Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

<u>In the NBA's page:</u>

A rising star in the U.S., the Mavericks forward is a huge hit in his homeland
Nowitzki Makes His Mark on Both Sides of the Ocean

By Johannes Berendt
Special to NBA.com

WERTHER, Germany, Jan. 9 -- In 1997, Charles Barkley and his fellow NBA players were touring Germany to square off with a national selection of German talents in an exhibition game. While all eyes were on the star-studded US team, the play of the day was delivered by a little-known 19-year-old.
Asked why a tall, blonde German kid had embarrassed him with a thunderous in-your-face-dunk, the Chuckster answered: &quot;I don't care. But the kid -- what's his name again -- is good and should come to America.&quot;

Nowitzki was voted the second-most popular athlete in Germany for 2002.
Glenn James
NBAE/Getty Images

You bet Sir Charles knows who Dirk Nowitzki is now. And so do millions of sports fans, not just in Germany, but around the world.

&quot;Nowitzki has gained the status of a pop-star,&quot; says Roland Geggus, the president of the German Basketball Federation. &quot;We realize it whenever he is playing in his home country and there are thousands of fans waiting for him to sign autographs.

&quot;In our sport we have never experienced something like that before.&quot; Although the NBA has been popular since the original Dream Team and the Chicago Bulls' first run of three consecutive NBA championships, Nowitzki has helped basketball to a new popularity.

&quot;It's no secret that the fan interest had dwindled a little after the Old Guard of legendary players had exited the stage&quot;, Andr&eacute; Voigt, editor of BASKET-magazine, says. After Michael Jordan's second retirement, the league lacked role models and real superstars that fascinated fans in Germany.

&quot;Nowitzki, however, has turned the trend around big time. He's also one of the most highly-regarded athletes. The fact that even my grandfather asked me why he would make that much money tells you how popular he has grown.&quot;

Nowitzki's second-place finish in the national Sportsman of the Year voting, voted on by German sports journalists with the results broadcast on German public television giant -- ZDF, is further proof of his esteem. Nowitzki was beaten by a record-setting ski jumper, Sven Hannawald, but edged out living legends such as Formula One driver Michael Schumacher and the skipper of the soccer national team, Oliver Kahn.

Schumacher, for instance, is the German athlete with the highest global name recognition and the biggest income at an estimated $65 million a year. For Nowitzki to finish ahead of Schumacher is an indication of how far Nowitzki has come.

The Mavericks forward has found a special place in the Germans' hearts as basketball fans now have one of their own whom they can admire.

European Player of the Year
Nowitzki isn't just admired in Germany. He makes noise throughout Europe.

Each year, the Italian sports magazine &quot;La Gazetta dello Sport&quot;, one of the leading magazines in Europe, and with the assistance of the NBA, polls European players to determine the European Player of the Year.

Nowitzki was tops in this year's poll. The Kings' Peja Stojakovic and the Grizzlies Pau Gasol tied for third and Sacramento's Vlade Divac rounded out the top five.

Top Five:
1. Dirk Nowitzki, Mavs, 104 pts
2. Dejan Bodiroga, F.C. Barcelona, 54
3. Peja Stojakovic, Kings, 50
4. Pau Gasol, Grizzlies, 48
5. Vlade Divac, Kings, 15

La Gazetta dello Sport
German Basketball Bundesliga site

&quot;Watching 'Air' Jordan and Magic Johnson surely was fun. But a fellow countryman giving the world's best players a hard time? That's much better,&quot; Johann Wolfgang says with a smile. The 59-year-old manager of a food company finds it &quot;sensational that Nowitzki is as popular in America as in Germany.&quot;

Nowitzki appears to be a Wunderkind in more ways than just one. Apart from his affiliation with German sports charity organizations, fans admire him for his desire to play for the national team.

&quot;I think Dirk is great. He's one of the best players in the NBA and still takes his time to help Germany,&quot; student Jens Brinkhoff, 24, believes. &quot;Despite coming off an exhausting season, he always performs well then.&quot;

Physiotherapist Falk von Hollen, 23, adds: &quot;There are so many athletes - just look at Detlef Schrempf - who wouldn't sacrifice their holidays to play for their country. For some reason, Dirk feels honored and has a lot of fun.&quot;

Nowitzki's reputation received another major boost when he led Germany to a fourth-place finish at the European Championships in 2001. Making the NBA All-Star Game and winning the bronze medal at the World Championship last year didn't hurt either.

&quot;He's one of a kind. I guess many people like the way he plays and how he presents himself off the court,&quot; states Hanna Klingelmann, a former German playground basketball champion. &quot;Besides, he really got the looks.&quot;

Naturally, the &quot;Dirkster&quot; has become a domestic media darling, with youth magazines, internet pages and newspaper monitoring his performances closely.

So no matter what the Mavericks will accomplish this season, the German public will cheer for their hometown hero from overseas.

Johannes Berendt is a freelance writer from Germany. Berendt has written basketball articles for German publications Welt am Sonntag, die Welt and Neue Westfaelische and is a soccer reporter for SportsTicker (U.S.A.) and the Press Association (U.K.).

Old 01-10-2003, 02:16 PM   #2
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Good post Chiwas!
Is there a similar article about Eddie that you can find?
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 02:19 PM   #3
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

if there is,chiwas will find it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 02:38 PM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

<< Good post Chiwas!
Is there a similar article about Eddie that you can find?
>>

There are a lot better on Eddie but, you know, we are humble. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

No, it´s Dirk's time! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2003, 03:53 PM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

I now know how this face --&gt; [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] looks in the reality.

Old 01-10-2003, 06:10 PM   #6
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

Dirk would get alot more respect by the media if he did not look like animal off the Muppet Babies in every nation wide picture. Either the guy is always that goofy looking while playing or they pick these pictures as a joke.

I find it hard to believe you don't have an Eddie bio somewhere Chiwas. Hell I figured you have stool his diary by now. Just kidding with you.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 06:41 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

<< Dirk would get alot more respect by the media if he did not look like animal off the Muppet Babies in every nation wide picture. Either the guy is always that goofy looking while playing or they pick these pictures as a joke. >>

What are you talking about, Brian? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2003, 10:57 PM   #8
BrianJ

Chiwas I am just saying the guy looks like the biggest dork every time they get an action shot of him. I just can't see how these photographers are selecting pics that make Dirk look like a human being. He is not ugly, but you would never know it from the pics.

Somebody mentioned earlier about how much of a dork Walton is. I never saw him play, but the pictures of him make him look like one crazy son of a bitch. I got more respect for him now, the guy looked like a member of Charlie Mansons group.

Heard on the news tonight that there is now a 10,000 dollar reward for Eddies diary. Don't worry Chiwas my lips are sealed.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:07 PM   #9
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< Chiwas I am just saying the guy looks like the biggest dork every time they get an action shot of him. I just can't see how these photographers are selecting pics that make Dirk look like a human being. He is not ugly, but you would never know it from the pics.

Somebody mentioned earlier about how much of a dork Walton is. I never saw him play, but the pictures of him make him look like one crazy son of a bitch. I got more respect for him now, the guy looked like a member of Charlie Mansons group.
>>

Rather have Dirk play the game and showing enthusiasm (a lot of pics are enthusiasm pics) than being unemotional on the court.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 12:42 AM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

Again, but I don´t care anymore about the faces if he scores:

Old 01-11-2003, 01:42 AM   #11
BrianJ

it is funny though, obviously its not in his head when he goes up for a slam. Maybe Germans are different like that.