Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-18-2003, 07:46 AM   #321
Gator Mike

Gator Mike is on a distinguished road
Default RE:'Walker returns to Boston' Mavs/Celts GAMEDAY Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by: V
103 pts should beat the effin Celtics
Why? They've been AVERAGING 103 points per game since the start of December. They don't have a second option that consistently scores, but they have a lot of guys on that team who CAN step up and score 15-20 points on any given night.

Gator Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2003, 08:15 AM   #322
minkbarn

minkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Gator Mike
Quote:
Originally posted by: V
103 pts should beat the effin Celtics
Why? They've been AVERAGING 103 points per game since the start of December. They don't have a second option that consistently scores, but they have a lot of guys on that team who CAN step up and score 15-20 points on any given night.

The Celtics have led the league in scoring in December at over 105 per game. Big performance from vet Walter McCarty. Jiri's new career high won't last long. He's been gaining confidence game by game.

Someone mentioned the Celtics don't have a second scorer. That's no longer true. He only had 8 last night, but Ricky Davis can light it up.

A great and surprising win for the Celtics over a powerful team they hadn't beaten in years. As a Celtic fan, we really needed this one. Our board deficiencies once again so visible last night, should be helped first by Chris Mihm, and later by rookie Kendrick Perkins, the former Texas high schooler, who is as they say, a load.

wooooohooooo! (forgive me, I couldn't help it.)

minkbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 09:44 AM   #323
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I'm with LRB on this one--the Mavs played pretty well and lost to a Boston team who shot the ball great, especially from the three-point line.

Look at what the Mavs had left tonight by the fourth quarter:

Out for the game: Finley and Bradley
Hurt and shouldn't have been playing: Dirk and Eddie
Rookies: Howard and Daniels
Reserve point guards: Delk and Best
Exhausted: Fortson
Off because of a big emotional night: Walker

Should have been playing in the Fourth Quarter: Nash and Jamison

The Mavs had only poor choices when it came to fielding five guys. They still battled hard and almost won.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:00 AM   #324
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
I'm with LRB on this one--the Mavs played pretty well and lost to a Boston team who shot the ball great, especially from the three-point line.

Look at what the Mavs had left tonight by the fourth quarter:

Out for the game: Finley and Bradley
Hurt and shouldn't have been playing: Dirk and Eddie
Rookies: Howard and Daniels
Reserve point guards: Delk and Best
Exhausted: Fortson
Off because of a big emotional night: Walker

Should have been playing in the Fourth Quarter: Nash and Jamison

The Mavs had only poor choices when it came to fielding five guys. They still battled hard and almost won.

I have just one question....and who exactly is the GM?
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:08 PM   #325
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

i think ainge decided that putting together an offensive juggernaut like the mavericks would give them a better chance of competing with the west as opposed to a team that plays D and struggles to score but can't beat anybody out west
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:49 PM   #326
minkbarn

minkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
i think ainge decided that putting together an offensive juggernaut like the mavericks would give them a better chance of competing with the west as opposed to a team that plays D and struggles to score but can't beat anybody out west

The Mavs would be a good pattern to follow. Actually I think both club's philosophies share their genesis in the 60s and 70s Celtic's offenses, as forged by Auerbach, Russell, and Heinsohn. That influence goes down through Ainge, and through Nelson who was a fine forward who along with Havlicek bridged the gap between the first two Celtic championship eras. Don has added his own quirky surprises to the recipe in Dallas.

minkbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:15 PM   #327
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Forget the fact that Toine' totally ignored a wide open Steve Nash over to his left, the reason we lost the game can be summed up in two words:

Walter McCarty

He had 18pts with 5-8 from downtown (he's shooting .478 from 3 this year) we forgot to guard him.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:58 PM   #328
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Quote:
I have just one question....and who exactly is the GM?
The title is Don Nelson's; the function is filled by Donnie Nelson.

I don't know any GM, however, that can adequately prepare for four injuries, especially when three of them occur to three out of the four players on the team that can play center (Bradley, Dirk & Najera).
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 02:39 PM   #329
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 'Walker returns to Boston' Mavs/Celts GAMEDAY Thread

It would require having a 15th player who happened to be over 6'6 and was a F/C that you could activate when you have injuries. I really don't know why we have the kid from Iceland on the team. Sign a big man from the NBDL or better yet sign 2 and cut Stephansson.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote