Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future
Default Martin confident he'll play in opener

Martin confident he'll play in opener
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer

Article Last Updated: 08/07/2007 11:21:04 PM MDT

Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin, center, who missed all of last season except for two games, hits the weights under the watchful eye of trainer Steve Hess. (Post / John Leyba)

Back to wearing his old No. 4 from his college days, Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin said Tuesday he expects to be healthy and playing again opening night.

Monday, the 6-foot-9, 240-pounder ran in an uptempo treadmill workout for the first time since he last played, Nov. 3 against Minnesota. Martin, who missed all but two games last season because of microfracture surgery on his right knee, and Nuggets strength and conditioning coach Steve Hess said they are confident Martin will play in the season opener Oct. 31 against Seattle.

"Kenyon will be doing something on the court with this team," said Martin, 29, after working out at the Pepsi Center. "Whether it's just me going in and waving, I'm going to contribute in the first game of the season. I expect to play whether it's 10 minutes, two minutes - I expect to play."

Hess said Martin began working out for the upcoming season two weeks after the 2006-07 season ended. From this week until training camp begins Oct. 3, Martin is expected to work out five days a week in Denver and plans to be ready for the Nuggets' first practice. This week's workout consists of treadmill running, shooting, weightlifting and yoga.

"I'm confident he'll play (opening night)," Hess said.

The Dallas native said he has made health mistakes in the past, including working out for the New Jersey Nets in 2000 with a broken leg that wasn't totally healed, as well as coming back too early after arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in 2005. Martin said the seven-year, $92.5 million contract he signed in 2004 was among the reasons he rushed himself to return.

"I got caught up in signing the contract here," Martin said. "Our fans want to see me play. (Nuggets owner Stan) Kroenke wants to see me play. Everybody wants to see me play and I got caught up in that. I got paid and I got to show these people why I'm worth this money. But if I ain't healthy, than I'm not going to be worth it anyway.

"So I might as well think about what I'm doing to hurt my body and shorten my career. They are going to just move the next person in if Kenyon can't play. And I don't like that."

Martin said he has been "pretty down" while recovering from his latest surgery. The 2004 NBA all-star said he was most emotional when he woke up from surgery Nov. 15 in Vail to Dr. Richard Steadman's news that he was out for the rest of the season.

"When he told me I was out for the season, the tears just started coming," Martin said. "I knew it was a possibility, but I was optimistic that I would be out six or eight weeks. But you wake up and you're out for the season. I couldn't deal with it."

Martin said he was also down prior to Game 1 of the Nuggets' first round playoff series against eventual NBA champion San Antonio.

"(Teammate) Allen (Iverson) saw my face and said, 'It's going to be all right,"' Martin said. "I couldn't handle it. That's the best time of the year. Game 1. I want to play, I want to compete and I know I can help this team."

Martin will change from No. 6 to No. 4, which he wore at Cincinnati, because he dominated while wearing No. 4 for the Bearcats. Now with the Nuggets' big-man spots solidified by Nene and Marcus Camby, Martin expects to be a reserve but hopes for a bigger role.

"I will definitely understand it, but I won't say I will like it," Martin said. "But I'm trying to get my mind around it to get prepared for that."

Random thoughts

A look at some of the other topics Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin discussed Tuesday:

On his relationship with coach George Karl:

"It might be selfish, but if I come back the right way, me and George's relationship will take care of itself. Like I said before last season, I don't have no problem with George. This is George's team. There was some stuff last (season) by me saying he should play Reggie (Evans in the playoffs). That's just the way I felt. But it was nothing. I don't want that hanging over my head or my team's head going into a new season."

On how he has changed:

"I've grown a lot by the way I approach my life and my day-to-day struggles and day-to-day happiness knowing that can help me out on the court as far as letting things go and not getting mad as easy. ... I'm reading a book right now on happiness and peace."

On regaining his athleticism:

"I know I'm going to have to take some of the craziness off. Jumping for no reason, sometimes I will have to let something go. I got my mind around that, but I'm not going to be passive."

On what it will mean to play again:

"It would mean the world. It's basketball. Competition. Practice. Just to put on the uniform again, new number."

Staff writer Marc J. Spears

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs

Last edited by Dr.Zoidberg; 08-08-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I doubt it, but good luck to him.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
"I'm confident he'll play (opening night)," Hess said.
". . .but we expect him to be out the rest of the season after opening night," Hess continued, off the record.

Last edited by jacktruth; 08-08-2007 at 11:58 AM.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

15minutes of play time before a season of

DNP- Coach's decision and
DNP- behavior detrimental to team
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

At least he'll stop jumping for no reason. That's great.