Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM   #721
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Unfortunately listening to hoop collective this morning and brace yourself.

Harden hit 11 floaters the entire regular season. The entire regular season.

Hit 5 in the 4th yesterday.
What is it with coaches and centers on this team? I'm convinced Kidd hates centers. He damn near ruined Gafford before amazingly deciding that starting him might get us wins.

Now Lively is in the 15-18 minute range? Esp when Gafford is obviously hurt and ineffective in this series?

We drafted Lively specifically for RIGHT NOWWWW.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM   #722
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
What is it with coaches and centers on this team? I'm convinced Kidd hates centers. He damn near ruined Gafford before amazingly deciding that starting him might get us wins.

Now Lively is in the 15-18 minute range? Esp when Gafford is obviously hurt and ineffective in this series?

We drafted Lively specifically for RIGHT NOWWWW.
I feel like im losing my mind with this. Because even if Kidd says I?ll live with twos instead of hardens threes, why not have an actual fn center that could at minimum challenge his floater at the rim.

This is the same defense he?s using when they had that horrible defense post all star break. It?s maddening. We have real centers now. Make an adjustment for fucks sake.
Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM   #723
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

In the series so far - Clippers 3pt% = 43.3%
Clippers two wins - LA 3pt% = 56% (50% and 62%)
Clippers two losses - LA 3pt% = 30.6% (26.7% and 34.5%)

I think they are a streaky 3pt shooting team and when they are hot, they are are really hot. I see no reason for Kidd to be keeping Gafford/Lively out of the fourth quarter with the hope of keeping them off the three point line. The defense on PG and Harden was pretty good beyond the arc in game four and the Mavs still got torched. Might as well try to take away the drive to the basket with a big guy patrolling the paint. PG was just otherworldly in game four.
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #724
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by washedklean77 View Post
Luka looks completely beat down, broken and out of shape. How will he hold up for the remainder of this series, let alone subsequent rounds should the Mavs prevail? One of the very few superstars that falls out of shape as the season progresses.
Luka Unquestionably falls out of shape as the season goes on. My guess is poor eating habits. Also can't help that our system is "watch Luka, then let Kyrie". Year after year he looks beat down by season end and the talk is always about off season Luka innthe gym yada yada.

Much like slow starts, complaining and not getting back on defense. Its rinse repeat about Luka not taking elite fitness seriously on any consistent level.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #725
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that Luka looks broken down. Im not sure he deserves the hate, though.

Dude had to play
24 games without Kyrie
53 games without PJ
53 games without Gafford
27 games without Lively
27 games without Exum

Without centers, he had to do our rebounding. Without scorers, he was forced to put up 50pts a night for us to have a chance.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM   #726
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Well injuries and being worn down can you make you make poor basketball decisions. You see that time and time again. Just look at Embiid. Super frustrated that he isn't himself playing hurt.

Unfortunately, bad decisions can determine the outcome of a series. Not saying Luka had a ton last night, but I forgive some step back threes since they are easier than struggling through attacking the rim over and over again. It makes sense.

I'm actually glad we have a few days off for Luka to get at least a little right.

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM   #727
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Luka is worn down again. I don?t see a reprieve for him either. Got the extra day but not enough for him to regress to the mean of his normal dominating self.

Next season I expect Kyrie to play the same amount of games with 58-60. But at least we?ll have lively and Gafford for a full offseason and season.
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM   #728
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I agree Luka is worn down again. I don?t see a reprieve for him either. Got the extra day but not enough for him to regress to the mean of his normal dominating self.

Next season I expect Kyrie to play the same amount of games with 58-60. But at least we?ll have lively and Gafford for a full offseason and season.
We need a solid 15 ppg g/f like Bogdan on the Hawks. That's the one thing with the decline of THJ that we're missing.

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #729
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I agree that Luka looks broken down. Im not sure he deserves the hate, though.

Dude had to play
24 games without Kyrie
53 games without PJ
53 games without Gafford
27 games without Lively
27 games without Exum

Without centers, he had to do our rebounding. Without scorers, he was forced to put up 50pts a night for us to have a chance.
Its not hate. Everyone here loves Luka.

What you said is fair regarding his workload... but really doesnt explain how he does all of that stuff yet looks 10lbs heavier.

It would explain how he is a bit run down. However, would he be this worn out if he got super fit, and maintained it during the season? I'm not convinced he keeps a strict diet once the season is under way.

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #730
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
We need a solid 15 ppg g/f like Bogdan on the Hawks. That's the one thing with the decline of THJ that we're missing.
Between DJJ and PJ we should be able to get 25-28pts consistently. We just dont run enough plays that can get them easy looks. We run PnR at the top and hope those 2 can knock down 3s if the defense collapses.

DJJ has attacked the basket several times and paid off with huge momentum baskets. Those weren't by design though. If we had more motion and off ball movement between djj and PJ it would at the very least put more pressure on defenses. It just seems like the coach views that as clogging spacing up keeping Luka from PNR.

Idk, a lot of things we do seem to contradict. Luka having the ball so much seems like we value posessions by keeping it with Luka, yet he has some silly turnovers at terribly timed moments. Similar for kai on a smaller scale.

Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM   #731
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Between DJJ and PJ we should be able to get 25-28pts consistently. We just dont run enough plays that can get them easy looks. We run PnR at the top and hope those 2 can knock down 3s if the defense collapses.

DJJ has attacked the basket several times and paid off with huge momentum baskets. Those weren't by design though. If we had more motion and off ball movement between djj and PJ it would at the very least put more pressure on defenses. It just seems like the coach views that as clogging spacing up keeping Luka from PNR.

Idk, a lot of things we do seem to contradict. Luka having the ball so much seems like we value posessions by keeping it with Luka, yet he has some silly turnovers at terribly timed moments. Similar for kai on a smaller scale.
Exum before he got injured was that guy though. He just isn't consistent enough to do it though.

I agree mostly though with what you're saying.

I'm just not super confident this postseason. Team is still too inconsistent on offense. Perhaps that changes...perhaps not.

Wednesday is going to be a bloodbath.

Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #732
Melonhead
Guru

Another thing re Harden?

Most points he?s ever scored in a single quarter in the paint. Entire career. Per Hoop Collective.

Only the Mavs and small ball could make that happen.

I will gladly lose my money for a Mavs win, but gotta bet with my head not my heart.
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #733
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Exum before he got injured was that guy though. He just isn't consistent enough to do it though.

I agree mostly though with what you're saying.

I'm just not super confident this postseason. Team is still too inconsistent on offense. Perhaps that changes...perhaps not.

Wednesday is going to be a bloodbath.
Exum was promising. Now it looks like he cant even dribble the ball with both hands. Very awkward and timid.

Idk what we would have left if we used our miracle to get out of this round.

Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #734
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Exum was promising. Now it looks like he cant even dribble the ball with both hands. Very awkward and timid.

Idk what we would have left if we used our miracle to get out of this round.
Well the quesiton is will Luka have anything left. Seems like he has had this knee issue for a month now.

Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM   #735
blessednegr0

blessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of light

I am seeing on ESPN that Kawhi is the premier player vs Luka. I believe Kawhi is back for game 5.
blessednegr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:48 AM   #736
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessednegr0 View Post
I am seeing on ESPN that Kawhi is the premier player vs Luka. I believe Kawhi is back for game 5.
2-0 vs Kawhi? 2-0 night games.

Old Today, 08:49 AM   #737
Melonhead
Guru

Makes me wonder if Luka can ever get through a full playoffs to an nba finals. His body is not built for longevity. We already see with a knee injury he?s lost a step in drives and has to settle for shots that aren?t falling.

I?m cautiously optimistic he can find his shot tomorrow.

It?s really unfortunate Exum ghosted because his presence gives them another guy to run the offense with. If they survive Clips maybe he can regain it vs Thunder.

Also?all series in the west are done except ours and there?s still 3 games left
Old Today, 11:04 AM   #738
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

2-2 against Clippers and lost series

2-2 against Clippers and lost series

2-2 against Clippers and ???
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:09 AM   #739
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Nico came in 4th for executive of the year.

Old Today, 11:23 AM   #740
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

As I have said before, imo, until Luka matures he won't and shouldn't be in talks for MVP nor will Dallas win an NBA championship with him. It's time for him to grow up.

On the other hand, I gotta say Kyrie is enough along with this line up and a little luck to win one this year.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:57 AM   #741
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk View Post
As I have said before, imo, until Luka matures he won't and shouldn't be in talks for MVP nor will Dallas win an NBA championship with him. It's time for him to grow up.
I could agree with this in other years, but I think this sentiment rings hollow now. Define grow up?

Old Today, 12:20 PM   #742
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Oh and Doncic has a sprained right knee so maybe cut him some slack.

Old Today, 12:20 PM   #743
Melonhead
Guru

THj tweaked his ankle in practice today. Kidd called it a ?setback? but will be listed as questionable for now.
Old Today, 12:21 PM   #744
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I could agree with this in other years, but I think this sentiment rings hollow now. Define grow up?
This response is probably a waste of time but here goes...
In the context of a game. Example - Not as apparent on TV but watching live games (I've been to 6 this year) he's still not able to let things go if it doesn't go his way. He mopes down the court. Ripple effect.. blah blah.

I understand regular season and the grind so probably doesn't affect the outcome of the game that much. In the playoffs, every possession matters. Again, this is my opinion from observation.

I'm not going further but if I did, I would discuss his choices off the court, but I have no facts for this so not going to speculate.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:56 PM   #745
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

It's awesome to have a coach that learns and adjusts on the fly...https://twitter.com/KevinGraySports/...59225813643554

Old Today, 01:17 PM   #746
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Oh and Doncic has a sprained right knee so maybe cut him some slack.
A lot players are playing banged up at this time of the year

Embid knee
Lillard Achilles
KP ankle
Murray Calf

Luka just got to fight through it like everyone else right?

Last edited by Dallas41; Today at 01:17 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:19 PM   #747
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
This response is probably a waste of time but here goes...
In the context of a game. Example - Not as apparent on TV but watching live games (I've been to 6 this year) he's still not able to let things go if it doesn't go his way. He mopes down the court. Ripple effect.. blah blah.

I understand regular season and the grind so probably doesn't affect the outcome of the game that much. In the playoffs, every possession matters. Again, this is my opinion from observation.

I'm not going further but if I did, I would discuss his choices off the court, but I have no facts for this so not going to speculate.
I went to the suns and mavs game and you are correct watching it up close you see his actions and you say to yourself please Luka for once just get back on defense and let it go

But he's never going to change

Last edited by Dallas41; Today at 01:20 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:27 PM   #748
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

On the other hand, I gotta say Kyrie is enough along with this line up and a little luck to win one this year.
Leads the league in points, almost averages a triple double for the season, and leads this team to 50 wins. But he shouldn?t be in the MVP conversation?
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:28 PM   #749
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

Embid knee
Lillard Achilles
KP ankle
Murray Calf

Lillard is out. KP tried to gut it out, but now he?s out. Everyone?s injuries are different. Embid just took months off too, so he should have fresher legs than Luka.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:29 PM   #750
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

Embid knee
Lillard Achilles
KP ankle
Murray Calf

That's one way to you look at it.

Or maybe no matter what shape we want Luka to be in, maybe it's the long nba season that's the culprit to running down stars.

Giannis, Ingram, Zion, Davis etc. etc. Not really a good look for the NBA to have that many hurt.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; Today at 01:30 PM.