Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-04-2005, 10:19 PM   #1
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default Crash

I just saw the sneak preview. This is honestly one of the better movies i've ever seen. I VERY strongly recommend people to see this.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Crash

give info...you kinda left us hanging....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

found a trailer here

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 05-05-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

looks rather preachy....but what a solid cast. I'll see it fo shizzle.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:21 PM   #5
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE:Crash

That movie made Ludacris seem like a good actor.

It's a movie about different races crashing together.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Yea I was just about to say that on the previews though it's a snippet Ludacris looked pretty good. I don't think you could've asked for a better cast then this. I'm definately gonna have to check this out. Sort of reminds me of Traffic a bit but that's just by the previews even though I know the stories are completely different.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:29 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

When I first saw the thread I thought you were talking about that NC-17 movie that was out about 5-6 years ago that was about people that got sexual satisfaction out of crashing cars
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:07 PM   #8
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
When I first saw the thread I thought you were talking about that NC-17 movie that was out about 5-6 years ago that was about people that got sexual satisfaction out of crashing cars
Don't knock it till you've tried it EL.

Off topic... James Spader is one sexy bitch. What I wouldn't give to wake up everyday as his character from Pretty in Pink.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:56 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

DMN gave it a B

Movie Review
By CHRIS VOGNAR / The Dallas Morning News

It's a small world after all in Crash, the new movie about racial intolerance and cosmic connection in contemporary Los Angeles. With moments of bold acting and an ear for the petty slights that set off hate alarms every day in the big, bad city, Crash remains engaging even as its layers of coincidence stretch and then break the limits of plausibility.

A sort of Grand Canyon for its times, Paul Haggis' star-studded indie takes a wide swath of Angelenos and puts them through the traumatic motions of an uncommonly eventful couple of days. The existential comedy I Heart Huckabees wondered whether we're all connected or eternally separated. Crash falls firmly on the connection side.

And many of the connections fall on the bad side. The district attorney (Brendan Fraser) and his unhappy wife (Sandra Bullock) are carjacked by two homies (Ludacris and Larenz Tate), moments after the homies have argued about why everyone immediately thinks black guys are out to rob and steal. Don Cheadle plays the older brother of one of the carjackers, a cop facing a moral quandary with internal affairs implications.

Another cop (Matt Dillon, doing his most urgent work in years) harasses a well-to-do couple (Terrence Dashon Howard and the explosive Thandie Newton), oozing racial hostility all the way. Both Mr. Howard and the racist cop's partner (Ryan Phillippe) will later have fateful encounters with the carjackers.

This is a very ambitious film with a lot on its mind and not enough discipline to get it all across. Mr. Haggis, who wrote the script for Million Dollar Baby, has divided Crash's dramatic duties between so many characters and story lines that it would have taken a miracle to hold it all together. There's so much tension here that it all stays stuck on the surface, unable to seep into the film's roots.

That said, the surface tension is always palpable and frequently explosive. Mr. Howard, his star rising fast thanks to his intensity in Ray, Lackawanna Blues and the Sundance hit Hustle and Flow, delivers a searing portrayal of a good man choking on his anger. In a film filled with pairs, he and Ms. Newton form the most vivid couple.

Mr. Haggis does an excellent job visualizing L.A. as a thousand different cities, each distinguished by its own ethnic makeup and rules of engagement. Can these mini-cities ever come together and find redemption? Mr. Haggis' interlocking story lines suggest they have no choice.

But you get the feeling Mr. Haggis is after something more cohesive and consequential here, and he never quite pulls it all together. When Ms. Bullock's snooty housewife hugs her maid and says she's her best friend, you want to laugh in derision, not cry in sympathy. Lop off a few characters, tighten the narrative geometry, and Crash might have a sledgehammer impact. As it is, the film is content to tap you on the shoulder and ask you to take a look around.

Old 05-22-2005, 01:10 AM   #10
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Just got back from seeing it. It was a pretty good movie, though it didn't quite accomplish what it was fully going for. Like the review said, things just didn't tie together perfectly. It was very well-acted, and there were some great individual scenes. It felt like a sub-par Paul Thomas Anderson film. But, sub-par PTA is still a lot better than a lot of movies. Overall, I would recommend it.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:09 AM   #11
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I thought the movie was cheesy as hell. I won't see it again. The writer tried too hard to make a movie with a point and ended up making a crappy movie.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote