Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-19-2015, 12:36 AM   #1
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Matrix retires

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13...ing-16-seasons

Marc Stein, ESPN Senior Writer

26K Shares
Email
Print
Comment

Four-time NBA All-Star Shawn Marion told ESPN.com via text message Thursday that he intends to go through with his plans to retire after completing his 16th season.

"Hell yeah," Marion said.
Shawn Marion averaged 15.2 points and 8.7 rebounds over his 16-year career. Casey Sapio/USA TODAY Sports

The 37-year-old went unused by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the just-completed NBA Finals in his only season with the Cavs, but assembled an outstanding career highlighted by a championship with the Dallas Mavericks in 2011.

Marion, though, is probably best known for his 8½ seasons with the Phoenix Suns, who drafted him No. 9 overall in 1999 with a draft pick they ironically acquired from Dallas in the 1998 trade that made Steve Nash a Maverick. He initially revealed his intention to retire in a January interview with the Arizona Republic.

He told the newspaper at the time that he believed he could play another two or three seasons but that being away from his first child, infant son Shawn, convinced him it was time to walk away.

"I wanted to go out on my terms," Marion told the newspaper. "The biggest thing is having a son. I got attached to him. Seeing him periodically is hard. Watching him grow up on pictures and videos is hard."

One of the league's foremost two-way players at his peak, Marion weighed retiring after leaving the Mavericks last summer but opted in the end to sign with Cleveland in hopes of winning a second ring and because of the proximity to his son, who lives in Chicago.

All four of his All-Star seasons came in Phoenix, three of them after the Suns reacquired Nash and flanked him with Marion and Amar'e Stoudemire in a revolutionary offense under coach Mike D'Antoni.

Marion's time in the desert came to an end when he was the centerpiece of a trade with Miami in 2008 that brought Shaquille O'Neal to the Suns, with a brief stint in Toronto to follow before he spent five seasons in Dallas. Marion also earned a trip to the Olympics in 2004 as a member of Team USA's bronze-medal team in Greece.

Not exactly shocking news, but worthy of mention considering how important he was to the Mavs for the years he was here. He had a hell of an NBA career- probably deserves to be in HOF.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-19-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Probably my second-favorite Maverick of all-time. Happy trails!
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Matrix calling LeBron a "bitch" during the Finals is one of my favorite sports moments ever...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

The man deserves an awesome retirement party in both Phoenix and Dallas. I remember being so stoked having him join the Mavs. Went to a preseason game just to get the first in-person glimpse of him as a Mav in action.

I'll never forgot his ugly shooting mechanics and all his bunny-shot misses at the rim. But, overall he was a really great addition. His best season as a Mav was in 2011, and we likely wouldn't have won a championship without him.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

This belongs in the Mavs section since his time with Cleveland was rather meaningless.

He's a Mav for life. Provided much needed rebounding and defense that the team couldn't live without.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
This belongs in the Mavs section since his time with Cleveland was rather meaningless.

He's a Mav for life. Provided much needed rebounding and defense that the team couldn't live without.
Agreed & agreed.

I wanted Matrix here for years -- always thought he'd be a perfect fit next to Dirk (also because he was the closest thing in the league to a "Dirk-stopper" at the time)... Not only did we eventually get him, but he played a crucial role in slowing down some of the best players in the history of basketball (Kobe, Durant, LeBron) on our way to winning a title.

I have no doubt that he lands in the Basketball Hall of Fame, but I'd also love to see his jersey hanging in the AAC rafters... Sure, he spent his peak years playing for Phoenix, but he was far more important to Dallas when his career was said and done.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
Jon Avalon
Platinum Member

Jon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to all

Out of all of the players acquired to build the Championship team, my favorite was definitely the Matrix. When the moment the trade was being announced and posted on the homepage of ESPN, I was so excited and knew he would be an important piece to the puzzle. Cheers Matrix!
Old 06-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #8
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

His time in Cleveland was meaningless, but he spent the best years of his career with Phoenix. And a few years in Miami and Toronto as well. He spent less than 1/3 of his career with the Mavs, so for me it's more NBA news than specifically Mavs news.

But yes, he did help bring a championship here to Dallas, so he'll always have a special place in our memory.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for 2011!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXad82jsO34
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #10
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

Thank you very much Marion for all the great moments you gave us. Nothing but best for you!!!
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Loved watching him on Phoenix and was stoked when he joined the Mavs. Guarded LBJ during those finals and gave him the business. Thanks for everything Matrix.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #12
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
The man deserves an awesome retirement party in both Phoenix and Dallas. I remember being so stoked having him join the Mavs. Went to a preseason game just to get the first in-person glimpse of him as a Mav in action.

I'll never forgot his ugly shooting mechanics and all his bunny-shot misses at the rim. But, overall he was a really great addition. His best season as a Mav was in 2011, and we likely wouldn't have won a championship without him.
No doubt about that ring. Ultimate pro, after starting an entire season in 2010, came in as the backup behind Butler in 10-11, didn't cry, came in and did his job.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
jay3189
Banned

jay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nice

I always excited to watch Shawn Marion play. His bread and butter was being an athletic defensive rebounding machine who could get to the lane as well. Average ball handler, bad passer at times, and inconsistent outside shooting. That being said I will take a Marion type player any day on my roster. True pro who is versatile. Some people may forget from 2004-2007, Marion had a 10 rebound average as a 6'7 small forward. And if I am not mistaken, he averaged 11 rebounds in the 2005-2006 season. That is insane.
jay3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:44 AM   #14
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely loved the matrix before he became a mav and even more when he became a mav(read any of my posts about the 06 MVP stuff if you need confirmation)

Quietly One of the 100 best players in nba history and should be a slam dunk hofer though I'm not sure he will be.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 07-11-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:10 AM   #15
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Absolutely loved the matrix before he became a mav and even more when he became a mav(read any of my posts about the 06 MVP stuff if you need confirmation)

Quietly One of the 100 best players in nba history and should be a slam dunk hofer though I'm not sure he will be.
People talk about Monta being one of the better players to never make an all star. Matrix has to be one of the best defenders to never make an all defense team.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote