Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #401
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

that was fun.

i'm tempted to gripe, and I until the back to back sacks I was ready to break out some _allas, but for now...

that was fun.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 PM   #402
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
tony threw for 320 yards and 3 tds. he had a couple of hickups but he played well
two straight games of 310+ yards...has that ever been done by a Cowboy QB?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 PM   #403
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Now you gotta look at the short week on the road against the hot packers.

Tough one, but they can do it.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #404
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the Packers scare me. With the way we defended McNabb and the way Rodgers is playing, that's a dangerous game.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #405
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

television dead... game missed... sulking...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:15 PM   #406
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
Yeah, the Packers scare me. With the way we defended McNabb and the way Rodgers is playing, that's a dangerous game.
It's one of those you can see losing, but on paper you've got a chance. They just can't buy in to the built-in excuses. Those WRs could have a field day with Rodgers. GBs running back situation seems dicey with Grant not doing so well with his hamstring and the backup, Jackson (?) handling it well and was doing so in preseason as well.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:20 PM   #407
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

gotta love yet another comical botched snap/handoff by romo

I swear romo was born to star in a charlie chaplin movie
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #408
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

One of the greatest Regular Season games that I have ever seen!!!

I'm going to enjoy this...I'll focus on next week later...for now, we BEAT the Bugles!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 PM   #409
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The Cowboys will be favorites going into the GB game IMO....

At times, McNabb looked like the best QB in the NFL tonight. I'd like to see the Cowboys blitz a bit more often than they did... gotta get more pressure early.

Now let's not forget one thing.... 14 of the first half points were gifted to the Eagles because of TO's (and then a horrible pass interference call). The defense doesn't look like it did quite as bad of a job if you take those 14 points away. Giving up 23 to an offense like that isn't terrible.... Take Roy Williams off the field and it's even better.

I know the defense wasn't good, but McNabb is going to make alot defenses look pedestrian this season. My biggest concern right now is the penalties though...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #410
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

No kidding Murph. Every time I see a flag I assume it's on us.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #411
BGMaverick9
Guru

That's true, but it seemed like they gave those WRs too much of a cushion tonight. At least for a lot of plays. I thought they did what they could with Westbrook, he's a tough one to stop and McNabb has either found his old ways again, or he's just in a good groove until he stumbles again.

I still dunno if they'll be considered favorites next week though. That short week in this kind of game will play into affect.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:34 PM   #412
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Cowboys will be favored by a field goal... but, what do I know?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:35 PM   #413
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I checked all the sites I know and no line has been set yet.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #414
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

well... ESPN has Green Bay by 2.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #415
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

(respectable) lines don't generally come out until Tuesdays...
Old 09-15-2008, 11:45 PM   #416
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
(respectable) lines don't generally come out until Tuesdays...
I don't bet football anymore, but when I did, the lines generally came out on Sunday nights. Or at least, after both teams had played.

I went to the most respectable site I know of just now, and they don't have a line out yet on Dallas/GB, probably since Dallas just played.

If you follow this stuff closely enough, you can generally predict the line well enough anyway. My guess would be Dallas by less than a field goal.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:48 PM   #417
BGMaverick9
Guru

I thought that Game vs the Pack would be very enjoyable to watch, but the bar has been set pretty high after tonight. It's going to be interesting either way. This is a real test for Rodgers now.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #418
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

And to that I would say, bet the crap out of Dallas.

The boys just played their hardest opponent of the season. It's over. They CAN beat everyone else on their schedule.

The NFL is having an extremely down year, and Dallas will take advantage of it
Old 09-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #419
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

They CAN beat Green Bay on the road, but they aren't anywhere near something like a 90% favorite. 60%, tops.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 PM   #420
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Flaco.... we do have to play them again.... up there.

I wonder what the O/U for that game will be.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #421
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
They CAN beat Green Bay on the road, but they aren't anywhere near something like a 90% favorite. 60%, tops.
Right...they CAN win. But based on all the factors in play, WILL they win?

I agree with your %s.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 09-16-2008 at 12:01 AM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:07 AM   #422
Murphy3
Guru

I'd say that they will probably win... I won't bet my house on it...

Last edited by Murphy3; 09-16-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:23 AM   #423
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Green Bay played Minnesota & Detroit - I don't care what you saw tonight, the Cowboys are a better team than either of those two on both sides of the ball...

Next week, DeMarcus Ware is going to properly introduce Mr. Rodgers to the NFL and Tony Romo is going to bring Green Bay's defense back to earth...

Cowboys by 17...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-16-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:23 AM   #424
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I sure am glad we are playing at Green Bay in September and not November/December that's for sure.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 09-16-2008, 12:26 AM   #425
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Cowboys crush Green Bay and all other foes in their path to inevitable Super Bowl title, and eventual global domination.

Hail Cowboys.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:53 AM   #426
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Just read on another message board that Roy Williams has a fractured forearm. Looking for a more official confirmation though...

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 09-16-2008, 03:28 AM   #427
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow 41-37. Must have been a great game.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #428
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

What an interesting game day thread. Sike was freaking out for a bit in the first half.

Say what you will about the D, they stepped when they absolutely had to after another killer penalty. And I think they backed off the blitz a bit because freaking McNabb kept eluding sackers like he did.

I'm not worried about the defense, just stop the ridiculous penalties.

I just about went through the roof when they showed the first replay after saying the ball to TO was tipped.

Let's not forget the really, really nice play Jenkins made early in this game. Saved a sure fire touchdown.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 AM   #429
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
Just read on another message board that Roy Williams has a fractured forearm. Looking for a more official confirmation though...
lol. The news just gets better for the Cowboys. Looks like he'll miss 3 weeks.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #430
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~!!!!!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:18 AM   #431
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Dude...that's classless to show any positive regarding a players injury.

Look, I'm as down on Roy and his coverage skills and tackling techniques...but the man is an assett to this team and this defense. He will be missed and hopefully the impact is minimal.

I would rather see players come on the field because they earned a spot by beating Roy out in practice...not by some freak injury.

I don't know, but maybe I just don't like to see or read this type of stuff about a player, especially a Cowboy player.

That would be like a Mavs fan talking about how lucky the Mavs are because that non-shooting Guard Jason Kidd was injured...

My apologies for the mini-rant...but that pushed my non-political button :-)
Old 09-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #432
Murphy3
Guru

I don't think he's really much of an asset at this point. I agree that it's not a good thing to cheer on someone's injury, but the guy can't cover. You have to be able to cover if you're going to play DB in this league. I think we're long past the point to where Williams is more of a positive than a negative on and off the field.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #433
Murphy3
Guru

Dallas is a 3 point favorite from what I've seen so far. They'll be the only road favorite this week in the NFL.

Last edited by Murphy3; 09-16-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #434
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I don't think he's really much of an asset at this point. I agree that it's not a good thing to cheer on someone's injury, but the guy can't cover. You have to be able to cover if you're going to play DB in this league. I think we're long past the point to where Williams is more of a positive than a negative on and off the field.
I agree.

And I certainly wasn't cheering anyone's injury. I was finding humor in the irony that one of your "star" players gets hurt and it's probably going to help you more than hurt you.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #435
Murphy3
Guru

That's fine.. Actually, I don't have a problem anyone cheering an injury.. that's on them...
Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #436
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Is an extended recap available somewhere ?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #437
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Witten also injured.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #438
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I'd say that they will probably win... I won't bet my house on it...
But I will be betting your house...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 09-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #439
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Sike was freaking out for a bit in the first half.
I hate that kind of half a game. No defense and ridiculous flubs (Romo) drives me crazy. I think I used the word "garbage" more in the first half than at any other point in my life

Quote:
Let's not forget the really, really nice play Jenkins made early in this game. Saved a sure fire touchdown.
No doubt! For a second I thought Roy had just made the nicest play of his career...and then it hit me.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #440
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I hate that kind of half a game. No defense and ridiculous flubs (Romo) drives me crazy. I think I used the word "garbage" more in the first half than at any other point in my life

No doubt! For a second I thought Roy had just made the nicest play of his career...and then it hit me.

I am laughing...I was going nuts telling everyone watching about how ole Williams CAN Cover...everyone was laughing at me...then it hit me...

Wait I meant that this year #31 CAN Cover...too late, no recovery, I made an ass of myself...but hey, it's nice to see some nice coverage back there.

On that note, bes wishes to #38 and #82...may they have a quick and full recovery!!!

By the way, flaco...my bad for being a bit too sensitive...I'm running on fumes this morning, I couldn't get to sleep after the game and now I'm trying to make it through work and stuff...I suppose now I am learning why these teams typically have a 24 hour rule, enjoy the win and move on.

Maybe I sould just flip on the DVR and watch the game all over again...lord knows I aint getting any work done anyway.