Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-29-2004, 01:56 AM   #1
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice
Default Glad Quis Is Out...

for now anyway. Don't get me wrong. I wish nothing bad for him. But..

I'm glad that Josh is getting lots of minutes right now and that he'll probably start the season. I was getting the feeling that he was becoming the odd man out, as far as Nellie was concerned, which I think is a mistake. By starting the season and playing well, it may be hard for Nellie to remove him, and I think that he is our best small forward and our best defender. If Finley has to start, then he should be at the 2, and Quis should come off the bench. They can both play 24 minutes. Stack can sub at the 3 most of the time.
Bottom line, I think Josh has the best combination of scoring, rebounding, defense, and size at the 3. Therefore, he should start.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2004, 01:59 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Glad Quis Is Out...

Howard is the only natural three of the bunch no doubt.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:04 AM   #3
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Glad Quis Is Out...

I'm definitely in favor of having Howard and Finley start at the 3 and 2. That way, Stack can bring scoring in off the bench, and Howard can sub in for either Fin or Terry, as I think he can handle either the point or the 2.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:17 AM   #4
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

You obviously meant Daniels, not Howard, in your last sentence, Pooh.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:20 AM   #5
GoMavsGo

GoMavsGo is on a distinguished road

as much as i love daniels, i think hes alittle overrated.
GoMavsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:34 AM   #6
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I'm rooting for Josh, but it's easy to say all this when we haven't seen Quis play yet this season. I hope Josh makes the most of the trust Nellie's going to be forced to show him, but I've been pretty comfortable with Quis and Fin starting together ever since we got Damp. I'm content to wait to change my mind at least until I see Marquis come back and get the necessary PT to get synched up with the other guys.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:38 AM   #7
TheBenger

TheBenger is on a distinguished road

I wish Stack wasn't on this team and that Josh and Daniels were starting and Finley was coming off the bench. I think that would work best with this roster. We need Josh's defense and rebounding and Daniels ball-handling and passing more than we need Finley's scoring.
TheBenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:38 AM   #8
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

Let's not forget how well daniels played last season. At times, he was dominant to almost anyone watching the mavs play. I like his attitude, his tools to play defense, his ability to score, and his ability to handle the ball. Now some or all of these may be overrated about him, but on the whole, he is definitely a solid player. One that I'm personally very happy to have on the mavs.
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:56 AM   #9
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

We have too many good players, and hopefully as a team and Nellie as a coach can make it work. Man I can't wait to see how we look in April.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:50 AM   #10
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

you don't want Stackhouse on this team? a guy who nearly averaged 30 ppg one season?

and you want Finley on the bench? the heart and soul of this team?

keep your helmet on at all times, guy
Old 10-29-2004, 12:39 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: TheBenger
We need Josh's defense and rebounding and Daniels ball-handling and passing more than we need Finley's scoring.

[img]i/expressions/anim_laugh.gif[/img]

As far as this teams scoring goes I know Dirk and Fin can score efficiently. Outside of those two I have a bunch of questions i'd like answered because I know we have a bunch of guys that can score on this team but at what percentage?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 01:28 PM   #12
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As far as this teams scoring goes I know Dirk and Fin can score efficiently. Outside of those two I have a bunch of questions i'd like answered because I know we have a bunch of guys that can score on this team but at what percentage?
JT, Quis, Stack, and Damp are all comparable (or superior) to Fin in scoring efficiency, so it's not like we're short on scoring ability without him. Of course, I'm not in the group that's calling for Fin to be benched because it's not just about how many shots, it about what kind of shots, and if Fin can maintain last year's percentages he's our best three point shooter by solid margin. I don't want him on the floor for his scoring, per se. I want him on the floor for his shooting.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:43 PM   #13
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

oh no, Stack is definately NOT. He has the worst fg% on the team, and he shoots 3s worse tha Walker, but still jacks them up at a similar rate.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:55 PM   #14
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
oh no, Stack is definately NOT. He has the worst fg% on the team, and he shoots 3s worse tha Walker, but still jacks them up at a similar rate.
Uh, yes. He definitely IS. For their careers, Fin has a true shooting percentage of 52.7%, as comarpared to 52.5% for Stack.

And btw. You're wrong on the Stack/Toine bit, too. For his career 19.2% of Stack's scoring attempts have come on three pointers. By comparison, 24.3% of Walker's scoring attempts have been three-pointers. To put it in further perspective, in Toine's last non-Maverick year 34.6% of his scoring attempts were three-pointers. In that same year, Stack's last healthy year (02/03), only 17.1% of Stack's scoring attempts came on three-pointers.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:56 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
JT, Quis, Stack, and Damp are all comparable (or superior) to Fin in scoring efficiency, so it's not like we're short on scoring ability without him. Of course, I'm not in the group that's calling for Fin to be benched because it's not just about how many shots, it about what kind of shots, and if Fin can maintain last year's percentages he's our best three point shooter by solid margin. I don't want him on the floor for his scoring, per se. I want him on the floor for his shooting.

I'm referring to field goal percentage. Not including their free throw shooting percentages.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 01:04 PM   #16
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm referring to field goal percentage. Not including their free throw shooting percentages.
It doesn't really matter to me whether you want to include their free throw production or not. The fact is that it's a major determiner of a players offensive efficiency and when you take it into account there's only one guy on the team who's efficiency is so high that we can't replace him and that's Dirk.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:18 PM   #17
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I agree, I wish Stack wasn't here.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 05:14 PM   #18
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

I dont mind stack. if he has a decent season we may wana trade him for nene to play backup PF