Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-03-2003, 12:09 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default A tip for Mavs fans: Watch the low post

A tip for Mavs fans: Watch the low post
Yes, those were Mavs playing with their backs to the basket

Sunday, November 2, 2003
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

For those fans who lost track of a couple of Mavericks in the home opener Saturday, there's a simple explanation.

There is a spot on the court that viewers have rarely had to zero in on during Mavericks games. It's called the low post, and it's been mostly ignored, if not flat-out despised, by most of the Mavericks.

Here's a tip: get used to watching it more closely.

Inside out has never been Don Nelson's preference. Mostly, it's been by necessity that he has emphasized shooting from the perimeter on teams he has coached. The personnel always seemed to fit that style.

And rest assured, the Mavericks still will shoot jump shots more than anything else.

But Antoine Walker, Antawn Jamison and, yes, even Dirk Nowitzki spent enough time with their backs to the basket against Utah to give the Mavericks a different look, one that Nelson plans to expand as the team comes together over time.

"We have two players in Antoine and Dirk who can do some pretty good things down there," Nelson said. "We should be able to run some things inside through them. And with Jamison coming off the bench, he can do some of those things, too. It's kind of intriguing, and the more we play together, the more we'll go to that."

The best aspect of a low-post presence is that it opens up the perimeter even more for the shooters. Tony Delk benefited on Saturday as the Jazz left him alone at the 3-point line, and he made them pay with 22 points.

The Mavericks woke up Sunday with a 2-1 record, and nobody on their team ranked among the top 10 scorers in the NBA. Only two, Nowitzki and Walker, were among the top 50.

Maybe this committee of stars has a chance to work after all.

At the very least, the Mavericks are learning that their options are more plentiful with this team than last season, when Nowitzki, Michael Finley and/or Steve Nash had to produce big numbers or the Mavericks had virtually no chance of winning. There were many times when Nelson said he had to have two of the Big Three rolling for the Mavericks to be competitive.

Nowitzki scored only 15 points Saturday in the blowout win against Utah. Last season, he had 15 points or fewer just eight times, and the Mavericks were 5-3 in those games. Though it's still frightfully early in the season, you get the feeling that the Mavericks have a chance to have a much better winning percentage this year when Nowitzki has a low-scoring night.

Walker has particular potential to revamp the Mavericks' look. By the time he and his teammates get comfortable with each other, Nelson envisions the offense going through the 6-9 forward on the low post. But it won't be the slowdown, back it in, hope for a defensive 3-second violation sort of low-post attack. That went out of style when Charles Barkley retired.

But with a steady stream of cutters going on the baseline and through the paint, Walker has the passing ability to make a low-post tactic work.

"I love the way Antoine passes out of the post," Nelson said. "He's just a good basketball player with very good passing instincts."

Which means the Mavericks will get acquainted with a piece of the court that was previously unfamiliar to them.

Briefly ...

Swingman Josh Howard said Sunday he won't play against the Miami Heat on Monday night. Howard missed Saturday's game with a sprained ankle. Howard said he was waiting for more test results to see if the damage is any worse than a sprain. "Just to be safe, I'll sit out," Howard said. He said he hopes to play on the three-game road trip that starts Wednesday at Washington. ... Don Nelson said he's seen improvement in Shawn Bradley's mobility and stamina, enough that Nelson said, "we think he can play in an NBA game now." Bradley had six points and six rebounds in 10 minutes against Utah, and Nelson said he may play him more minutes against the Heat.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:13 AM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:A tip for Mavs fans: Watch the low post

Let's hope that Nellie stays true to his word.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:22 AM   #3
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road

Just remember though, he isn't saying the Mavs are going to be a half-court team now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 12:24 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

you obviously run when you can
but, hopefully the mavs won't have some of the same struggles in half court when their jumpers aren't falling as they have the past few years..especially when nellie was under utilizing dirk in the low blocks
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 12:37 AM   #5
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Quote:
especially when nellie was under utilizing dirk in the low blocks
Also try to remember that this game isn't played 1 on 5. The Mavs aren't the San Antonio Spurs. lol
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
Old 11-03-2003, 12:39 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also try to remember that this game isn't played 1 on 5. The Mavs aren't the San Antonio Spurs. lol
I don't think anyone was implying that it was

Just because dirk is utilized in the post more doesn't mean that anyone else would necessarily get less looks...

edit to add:

I'm not going to ruin a thread just to argue with you over this.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 01:06 AM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: A tip for Mavs fans: Watch the low post

I know Murph. It will be so much easier for the Mavs this year and that's why I'm hoping Nelson has the guys moving without the ball a lot more. Enough with having guys parked in the corners all the time.

Walker or Dirk will find those guys. Walker has already shown he can find Finley and Dirk with ease. Last year, Dirk was always hitting a cutting Raef and Najera.

Old 11-03-2003, 01:51 AM   #8
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Nowitzki should have been utilized in the low-post last year much more than he was. His game is as unstoppable as Duncan's under the basket, even though it looks like he is about to lose his balance every time he makes a move there. Only time I remember him getting stopped down there was on the double team when he was backing down a defender and someone came from the weakside and stole the ball. Other than that, I don't think he can be stopped down there, he has so many moves.

With so many scorers, even if his passing hasn't improved much, there should be easier passes for him, since virtually everywhere he looks there'll be someone waiting to shoot from the outside.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:18 AM   #9
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

Did you get a new alias Murphy? Bernardos?
Old 11-03-2003, 04:39 AM   #10
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: bernardos70
Nowitzki should have been utilized in the low-post last year much more than he was. His game is as unstoppable as Duncan's under the basket, even though it looks like he is about to lose his balance every time he makes a move there.
I would love to see Dirk in the low-post as much as anyone on this board, but to say that Dirk is as unstoppable as Duncan under the basket is hyperbole. Dirk is good, but Duncan is one of the best in the league and of all time in the low-post. Dirk is nowhere close to that. But Dirk can do as well against the generally smaller defenders who can guards him on the perimeter. Dirk's advantage over Duncan is his phenominal shooting ability and superior driving ability. If Dirk get's a big post defender on him, then he can take the man on the perimeter and burn him all day long through wide open shots or drives by him when he comes out to guard Dirk. But no way is Dirk as good in the low-post as Duncan against the same low-post defenders that Duncan faces.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:37 AM   #11
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so maybe I exhaggerated, what I meant really was that I think Dirk's first move to the basket is pretty unstoppable, however, duncan will just pretty much physically abuse anyone who thinks he will possibly get the ball after his miss and put it back in most of the time. So, that's what I was trying to say, rarely do you see dirk getting denied while on the low-post, so if he can get that first shot on target it's money all night.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2003, 09:11 AM   #12
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Dirk looks scary in that picture. If Dirk can add a decent lowpost game, the Mavs will be even harder to stop. With a lowposting Dirk, he will always command a double team. That frees up the other shooters. Pick your poison. By playing closer to the basket, Dirk will get more rebounds as well.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:32 AM   #13
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Huh? Did I miss something? I'm new here, can you tell?
Old 11-03-2003, 02:39 AM   #14
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

You sound just like Murphy Bernardos. He was saying that if Dirk's development hadn't been stunted and he had been put in the low-post more we could have our very own Tim Duncan.... but I argued that I would rather have Dirk the way he is than another Tim Duncan.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:41 AM   #15
bernardos70
Diamond Member

I agree with that, Dirk is Dirk, the most unique player in the NBA IMHO.... Duncan can't hit the three. Dirk is the Mavericks and the Mavericks are Dirk, if I was asked whether I would trade dirk for duncan, I wouldn't do it. Duncan would most definitely win the Mavericks a championship, but without Dirk, are the Mavericks really the Mavericks?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2003, 03:00 AM   #16
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

I would like to see Dirk develop a low post game. If he needs to bulk up a little that's fine. If he just makes sure that shooting touch is just as good as its been for a while, Dirk will be the second best PF in the league next to KG and behind TD. A low post game usually translates to more rebounds and better defense. It's not a coincidence that the Mavs are considered a relatively mediocre defensive team when their main man, Dirk, isn't nearly as aggressive as guys like TD, KG, Webber, Shaq, or even shorter guys like Amare or Martin.
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:23 AM   #17
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life is on a distinguished road

I agree, the Mavs need to keep posting up Walker and Nowitzki. They have the capability getting extra points and assists when dishing out to the open man. If they continue to work on their post-game, it'll be even harder to stop the Mavs!
Old 11-03-2003, 12:09 PM   #18
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
A tip for Mavs fans: Watch the low post
I haven't had time for watch anything else but the low post. Just compare the points in the paint numbers of last season and this season's. This team is other team.

Thanks, Cuban, for bringing on Jamison and Walker!

This team is the Mavs team that I have enjoyed to watch more in 4 years.

Edit: Not to mention that Daniels and Howard like the paint too, and that Finley is trying it more as well.

Old 11-03-2003, 01:18 PM   #19
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

If dirk and walker posting up this way, this team is going to be practically unstoppable on the offensive end. Dirk and Walker look for the high percentage shot, and if it's not there, kick it out to the open man for an uncontested jumper. Even if the jumpers aren't going in, odds are someone will be there for the offensive boards.
I think we'll see fin go to the hole a lot more this year too. Good players like finley will be able to find the shots, and he'll get his share by cutting to the basket instead of just waiting outside the arc looking for his jump shot.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:12 PM   #20
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Everyone is pretty much reiterating the point that we now have a low post option. It doesn't mean we're going to be primarily a low post team, but it does mean we have more than just our 3-point shots to rely on for each offensive set.

Some things to watch this year, therefore are:
1) Increase points in the paint (duh, more post-ups mean more points in the paint).
2) Increase in offensive rebounds (as more shots are taken in the paint, more people can crash the boards).
3) Increase in assists from the forward postion (not just from Walker, but from Dirk as he learns to pass by Walker's example).
4) Increase in the number of wide-open 3's (from the aforementioned inside-outside game).

It's gonna be a great year!
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:51 PM   #21
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Yes, sir! It's gonna be a great year, Psych and kingrex.

At last real basketball, tall ball, hard ball, not softies nor shorts anymore. A lot of options, a lot of schemes, a lot of talent, even from the rookies.

(And you didn't mention the defensive rebounding, a big plus)

Low post anyone?

Old 11-03-2003, 11:00 PM   #22
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

After 4 games, scoring in the paint looks very good. Here are the numbers:

Opponents: Pts. in Paint/Total Pct.

vs. LAL: 34/93 (37%)
vs. GSW: 52/95 (55%)
vs. UTH 58/127 (46%)
vs. MIA 34/103 (33%)

Totals: 178/418 (43%)

43% seems pretty good to me. But, by contrast, we scored 42% of our points in the paint after 4 games last season (I was a bit surprised by that, but we played some of our best ball at the start of the season last year). After their 3 wins this season, the Lakers are hitting 43% of their shots in the paint as well.

These are very limited samples from which to take any conclusions, but collecting these stats is pretty time consuming. Maybe there is a web-site that tracks points-in-the-paint percentage on the year?
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote