Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #1
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do you do? Why do you do it?

And do you like it?

I can start. I am a market research analyst at a search company near Mountain View but not in Mountain View. :P

I like technology but I can not stand office dynamics and structure. It is also rather empty - working for the dollar.... soul-robbing IMO. So this is why I ask these questions ...

... share.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I go to law school and will be working for a big law firm in Austin this summer. Assuming I don't screw up (knock on wood), I should be back there next summer and then full-time after I graduate.

I do it because I love working with the law and the method of thinking that it requires. A lot of people do it for the money, and of course, the money is nice, but that's not my main motivation.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-04-2008 at 12:27 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:32 AM   #3
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a freelance audio engineer. I take any jobs that deal with recording, mixing, etc.

I do it because I thought its what I wanted to do and its what my degree is in. I'm still at the stage where I feel like doing anything else would be admitting that my four years of college was a waste. I also don't know how to start doing anything else.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I work in an office – spreadsheets, paperwork, clients, bosses, projects. I do it because it's low stress and close to home, and it's a nice environment. Besides, a bilogy degree doesn’t do you any good unless you teach or get a graduate degree. Since I dropped out of graduate school... well, here I am.

I like the people I work with, but I abhore the beige Cube Farm setup and the evil “eye-searing” bright light over my desk. I agree, it can feel quite empty and soul robbing at times (especially dealing w/Flaco-style complainers). But still, I feel lucky to be here, and I’m grateful it’s nice and peaceful most of the time. I’ve had jobs that consumed me with sickening anxiety every day, and reduced me to tears occasionally. Who needs that?

It is amazing how inspired I get on vacations though! I have ideas for books I'd love to write - fiction, non-fiction, even some children's books. I also get inspiration for scientific research! LOL. Work takes so much energy though... I think that’s why the inspiration disappears once I've been back a while. Most days, I just want to go home and cook, and then relax.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #5
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a bookkeeper for 14 years. I teach some classes on the side. I'm currently working on a teacher certification so I can get a "grown-up" job at a public school somewhere.

Why? Because I need a vacation and a benefit package.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 02-04-2008 at 11:53 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I too work under the bright lights of the corporate office environment. I got a B.S. in Computer Science, and then ended up in "Loss Prevention," which is interesting. Internal investigations, covert camera installations, exception reporting, inventory control...etc,etc... and some programming whenever and idea to improve upon current procedures strikes me.

I have an opportunity to move to a different department, if I learn VB 6 and a lot more SQL than I know now, for a very substantial increase in pay...but it would be infinitely more boring and tedious.

I assume everyone's answer for "why do you do it?" is "For the money." If it's not, then good for you.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see, I am 1) a Network Admin, who lives on a 2)farm/ranch, who spends most of his spare time 3) coaching kids.

Why do I do it?
1) Net Admin---Money -- the kids seem to think it is important to eat
2) Farm --- family -- it is how/where I grew up, and I think a great place to rear children to teach them value of working, and survival.
3) Coaching --- love of sports -- I have 6 kids, and basically I think I know more about the basics of basketball and softball than most of the "dads" out there. I win some and lose some, and know that most teams destiny is determined at the draft each year where you have to do talent evaluation.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to call what I make a living, then Stand Up Comic.

I spent a year in college working on a music degree, but found that to be stifling to my creativity so I did what any other intelligent person would do. I dropped out started a death metal band and spent the next four years hooked on meth.

After realizing that was getting me nowhere, I kicked the habit (clean 5 years last October) and the band, and started playing music for hire in a r and b cover band. After doing a year of county fairs opening for likes of Eddie Money (awesome guy) and Joan Jett (total bitch) a member of the band said, "Hey I know a guy who does stand up and this band is going nowhere, you're funny let me put you in touch with him." Up to that point I never even thought of stand up as a career, but said, "what the hell" and tried it.

Well after a year of open mics and a year on the road doing guest spots and sleeping in my car, I got an offer to be the house MC in Knoxville Tn, so I moved and spent a year there honing my act. Now I tour the country as a solid feature act (That's the second guy on the bill who after the show always hears either "I thought you were better than the headliner", or "Oh hey, you were good too.")

Last year I put 45,000 miles on my car and body, I made a little under 30 grand (the most I've ever made in a year), Did countless shows in dive bars in front of 20 drunks, But I also got to do shows in theaters in front of 1000s and got to meet some of the coolest people in the world and see some of the most amazing places in this country, and Japan.

So yeah, I like my job!!!

Sorry about the diatribe.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I am a "development economist". I work for a financial services org that provides credit enhancements and risk insurance to firms that want to invest in poor countries. As with all jobs, it has its hideously dull moments and areas of interest, and I feel good about the overall purpose of my work.

However, that said, work is for chumps.

If I could win the lottery I would spend the rest of my days sitting on a beach in my tighty whities decompressing (and once all the pressure has been removed, sighing happily). OK, that is not ENTIRELY true, I would also do x, y , and z, none of which involves 50 hours/week following through on sombody else's agenda.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

I'm halfway through law school, but I am in it for the money.

Seriously, though, I grew up around lawyers and generally find them to be interesting people. My father is an attorney, so I feel like I know what I'm getting myself into as far as the practice is concerned. Plus, the subjects and skills that you're taught in law school are useful in many areas of life. But really, I just wanted to get a graduate degree, and a J.D. is the only one that appealed to me. *shrug*

I'm hopeful that I will enjoy practicing law, but if not, I just hope that I can tolerate it long enough to pay off my student loans.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a software developer for a company that makes software for call centers.

I've also done some contract work on the side for PHP/MySql web sites.

I do it because I love programming of any kind (although VB6 is the devil, Flac), and the money's not bad either.

But as of today, I very much miss the cube-farm setup.....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 02-04-2008 at 07:18 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I clean offices. Weekends and holidays off. The pay is excellent, I'm my own boss, work alone, and the hours are flexible.

Sounds sick but I love it.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #13
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

I am a sophomore at Baylor University. I am a History major, with minors in Great Texts of the Western Tradition and Religion. I was a business major, before I realized that I didn't want to be in college to learn how to do something, but rather to learn. So I learn.

After my four years here, I will probably go down to Austin for graduate school, for two reasons. One, I don't think I could live in Waco for another two years, and Austin presents an opportunity for me to pursue my real dream, which is to be a professional folksinger.

After I get my masters in some kind of History (probably modern), and if I have been unable to accomplish anything professionally in folksinging, I will pursue my doctorate and become a professor. Why, you ask? Because I'm not social enough to do anything else. I am unable to do anything "practical."

Last edited by Kirobaito; 02-04-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

When I'm not living off the welfare checks that YOUR tax dollars fund, I'm selling crack, meth, and goofballs to your kids...

(don't ask how I can afford internet - I haven't worked that part of my story out yet... )

p.s. - tell little Billy that I'll break his legs if he doesn't have my money by tomorrow!!!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-04-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #15
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

I just sit around and eat cheez-its.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:21 PM   #16
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk
I just sit around and eat cheez-its.
All my best customers do!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:13 AM   #17
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I am a Network Administrator for a growing company in Temple. I do it because I have always been really good at this type of stuff and because I couldn't imagine going to school for 8+ years to do the next thing that was on my list of career jobs - being a Vet, (I LOVE animals). I get my work and it comes natural so why not make a good living doing something easy. To be specific, I manage roughly 12 servers, 200 PCs, 120 VPNs, a Help Desk for ALL IT calls and multiple technicians. I manage IIS, DNS, SQL, AD, Exchange, and NUMEROUS proprietary applications for our industry. Only about a year ago I got some serious help in and got to stop driving 3-4k miles per month hitting our outlying locations. I was doing every single printer call, scanner call, cable call, etc... At least I no longer have to run cables and do the incredibly boring windshield time - though I still put in about 1k per month. I am in charge of everything outside of some software applications and I put in, on average, 60 hours per week.

Do I love it? Sometimes. It is really rewarding at times and very very repetitive at others. Overall, I enjoy my career but I sometimes find myself really bored and lacking inspiration in life. I wish I could be doing something creative like RMA or even be brave enough like Finley to get out there on my own and be my own boss. In the end I am afraid of failure and I can't put my family in a position where, if I fail we lose everything. So, I continue to tread water in the office environment and I imagine I always will.

Sometimes I wish it didn't come so easy. Sometimes I wish I would just get fired and have no jobs open so I would have to dedicate my passions elsewhere. But then I think about my daughter and wife and son on the way. I remember how hard I had it growing up and how poor my family was. Those are the thoughts that make me read the extra MCSE book and take the meaningless tests to prove I am worthy to work in IT and should be paid top dollar. Life has a huge chunk of politics in it and I ride the same wave that the majority of us do. Props to some in here that choose not to tread water but rather get on a surfboard for that wave. It takes guts!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 02-05-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #18
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
All my best customers do!
Nice... I tried to rep you but dang it I need to spread that stuff around more!
Old 02-05-2008, 01:09 AM   #19
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitled
I'm halfway through law school, but I am in it for the money.

Seriously, though, I grew up around lawyers and generally find them to be interesting people. My father is an attorney, so I feel like I know what I'm getting myself into as far as the practice is concerned. Plus, the subjects and skills that you're taught in law school are useful in many areas of life. But really, I just wanted to get a graduate degree, and a J.D. is the only one that appealed to me. *shrug*

I'm hopeful that I will enjoy practicing law, but if not, I just hope that I can tolerate it long enough to pay off my student loans.
Awesome. So you're a 2L? Do you mind if I ask where you go to school?

Also, just as a general comment, it's interesting that so many of you are in a technical field. Lots of programmers and admins and the like. It makes sense, though, considering that internet message boards are probably much more widely used by technically-inclined folks.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-05-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #20
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Awesome. So you're a 2L? Do you mind if I ask where you go to school?
Yup, I'm a 2L at St. Mary's. Are you in your first year at UT?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #21
LonghornDub

Quote:
Yup, I'm a 2L at St. Mary's. Are you in your first year at UT?
Yessir. Halfway done with the dreaded first year.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #22
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

pastor in the burbs...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #23
untitled
Golden Member

Quote:
Yessir. Halfway done with the dreaded first year.
Well then, congrats and good luck! I can now verify that the rumors are absolutely true: the first year is by far the worst.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #24
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Documentation manager for software company.

I do it because it is extremely stable (have not been out of a job since graduating in 1995), I am very good at it, and I've been at the company for 9 years and get almost 5 weeks of vacation every year. Plus, our company is an extremely profitable and successful company. I have an office with a window overlooking a grassy meadow with flowers and bunnies.

Last edited by jacktruth; 02-05-2008 at 01:37 PM.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #25
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I straight up work for the money, no shame in that.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #26
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I'm a grad student at Emerson & an integrated marketing coordinator at a mid-sized PR agency in downtown Boston. I do a little PR, a lot of writing & a big part of my job is working with social media (blogs, podcasts, Facebook, etc). I don't do it for the money b/c I barely make any. I don't particularly like my job, but I'm getting good experience in marketing & social media so I think that maybe I can get one I actually like someday. Eventually, I'd like to move into sports & entertainment marketing. My goal in the next six months is to get my Masters & move back to some place warm.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:29 PM   #27
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

I'm a computer support guy for the city that I live in... I like my job well enough, I guess; it's sure as hell not what I really want to do but it pays the bills... ulitimately I'd like to be a role-playing video game designer; (something I've wanted to do since I was 15) got a huge hill to climb to become that, but I'll eventually be doing it!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #28
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I'm a national bank examiner. I like my job. I get to use a lot of the stuff I learned in college (financial analysis, strategic management, etc, etc) and I feel like I'm constantly learning. It gets frustrating at times due to all of the changes in the industry but it pays the bills and allows me to be much more comfortable than I thought I'd be at this point in my life. Looking forward to the day when a big bank comes calling and I can stop traveling all over the place and can spend more time in my own bed.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #29
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I'm a software developer for a company that makes software for call centers.
Thig, who do you work for?

I'm a sales engineer for a company that makes software for call centers.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #30
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

my job is to take those nice tracts of land that are at the intersection of two major roads, tearing out their natural state/beauty and replacing it with the ubiquitous retail store/restaurant.

iow, I am in commercial real estate. and yes, I am only in it for the money. my family seems to have (what is in my eyes) a very high expectation as it relates to their lifestyle, and for some reason they look to me to provide it...
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #31
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Thig, who do you work for?

I'm a sales engineer for a company that makes software for call centers.
Uh oh, we may be dire enemies.

I work for a company called Etalk.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 02-05-2008, 04:52 PM   #32
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm familiar with ETalk. I don't go up against them that often in deals I work on.

You guys are mostly Quality Monitoring/Call Recording, right?

I work for Aspect Software (formerly Aspect Communications).

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 02-05-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #33
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
So mostly Quality Monitoring/Call Recording, right?

I work for Aspect Software (formerly Aspect Communications).
Yeah the core of our software is call recording. I guess I could have been more specific, "software for call centers" is generally enough to make people's eyes glaze over.

Is Aspect Software related to the Aspect phone switch?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #34
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

for those of you in law school, where did you go for your undergraduate degree?
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:12 PM   #35
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Is Aspect Software related to the Aspect phone switch?
yeah, we make phone switches (ACDs), but also make Automated Outbound Dialers, as well as performance optimization products (workforce management, call recording/quality management, etc.).

I actually do all my work with the performance optimization stuff, but focus primarily on the Workforce Management.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #36
untitled
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinewalker
I received my B.B.A. from the finest university in the land, SMU.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #37
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinewalker
I went to UT for undergrad as well. Will be here 7 years total when it's all said and done.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #38
LonghornDub

Quote:
Well then, congrats and good luck! I can now verify that the rumors are absolutely true: the first year is by far the worst.
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus. Glad to hear someone else say it. I believe it particularly with the first semester. Now that I have a job lined up for the summer, a lot of weight has been lifted off my shoulders for this second semester.

Did you go to St. Mary's straight out of undergrad at SMU? Or did you work full-time some before law school?

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-05-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #39
untitled
Golden Member

Quote:
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus. Glad to hear someone else say it. I believe it particularly with the first semester. Now that I have a job lined up for the summer, a lot of weight has been lifted off my shoulders for this second semester.

Did you go to St. Mary's straight out of undergrad at SMU? Or did you work full-time some before law school?
I worked full-time as a case clerk for a year after graduating from SMU.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #40
LonghornDub

Quote:
I worked full-time as a case clerk for a year after graduating from SMU.
Right on. Well, good luck to you the rest of this year and next. You're lucky the hardest year is already behind you!