsibility is to allow people the freedom to behave and associate in the way that they see fit.

Again, this means that you are going to run into a lot of backward idiots. It means that if a restaurant chooses to not serve people of a particular skin color, they have that right. You also have every right to not patronize that restaurant, start a campaign against it, raise awareness, and challenge other people to not give that restaurant their business. However, this is VERY different than the government stepping in and saying, "You MUST serve any customer that wishes to eat at your establishment, and we will penalize you if you do not." One scenario is MORE free - the other scenario is less free.

"The fact that you find nothing extreme about supporting the right of businesses to treat black people like crap is telling." This is a straight up straw man attack. I consider the treatment of people based on their skin color (or religion, or sexual orientation, or...) to be extremely racist, hateful, outrageously offensive, and backward. However, I don't think you can legislate color-blindness. I don't think Civil Rights Act really made those business owners any more tolerant. If anything, it just created bitterness, resentment, and more hatred.

It doesn't disturb me that Dr. Paul doesn't disavow the support of white supremacists. Freedom is popular, and again, protecting ALL rights means that you are also protecting the rights of people to feel, think, and in some cases, act in ways that society has deemed offensive. Dr. Paul recognizes that even the people with whom he disagrees find his message of liberty to be attractive, and he chooses not to alienate them. His campaign is fighting for their rights (though not for their beliefs), so why should he disavow them?

You know what DOES disturb me? How other political candidates don't disavow the support of bankers, CEOs, and corporations that have profited tremendously from figuratively raping and pillaging the public. Other candidates basically get into bed with people who are interested only in their own gain. These politicians speak at their events, schmooze with their lobbyists, and go through great efforts to pass favorable legislation. Is this not more disturbing than acknowledging that there are some crazy people who like freedom?
1. We live in a country where businesses can't do whatever they want. For example, a business can't operate purely on the barter system. If someone offers to pay with U.S. currency the business person is obligated to accept that payment under penalty.

Likewise, we have rules against businesses discriminating against people of all races and religions, whether you are white, straight, latino, gay, black, Jew, Muslim, Christian etc. Hence, if you want to run a business in this country you can't be bigoted towards your patrons, and I don't think that is asking a lot. There is nothing in the Constitution that says that the government can't make rules to regulate businesses. In fact, the Constitution explicitly gives broad authority to the government to regulate interstate commerce whether you like it or not.

2. I think you are having trouble understanding what I am saying. I'm not saying that Paul is a racist. I am saying that minority rights (or majority rights for that matter) are not a concern of his. He prioritizes the right of business to treat minorities like crap over the concern for their civil rights. It doesn't mean he is a racist, nor does it mean he doesn't have sympathy for the plight of certain minorities, but it does mean the civil rights of minorities is just not that important to him.

3. Obama disavowed the support of Reverend Wright, and the types of people that Paul refuses to disavow have said and done far worse things than saying "god damn America." All politicians pander, but most politicians don't pander to hate groups. It is disgusting that Paul feels the need to do so.

4. The point I am making with Lawrence v. Texas is not that he is a homophobe. It is that he is an extreme state's rights conservative, whereas liberterians value the right of the individual over any government (state or federal). In that instance he is favoring the state over the individual, which is antithetical to what real libertarians believe.

5. Finally, it is bizarre you are so angry at bankers, yet you are supporting a candidate that wants to create an environment where bankers can do whatever they please. Seems a bit hypocritical

Last edited by SeanL; 02-27-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #331
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:

that is a pretty damned weak definition of "PROTECT rights"...

what you are saying is that the government exists to protect rights..except in instances wheresomebody else doesn't want to observe others rights, in which case the government exsts to protect THEIR right to ignore other's rights... right?

the purpose of government is to protect lunch counter owners from uppity coloured folk protesting the fact that those lunch counters refuse to serve them.... really?
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #332
iella
Golden Member

Quote:
1. We live in a country where businesses can't do whatever they want. For example, a business can't operate purely on the barter system. If someone offers to pay with U.S. currency the business person is obligated to accept that payment under penalty.

Likewise, we have rules against businesses discriminating against people of all races and religions, whether you are white, straight, latino, gay, black, Jew, Muslim, Christian etc. Hence, if you want to run a business in this country you can't be bigoted towards your patrons, and I don't think that is asking a lot. There is nothing in the Constitution that says that the government can't make rules to regulate businesses. In fact, the Constitution explicitly gives broad authority to the government to regulate interstate commerce whether you like it or not.
I recognize that these rules are in place. In fact, I recognize that these rules, in general, encourage people to behave in a civil manner and live harmoniously with each other. However, I am of the belief (and you are free to disagree, of course) that government regulation of businesses tends to hurt small businesses, which is often the exact opposite of the stated intent.

Speaking in a general sense first, large businesses with plentiful resources can hire lawyers, bribe regulators, find loopholes that allow them to circumvent the spirit of the law, or even absorb the penalties of outright breaking the law. More regulation doesn't make these businesses change. Rather than trying to legislate people and businesses into civility and modern, enlightened thinking, individuals ought to spend their energy raising awareness for causes that they support. The loudest incentive in business is almost always the money.

For example, the environmental movement has existed since before you or I were born. The government been passing laws and setting aside land to support that movement. However, it wasn't until more recently that being "green" became trendy, and as a result, people started spending their money to support environmentally friendly businesses, products, and causes. Public awareness to the environmental movement made businesses realize that it's profitable to be (or at least appear to be) environmentally friendly. Before this, not many people cared. The government can't create regulations and penalties fast enough to keep up with all the ways a company find to dump toxic waste, but public awareness can keep those things in check and encourage "good" behavior.

Going back to the main example - if a business decided to stop serving people of a certain ethnicity, what would happen (assuming no laws existed that prevented this)? There would be a public uproar, people would call for a boycott of the restaurant, and anyone who dined there would probably be accused of being racist themselves. Would the business suffer? I would hope so, and if it suffered enough, they would change their policy or go out of business. What if it was a fantastic restaurant that was patronized by wealthy people with unabashed racist sympathies? They probably wouldn't change their policy.

In the latter case, what would happen if the government stepped in (as it does) and forced them to serve people of that ethnicity? Would they serve those people? Yes. Would they be less racist? No. So what have we accomplished? All we did is pretend that the problem doesn't exist. If someone wanted to exclude me from an establishment based on the color of my skin or my gender or my sexual orientation or my religion, would I really be comfortable patronizing that place anyway? In general, I would be more than happy to say, "Screw you" and find a place that wants my dollars more than they want to hate on me.

You said, "Hence, if you want to run a business in this country you can't be bigoted towards your patrons, and I don't think that is asking a lot." I would argue that no one running a business could be called "intelligent" for being bigoted toward their own patrons (or potential patrons), but why shouldn't they be free to be stupid businessmen? Also, "asking a lot" is subjective. You and I don't think it's asking a lot because of how we were raised, but to some, it may in fact be asking a lot.

Emphasizing to people that discrimination on the basis of ethnicity, gender, religion, etc. is prohibited ultimately just causes everyone to constantly be thinking about the fact that people might do this. It means that white kids think they're rejected from colleges because they're white, and it means that black students get disciplined for being unruly think it's happening because schools hate black people. It puts a chip on everyone's shoulder. Rather than trying to legislate enlightenment, we who consider ourselves to be more enlightened ought to be spreading the message and spending our money in a way that reflects our beliefs.

More recently, protection from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation has become the popular rallying cry. A few years from now, it will be something else. The problem with creating these "protected classes" is that we're ultimately still categorizing people and assigning rights based on the categories to which they belong. Every time a new way of categorizing people comes up, we'll need to pass more laws to make sure that you're not allowed to discriminate against people of that particular category.

It's more efficient (and less discriminatory) to say, "We are all equal. Everyone has fundamental, inalienable rights." You don't need to say "black people and white people and gay people and straight people and religious people and atheists," because we ALL fall under the category of "Everyone." And what are those fundamental rights? Freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, the right to bear arms... obviously, you can see where I'm going with this. If someone's fundamental rights are violated, they ought to be protected, and the violator ought to be punished or otherwise discouraged. But the linchpin question here is, what constitutes a fundamental right? I don't think "the right to force someone to do business with me" is all that fundamental.

If that's what we're disagreeing on, then no amount of discussion on the surrounding issues will ever bring our points of view into alignment.

Quote:
2. I think you are having trouble understanding what I am saying. I'm not saying that Paul is a racist. I am saying that minority rights (or majority rights for that matter) are not a concern of his. He prioritizes the right of business to treat minorities like crap over the concern for their civil rights. It doesn't mean he is a racist, nor does it mean he doesn't have sympathy for the plight of certain minorities, but it does mean the civil rights of minorities is just not that important to him.
I agree. Every politician has their pet causes. Dr. Paul thinks that the pendulum has swung too far one way, and would like it to start swinging back the other way. Somehow, a lot of people interpret this as being racist.

Quote:
3. Obama disavowed the support of Reverend Wright, and the types of people that Paul refuses to disavow have said and done far worse things than saying "god damn America." All politicians pander, but most politicians don't pander to hate groups. It is disgusting that Paul feels the need to do so.
Did Obama's disavowal of Rev. Wright's support mean, "Please don't vote for me, and if you are a follower of Rev. Wright, don't vote for me either"? If anything, the pandering was in Obama folding to the pressure of those who objected to Rev. Wright. The disavowal is symbolic, meaningless, and used purely for political purposes. Dr. Paul doesn't see the need, and I don't see why that's "disgusting."

Quote:
4. The point I am making with Lawrence v. Texas is not that he is a homophobe. It is that he is an extreme state's rights conservative, whereas liberterians value the right of the individual over any government (state or federal). In that instance he is favoring the state over the individual, which is antithetical to what real libertarians believe.
I agree that Dr. Paul is often wrongly categorized as a libertarian, and I agree that he is wrong in this case (again, as I understand it based on your descriptions). Individual rights ought to be the most protected. I don't agree with 100% of his positions, but I agree more with him than I agree with other politicians. I think his positions, while very idealistic and perhaps ultimately counterproductive if brought to complete fruition, would move the country back from the brink on which we currently find ourselves (over regulated, overtaxed, overly politically correct, overly involved internationally where we have no business being involved, overly in debt).

I have no delusions of grandeur. Dr. Paul is not going to be nominated, much less elected. I do wish that people would think more thoroughly about his positions and why/if they disagree with the ideological underpinnings of his positions rather than just dismissing the platform as ludicrous based on what positions are popular today. I'm fighting a philosophical and ideological battle here, not a political one.

Quote:
5. Finally, it is bizarre you are so angry at bankers, yet you are supporting a candidate that wants to create an environment where bankers can do whatever they please. Seems a bit hypocritical
I'm not angry at bankers as much as I'm disappointed with politicians who pass legislation to help out their banker golf buddies/political contributors. I expect bankers (and businessmen in general) to do whatever they can to get ahead and end up on top - isn't that what we're all doing? I also expect the government to keep the playing field level-ish by not passing legislation that quashes competition or artificially props up certain institutions over others.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #333
iella
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo View Post
that is a pretty damned weak definition of "PROTECT rights"...

what you are saying is that the government exists to protect rights..except in instances where somebody else doesn't want to observe others rights, in which case the government exists to protect THEIR right to ignore other's rights... right?

the purpose of government is to protect lunch counter owners from uppity coloured folk protesting the fact that those lunch counters refuse to serve them.... really?
The Bill of Rights lays out a lot of rights that are protected under law. Nowhere is there a "Right to eat at whatever restaurant I want." The federal government exists to protect those rights that are specifically defined in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Do other rights exist? Yes, that's why the 9th Amendment is there. But again, I don't see "Right to eat at whatever restaurant I want" to be one of those fundamental, inalienable rights.

The Constitution was put into place to protect citizens from an overreaching federal government, not to give the government purchase to "protect" us from each other by regulating how we think and behave. Disputes between people or groups of people can and ought to be mostly regulated at the state or even (preferably) local level.

Obviously, this is a conservative interpretation. We can agree to disagree.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #334
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Funny....as I'm reading this I'm sitting in a fairly nice restaurant.

I'd guess 99.9% of the patrons are white, but at least my waiter is black.

Thank goodness for desegregation.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #335
SeanL

Quote:
The Bill of Rights lays out a lot of rights that are protected under law. Nowhere is there a "Right to eat at whatever restaurant I want." The federal government exists to protect those rights that are specifically defined in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Do other rights exist? Yes, that's why the 9th Amendment is there. But again, I don't see "Right to eat at whatever restaurant I want" to be one of those fundamental, inalienable rights.
You seem to be confused on how the constitution works. Specific rights aren't enumerated in the constitution. It is up to the Supreme court to determine who is a federally protected class under the constitution. Furthermore, the constitution does specifically say the federal government can regulate business as much as it feels like under the interstate commerce clause. Hate to burst your bubble.

Quote:
The Constitution was put into place to protect citizens from an overreaching federal government, not to give the government purchase to "protect" us from each other by regulating how we think and behave. Disputes between people or groups of people can and ought to be mostly regulated at the state or even (preferably) local level.
Actually the constitution was put in place to give the federal government more power. Prior to the creation of the constitution there were the Articles of the Confederation. The federal government was extremely weak and the U.S. almost became a failed state. That is the whole reasoning behind the creation of the Constitution: to strengthen the federal government. And you want to bring us back to the dark ages when the U.S. was on the brink of disaster.

Quote:
Obviously, this is a conservative interpretation. We can agree to disagree.
It has nothing to do with a conservative or liberal interpretation. It has to do with historical fact and historical fantasy. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Last edited by SeanL; 02-29-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #336
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You seem to be confused on how the constitution works. Specific rights aren't enumerated in the constitution.
Seriously?

You mean specific rights like freedom of speech, or the press, or the right to peacably assemble, or petition the government for redress of grievances, etc., etc...

Are these the sort of specific rights which aren't enumerated in the constitution? Because they are quite specifically enumerated in the constitution.

I think it'd be slightly more plausible to say that the enumeration of specific rights within the constitution does not negate other rights not enumerated in the constitution, or per the 9th:

Quote:
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
That's not too hard to understand, is it?

But of course the next question is "oh yeah, sez who?" and that, imo, is plainly addressed in the 10th:

Quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
The answer to the aforementioned question, "oh yeah, sez who?" is "the States respectively, or to the people"...it damn sure doesn't say "The Supremes on High."

So when the Supremes on High step in to the States and start enumerating unenumerated rights, what they're doing is what the old folks used to call "usurpation".

Quote:
Usurpation: illegal seizure and occupation of a throne.
It's a full-on power play, a territorial pissing match over who gets to be the king with the United States stepping across a very clearly delineated boundary.

Personally, I'm a little partial (not committed, much less devoted...just partial) to some old school liberal superstitions, "self-government" being on of those kinds of thing. I'm also a bit of a fan of the principle of subsidiarity, and my guess is the dead white guys that wrote the constitution were quite familiar with the concept if not the exact same phrase.

Moreover, or maybe as a subset of subsidiarity, I think it's good to have what I like to call a "separation of powers", not just functionally, but geographically as well. In this I mean that it's wise to have political subdivisions that are not...well...merely geographical subdivisions of the super power.

Anyhoo...I think if you take a regard for self-government and mix in a little principle of subsidiarity, then you get an argument for State's having...let's call it a "right"....to tell the United States to go away from time to time.

Mix in the fact that Constitution unequivocally states that powers not delegated to the federal government are reserved to the states and you have a pretty fair case for the constitutionality of "State's Rights."

(And i haven't even mentioned yet that we could bring back Jim Crow laws if only we had State's Rights!)

But I digress.

We all know that the "rule of law" is situational, and that political power comes out of the business end of a gun. Any question of "State's Rights" was effectively put to rest by 1865.

Last edited by alexamenos; 03-01-2012 at 11:41 AM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #337
iella
Golden Member

Quote:
You seem to be confused on how the constitution works. Specific rights aren't enumerated in the constitution. It is up to the Supreme court to determine who is a federally protected class under the constitution. Furthermore, the constitution does specifically say the federal government can regulate business as much as it feels like under the interstate commerce clause. Hate to burst your bubble.
Specific rights ARE enumerated in the Bill of Rights and other amendments. The idea of a "federally protected class" didn't even really come into play until 1964 with the Civil Rights Act.

This is the text of Section I of the 14th Amendment:

Quote:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. (source)
Nowhere is there a propensity to categorize based on race or anything else that is now considered "federally protected." This statement is actually much broader and more powerful than it would have been if the text stated, "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States on the basis of color, ethnicity, or religion." There is absolutely no reason for these provisions to be included since every person of every color, ethnicity, and religion belong equally under "citizens of the United States" (assuming they are, of course).

People of certain color, ethnicity, and religion are already protected because they fall under "everyone." Why was there a need to define "federally protected classes"? If states were enacting laws that endangered the life, liberty, and property of ANYONE, the original text of the 14th Amendment should have been enough for the federal government to step in and strike those laws down. The Lawrence vs. Texas case you cited is a perfect example of this.

I still think the issue we're primarily disagreeing on is the matter of which rights ought to be protected by the federal government. I'm sticking by my statement that the "right to eat at any restaurant you choose" should not be federally protected.

Also, the interstate commerce cause is used to justify all kinds of abuses of power by the federal government. The fact that the precedent exists doesn't mean it's correct. Last year, Congress was thinking about forcing a change in the college football bowl system under the auspices of the commerce clause. It's gotten a little ridiculous.

Consider also the example of a mom-and-pop restaurant that sources all ingredients and other materials locally. How do they fall under the jurisdiction of the commerce clause? Shouldn't they be subject to the business laws of their state and not to the federal government?

Quote:
Actually the constitution was put in place to give the federal government more power. Prior to the creation of the constitution there were the Articles of the Confederation. The federal government was extremely weak and the U.S. almost became a failed state. That is the whole reasoning behind the creation of the Constitution: to strengthen the federal government. And you want to bring us back to the dark ages when the U.S. was on the brink of disaster.
The Constitution was put into place to DEFINE the power of the federal government. Defining something can either make something stronger where it was once weak (as in the case of the Articles of Confederation), or it can weaken something that has become too strong (as I believe it should be used now). It's a big jump to go from "the Articles of Confederation are too weak, we need a stronger federal government" to "the Constitution gives the federal government the right to step in wherever and whenever it wants to enact whatever laws they see fit." If the latter were the case, why did we bother to fight and die to separate ourselves from the British monarchy in the first place?

I also find your claim that I "want to bring us back to the dark ages when the U.S. was on the brink of disaster" to be rather incendiary hyperbole. I am not proposing a return to the Articles of Confederation. I am, in fact, quite fond of the Constitution as it currently stands. You claim that a more limited federal government would bring us to the brink of disaster. I would counter that our current bloated, debt-ridden, politically deadlocked federal government, as well as our public culture of entitlement and state-dependence, IS currently bringing our country toward economic, political, and international disaster. We can discuss these things without straw man attacks.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with a conservative or liberal interpretation. It has to do with historical fact and historical fantasy. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
If you read the actual text of the Constitution, how much of what the federal government does today is explicitly spelled out? A lot of the federal government's current power is derived from interpretations of things like the commerce clause. So yes, it is absolutely a matter of interpretation.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:08 AM   #338
SeanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
Seriously?

You mean specific rights like freedom of speech, or the press, or the right to peacably assemble, or petition the government for redress of grievances, etc., etc...

Are these the sort of specific rights which aren't enumerated in the constitution? Because they are quite specifically enumerated in the constitution.

I think it'd be slightly more plausible to say that the enumeration of specific rights within the constitution does not negate other rights not enumerated in the constitution, or per the 9th:

That's not too hard to understand, is it?

But of course the next question is "oh yeah, sez who?" and that, imo, is plainly addressed in the 10th:

The answer to the aforementioned question, "oh yeah, sez who?" is "the States respectively, or to the people"...it damn sure doesn't say "The Supremes on High."

So when the Supremes on High step in to the States and start enumerating unenumerated rights, what they're doing is what the old folks used to call "usurpation".

It's a full-on power play, a territorial pissing match over who gets to be the king with the United States stepping across a very clearly delineated boundary.

Personally, I'm a little partial (not committed, much less devoted...just partial) to some old school liberal superstitions, "self-government" being on of those kinds of thing. I'm also a bit of a fan of the principle of subsidiarity, and my guess is the dead white guys that wrote the constitution were quite familiar with the concept if not the exact same phrase.

Moreover, or maybe as a subset of subsidiarity, I think it's good to have what I like to call a "separation of powers", not just functionally, but geographically as well. In this I mean that it's wise to have political subdivisions that are not...well...merely geographical subdivisions of the super power.

Anyhoo...I think if you take a regard for self-government and mix in a little principle of subsidiarity, then you get an argument for State's having...let's call it a "right"....to tell the United States to go away from time to time.

Mix in the fact that Constitution unequivocally states that powers not delegated to the federal government are reserved to the states and you have a pretty fair case for the constitutionality of "State's Rights."

(And i haven't even mentioned yet that we could bring back Jim Crow laws if only we had State's Rights!)

But I digress.

We all know that the "rule of law" is situational, and that political power comes out of the business end of a gun. Any question of "State's Rights" was effectively put to rest by 1865.
Dude, I was clearly referring to the 14th amendment in the Constitution - in particular the equal protection clause. I didn't mean the entire constitution. It just says all laws must be applied equally. It doesn't specifically say which laws, or what specific rights people may enjoy. Just all laws in general.

Last edited by SeanL; 03-02-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #339
SeanL

Quote:
Specific rights ARE enumerated in the Bill of Rights and other amendments. The idea of a "federally protected class" didn't even really come into play until 1964 with the Civil Rights Act.

This is the text of Section I of the 14th Amendment:

Nowhere is there a propensity to categorize based on race or anything else that is now considered "federally protected." This statement is actually much broader and more powerful than it would have been if the text stated, "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States on the basis of color, ethnicity, or religion." There is absolutely no reason for these provisions to be included since every person of every color, ethnicity, and religion belong equally under "citizens of the United States" (assuming they are, of course).

People of certain color, ethnicity, and religion are already protected because they fall under "everyone." Why was there a need to define "federally protected classes"? If states were enacting laws that endangered the life, liberty, and property of ANYONE, the original text of the 14th Amendment should have been enough for the federal government to step in and strike those laws down. The Lawrence vs. Texas case you cited is a perfect example of this.

I still think the issue we're primarily disagreeing on is the matter of which rights ought to be protected by the federal government. I'm sticking by my statement that the "right to eat at any restaurant you choose" should not be federally protected.

Also, the interstate commerce cause is used to justify all kinds of abuses of power by the federal government. The fact that the precedent exists doesn't mean it's correct. Last year, Congress was thinking about forcing a change in the college football bowl system under the auspices of the commerce clause. It's gotten a little ridiculous.

Consider also the example of a mom-and-pop restaurant that sources all ingredients and other materials locally. How do they fall under the jurisdiction of the commerce clause? Shouldn't they be subject to the business laws of their state and not to the federal government?

The Constitution was put into place to DEFINE the power of the federal government. Defining something can either make something stronger where it was once weak (as in the case of the Articles of Confederation), or it can weaken something that has become too strong (as I believe it should be used now). It's a big jump to go from "the Articles of Confederation are too weak, we need a stronger federal government" to "the Constitution gives the federal government the right to step in wherever and whenever it wants to enact whatever laws they see fit." If the latter were the case, why did we bother to fight and die to separate ourselves from the British monarchy in the first place?

I also find your claim that I "want to bring us back to the dark ages when the U.S. was on the brink of disaster" to be rather incendiary hyperbole. I am not proposing a return to the Articles of Confederation. I am, in fact, quite fond of the Constitution as it currently stands. You claim that a more limited federal government would bring us to the brink of disaster. I would counter that our current bloated, debt-ridden, politically deadlocked federal government, as well as our public culture of entitlement and state-dependence, IS currently bringing our country toward economic, political, and international disaster. We can discuss these things without straw man attacks.

If you read the actual text of the Constitution, how much of what the federal government does today is explicitly spelled out? A lot of the federal government's current power is derived from interpretations of things like the commerce clause. So yes, it is absolutely a matter of interpretation.
You said:
"The Constitution was put into place to protect citizens from an overreaching federal government"

By your own admission you were wrong.

Moreover, the equal protection clause in the 14th amendment - doesn't specifically enumerate rights. It merely says all laws must be applied equally. It doesn't have to specifically say people have the right to sit at the lunch counter or what have you.

Anyhow, the fact that you and your boy Ron Paul are arguing against the reasoning behind the Civil Rights Act - one of the most celebrated pieces of legislation in U.S. History - shows how crazy Paul's position is.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #340
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Dude, I was clearly referring to the 14th amendment in the Constitution - in particular the equal protection clause. I didn't mean the entire constitution. It just says all laws must be applied equally.
You're correct. It should have been obvious to me that you weren't referring to the entire constitution, inasmuch as it's evident that you're wholly unfamiliar with the 9th and 10th amendments.

Cheers
Old 03-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #341
iella
Golden Member

Quote:
You said:
"The Constitution was put into place to protect citizens from an overreaching federal government"

By your own admission you were wrong.
I actually believe I was right on both counts. The Constitution was written to strengthen the federal government beyond what the Articles of Confederation provided, but also to ensure that the federal government would not become too powerful in the future.

Think about it - if the intent was to have a really strong federal government that could overrule the states on a whim, why have any discussion of states' rights at all? The founders, being not far removed from the British monarchy, were very well aware of what an overreaching central government could do. The point of the weakness of the Articles of Confederation was that they didn't want a powerful central government. They realized that the original Articles were too weak to keep the country together, but that doesn't mean they wanted what we have today. Is it really so ridiculous to say, "We've come to far, let's start thinking about moving in the opposite direction"?

Quote:
Moreover, the equal protection clause in the 14th amendment - doesn't specifically enumerate rights. It merely says all laws must be applied equally. It doesn't have to specifically say people have the right to sit at the lunch counter or what have you.
Thus, any rights that aren't specifically enumerated in the Constitution are open to debate. That's all we're doing - challenging what the government has done thus far. I think it's the sign of a healthy democracy, you seem to feel otherwise.

Quote:
Anyhow, the fact that you and your boy Ron Paul are arguing against the reasoning behind the Civil Rights Act - one of the most celebrated pieces of legislation in U.S. History - shows how crazy Paul's position is.
"The fact that you are arguing... shows how crazy..." Is this meant to be a serious argument? You're effectively saying, "The fact that you disagree with me is enough for me to dismiss you." I suppose that's how today's politics work. You are not the first person to disagree with Dr. Paul, and I will certainly not hold a grudge against you for doing so. I hope you will give us the same respect.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #342
SeanL

Quote:
I actually believe I was right on both counts. The Constitution was written to strengthen the federal government beyond what the Articles of Confederation provided, but also to ensure that the federal government would not become too powerful in the future.

Think about it - if the intent was to have a really strong federal government that could overrule the states on a whim, why have any discussion of states' rights at all? The founders, being not far removed from the British monarchy, were very well aware of what an overreaching central government could do. The point of the weakness of the Articles of Confederation was that they didn't want a powerful central government. They realized that the original Articles were too weak to keep the country together, but that doesn't mean they wanted what we have today. Is it really so ridiculous to say, "We've come to far, let's start thinking about moving in the opposite direction"?

Thus, any rights that aren't specifically enumerated in the Constitution are open to debate. That's all we're doing - challenging what the government has done thus far. I think it's the sign of a healthy democracy, you seem to feel otherwise.

"The fact that you are arguing... shows how crazy..." Is this meant to be a serious argument? You're effectively saying, "The fact that you disagree with me is enough for me to dismiss you." I suppose that's how today's politics work. You are not the first person to disagree with Dr. Paul, and I will certainly not hold a grudge against you for doing so. I hope you will give us the same respect.
It is exceedingly difficult to show a politician respect when he openly attacks legislation that protects minority rights (especially given is track record with regard to racist comments).
Old 03-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #343
SeanL

Quote:
You're correct. It should have been obvious to me that you weren't referring to the entire constitution, inasmuch as it's evident that you're wholly unfamiliar with the 9th and 10th amendments.

Cheers
The tenth amendment only comes into play when the constitution doesn't give the federal government certain powers. So I"m not sure exactly what power(s) I previously stated that weren't granted by the Constitution. Maybe you can elaborate with a more thoughtful and intelligent post, besides making ambiguous and snide one-liners.

Last edited by SeanL; 03-02-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #344
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
(especially given is track record with regard to racist comments).
I'm starting to see why these rumors have been spun by his detractors, and I'm also starting to see why such allegations don't hold much water.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #345
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

If I actually believed that there was a political solution to the problems of the world and that the process of voting wasn't a mass ritual of collective servitude, I would be far more concerned with Paul's connections to the Rockefeller-funded Council for National Policy and the John Birch Society than a spurious connection to a pathetic fringe group of marginalized, frustrated white supremacists.

When I think of a true Libertarian, I think of Thomas Paine and the Quakers, not some used-up, frail politician who plays the political game while doing his best to convince his followers otherwise. Or a guy who accuses "Washington insiders" of taking corporate money while receiving millions of dollars from big pharma, big banks, big insurance, big alcohol, and Wall Street over the course of his career. So now we have the lesser of three evils, as opposed to two. Whoop-de-frickin' doo.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #346
iella
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Or a guy who accuses "Washington insiders" of taking corporate money while receiving millions of dollars from big pharma, big banks, big insurance, big alcohol, and Wall Street over the course of his career. So now we have the lesser of three evils, as opposed to two. Whoop-de-frickin' doo.
I can has source? Genuinely curious. I agree that he plays politics while claiming not to, but everything I've ever read indicates he doesn't take money from lobbyists.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #347
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can has source? Genuinely curious. I agree that he plays politics while claiming not to, but everything I've ever read indicates he doesn't take money from lobbyists.
http://query.nictusa.com/pres/2011/Q...C00495820.html
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #348
SeanL

Quote:
If I actually believed that there was a political solution to the problems of the world and that the process of voting wasn't a mass ritual of collective servitude, I would be far more concerned with Paul's connections to the Rockefeller-funded Council for National Policy and the John Birch Society than a spurious connection to a pathetic fringe group of marginalized, frustrated white supremacists.

When I think of a true Libertarian, I think of Thomas Paine and the Quakers, not some used-up, frail politician who plays the political game while doing his best to convince his followers otherwise. Or a guy who accuses "Washington insiders" of taking corporate money while receiving millions of dollars from big pharma, big banks, big insurance, big alcohol, and Wall Street over the course of his career. So now we have the lesser of three evils, as opposed to two. Whoop-de-frickin' doo.
Thomas Paine on Social Security:
"It is painful to see old age working itself to death, in what are called civilised countries, for daily bread... pay to every such person of the age of fifty years ... the sum of six pounds per annum out of the surplus taxes, and ten pounds per annum during life after the age of sixty... This support, as already remarked, is not of the nature of a charity but of a right."

He also had a lot of forward thinking ideas that some here today would label as being socialist. I just love the historical revisionism on this board where Thomas Paine - one of the biggest advocates for the poor and needy - was a Libertarian. LOL.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #349
SeanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
I'm starting to see why these rumors have been spun by his detractors, and I'm also starting to see why such allegations don't hold much water.
They are not rumors, there is literature where this smut about blacks and gays are written in black and white.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #350
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They are not rumors, there is literature where this smut about blacks and gays are written in black and white.
OK, boss.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #351
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thomas Paine on Social Security:
"It is painful to see old age working itself to death, in what are called civilised countries, for daily bread... pay to every such person of the age of fifty years ... the sum of six pounds per annum out of the surplus taxes, and ten pounds per annum during life after the age of sixty... This support, as already remarked, is not of the nature of a charity but of a right."

He also had a lot of forward thinking ideas that some here today would label as being socialist. I just love the historical revisionism on this board where Thomas Paine - one of the biggest advocates for the poor and needy - was a Libertarian. LOL.
So Libertarians are inherently not forward thinking or advocates of the needy?

Last edited by CadBane; 03-03-2012 at 01:14 AM.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #352
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How can you support someone who is against the Civil Rights Act and panders to racist groups?
The vast majority of people, other than those wackos that post on Stormfront, don't support him. That's why he's running in 4th in a 4 man race. Don't worry yourself, America has rejected Ron Paul and his nutty ideas once again. Not sure why the old man hasn't packed up and went home yet, but it's only a matter of time.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #353
alexamenos
Diamond Member

At least two counts where SeanL goes horribly, horribly wrong....

1. That the Civil Rights Amendment was the greatest thing in the history of ever, and without it we'd all be horrible horrible raciss segregators.

Here's a quick little test in consideration of whether de facto segregation is the norm--see if you can spot 8-mile road (the highway between urban Detroit and suburbs north of Detroit) on this map. (Hint: The red dots are where the white people live, the blue dots are where the black people live.)

Quote:
The whole reason behind the CRA is because even if you repeal Jim Crow laws you could still have de facto segregation.
The thing is....we still have de facto segregation. If you think maybe it was unfair of me to pick Detroit as an example, let's look at nice progressive towns like Austin or Seattle. Austin is pretty clear, white people to the west and dark people to the east. Seattle hardly has any black people and it looks like they all live in the same very small neighborhood--they must really hate black people there.

But I suppose the CRA must have some very tangible benefits for black folks, like when it comes to getting a job...hmmm...googling, googling...whoops

Quote:
Since the 1940s, the jobless rate for blacks in America has held remarkably, if grimly, steady at twice the rate for whites.
Since the '40s? Doesn't seem like the CRA helped much in that regard.

Maybe I should look at the incarceration rates for blacks v whites??? Or...maybe not, I'll leave it to Sparky to show how much the CRA helped the black man in this regard.

Point being, human nature is a remarkably immaleable thing, and humans have long had a propensity for hanging with people who talk, think, and look like themselves.

2. The act of voting in Federal Elections is a mystical ritual which lifts people into higher states of consciousness.

Lest I be accused of a setting up a strawman, I should probably allow that Sparky just doesn't know what the heck he's talking about when he refers to "State's Rights", but let's assume he does:

Quote:
the policies he [Paul] supports - extreme state's rights conservatism (not libertarianism) - logical conclusion would be the oppression of millions of Americans.
Extreme State's Rights Conservatism [ESRC] basically means that the State governments are sovereign and the Federal government is the weaker subsidiary.

With this understanding of ESRC, consider the implication of Sparky's statement....

NY (19mm souls), Texas (26mm souls) and California (36mm souls) -- According to Sparky, if the people of NY, Texas, and California each have their own sovereign State governments, then *logically* we must conclude that this will lead to the oppression of millions. Also, by implication, if those exact same 19+26+36mm people are voting for a Federal sovereign rather than a State sovereign, then everything is going to be just dandy.

Thus are 81mm people lifted into a racially transcendant consciousness by voting in federal elections. Logic!

Last edited by alexamenos; 03-03-2012 at 11:44 AM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #354
SeanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
So Libertarians are inherently not forward thinking or advocates of the needy?
Usually they recommend 1800's style economics (laissez faire capitalism), and a good portion of their prescriptions is to get rid of social programs for the poor. So yes.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #355
SeanL

Quote:
At least two counts where SeanL goes horribly, horribly wrong....

1. That the Civil Rights Amendment was the greatest thing in the history of ever, and without it we'd all be horrible horrible raciss desegregators.

Here's a quick little test in consideration of whether de facto segregation is the norm--see if you can spot 8-mile road (the highway between urban Detroit and suburbs north of Detroit) on this map. (Hint: The red dots are where the white people live, the blue dots are where the black people live.)

The thing is....we still have de facto segregation. If you think maybe it was unfair of me to pick Detroit as an example, let's look at nice progressive towns like Austin or Seattle. Austin is pretty clear, white people to the west and dark people to the east. Seattle hardly has any black people and it looks like they all live in the same very small neighborhood--they must really hate black people there.

But I suppose the CRA must have some very tangible benefits for black folks, like when it comes to getting a job...hmmm...googling, googling...whoops

Since the '40s? Doesn't seem like the CRA helped much in that regard.

Maybe I should look at the incarceration rates for blacks v whites??? Or...maybe not, I'll leave it to Sparky to show how much the CRA helped the black man in this regard.

Point being, human nature is a remarkably immaleable thing, and humans have long had a propensity for hanging with people who talk, think, and look like themselves.

2. The act of voting in Federal Elections is a mystical ritual which lifts people into higher states of consciousness.

Lest I be accused of a setting up a strawman, I should probably allow that Sparky just doesn't know what the heck he's talking about when he refers to "State's Rights", but let's assume he does:

Extreme State's Rights Conservatism [ESRC] basically means that the State governments are sovereign and the Federal government is the weaker subsidiary.

With this understanding of ESRC, consider the implication of Sparky's statement....

NY (19mm souls), Texas (26mm souls) and California (36mm souls) -- According to Sparky, if the people of NY, Texas, and California each have their own sovereign State governments, then *logically* we must conclude that this will lead to the oppression of millions. Also, by implication, if those exact same 19+26+36mm people are voting for a Federal sovereign rather than a State sovereign, then everything is going to be just dandy.

Thus are 81mm people lifted into a racially transcendant consciousness by voting in federal elections. Logic!
Arguing about whether the Civil Rights Act was a good thing is like arguing whether the 13th amendment (emancipation) was a good thing. It is self-evident that yours and Paul's position is absurd.

Last edited by SeanL; 03-03-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #356
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Arguing about whether the Civil Rights Act was a good thing is like arguing whether the 13th amendment (emancipation) was a good thing.
Wow...you really have some reading comprehension issues, don't you?

You should take another read of my post, and try real hard to ascertain whether I was addressing your comment that without the Civil Rights Act we'd have de facto segregation.

We do have the Civil Rights Act, correct?

We do have de facto segregation, correct?

You can either rebut the contention that we have de facto segregation, or you can acknowledge that whatever the benefits of the Civil Rights Act may be, desegregation really isn't one of them.

If you'd like to make the argument that black folks get a much better deal before the law today than they did pre-CRA, then I suggest you bring some incarceration statistics to the discussion. Would you like some help finding these stats?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #357
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobx View Post
The vast majority of people, other than those wackos that post on Stormfront, don't support him. That's why he's running in 4th in a 4 man race. Don't worry yourself, America has rejected Ron Paul and his nutty ideas once again. Not sure why the old man hasn't packed up and went home yet, but it's only a matter of time.
In favor of what? The same plastic, dunderheaded two-party regime hellbent on war, debt, and government expansion that's been plaguing the White House for decades? At this point we'd be better off with Carrot Top in there.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #358
SeanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
In favor of what? The same plastic, dunderheaded two-party regime hellbent on war, debt, and government expansion that's been plaguing the White House for decades? At this point we'd be better off with Carrot Top in there.
I support candidates who don't think you can get AIDS by seating on the same toilet seat as a gay person.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #359
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I support candidates who don't think you can get AIDS by seating on the same toilet seat as a gay person.
And I support candidates who don't believe in bloodletting and transmutation. It's well documented what some of these other kooks believe, you know. Somebody once said it somewhere.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #360
iella
Golden Member

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand. Based on a scan through the list, it looks like Dr. Paul gets a lot of contributions from... people who are self employed or in the military? Definitely don't see how this proves your point that he has been "receiving millions of dollars from big pharma, big banks, big insurance, big alcohol, and Wall Street."

Tags
seanl aka silksmooth, smegma-l