Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-07-2002, 01:38 AM   #241
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Damn you Hoosier, I should have known you would show up at a time like this. If you rub it in too hard, it'll get infected ok? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2002, 01:41 AM   #242
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

The worst thing about this loss was that we thought the Lakers were in the Mavs' heads before. Now, you just hope the Mavs are able to exorcise the Laker demon. They had the chance to finally get over that hump that is the Lakers. But right as the neared the top of this mountain, we tumbled off a cliff.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 01:42 AM   #243
HoosierDaddyNow

HoosierDaddyNow is on a distinguished road

<< Damn you Hoosier, I should have known you would show up at a time like this. If you rub it in too hard, it'll get infected ok? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] >>

I'm just playin'

There is NO reason for the Mavs to collapse like that. this game was just one of those Dal/LA things... it doesn't mean much in the bigger picture, Mavs are still a better team than the Lakers.
HoosierDaddyNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 01:43 AM   #244
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

<< &lt;&lt;POUNDING FISTS ON TABLE IN FIT ON LAUGHTER&gt;&gt; >>

Actual Picture of Hoosier Daddy
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 01:43 AM   #245
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Yup That's the sad Irony of it. They had a chance to finally shake off a generations old complex regarding the Lakers and the Staples Center. After almost obliterating it, in the end it became twice as big as it was before.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 01:50 AM   #246
NashFan1341

NashFan1341 is on a distinguished road

<< The worst thing about this loss was that we thought the Lakers were in the Mavs' heads before. Now, you just hope the Mavs are able to exorcise the Laker demon. They had the chance to finally get over that hump that is the Lakers. But right as the neared the top of this mountain, we tumbled off a cliff. >>

Great way to put it. I wonder where the Laker fans are...I thought they'd be back in full force. Maybe they're too busy tipping cars and rioting in the street after the win. *sigh*

I've gone back and (painfully) am rewatching parts of the game. I just can't believe how they could play so well, and have it all come crashing down. I think the Laker's piss poor offensive game in the first half allowed us to become comfortable defensively because we didn't have to do much. We knew they'd probably miss.

Then came the 4th when their shots started to go and we didn't know how to react. The mavs went back to all they knew in these situations, they became passive hoping their offense would bail them out. Sacramento series anyone?

I'm hoping after a night's sleep I'll feel better and be able to watch them play golden state tomorrow. I normally love to surf around the internet reading articles about the latest mavs game...this time i think i'll pass.

Or have my barf bucket handy.
NashFan1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 01:51 AM   #247
turbo.mav

thats BS epitome, I normally agree with your realist take but thats BS.

<< n the end it became twice as big as it was before. >>

wtf is that? TWICE AS BIG? realize this was the CLOSEST the mavs have come to beating the lakers at Staples in a long time... they are getting closer and closer.. they still have one more game to play in LA...
Old 12-07-2002, 01:54 AM   #248
turbo.mav

When the mavs get a coaching change, they will play with win-with-whats-proven basketball in the 4th quarter at staples center
Old 12-07-2002, 01:54 AM   #249
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

There was a reason that the Mavs were up 28 in the first place. No reason to end the season (or the playoffs) today. We choked tonight, and that includes the Nellies, plain and simple.

Old 12-07-2002, 01:57 AM   #250
Super Slow Mo

Super Slow Mo is on a distinguished road

i think the closest was last year when dirk had the ball and horry knocked it off him in the closing seconds. we had that game, like this 1.
Super Slow Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 01:59 AM   #251
NashFan1341

<< thats BS epitome, I normally agree with your realist take but thats BS.

<< n the end it became twice as big as it was before. >>

wtf is that? TWICE AS BIG? realize this was the CLOSEST the mavs have come to beating the lakers at Staples in a long time... they are getting closer and closer.. they still have one more game to play in LA...
>>

Actually I think the last game they played up there was a 2 pt win as well. A 3 by Horry won it (sound familiar?)

But again as what's been stated, it's not the fact that we lost, it's how. that was a pathetic effort in the 4th and I for one hope they remember it for the next game in LA. They better never ever let that happen to them again. It's really nothing you can simulate in practice. You lose confidence in the game when you give up that big of a lead and you lose your shot in the process.

After some thought, maybe it has been bad that the Mavs have blown out so many teams. Don't get me wrong it's comforting to the team and to the fans, but maybe that's the problem. They haven't really been challenged to make the 'big shot' in games this season, and maybe they just weren't ready to handle it yet but they'll get there. Like people have said disregarding our streak &amp; record, it's a long season. That's a long time for the Mavs to get it in gear and let's hope they do.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:07 AM   #252
turbo.mav

thanks for correcting me NashFan, I had forgotten
Old 12-07-2002, 02:09 AM   #253
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe people are actually blaming Finley for that last shot. I would almost bet that last play was NOT designed for Finley but for either Dirk or NVE who were open on the other side.

I've watched the last play 4 times, twice on my tape and twice on tv from the sports highlights. When I watched it live I thought Nash just tripped and tapped the ball to Finley then. Nash actually FALLS after being cut off by Kobe. The way Nash falls, his only option is to tap it out to Finley. Finley didn't have time to pass the ball to someone else, he HAD to take the shot.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:18 AM   #254
NashFan1341

I don't think anyone is blaming Fin, at least not on this board. It was mostly good defense from the lakers, but i guess if you want to fault someone it should be Nash. There should have been a better play run though. Get the ball in to NVE who would probably get swarmed at the 3 pt line and he could kick it to someone for an open shot. But there really is no reason to harp over it. We shouldn't have been in that position to begin with.

*Edit* and i admire you MFF for being able to watch the last play over again. i'm watching the end of the 2nd quarter :-) I just can't stomach that 4th.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:49 AM   #255
AdamAMMP

AdamAMMP is on a distinguished road

<<

*Edit* and i admire you MFF for being able to watch the last play over again. i'm watching the end of the 2nd quarter :-) I just can't stomach that 4th.
>>

Same here
AdamAMMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 03:13 AM   #256
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

<< sure as heck agree with you on dirk. Nellie in his post-game admitted that he didn't run enough stuff through dirk. I think the team may learn that defense has to be played all game and nellie may learn that when the game is on the line, dirk has to send himself to the foul line. >>

Is that the sign from up above, I have waited for a long time...

1. Nellie in his post-game admitted that he didn't run enough stuff through dirk.

Dirk is the Mavs` best player, but he just gets a 11(eleven) shots and still manages to get 21 points. Rule number 1 (one): Give the damn ball to Dirk!! Rule 1b) Give the ball to the guy with HOT hand: re: today`s game...ummhh, why not give the damn ball to NVE, when he is on?? Might be a good idea...

I think the team may learn that defense has to be played all game and nellie may learn that when the game is on the line, dirk has to send himself to the foul line.

2. Rule number 2 (two): Play defense the ENTIRE game and use your best weapons...Bell, Griff did a heck of a job, why not continue to play them in the fourth quarter??

3. Rule number 3 (three): In clutch situations you need a guy, who is able to SCORE!! It doesn`t matter, if it`s a three point shot, a two-pointer or a FT!!!...just someone, who is able to put some points on the score board...uhmmm, Dirk might be a good idea to get the job done...
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 03:34 AM   #257
dfwSPURSfan

dfwSPURSfan is on a distinguished road

I think this will light a fire under the Mavs.

For my own selfish reasons [see user name [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ]
I wanted the Mavs to finish the blowout, come
into SA a bit overconfident, then have my Spurs
actually hold a 4th quarter lead and escape with
a win.

I don't see that happening now.

The Mavs should play well angry.
1999 World Champions
dfwSPURSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 07:40 AM   #258
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

i dont know what are you talking about,we won,we won this game by a three by finley.
it was close but we won.
we won
we won
we won
we won
we won
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 10:24 AM   #259
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< Nellie in his post-game admitted that he didn't run enough stuff through dirk. >>

Maybe Cuban will have a banner made and hang it in Nellie's office.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 10:56 AM   #260
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Will the Lakers' amazing comeback against the Mavs jolt the champs back into top form?

Yes--59%

No__41%

Total Responses: 29883

From nba.com poll
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 11:05 AM   #261
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Actually, I want to see the Lakers at or close to top form--it will make for a much more interesting season with much better conference championship matchup possibilities.

Plus, if the Mavericks are going to beat the Lakers, I wouldn't want to see it be some festering carcass of a team--that couldn't possibly be too satisfying, could it? I want to see the Mavs be the best, beating the best. I wouldn't want to see them relying on a hobbled Lakers team, or an indicted Kings team, or an incarcerated Blazers team, or....whatever.

A championship trophy is going to be a little tarnished if the Mavs win it by other teams' atrophy instead of warrior-hearted effort and nut-cracking defense by the Mavs.

Cuban to Nellie: &quot;I'm counting on a trophy this season.&quot;

Nellie: &quot;I'm counting on atrophy too.&quot;
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 11:24 AM   #262
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< I don't think anyone is blaming Fin, at least not on this board. >>

There is only one person to blame and it's the whole team and the coaching staff. They all choked this game big time, just like Nick said. I expect some very deep soul-searching needs to go on here and if done correctly COULD(I say COULD) become something better.

They completely forgot what got them here last night, solid defense. We have been talking about their defense and not putting people on the ground, they'd better go about fixing that. Nellie had better not sit back and revel in his offensive &quot;genious&quot; or his butt will be out in the second round again and he might as well retire.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 11:26 AM   #263
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a quote from an LA Paper that I hope Nellie and Dirk read over and over again. It's talking about Kobe last night.

&quot;He didn't care how many Mavericks were in front of him or how tall they were, he was going to the hoop. He scored 21 of his 27 points in the fourth quarter, making all eight of his shots.&quot;

That is what we need out of dirk in these situations. PERIOD!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 12:04 PM   #264
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, should have clarified that it wasn't this board that was using Finley for the reason we lost last night.

I was dumb enough to go over to 2 other boards and it was pretty heavy with why Fin took the last shot when he wasn't hitting anything.

I was just amazed that people actually thought that play was for him instead of Dirk or NVE if Nash couldn't get a layup or foul. That's the only reason I could handle watching that last play. It was sickening.