Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-10-2004, 01:47 AM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Official Mavs @ Seattle, April 10th gameday thread

at

Mavs Game Preview from http://www.nba.com
By Matt Pinto, Mavericks television play-by-play announcer

April 10th, 2004
The Mavericks completed a truly remarkable home stand and home roll Thursday by dismantling playoff hopeful Utah 117-94 for their sixth straight triumph and five game sweep on their home floor. Now the road calls! Three of Dallas' final four regular season games will be played away from the friendly confines of American Airlines Center, beginning with Saturday's (April 10 at 2:30pm CT) matinee in Seattle. Following that collision with the Supersonics, the Mavs have Golden State in Oakland on Sunday and will conclude the season next Wednesday in Houston. Their lone remaining home game will be a biggie Tuesday versus Memphis in what could amount to a winner take all for the fifth seed in the West heading to the playoffs.

Congratulations are certainly in order for Don Nelson's '03-'04 squad as they've hit the magic 50 win mark at 50-28 and have tied the franchise record for home court regular season wins at 35. They'll have an opportunity to set a new home standard Tuesday night against the Grizzlies. But now to the order of business at hand, which is to find a way to duplicate recent home exploits and offensive explosiveness on the road to continue building momentum heading into the post season.

This will be the second meeting between the Mavericks and Sonics in five days. Dallas outscored Seattle Tuesday night 118-108 thanks to 55% shooting as a team, six players scoring in double digits led by Michael Finley's 24. The Mavs are 3-0 versus the Sonics this season, including a thrilling 118-116 buzzer beater at Key Arena on January 27. None of the previous three encounters has been easily won, but given what's on the line down the stretch for Dallas one figures it should be able to find a way to complete the four game season series sweep against a Seattle team that's been eliminated from playoff consideration, sits 35-44 overall having lost six of its last seven games.

luke ridnour

The other factor that logic indicates would tilt in the Mavericks favor is the fact that the Supersonics will use this game (as well as their final three overall) to experiment. Rookie point guard Luke Ridnour will start the final three in an open audition. Is he capable of running a NBA offense for an extended period of time as a starter? That question has no answer at present, but will shortly. If Ridnour rises to the challenge and plays lights out, that will hurt the Mavs as he's an unknown in this role. Hard to imagine that happening given his competition in this setting (Steve Nash).

Sonics starting power forward Reggie Evans is expected to miss this game while attending his grandmother's funeral in Florida, which will insert Ansu Sesay into the starting line-up. Sesay did major damage against the Mavs Tuesday night with a 19 point, 10 rebound double-double spelling the injured Rashard Lewis. Lewis is expected back from the hip and knee injury he suffered versus the Mavericks Tuesday night.

Steve Nash

What it all means is that Seattle will present the Mavericks with a more athletic starting five that, although young, figures to be very hungry on this stage. Ridnour will go head to head against Nash. Should be decisive edge-Dallas. Steve enjoys playing in Seattle as it's the closest stop to home since Vancouver lost its franchise to Memphis. Nash grew up a couple of hours north of Seattle in Victoria, British Columbia. He's played at an extraordinary level lately and could be the guy that pushes this team through on this road trip.

Rashard Lewis

Michael Finley suffered bruised ribs thanks to an elbow from Tom Gugliotta in Thursday's rout of Utah. He's expected to be ready to go here, but who knows how this ailment will impact his performance. <u>Fin's opposite number at the shooting guard spot is Sonics four-time All-Star Ray Allen. Chasing Allen off the multiple screens that are set for him on virtually every offensive set may too tall an order for Finley here</u>, Marquis Daniels may be asked to take that defensive assignment. Which would leave Fin to deal with Rashard Lewis, who will also be playing through injury.

Antoine Walker

Up front, Antoine Walker will draw the active Sesay. The key in that match-up will be 'Toine's ability to keep Sesay quiet on the offensive boards. He had SIX offensive rebounds in Dallas Tuesday night. Finally, starting center Vitaly Potapenko will have the unenviable task of chasing Dirk Nowitzki around outside. Good Luck! Nowitzki dropped a career high 43 points on the Sonics at Key Arena earlier this season. He's really elevated his game down the stretch and should have another highly productive afternoon here.

Josh Howard

Off the bench, Josh Howard and Antawn Jamison will continue to receive big minutes for the Mavericks, with Shawn Bradley, Scott Williams and Eduardo Najera sprinkled in to provide support in the middle defensively. Seattle will come with Flip Murray, Brent Barry, Calvin Booth and newly signed Leon Smith. Smith, ex of the Mavs, is expected to receive considerable playing time down the stretch for Seattle as the Sonics evaluate his abilities to contribute on this level with an eye on the future.

The Sonics identity involves spreading out opposing defenses and peppering them with three point shots. They lead the NBA in threes made and attempted, while sitting second in long range accuracy. Dallas must again make a point to get back on defense, identify shooters and contest shots. If the Mavs bring the proper emphasis in those areas they should escape Key Arena with their season sweep of Seattle and their seventh consecutive win overall. The Mavericks will score plenty against the Sonics, the key will be to keep Seattle from going crazy on their home floor offensively

------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------predictions---------------------

We need this game. With Sacramento's continued struggles and loss versus the Suns, I wouldnt be surprised if they fell from 1st to 4th by Monday. The 5th spot suddenly seems even more important.

It sounds like the Sonics are playing kids. I'd like to see our kids play theirs. Howard and Daniels should have a lot of fun.

Isnt Finley the starting 3 now? Wouldn't Daniels naturally have to defend Allen?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2004, 01:51 AM   #2
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Official Mavs @ Seattle, April 10th gameday thread

Thnaks Erica for opening this thread. Let the streak continue.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:04 AM   #3
Stitch Jones

Stitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Official Mavs @ Seattle, April 10th gameday thread

The early start makes me a bit uneasy but hey, no time for excuses now. Tomorrow afternoon, the Sonics will come to fully understand why the Mavs are where they are and the Sonics...well, aren't.

Mavs 122
Phonics 108

"Did you know that Shaq makes $20 million this season ... and another $60 million over the next three? Every Miami fan just threw up on their creepy all-white T-shirt. "
~ Simmons
Stitch Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 04:57 AM   #4
FolterKammer84

FolterKammer84 is on a distinguished road

win by 10. we wont make 120 points but about 110 will be enough !
FolterKammer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 07:48 AM   #5
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Another game related article:

Sesay ready to make his mark guarding Nowitzki
Percy Allen, Seattle Times staff reporter

The pocketknife metaphor fits Ansu Sesay.

Whatever the Sonics have needed over the past two years, he has provided.

Dutiful practice player? He did it. Occasional reserve? He was there. Defensive stopper? Yup. A point guard, shooting guard, small forward and power forward?

Yes to all four.

"Any position except center," Sesay said, smiling after yesterday's practice. "I might think I can, but really, in my heart, I know better."

Yet when the Sonics face Dallas today in a rare midday game at KeyArena, Sesay will be given the primary responsibility of slowing down 7-foot All-Star forward Dirk Nowitzki, who would have been a center in another era.

"I'm not backing down from that challenge," Sesay said. "The bigger the challenge, the better."

Others might run from the apparent mismatch, but Sesay, a starter today for the first time this season and an unrestricted free agent after its end, is seeking to make a name for himself.

"Versatile players, we tend to get overlooked in this league," said Sesay, a lanky, 6-9 forward who tied career bests with 19 points and 10 rebounds against the Mavericks on Tuesday. "If you're not shooting threes, scoring 30 points and getting 20 rebounds, they are not really noticing you.

"I'm one of those throwback players that you can't judge by just stats, but rather you've got to know basketball to know what I bring to a team." Sesay, a former MVP of the National Basketball Development League, signed a 10-day contract with the Sonics two years ago. He appeared in the final nine games of the 2001-02 season and impressed the coaching staff enough to warrant a two-year deal.

With the Sonics, he has played sparingly and has been unable to display the skills that allowed him to become the second player at Mississippi to amass 1,000 points, 600 rebounds and 200 assists.

"On one hand, I'm happy just to be here and to play at this level," Sesay said. "But on the other hand, I know I can do a whole lot more than what I'm doing."
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 09:18 AM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Way to step up, Erica.

Mavs win a shootout...

Dallas 119
Seattle 108
Old 04-10-2004, 10:07 AM   #7
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Mavs win by 22...90-112
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:23 AM   #8
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Even though on the road, Mavs will keep up their intensity and win in a fast-paced, high-scoring shootout. Mavs win 128-116
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:05 PM   #9
LoveMyMavs14

LoveMyMavs14 is on a distinguished road

This game scares the living daylights outta me.

But for my sanity, I'll predict the Mavs win a close one...

Dallas-114
Seattle-109
LoveMyMavs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:33 PM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is a scary one. With Memphis losing last night, perhaps the urgency is gone. Plus we just played this team, so maybe they have adjustments they can make.

In my mind, this game is an exact parallel to the situation we are going to face soon in Arco Arena, when we are ahead 1-0 in the first round series against the Kings. It will be an opportunity for us to slam the door...but we might get complacent.

Mavs 126
Sonics 101
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:52 PM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The perfect playoff scenario Sactown moves to 4, T-Wolves win out and the mavs grab the five on a roll.

Mavs 123- Sonics 98
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:12 PM   #12
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

I can't ignore the magic of the goddess known as EL....

Mavs down-size the Sonics by 15.

Old 04-10-2004, 02:15 PM   #13
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs win by a dozen or more. Dirk and Howard lead the way with Nash and Jamison making timely plays.

Fin had a light practice yesterday but is still sore from the bruised ribs and back spasms. I figure he'll start but will be ineffective and on the bench for most the game.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:41 PM   #14
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Finally a game that's not at like 4 am in Germany [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I hope the Mavs show us a lil something of the last games on the road, too! I'm pretty optimistic: 119-124 OT [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

S - D
28-26
31-24
17-31
33-28
10-15
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 03:13 PM   #15
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Fin won't play...he can't go...Howard gets the start.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #16
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Why not Daniels? I thought that worked fine with him in the starting spot...
Old 04-10-2004, 03:32 PM   #17
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: #41
Why not Daniels?

He's already a starter
Old 04-10-2004, 03:35 PM   #18
OutletPass
Diamond Member

They just had a great interview with Edgar Lopez the telemundo guy. What a great personality !

Can we trade Matt Pinto for Edgar, please ?

Old 04-10-2004, 03:35 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Damn, I'm sorry...
Old 04-10-2004, 03:37 PM   #20
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I was just going to say the game is on Telemundo. Pisses me off cause the one thing I understood clearly was that Finley wasn't going to play.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:48 PM   #21
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

This is not going to be an easy game for the Mavs.

7-9 in 4 minutes.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:48 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Defense???
Old 04-10-2004, 03:49 PM   #23
Chiwas
Guru

Backcourt points

Sonics 7
Mav 0
Old 04-10-2004, 03:51 PM   #24
Platinum Member

We can't buy a shot right now...
Old 04-10-2004, 03:52 PM   #25
Chiwas
Guru

9-17

Oops!
Old 04-10-2004, 03:53 PM   #26
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Mavs look awful. I just can't understand the struggles on the road.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:54 PM   #27
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I want Bradley
Old 04-10-2004, 03:55 PM   #28
Platinum Member

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2004, 03:57 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Come on Dirk!
Old 04-10-2004, 03:58 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Steve and Dirk struggling doesn't help us...
Old 04-10-2004, 03:59 PM   #31
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

Walker is our whole team's offense right now
Old 04-10-2004, 04:00 PM   #32
Chiwas
Guru

It's been very obvious that Nash does not like to play at afternoons.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:01 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Thanks to Antoine we're in this one.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:03 PM   #34
Platinum Member

but AW has 3 turnovers already...
Old 04-10-2004, 04:03 PM   #35
Chiwas
Guru

That's the point, when the Big Three, Nash and Dirk today, don't play well, Walker steps up. The bad thing is when they get used to it.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:04 PM   #36
MavsFanFinley
Guru

That's twice that Dirk has been blocked. Everyone looks a step slow. Too bad Walker has been sloppy with the ball because he's the only one where the offense has come easy.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:05 PM   #37
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Can anybody hit a shot?
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 04:07 PM   #38
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

Two of AW's 3 turnovers were when he was put in a bad position. I only think one of his turnovers was his fault.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:08 PM   #39
Chiwas
Guru

The Big Three after one quarter: 2 points. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2004, 04:08 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bookit
Can anybody hit a shot?
Dirk can't!