Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-19-2006, 02:06 AM   #41
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Not sure if your saying that tounge in cheek but I don't think that dunk in the commercial is legit.

As far as Smith's dunk, like I said, I haven't seen anyone in that contest dunk from the FT line with two hands.
Definitely tongue in cheek!
Old 02-19-2006, 02:13 AM   #42
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

His own fault, Dirno. If he wasn't going to jump from the mark, then what the hell was the tape about anyway?
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:18 AM   #43
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
It actually bothered me that Barkley was being so nice to Dirk & JT. It was really uncomfortable, I couldn't even enjoy it. I was like, whoa. What's going on? But yea for Dirk, that was excellent. Would love to know what exactly the surprise was.
Maybe Chuck realizes that the Mavericks very well could win it all this year and is back peddling now so he won't look like such an idiot if it does happen.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:21 AM   #44
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Maybe Chuck realizes that the Mavericks very well could win it all this year and is back peddling now so he won't look like such an idiot if it does happen.
Not if it happens, when it happens. I absolutley LOVE our title chances. We are going all the way this year boys!
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:22 AM   #45
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

It is unfortunate that the win was contreversial, but a win is a win. He out shot Allen, and that deserves the trophy.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:29 AM   #46
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Everybody was so hung on the mark that nobody realized how impressive Josh Smith's dunk was. He dunked from the FT line (yea I know that his heel was on the line but Dr. J's whole foot was in front of it) with two hands! I don't think that's ever been done in the history of the dunk contest.

Sure he did a horrible job of managing expectations but I'm a little suprised at how the dunk he actually executed is being minimized.
Look out that window, D2K. Look out that window.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:46 AM   #47
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

someone said it earlier... Barkley is acting all nice to get the dallas media to vote him into the H.O.F..
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:57 AM   #48
ZueriMav

ZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really nice

Congratulations Dirk, well done!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
But it was tainted.

Who cares whether it was tainted in the first round? He did it excellently at the end and won.

Btw, who cares much what happens in February? June is what we should care about...

What Dirk did, is to perfectly distribute his effort and conserve his power. Hopefully, Mavs and he will do exactly the same in June
ZueriMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:26 AM   #49
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne
Mark Cuban was commentating for the German pay tv channel "Premiere". He went nuts... But I listened to the TNT crew more of the time.
Yeah, that was really funny...when Chauncey and Q were on the line Cubes was constantly screaming CHOKE CHOKE whenever they missed. It was really refreshing to hear the genuine support for his boys...the first 10 shots in the final, Dirk was in the zone (9 out of 12 points, I think). A thing of beauty to watch his stroke...
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:40 AM   #50
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

With the way Dirk shoots, one of these days he's going to pull a Craig Hodges and make 25 or more points. You could hear the crowd stirring when he made so many on the first couple of racks. His shot is indeed a thing of beauty.

Last edited by jleefilled; 02-19-2006 at 03:43 AM.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:05 AM   #51
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

Yeah, baby! =) that was a really impressive performance! Congrats, Dirk!
Old 02-19-2006, 05:13 AM   #52
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Man, seeing that picture of Dirk hoisting up the 3-point shoot out trophy sent chills down my spine. That could very well be the Championship tophy come June baby!!

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:17 AM   #53
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
Man, seeing that picture of Dirk hoisting up the 3-point shoot out trophy sent chills down my spine. That could very well be the Championship tophy come June baby!!
funny, i had exactly the same thougt!
Old 02-19-2006, 06:18 AM   #54
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Not sure if your saying that tounge in cheek but I don't think that dunk in the commercial is legit.

As far as Smith's dunk, like I said, I haven't seen anyone in that contest dunk from the FT line with two hands.
I've seen a two handed dunk from the free throw line in a contest that included James White.

I was kind of impressed that Kenny was the only one in the TNT crew that knew about that boy. I mean James White seriously is the sickest contest dunker I've seen in a long time. HE ONCE DID A BETWEEN THE LEGS WITH HIS FOOT ON THE FREE THROW LINE!!!

But seriously that two handed dunk was really impressive and if it hadn't been for the tape, he should've gotten 50 for that one. It was kind of like last year when Anderson tried this one dunk fifteen times or so and in the end they all forgot about how difficult that one was.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #55
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Its not that crazy to know James White. He did the two handed double pump free throw line dunk in 2001 in the Highschool McDonald's Dunk Contest. He lost to David Lee however in the finals.

Josh Smith got punked for that dunk however, a 41? comeon.

Sidenote, there has been many articles written about some playground legend from California dunking from beyond the FT line numerous times.. I forgot his name however. I mean, if Brent Barry can do it from the charity stripe then theres gotta be some who can do it further =]

If Josh Smith did take off from that piece of tape (it was as far as NVE's free throw attempts), I seriously would have turned off my TV for a minute.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:52 AM   #56
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Rack 'em up: Nowitzki is 3-point champ

By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

HOUSTON – Jason Terry said the goal was to bring the Three-Point Trophy back to Dallas.

He had no idea it would be at his expense.

The Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki won the contest Saturday night, beating Washington's Gilbert Arenas and Seattle's Ray Allen in the final round. He's the tallest player in the 21 years of the competition to win the 3-point shootout.

The irony is Terry should have advanced to the final round.

Terry had 13 points in the first round. Nowitzki was sitting on 12 points with one ball – worth two points – left in the rack.

"I really don't know if I got the last one up in time or not," Nowitzki said.

He didn't. Replays showed the ball was in his hand when the clock expired. But he was awarded the two points to get the 14 he needed to advance.

Nowitzki had advanced to the finals in previous years, but in his words, "kinda choked when my arm got heavy." This time, he hit eight of his first 10 shots and finished with 18 points to beat Arenas by two and Allen by three.

And what did Terry do in the final round?

"He was rooting for me all the way," said Nowitzki, who received a $35,000 check to go with his trophy. "When the other guys were shooting in the final round, he was heckling them from behind.

"He was my fan out there, and I'm glad I won. It was good stuff."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:54 AM   #57
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

ALL-STAR NOTES

Nowitzki stands tall for 3-point shooting title

By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- Dirk Nowitzki accomplished something Saturday that had never been accomplished before in the Three-Point Shootout.

The Mavericks' five-time All-Star became the first 7-footer to win what is customarily a competition for shorter players. Nowitzki scored 18 points in the final round at the Toyota Center to beat out Seattle's Ray Allen for the 3-point title.

"Obviously this is great," Nowitzki said. "Once you're in the competition, you want to win."

Mavs point guard Jason Terry scored 13 points and did not get out of the first round. But he assisted Nowitzki in the final round.

"Before we started we said we would love to bring the trophy to Dallas -- either one of us," Nowitzki said. "He was rooting for me all the way.

"And he was actually -- when the guys were shooting in the final round and he was out -- he was heckling them from behind. He was my fan out there, and I'm glad I won."

Robinson lands the dunk

Nate Robinson, the 5-9 rookie guard from the New York Knicks, wowed the crowd by winning the slam dunk title.

In a dunk-off, Robinson edged Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala 47-46 for the championship. Both players scored 94 in the second round, with Robinson getting a perfect 50 by jumping over 1985 slam dunk champ Spud Webb.

Wade has skills

Dwyane Wade won the Skills Challenge in near-record time.

The Miami Heat guard finished the event in 26.1 seconds, barely missing the record of 25.8 seconds set last year by Phoenix point guard Steve Nash.

Cleveland's LeBron James came in second place in 33.7 seconds, while Nash -- the favorite in this event -- surprised everyone by finishing dead-last in 52.8 seconds.

The failures by Nash -- normally a sure-shot -- occurred when he uncharacteristically missed all five of his jumpshots.

Shooting Stars

San Antonio Spurs point guard Tony Parker, former Spurs guard Steve Kerr and Kendra Wecker of the WNBA's San Antonio Silver Stars combined to capture the Shooting Stars competition in a record 25.1 seconds.

The trio was buoyed by Parker, who made a halfcourt shot on the team's first attempt.

Johnson plans on smiling

One thing Mavericks coach Avery Johnson will do today is smile more.

Known for having a scowl on his face, Johnson -- who is coaching the Western Conference All-Stars -- had some fun with Houston's Tracy McGrady after the talented forward missed a few shots in a row during Saturday's practice.

"Hey, T-Mac," Johnson shouted, while laughing. "You never missed when the Mavericks played the Rockets. Why are you missing today?"

Carter to start

Eastern Conference coach Flip Saunders said Vince Carter will start for his team at one of the forward spots in place of the injured Jermaine O'Neal in today's All-Star game.

O'Neal was voted in by the fans as a starter, but won't play because of injuries.

Also, Saunders said when he brings in his own four Detroit Pistons players off the bench, he plans on bringing them all in at the same time. That means the West will have to deal with Pistons players Ben Wallace, Richard Hamilton, Chauncey Billups and Rasheed Wallace all at once.

Briefly

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and TNT analyst Charles Barkley exchanged pleasantries before Saturday's events. Barkley reminded Cuban that he likes the Mavs, and added that they need to rebound and play better defense if they want to win an NBA title.

On a pre-game show Saturday on NBA TV, former NBA center Dolph Schayes said Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki should win the league's Most Valuable Player award this year "if Dallas wins the championship or comes close."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #58
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

How much freakin' defense and rebounding do we need before Chuck realizes he needs a new schtick? I guess we'll just have to "prove it in the playoffs."
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:51 AM   #59
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even know what "prove it in the playoffs" means in feburary.

Well sure, we have to "prove it in the playoffs" or we won't "win the championship". Sheesh what a lame mantra.

San Antonio, Detroit also have to "prove it in the playoffs". They have to prove they can stop the mavs and score against them. San Antonion in particular has to prove it can "actually keep from getting beat by detrioit like a drum" if they meet in the playoffs.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 02-19-2006 at 10:52 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #60
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Dirno i completely agree about the smith thing. On the greatest dunk ever thing they picked the wrong vince dunk. The windmill 360 the wrong way was the best dunk contest dunk. The guy from the and 1 thing does the kiss the rim dunk better than jordan did. As for the contest this year ai just flat out got robbed. If they counted off for Birdman missing so many last year why didnt they count off for robinson who missed more than he did? And since when does a between the legs dunk count as an 8??? Im talking about Ais last dunk before the dunkoff. He got 2 8s. That is straight up bs. Nate was ok but he wasnt that great. Ai should have won without question.

Happy for dirk in the 3pt shootout. This does further proof the chuckster doesnt watch mavs games though. He kept going on about how jet is a scorer and not a shooter. That applies to arenas but Jet? He is very much a shooter.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 02-19-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #61
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

After watching the festivities last night, I realize one thing...They should junk the entire All-Star weekend and start over from ground zero. The pre competition trash was simply embarrassing. I was watching it with a couple of people that really don't follow pro-basketball and they simply laughed at how terrible it was...

And the slam dunk contest... that was nothing short of pathetic. I can't believe that I actually sat through the entire thing. Next year, I hope that all involved in the slam dunk contest break their ankles... They deserve it for being involved in such an abortion of an event.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #62
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

ok, murph...

i actually thought the dunk contest was more entertaining this year than it has been in years.

3-ball absolutely needs to go. that is HORRIBLE.

skills competition is ok. nothing special.

dirno, i am with you on smith's dunk. i was thinking the same thing watching last night. a two-handed dunk from the free-throw line (i think he double-clutched it, too) is VERY impressive. he just made a HUGE mistake with the tape. it made no sense, and set expectations for something else. but that shouldn't take away from the dunk he actually did. a 41? comical.

as for nate vs. the birdman... the difference is that nate actually had the crowd behind him, anderson didn't, so birdman's continuous attempts were comedic. nate's continuous attempts actually showed how good of an athlete he is. that has got to be tiring.

plus, even when nate missed, you could tell from the attempt that the dunk would be good if he made it. just like AI's sick behind-the-backboard dunk. you knew what he was doing before he actually completed it. with anderson, the dunk he was attempting didn't look like it would be good, so the crow had loooooooooooow expectations.

anyone that remotely follows college basketball should know james white, by the way.

I would hope all the winners of these things would donate the prize to charity. if anyone hears what dirk donates to, let me know.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 02-19-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:22 PM   #63
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a good question...If slams were only worth one point in a game, do you think it would significantly reduce the number of slams in a game? Think about people needing to see themselves on SportsCenter before answering...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:25 PM   #64
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The dunk it took Anderson forever to do was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the one it took nate so long to do. Anderson bounced the ball of the backboard and he took off from about 6 inches inside of where smith took off this year and 2 hand dunked. Possibly the HARDEST dunk i have ever seen anyone try. If anyone still has that tivoed or can get it off the internet watch where he jumps from when he makes it and it should be more tiring to jump at his size then for nate.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #65
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

obviously you don't even remember it. anderson was throwing a high lob from just past half court, no backboard involved. he took off from farther than nate, granted, but the guy is also 6'10" and has a much longer reach. plus, you just got ZERO vibe from his attempts that the dunk would be something good.

here's the link, with some great benny hill music accompanying it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IG1F...birdman%20dunk

on nate's misses, he was at least attempting to go between his legs or windmill it.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 02-19-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #66
Five-ofan
Guru

Default Ok

Ok so i was wrong about how he threw it(i havent seen it in a year) but mainly i remember where he took off from and whether he is 6 10 or not it is a harder dunk. There should probably be a SLIGHT height norming effect on the scoring but it the guy is short oh well he is in the dunk contest so it shouldnt work against the taller guys. Basically i just think that is stupid.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #67
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

if nate were just dunking it with no added flair, you would have a point. it'd be impressive that a guy that short could dunk, but if there's nothing special about it, he shouldn't win.

HOWEVER, the guys is 5'7" AT BEST and dunking between the legs, windmilling, dunking OVER people. that is a hell of a lot more impressive than a 6'10" guy dunking with two hands, albeit a little farther out.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:16 PM   #68
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Here's a good question...If slams were only worth one point in a game, do you think it would significantly reduce the number of slams in a game? Think about people needing to see themselves on SportsCenter before answering...
That would be one of the biggest mistakes in pro sports. Fans want to see flashy plays like dunks and dunks are exclamation plays. They get a point across is a game is ever in question. To try to take away dunks would make basketball much less competitive and entertaining IMO.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #69
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

5-0, are you thinking of Andersen's dunk from his first year in the competition? I feel like I remember him doing something like that the first time, when he should have made the finals IMO, that was very much like what you're describing, and just impressed the hell out of me. I remember the finish being more powerful than the one from the last year.

And as long as I'm thinking about it, one of my favorite, "why doesn't that dunk get talked about more?" examples was Desmond Mason's leaner the year he went up against Jason Richardson. It was poetry in the air.

As for the three-point contest, congrats Dirk. First-round controversy aside, he went out there and earned it fair and square in the final. Plus, lets be honest here, god's a mavs' fan, and there's no way that trophy was going to be headed to any other city.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:44 PM   #70
cchen39

cchen39 is on a distinguished road

Actually Vince Carter did the two-handed dunk from the FT line at Oakland in I believe 2000 or 2001.

Congrats to Dirk being the 3 point champ. I couldnt believe the butt kissing Chuck did when Dirk was shooting. I had to double check to see if my TV was tuned to the right channel.

As for the Dunk contest, they should of kept the old rule where each player gets ONE missed dunk replaced. If they missed the second time then its counted as a dunk. I thought AIv2 got robbed of the title. Both of his dunks in finals was just as impressive as Nates.
cchen39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #71
Five-ofan
Guru

GMC actually you are right i think i mixed the two up. In the one last year he jumped from farther out. In the one 2 years ago he did a reverse off the backboard that was the best in the competition that year and it got like a 42. I basically combined the 2 into one super dunk. Sorry i still think both were better than any of nates dunks this year though. BTW bbl one of the dunks nate did was just a flat out dunk. The second one he did in the first round was only a dunk. He caught an alley oop and spread his legs but Every single person who can dunk a basketball can do that dunk. It should have gotten a 38 at best. Couple that with the fact that he should have gotten around a 45 on the first one and he shouldnt have come close to making the second round. Nate was the WORST dunker in the first round and yet he made the finals purely because he is a midget. He did fine in the finals though iggy was still better but he should have never been there. BTW about the height thing he is clearly taller than the 5 7 spud so he might actually be 5 9. I always thought he was shorter too but he is a good 2 inches taller than spud so either spud was 5 5 or he is 5 9.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #72
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Vince wasn't even close to the free throw line...

and gmc, you are right about des mason's between the legs leaner with the left hand. that was a hell of a dunk

Contact Me
Old 02-19-2006, 04:34 PM   #73
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

whoa... i wonder what you were watching... i was thinking he was clearly the same height, if not SHORTER than spud. Especially when they hugged after the dunk.

check out the video at this link (they are both interviewd toward the end). Now, nate is ducking his head a bit, but you can tell they are veeeeeeeeeeeeerrryyyy close to the same height.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2335760

nate had good enough dunks to get into the finals over smith and warrick. neither of those two were as impressive (although we've already gone over smith's mistake). his first lob/360 dunk was really good. much better than a 45.

I forgot about AI's behind the back dunk earlier. that IS hard, and impressive (he got a 50 for that as well, i believe). but his other dunks (aside from the the one i just mentioned and his amazing behind the backboard dunk) were ones we'd seen from desmond mason and jason richardson in the past. of course the same could be said for nate's dunks (we've seen a between-the-legs and jumping over someone), but they were more impressive because of his size. as much as someone wants to say it, size DOES play a part.

I do agree about anderson's dunk in his first year competing. i remember it being the best dunk of the contest, and that he got robbed. but last year's showing was a joke.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:51 PM   #74
Five-ofan
Guru

Maybe it depends on the angle but on tv last night he looked taller than Spud. Oh well. Smith was clearly better in the first round though honestly he brought it on himself so i dont mind. As for his first dunk it was about a 270 degree turn that he caught in the air. He was already turning before he jumped. Yeah it was kinda nice because he was short but it wasnt much and his second dunk was the worst dunk i have seen someone do in a dunk contest. Well since fin was in it. I just dont think he should get that HUGE of an advantage for being short. As to anderson's showing last year it was only bad because he missed alot and nate missed MORE than he did.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:32 PM   #75
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
GMC actually you are right i think i mixed the two up. In the one last year he jumped from farther out. In the one 2 years ago he did a reverse off the backboard that was the best in the competition that year and it got like a 42. I basically combined the 2 into one super dunk. Sorry i still think both were better than any of nates dunks this year though. BTW bbl one of the dunks nate did was just a flat out dunk. The second one he did in the first round was only a dunk. He caught an alley oop and spread his legs but Every single person who can dunk a basketball can do that dunk. It should have gotten a 38 at best. Couple that with the fact that he should have gotten around a 45 on the first one and he shouldnt have come close to making the second round. Nate was the WORST dunker in the first round and yet he made the finals purely because he is a midget. He did fine in the finals though iggy was still better but he should have never been there. BTW about the height thing he is clearly taller than the 5 7 spud so he might actually be 5 9. I always thought he was shorter too but he is a good 2 inches taller than spud so either spud was 5 5 or he is 5 9.
Even if he is 5'9'' (what I don't believe), he would still be 1'1'' shorter than Anderson, and then think of the far shorter arms.

I loved the Anderson dunk in his first contest. He surely got robbed back then, but what lil' Robinson showed us last night was better in any way. Just think of how much higher he had to jump! Arms shorter, legs shorter, upper body shorter.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:38 PM   #76
Five-ofan
Guru

He always weighs a good bit less i would bet which makes it easier to jump. Trust me on this one. I weighed 215 in high school and could dunk with relative ease except i cant palm a ball. i weigh 245 now and its pretty difficult to get high enough to do anything other than barely dunk. (no im not fat just filled out after high school im still in relatively good shape.) Is it impressive that the midget can dunk? Yeah but i honestly think that should be a tie breaker or actually just a little bit of a help but not the HUGE difference it turned into last night. My fault for turning it into an anderson vs Nate debate i just used that because they didnt take off for nate taking an eternity but they did for Anderson when both missed alot because they tried difficulult dunks. AI still got robbed last night but its not a big deal. Relatively entertaining. Speaking of getting robbed JR smith got screwed last year with i believe a 44 on the behind the back thing.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #77
Steel_01

Steel_01 is on a distinguished road
Great picture at the top! Congrats to Dirk, he did a great job. Is this a sign of other things to come to Dallas???
Steel_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:26 PM   #78
alby
Guru

watching the 2003 Allstar game on TV right now, did you guys realize Dirk scored 9 points in less than 2 minutes in the second quarteR?

Contact Me
Old 02-20-2006, 12:12 AM   #79
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yes, JR smith was the first to do the behind the back dunk, and got robbed on that one.

the problem isn't with the dunkers (IMO, you can make an argument for both AI and Nate to win), it's with the judges. rudy T is judging a dunk contest? just have former competitors judge. i don't think kenny walker is doing anything these days...
Old 02-20-2006, 01:12 AM   #80
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I thought the All Star Weekend was great. Especially Saturday night. A 7 footer tops all favorites to win the 3 point shootout. The dunk competition was great. Nate took 14 attempts to complete one dunk but it didn't even bother me. I was cheering for the guy. Though i'm 6'3 i'm sure Nate made every in the 5'9 range very happy last night. BTW, that guy is not 5'9. If Spud Webb is 5'7 than Nate Robinson must be 5'6 or 5'5. Just amazing what he can do at his size. Spud Webb was great in his own right but he has nothing on Nate. Nate is jumping over guys and doing 360 dunks. Just amazing. I'm anticipating next year's slam dunk. The only thing I have a problem with is the age limit. If you're 30 years old you should still be able to participate in the slam dunk. But I guess this is to showcase the young guns around the league and I have no problem with that. I knew Nate could jump but I really underrated his legs going in. I thought Iguodala was a lock.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirk