Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future
Default Matt Barnes staying in Oakland this season.

Quote:
Barnes returning to the Warriors

Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monday, August 6, 2007

Months after his "Believe" tattoo became intertwined with the Warriors' playoff slogan, Matt Barnes is believing in himself again. Faced with an increasingly stingy free-agent market, Barnes is returning to Oakland on a one-year contract with hopes of scoring a bigger payday next summer.

The two sides agreed to terms, according to agent Aaron Goodwin, and Barnes is expected to officially re-sign today. League sources said Barnes will make $3.5 million, the remainder of the Warriors' mid-level exception.

Thus ends a frustrating summer for Barnes, who originally sought a long-term contract starting at the mid-level exception of $5.36 million after his breakout year under coach Don Nelson.

Barnes averaged career-highs across the board and was critical to the Golden State's postseason run with 11.1 points and 5.7 rebounds in 30 minutes a game. But teams were reluctant to commit so much money to a player who earned the league minimum last year and has been on five teams in four seasons.

Barnes also went through three agents while seeking his new deal, firing Bill Neff during the playoffs, signing with Dan Fegan, then dropping Fegan in favor of Goodwin two weeks ago.

The Warriors remained Barnes' preferred destination through it all, and rather than sign a multi-year deal also offered by the club, Barnes will try to increase his stock before re-entering the market in a year.

"In the end, it probably made more sense for Matt to show not only the Warriors, but the NBA, that he's a serious player," Goodwin said. "Given the opportunity, which he was last year, he can play in this league for a number of years to come."

Barnes' return essentially makes the Warriors nonplayers in free agency. Though the team still has a one-year qualifying offer of $3.5 million out to Mickael Pietrus, the Warriors have now used up all of their midlevel exception between Barnes and center Kosta Perovic, who can make up to $1.8 million next season.

Golden State still has its bi-annual exception of $1.8 million left, but any other additions outside of league-minimum contracts will have to come via trade. If Pietrus returns, the Warriors would have 16 players under guaranteed contracts and be forced to cut one before the season starts.
San Francisco Chronicle linked from hoopshype

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 08-06-2007 at 10:06 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Good for him. Seems like the GSW system is where he'll have the most success.

I don't think he was ever a great fit for us, so I'm happier knowing that we could still use a pretty good chunk of our MLE to sign Webber and maybe even Posey as well!
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad he's staying in GS. I like his game and he's a fan favorite here.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #4
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Thank goodness he isn't coming here.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

I would have been very angry if we signed him. I liked him for my fantasy team in the regular season..but in the playoffs his cocky antics alienated me.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

good. now lets just sign webber
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

The team who knows him the best didn't even offer him the full MLE and he was a huge part in getting them to the second round of the playoffs, he got 3.5 million instead.

I remember a few weeks ago there were some on this board willing to offer the full MLE to pick up this spare.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote