Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-13-2001, 12:48 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

ESPN.com now has a page that displays the current playoff matchups. As of today, the Mavs (6) would be matched up against the Jazz (3).

2000-2001 Current Playoff Matchups
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2001, 01:12 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

15 of our final 19 game are against +.500 teams. ouch

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 01:14 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

We REALLY need to come away with wins against Minnesota, Phoenix, and Houston.
Old 03-13-2001, 02:03 PM   #4
Proximo_X

Proximo_X is on a distinguished road

I kinda like the fact that we have a hard road to the playoffs. This Mav team is very talented, but also young and inexperienced. Playing all of the West super-powers prior to the playoffs might just be the preperation we need to obtain the mental toughness required in the post-seaseon.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2001, 12:39 AM   #5
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

The Olajuwon injury really hurts Houston. I see them now really struggling to make the 8. I still think Seattle may make it- I think they have 10 out of their last 15 at home. And of course there are Minnesota and Phoenix. Too bad two of those teams won't make the playoffs (this assumes Dallas gets #6) even though they are very deserving.
Old 03-14-2001, 12:46 AM   #6
djb
Administrator

I don't think Seattle or Houston will make it. Olajuwon's injury will definitely hurt the club since it was his re-emergence that triggered the Rockets' streak after the All-Star break. As for Seattle, well they're just too screwed up.
Old 03-15-2001, 08:39 AM   #7
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Here's a little "Possible Playoff Matchups" article from the DMN on Why and Why Not we should face certain teams.

"POSSIBLE PLAYOFF MATCHUPS

A few reasons why the Mavericks do and do not want to face the five teams ahead of them in the Western Conference standings as opponents in the first round of the playoffs:

San Antonio

Why not: Tim Duncan is still tough to defend, and Derek Anderson has added a perimeter dimension that has scorched the Mavericks.
Why: The Spurs have struggled with run-and-gun teams like the Mavericks. And Dallas now matches up better with the Twin Towers now that they are playing a little "tall ball" of their own, with athletic-yet-big Juwan Howard.

Sacramento

Why not: Difficult opponent because of inside-outside versatility that includes Chris Webber and sharp-shooting Predrag Stojakovic. Also would be toughest Â* read: loudest - arena in which to play.
Why: Will be better with Howard defending Webber, and the Kings' uptempo style matches the Mavericks' own play. Kings have only has marginally more playoff experience than Mavericks.

Utah

Why not: John Stockton to Karl Malone still works well enough to scare any team, and Donyell Marshall is fitting in too well.
Why: Contrasting styles could allow the Mavericks to dictate the tempo Â* a faster-paced game with lots of scoring. Mavericks athleticism will provide problems.

LA Lakers

Why not: Shaquille O'Neal. The Mavericks still have no one to match with the center, and Hack-a-Shaq doesn't even work, anymore, as O'Neal made 11-of-15 free throws in the last clash.
Why: An LA-Dallas series would rekindle some of the warm, fuzzy feelings the teams have for each other. Despite the lopsided LA lead in wins, the games almost always are close and entertaining.

Portland

Why not: Depth is always the greatest concern against the Blazers, and Rasheed Wallace was tough for the pre-Juwan Howard Mavericks to defend.
Why: The Mavericks chemistry can top the Blazers' chemistry any day."

Sorce: DallasMoringNews

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote