Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gilbert Arenas

Have you guys read his blog?

His goal is to make 100,000 jumpshots in 73 days over the summer.
(That's 1370 made jumpshots a day)

So far, he is at 19,570

What a player.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 08-01-2007 at 02:09 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Yawn.. he's more worried about being an EA Sports coverboy than he is an NBA champion..
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom
Yawn.. he's more worried about being an EA Sports coverboy than he is an NBA champion..
Agree. His antics do not impress me.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

did you guys see that video where he bets like 10 large on making 100 one handed college 3 pointers?

Last edited by MavsX; 08-01-2007 at 05:31 PM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the guy is amazing and quite a character.

very confident
very eccentric

but who do you know sets a goal of 1500 made jump shots a day?

I love his attitude

Contact Me
Old 08-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Yeah, the guy is amazing and quite a character.

very confident
very eccentric

but who do you know sets a goal of 1500 made jump shots a day?

I love his attitude

There could very well be 50 players in the league that set that goal.. however, they don't all yap about it in their blogs. The guy cares about one thing only: scoring titles. That's why the Wiz are never going to be any good. I'd argue he might only be the third best all-around player ON HIS OWN TEAM.

I'd prefer the reserved classiness of Dirk, who you KNOW is going to be improving his game to very little media hype. He actually works with a COACH (imagine that) and PLAYS BASKETBALL during the offseason. I'm pretty sure the last time Arenas even tried playing during the offseason, he got cut from the team.

Bottom line, the guy is all about image and publicity. That's great for his ego and it gets him a lot of headlines, but on the court, the guy is a low-IQ chucker, and he's never going to achieve a thing in his career unless he learns to play a team game.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Also from the blog:

There Are No Such Thing as Shark Attacks
I know this is random, but I just want to clear this up for people out there.

There are these things called shark attacks, but there is no such thing as a shark attack. I have never seen a real shark attack.

I know you’re making a weird face as you’re reading this. OK people, a shark attack is not what we see on TV and what people portray it as.

We’re humans. We live on land.

Sharks live in water.

So if you’re swimming in the water and a shark bites you, that’s called trespassing. That is called trespassing. That is not a shark attack.

A shark attack is if you’re chilling at home, sitting on your couch, and a shark comes in and bites you; now that’s a shark attack. Now, if you’re chilling in the water, that is called invasion of space. So I have never heard of a shark attack.

When I see on the news where it’s like, “There have been 10 shark attacks,” I’m like, “Hey, for real?! They’re just running around? Sharks are walking now, huh! We live on the land, we don’t live underwater.”

I love Gilbert.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Candygram!
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #9
alby
Guru

haha he's hilarious.. his blog is always a good read

Contact Me
Old 08-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Funny guy... I would never want him on this Mavs team though.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #11
spreedom
Diamond Member

Coming soon to a blog near you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert Arenas
I'm eccentric! Vote for me for the All Star Game!

Last edited by spreedom; 08-01-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:13 AM   #12
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

just shut the f*** up, spreedom

your diatribe is worse than anything I've ever heard out of Gilbert's mouth.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:58 AM   #13
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithXx
just shut the f*** up, spreedom

your diatribe is worse than anything I've ever heard out of Gilbert's mouth.

Your "diatribe" gets a big *yawn* out of me. I don't like Arenas. Stop crying and live with it.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:47 AM   #14
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Agree. His antics do not impress me.

Me neither. Typical showings from a typical type of player. ZzZzzzZzZzzZzZzz

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #15
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Gilbert is the man. Funny, competitivve, willing to do whatever to win. The guy basically had to fight for this whole thing, getting drafted in the second round. I love the guy and he's a great fantasy player.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #16
alby
Guru

If he was healthy, Lebron wouldn't have been in the finals last year

Contact Me
Old 08-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #17
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

And Arenas would have been? Please. The man has developed a nice individual offensive game but other than that I don't see whats so great about him as a player, he doesn't know how to utilize his team, he doesn't know the meaning of the word pass. And on top of that he's an attention whore, it's great he's competitive and all... but if your in the NBA and your NOT competitive you won't get very far. Guys like Dirk and Duncan are clearly competitive but they just don't advertise it.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #18
alby
Guru

No, Arenas wouldn't have been.

Contact Me
Old 08-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #19
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
There could very well be 50 players in the league that set that goal.. however, they don't all yap about it in their blogs. The guy cares about one thing only: scoring titles. That's why the Wiz are never going to be any good. I'd argue he might only be the third best all-around player ON HIS OWN TEAM.
You seem like you just have hate for the guy. I see no problem with a basketball player setting personal goals for himself. In the long run all it does is help his team out. And its in his blog. He's not going on ESPN talking about it he's talking about it on his blog where his fans will see it. The third best all around player on the Wiz? What? Who the hell is even in contention for that? Butler can't pass as well as Arenas. Jamison can't play defense or rebound wellf or his size. A healthy Wiz team would've made it to the ECF. The Spurs wouldn't have swept them in the Finals.

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 08-02-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #20
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha ha ha ha. that shark attack thing is hilarious. reminds me of "deep thoughts by Jack Handey"
Old 08-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #21
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

the thinking mans baller
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #22
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Love Gil. His attitude, his game, and more than anything, his confidence. I'm sure you guys have all seen the game-winning three (against the Bucks, I think) where he puts his hands into the air in triumph even before the ball goes in the basket. Gilbert Arenas is an entertainer, and isn't that what the NBA's really about?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:04 PM   #23
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
Love Gil. His attitude, his game, and more than anything, his confidence. I'm sure you guys have all seen the game-winning three (against the Bucks, I think) where he puts his hands into the air in triumph even before the ball goes in the basket. Gilbert Arenas is an entertainer, and isn't that what the NBA's really about?
Definitely a great showman.. and the thing is, he wins games for Washington too. He's a lot of flash, but he has more than enough substance to back it up.

Contact Me
Old 08-04-2007, 10:06 PM   #24
alby
Guru

Quote:

I'd prefer the reserved classiness of Dirk, who you KNOW is going to be improving his game to very little media hype. He actually works with a COACH (imagine that) and PLAYS BASKETBALL during the offseason. I'm pretty sure the last time Arenas even tried playing during the offseason, he got cut from the team.

Bottom line, the guy is all about image and publicity. That's great for his ego and it gets him a lot of headlines, but on the court, the guy is a low-IQ chucker, and he's never going to achieve a thing in his career unless he learns to play a team game.
I lol'ed at the third best all around player on his own team joke, nice one.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 08-04-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #25
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

The funniest thing about Arenas is his "it takes 5ive" commercials.

He's going to spend his prime on a mediocre team in the harmless conference, so he's pretty much irrelevant.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:19 AM   #26
alby
Guru

yeah, he's so good--he's definitely the face of that franchise.

and he's only 25, thats pretty incredible

are his scoring averages since entering the NBA. just incredible

Contact Me
Old 08-05-2007, 12:43 AM   #27
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

gil's aiite. i used to like him a lot when he was a nice mix of game and gilbertology.

however, it seems like his latest news items, outside his shitty injury, have been hibachi, winning bets against teammates and abstract offseason goals. chill, man.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:47 AM   #28
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
Also from the blog:

There are these things called shark attacks, but there is no such thing as a shark attack. I have never seen a real shark attack.

I know you’re making a weird face as you’re reading this. OK people, a shark attack is not what we see on TV and what people portray it as.

Sharks live in water.

So if you’re swimming in the water and a shark bites you, that’s called trespassing. That is called trespassing. That is not a shark attack.

A shark attack is if you’re chilling at home, sitting on your couch, and a shark comes in and bites you; now that’s a shark attack. Now, if you’re chilling in the water, that is called invasion of space. So I have never heard of a shark attack.

When I see on the news where it’s like, “There have been 10 shark attacks,” I’m like, “Hey, for real?! They’re just running around? Sharks are walking now, huh! We live on the land, we don’t live underwater.”

I love Gilbert.
If I didn't know any better, I would have guessed that Dwight Schrute was the ghost writer for that blog entry.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:50 AM   #29
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Every year you hear of players setting numerical goals of how many shots they wanna take/make each day in the newspapers, magazines, etc. Gilbert Arenas isn't exactly the first person to broadcast how many shots he plans to make/take each day over the summer. Besides, it's his blog. What else do you expect him to write about in there? The economic situation in Malaysia? String Theory?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 08-05-2007, 12:51 AM   #30
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really know much about him besides his antics.

Does he make his teammates better?

Is he a good team player?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:57 AM   #31
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
yeah, he's so good--he's definitely the face of that franchise.

and he's only 25, thats pretty incredible

are his scoring averages since entering the NBA. just incredible
Too bad for him. Derek Harper raised his scoring average for EIGHT consecutive seasons, which I think is some sort of record.

Granted, Harper never sniffed 25 a game. But honestly, is there anyone to say that he wouldn't have, in Arenas's shoes? Food for thought.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:23 AM   #32
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Arenas' shoes look cool and all, but I doubt they are worth 10 points a game.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 08-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #33
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
Also from the blog:

Sharks live in water.

I love Gilbert.
I don't like Arenas at al but dang that's funny
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #34
thurst0509

thurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to all

I'm a big fan of Gil. He's one of the guys I always look forward to seeing at the AAC. Just fun to watch. I doubt he'll be winning any titles anytime soon with the way he plays... but he is a great player and a great entertainer.

His shark attack joke is stolen from Bad Boys of Comedy's Ian Edwards, though:
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcspo...lagiarist.html
thurst0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #35
spreedom
Diamond Member

That's four hours of detention where I come from...
Old 08-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #36
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

agent zero is pretty good.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #37
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

from True Hoop

Shark Attack? Or Petty Joke Theft?

August 2, 2007 10:27 AM

Oh dear. Gilbert Arenas' funny blog bit about how there is no such thing as shark attacks appears not to be original. Dan Steinberg of the DC Sports Bog demonstrates (he even links to video) that the bit is lifted from the Bad Boys of Comedy's Ian Edwards:

Edwards: We live on the land. Sharks live in the water. If you get caught down there, you trespassing.

Gilbert: We're humans. We live on land. Sharks live in water. So if you're swimming in the water and a shark bites you, that's called trespassing.

Edwards: You know what a real shark attack is? A real shark attack is if you someplace you supposed to be and a shark shows up. That's a shark attack. Is if you someplace you supposed to be and a shark shows up. If you in the crib taking a shower tonight and you feel a tap on your shoulder and you turn around, 'What's up playa, shark attack time baby.'

Gilbert: A shark attack is if you're chilling at home, sitting on your couch, and a shark comes in and bites you; now that's a shark attack.

One unintended consequence of YouTube appears to be putting the brakes on the time-honored tradition of stealing comedy. You aware of this (heads up non-stop swearing) Joe Rogan vs. Carlos Mencia thing?

Washington Wizards, Gilbert Arenas

Read comments or leave a comment

-------------------------------------

I still love Gilbert..the NBA is also about having fun..personalities..well at least it used to be. He helped turn that franchise around. He gave the fans something to cheer about..c'mon the Washington Wizards franchise was going nowhere..always losing in first round to MJ..screwing MJ over....bad drafts..and now theyre doing something. They wouldve done some damage in the playoffs last year if not for two dismal injuries to two star players. I feel inclined to cheer for Gilbert, Antwan, and Caron. I feel that they are very stand-up guys..in a league full of headcases.

Last edited by nikeball; 08-06-2007 at 11:37 AM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #38
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Gilbert Arenas on Intellectual Property

There are very serious and important discussions going on in this world about how to re-jigger copyright law for an era of globalization and the internet.

It's all clear to me now, though. Things need not be so complex. We just need to name Gilbert Arenas U.S. Czar of Intellectual Property. He's already in Washington D.C.

Here is some Arenas thinking on the topic, which he wrote on his NBA.com blog in response to multiple accusations that one of the funniest things he has ever written was in fact not something he wrote at all:

Yeah, you've all been talking about it. I used someone else's joke. What's the big deal? I thought it was funny, I blogged it, you all laughed.

Mission accomplished.

Listen, nobody even heard of Ian Edwards before me. He's no Chris Rock. I helped him become famous. Now everybody is going to YouTube and looking him up.

The joke was worth about $7 when I heard it, now that I've used it's probably worth a little bit more. I'll sell it back to him for $7.78. Seventy-eight cents, Ian, you can put that in a royalties check made out to me.

Puffy and Ashanti made careers out of stealing other people's beats. This is America, the land of the reused.

If you think about it, nothing is original. Every joke has been retold at some point. What I did was recycle a new joke instead of waiting for it to get old. It was too funny not too. I mean, at least I picked a good joke, right? It's not like it was some lame, "Yo momma" joke.

Let's not forget, "Hibachi" was stolen too. Brendan Haywood used to say it before me. But I recognize good stuff and make it popular. Now "Hibachi" is patented by Agent Zero, son.

I'm not a thief, I just reused it.

Know who is a thief? The guy that is trying to sell the domain name of GilbertArenas.com to me. It's my name! I have to buy it back from him. Now that's stealing, borrowing, whatever you want to call it.

(I considered not quoting quite so much, but then I thought: what the hell! It's not like Gilbert Arenas can complain this time!)

Seriously, though: I know that it sounds like I'm making fun of Gilbert Arenas. I'm just busting his chops. I love that Gilbert Arenas has this great blog. It's amazingly fun to read, and everyone involved should be saluted for letting this happen. I wish every NBA player spoke to us like this.

He's funny and genuine! Law or no law, I just don't see why he can't start a similar joke next time by saying: "Ian Edwards has this great joke ..." Still just as funny!

Last edited by nikeball; 08-06-2007 at 11:37 AM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote