Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #41
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

ROFFLES
Old 06-07-2006, 04:11 PM   #42
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

[Tangina]

Cross over children. All are welcome. All welcome. Go into the Light. There is peace and serenity in the Light.

[/Tangina]

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 06-07-2006 at 04:14 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #43
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Bandwagon fans have never bothered me. I really don't care why someone roots for a team. Each of us was not a fan one day and then became a fan the next, no matter when we started.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:13 AM   #44
dallasjayhawks

dallasjayhawks is on a distinguished road

It used to really bother me. Then I moved to Austin 3 years ago (just moved back to Dallas 2 weeks ago) and I saw firsthand thousands of people suddenly become first Spurs fans, then Astros fans, then UT fans just because they were winning. Three teams I totally despise. So I just kinda got used to it. Of course those weren't "my" teams so I wasn't mad but it was hard having to deal with people who knew nothing about sports make fun of me, "oh how are the rangers? haha" or "mavericks suck!"

Having been back in Dallas only 2 weeks, I haven't noticed the change. Everyone in Austin is a Spurs fan, and everyone in Dallas was already on the Mavs bandwagon by the time I got back. I work at the Galleria and I can say it is very annoying seeing people come in wearing Mavs shirts and then asking "so when do they play?" or "how many games are left?" This lady tonight asked me "so what's the score?" I'm like "I don't know, I'm not watching the game, I'm ringing you up."

So yes its annoying, but a small price to pay.
dallasjayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:43 AM   #45
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Band wagon fans don't bother me because they just give me more people to talk to at work. Most people don't know jack about the Mavs but that is OK. When I was in the lunchroom today everybody was discussing the Mavs. It was kind of fun.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:11 AM   #46
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say, guys like my one former roommate kind of upset me a little bit. All this sememster he says hardly any words to me about the Mavs. Btw, I'm not subtle about being a Mavs fan with several Mavs posters around my room, and a Marquis Daniels wallpaper on my computer (not to mention, I spent hours reading sites like this). Furthermore, he moves the TV to where the cable cord we had didn't reach the cable outlet thus prohibiting me (and him) from watching any Mavs games in our room. I had to move around to watch Mavs games (saw games from dorm lobby, dorm basement, friends' TVs, sports bars with my dad, and the AAC). It kind of irked me that he moved the TV so I couldn't watch it anymore, especially during basketball season. I know he wasn't paying any attention to the Mavs, or else he wouldn't have commented more on it whenever I came in the room joyous from a Mavs win or such. I pretty much assumed he just didn't care about the Mavs at all.

I read his facebook wall (kind of like college myspace) the other day and see that he has been playfully been bantering with his female friends about how great the Mavs are and that they are going all the way. Why if you didn't know any better, you would think he was diehard, but I'm pretty sure he hopped on the bandwagon during the Spurs series. Oh well, what are you going to do about it?

Oh, and I kind of like the one my supervisor, who has been very vocal in her support of the Mavs, pulled today at work. Today she was listening to some of the game on the radio. I overheard her at one point say, "Which team is Stackhouse on? Is he important?" I assume this was right after the shaq shot to Stack's nose (can't confirm the point in the game as I tried to avoid hearing anything about the game at work so I could watch the recorded game like it was being played live once I got home). Anyways, I just wanted to smack my head against a wall when I heard her say that.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:30 AM   #47
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickfan
This post is funny because I guess I can say I'm a bandwagoner for the past few years when my job moved me to Dallas and since I LOVE basketball and the Knicks, the first year I lived here I got tickets for the Knicks vs. Mavericks and really liked the Mavericks stadium. So I went to another game and another game. I swear I tried and bashed and didn't LIKE the Mavericks mostly because they weren't the knicks. Then before I knew it, I went in on season tickets with some people from work. Even the people from work LOVE to rub in and say, "you're not a knicks fan, you're a mavericks fan now." I constantly bash them, constantly talk about them but probably get just as mad as any of you when they lose.

Anyway my point is, bandwagoners aren't so bad. They start out that way, then they just keep watching, before you know it they're fans. The one thing I will say about the Dallas Mavericks, if you go to just one game and it really doesn't matter who they play, you're going to want to go again and before you know it, you're hooked! It's like a soap opera!!!
This is similar to how I became a Mavs' fan, although I'll admit to never owning any season tickets in the three years I lived in Dallas. I distinctly recall being somewhat upset that the Mavs "got good" the year prior to me moving to Dallas, as I knew the cost of season tickets would rise. I was hoping to get some decent seats on the cheap to watch NBA games of a team that was terrible in the late 90s, especially since I'd never lived in a city that had its own NBA team (or any professional team, for that matter).

And while the Kings (my main loyalty is to CWebb since I've never had a "hometown" team to cheer for) and Mavs were jousting for the privilege of challenging the Spurs or the Lakers, I too had many an argument with other Dallasites about the deficiencies of those Mavs' teams and those players: Dirk and Nash couldn't play defense to save their lives, Finley couldn't take more than two dribbles without losing the ball of his leg, etc.

Then I stumbled across this forum, and just enjoyed discussing NBA basketball in general. And with the decline of the Kings, and CWebb moving to Philly, the Mavs just started to become more interesting to follow, not necessarily because they were successful, but because I knew as much (if not more) about the team as I did about any other team --- attending a few games at the AAC has that effect --- and because they played an entertaining style of basketball. It's also been enjoyable to watch Dirk's game evolve.

I won't lie --- if AI and CWebb had signed a deal with the devil prior to the season to ensure their appearance in the 2006 NBA Finals, I'd be lurking on this forum instead of posting as much, hoping all the while that CWebb would be able to get a ring. I won't pretend to be on the bandwagon per se --- I own no Mavs gear, and don't yet have sleepless nights if the Mavs perform poorly or lose a gut-wrenching game. But I've been here this season and these playoffs in support of the Mavs run to a title. If/when they win three more games, I won't claim that "my team won". But I'll still enjoy watching them win.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #48
dallen

dallen is on a distinguished road

First Post. Seems like a good place to introduce myself.

I've been a fan for a long time. Not since the beginning (I'm not that old yet) but I grew up watching Randy White, Doug Smith, Harper, etc. I remember when Jim Jackson was drafted and held out most of the season. I remember going 11-71 and then 13-69. So I have some background on the team. Being in the finals is unbelievable. When we clinched in Phoenix all I could do was smile. This franchise has come so far the last 15 years. I never expected a day would come when Mavs fans would even have to the opportunity to worry about bandwagon fans. For all you young fans and all the new fans who plan to stick around, all I can say is enjoy this. You never know how long it will be before we get back to the Finals.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #49
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

I am a bandwagon fan...I jumped on back in 1991 when I was in high school in Austin. I thought the Mavs were going to be a great team some day, though the some day took about 15 or 16 years longer than I thought...Stuck with em through The Three J's and 12 wins and Nellie blowing the team up several times...I live in Houston and drive up to Dallas for games, and drive back as soon as they are done. I have a little website called dallasmavs.net I got when the web became big. I was the second guy on this forum (behind DJbacklash the owner). I say this to bandwagoners: COME ON IN! Better late than never! I waited a long time for this team to become a powerhouse and popular the way I felt it should. Sure, it makes it harder for me to get tickets to games, but I love that my poor Mavs are now the mighty Mavs with three wins to go for rings and a banner that says NBA Champions 2006.

Last edited by big_pth; 06-09-2006 at 11:03 AM.
big_pth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #50
mav_love

mav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nicemav_love is just really nice

When your first time at a pro game was at Reunion Arena and you were hoping against hope that a 2-win Mavs team MIGHT finally win that night b/c they were playing an expansion team... and you grew up rooting for the likes Doug Smith and Darren Morningstar or Popeye Jones and Tony Dumas... and you had your heart broken when the arena stopped playing "Monster Mash" on the JumboTron... and you told yourself again and again that Chris Antsey could be a player, and you told yourself again and againt that Dirk Nowitzki wasn't the second coming of Chris Antsey, and you loved Mike Finley to DEATH, and you were electrified when we won 40 games, and you nearly fainted when Cal Booth hit that gimme in Utah, and you couldn't get your head around seeing the mavs on an SI cover, and you had to calm down all your defeatist wannabe basketball fan friends and tell them that we're going to crush the Blazers in game 7, and you had to tell them we could've beat the Spurs with a full squad, and you had to remind them that it's cuz the Mavs got heart, and you had your heart broken by Nash, and you didn't want to read the writing on the wall that spelled out F-I-N, and you've been telling all those dudes walking away that we could win it without Nash cuz Dirk's the real deal, and you've been telling 'em we're going to win it b/c you watched this team transform thru blood, sweat, tears, fears, all of it from that OT loss to PHO to the OT win at San Antone--- THEN YOU HATE BANDWAGON FANS. YOU HATE 'EM.

but you won't have to deal with them for too long. when Dirk goes down at some point or Josh leaves for money, etc... we know the deal. we know this is our time but that it's a moment that passes all too quickly. savor it. forget the bandwagon.

Last edited by mav_love; 06-09-2006 at 07:48 PM.
mav_love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #51
sly
Banned

sly can only hope to improve

I am impervious to bandwagon fans as they have no effect on anything. Anyone that is a real fan should be satisfied as such and not criticize people if they are bandwagoners. Try and set an example. They are like toilet water. Necessary, but kind of disgusting.

Me personally, I'm a Cowboys fan to the bone. The Mavs sucked, well until 2000 and were a joke in the Donald Carter era.

Personally, I don't start watching the Mavs until the stretch that decides tournament seedings. I follow what's going on, note the stats and how the season is going, and catch a game here and there, but don't start really watching until the playoffs.

My persepctive on basketball is different. Not every regular season game is "HUGE". That's the dynamic of NBA. In the regular season the energy level is timid. Come playoffs it's gigantic and the big players always deliver on defining moments more than any other sport. NBA playoffs is the most amazing sports played in my opinion... and after all the crap, all the hard-fought series of this century I couldn't help but holding back tears during the introduction of the players last night. I'm not a "die hard" Mavs fan by any stretch. The Cowboys take too much space in my heart... BUT... I do love the Mavs... and I'll be there to support all of you "die hards" and ring my friggin' bell loudly so that we get a moment we can all celebrate!

What a moment. I think it's up to everyone to enjoy this sport, or any sport the way they like. I don't know why it's a contest to some people. It all comes down to EGO. People feel like their "turf" is being trampled on by bandwagon fans and it's silly ridiculous. Passionate fans like to "take ownership" of their team and get protective and it's nonsense. Welcome new fans. Like the players they enjoy watching, also become something that gets them attatched... a welcoming fan.

Spurs fans? Screw them. They're scum.

Last edited by sly; 06-09-2006 at 08:26 PM.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #52
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
here's a little story on why i became a mavs fan.

i have lived in the portland, oregon area all my life. i semi-followed the blazers only because my dad and brother did. well we ALL hated the wcf team in the late 90s or whatever, and it only got worse from there. well anyway.. whatever year it was when they played portland in the first round... and portland came back to tie it 3-3...i finally watched every game of the series. I was just in awe of the dirk/nash combo, and they were so much fun to watch.

the thing that set me over the edge in that series was when pippen was in a huddle (and we all know how dirk respects pippens game), and scottie was like "guys dont worry about doubling dirk, i got this guy one on one" or something like that. dirk came out, schooled him, and put the game out of reach. it was just awesome.

the moment i knew i wanted to keep following this team was after the horrible Kerr 3-point shoot out. instead of jumping ship, all i wanted to do was write cuban some emails, check out some websites, and read some forums. i was hooked.

then dirk, over the last couple years, has changed me from obsessed fan... to a die hard mavs maniac. long live the mavs.
I grew up in Portland (Lake Oswego) too fluid. That's interesting. I moved to Dallas when I was a teenager though.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:12 PM   #53
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav_love
When your first time at a pro game was at Reunion Arena and you were hoping against hope that a 2-win Mavs team MIGHT finally win that night b/c they were playing an expansion team... and you grew up rooting for the likes Doug Smith and Darren Morningstar or Popeye Jones and Tony Dumas... and you had your heart broken when the arena stopped playing "Monster Mash" on the JumboTron... and you told yourself again and again that Chris Antsey could be a player, and you told yourself again and againt that Dirk Nowitzki wasn't the second coming of Chris Antsey, and you loved Mike Finley to DEATH, and you were electrified when we won 40 games, and you nearly fainted when Cal Booth hit that gimme in Utah, and you couldn't get your head around seeing the mavs on an SI cover, and you had to calm down all your defeatist wannabe basketball fan friends and tell them that we're going to crush the Blazers in game 7, and you had to tell them we could've beat the Spurs with a full squad, and you had to remind them that it's cuz the Mavs got heart, and you had your heart broken by Nash, and you didn't want to read the writing on the wall that spelled out F-I-N, and you've been telling all those dudes walking away that we could win it without Nash cuz Dirk's the real deal, and you've been telling 'em we're going to win it b/c you watched this team transform thru blood, sweat, tears, fears, all of it from that OT loss to PHO to the OT win at San Antone--- THEN YOU HATE BANDWAGON FANS. YOU HATE 'EM.

but you won't have to deal with them for too long. when Dirk goes down at some point or Josh leaves for money, etc... we know the deal. we know this is our time but that it's a moment that passes all too quickly. savor it. forget the bandwagon.
PREACH it, brother man! Great post.

Nice Hubie Brown work, as well.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #54
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

4Cwebb, good post.... Just know that your contributions have been and always will be welcome here as far as I'm concerned.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:09 AM   #55
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

I've been trying to figure out whether or not to call myself a bandwagon fan. Maybe you guys can help me figure it out?

I started dating my boyfriend, who grew up in Plano, at the beginning of my freshman (college) year, a little under two years ago. The first time he said "Dallas Mavericks," my reaction was "Huh? Who?" Yes... not being a basketball fan, I had never heard of them. But when spring rolled around, he convinced me to watch the playoffs with him. I won't say I fell in love with them immediately... I've always been more interested in playing sports than watching them. In fact, it took me awhile to even figure out where they were in the playoffs, the tournament format, and stuff like that. By that time, they were on the brink of their second round exit. I still very clearly remember the dejection in my boyfriend's voice as he told me that "the Mavericks do this every year... lose in the playoffs." Something must have drawn me to them subconsciously, though. Maybe it was Dirk, maybe it was Finley... actually, now that I think about it, it must have been AJ. I love watching him coach - not because I know what's going on in his head or understand why he does what he does, but because I can tell just by looking at him (particularly his eyes) that he's deadly serious and extremely passionate about the game.

So when this season started, it was me trying to convince him to watch games. I smile now when I think of the discussions we had before the season started about people saying the Mavs wouldn't do too well this year and that they wouldn't be a factor. Being more of a self-proclaimed "playoffs fan" (why, given the Mavs' past regular season vs. playoff performances, I'm not sure ) my boyfriend wasn't terribly enthused about watching the regular season, but I insisted. It wasn't because I thought they would win lots of games or be really exciting to watch, but because their determination and spirit appealed to me. It's not something you really see, but something you understand and know on a more intuitive level. I've since come to adore Dirk (of course), appreciate JHo's power, admire AJ's versatility... so much more. My boyfriend never really understood why I worried so much about the regular season, and I never really could explain it to him. This team gave me more stress than final exams last semester, but I guess that's the price you pay when you fall in love.

Wow... having typed this all out (sorry for the long post), I guess my own conclusion is... it doesn't matter whether or not I'm a "bandwagon fan" or I just picked a good time to become a Mavs fan (or be introduced to the Mavs?)... the only thing that matters is where I go from here. And I think I can safely say... MFFL. As long as this team doesn't quit, neither will I. (End cheese? )
iella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:35 AM   #56
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

I can't stand it either, or when people that don't follow the NBA make blanket comments. I was playing basketball at a park the other day and some idiot was going on about how lebron was too selfish to ever win a championship. I seriously wanted to punch the guy in the face.

the being said, I'm not going to let it sour me. I moved to the states in 1996 and immediately became an NBA fan, back when the only other sport i'd ever followed was Cricket. I started personally aching every time gary trent was injured, and I used to listen to Matt Pinto on the radio hoping to hell that Cedric Ceballos would get the damn ball. I haven't been as long suffering as a lot of the rest of you guys, but I think those days were greatly enjoyable just because the expectations were low.

I remember the sheer ecstasy of watching Nash hit a prayer 3 from halfcourt in game 3 against Utah when we started blowing them out. Now we're all in stunned disbelief STILL at Nowitzki's 3 point drive against San Antonio. I love this damn game, and I love this damn team, and I'm not gonna let anything sour this year - 20 years from now, when the team sucks, we're gonna say.. remember 2006???
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:40 AM   #57
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

regarding your post iella, I just feel bad for you. The agony of 13 win seasons, the feeling of accomplishment just for having the flying tiger michael finley make an all star team, steve kerr breaking our hearts when we felt like destiny's darlings, all of that just makes this year that much more special. it'll be hard to stay a mavs fan when this amount of success is your frame of reference for this team.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #58
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman
regarding your post iella, I just feel bad for you. The agony of 13 win seasons, the feeling of accomplishment just for having the flying tiger michael finley make an all star team, steve kerr breaking our hearts when we felt like destiny's darlings, all of that just makes this year that much more special. it'll be hard to stay a mavs fan when this amount of success is your frame of reference for this team.
I definitely understand what you mean... that's sort of the definition of a bandwagon fan, right? Only sticking around when the team is doing well? I wish I had the depth of "Mavs experience" that some of you guys on this board have had, no matter how painful... but at the same time, I trust that I'll be sticking around. Let's just say that I don't make commitments lightly.
iella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #59
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Yeah, it just bugs me when people become "fans" when the team is doiung well, and then say they suck and move on to a new team when their team starts having trouble.

Awesome post mav_love, that is why I hate bandwagon fans.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #60
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

O you people make me feel so old. Thanks goodness the Mavs make me feel so good.

I realize when I bought my first Mavs ticket in 1982, many of you were not born yet. It makes no sense to me blame anyone for when they got born or when they got smart. Have all the fun you can enjoying the Mavs. My satisfaction comes from surviving the decade in the wilderness. I've had my hopes crushed by 3 pointers from everyone, starting with Dr J, and Larry Bird, to Stephen Jackson, Steve Kerr and Steve Nash. Now they are all watching my Mavs on tv.

I feel way too good to blame anyone for trying to soak up a little of my joy. This week at least, there's plenty to go around. May the Mavs brain trust turn this team into a dynasty so powerful, Mavs fans can become as hated as Laker fans. Maybe then, I'll complain about the Bandwagon. But for now, there's plenty of room, so climb on. And read this board, so you can be a smart young fan, too.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #61
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
O you people make me feel so old. Thanks goodness the Mavs make me feel so good.

I realize when I bought my first Mavs ticket in 1982, many of you were not born yet. It makes no sense to me blame anyone for when they got born or when they got smart. Have all the fun you can enjoying the Mavs. My satisfaction comes from surviving the decade in the wilderness. I've had my hopes crushed by 3 pointers from everyone, starting with Dr J, and Larry Bird, to Stephen Jackson, Steve Kerr and Steve Nash. Now they are all watching my Mavs on tv.

I feel way too good to blame anyone for trying to soak up a little of my joy. This week at least, there's plenty to go around. May the Mavs brain trust turn this team into a dynasty so powerful, Mavs fans can become as hated as Laker fans. Maybe then, I'll complain about the Bandwagon. But for now, there's plenty of room, so climb on. And read this board, so you can be a smart young fan, too.

Love and peace all around!! Great stuff GMAN.. Good karma to all, let's not be selfish whith these great times.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #62
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

you rat ba$tards! You guys jinxed us. I hate all of you.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #63
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, what difference a year makes. Where did the band wagon go? What is left of the wagon is not much.

left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #64
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

hahaha, nice one LT.

It happens everywhere, bandwagon fans. To the Diehards, just enjoy the ride, the process makes the day even the more sweeter. I'm out here in Oakland, A's, Raiders, JKidd fan and let me tell you, bandwagon fans are the most irritating things in the world, they're the same people that will call you out when the team sucks, oh Chavez sucks, he's always hurt, blah, blah, to me I laugh at them, because come September and when the A's are in the race, I'll just smile and walk away, to me they're not worth it.

But the worst thing is when the NBA, MLB, NFL goes mainstream. You take the SuperBowl for instance, it's so commericialized, you have move stars, TV stars sitting in the stands, not knowing who Gibril Wilson is, or as mentioned earlier, who Stackhouse plays for. This is the part that makes me puke, I mean you have no allegiance to either team, but there you are sitting in 300 seats because the TV company wanted to plug your show. It's a shame that everything goes back to $$$.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #65
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Right on man....

I watched all 82 + playoffs for years now and I never thought the Mavs were going to win it all. Until now.
Remember this guy?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:02 PM   #66
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Remember this guy?
I really did too. I really did.

Everyone knows what happened next.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #67
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

What a time warp. Can I go hang myself now?
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #68
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDipping
What a time warp. Can I go hang myself now?
yes
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #69
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

this thread kinda depressed me!

to be honest, I kinda think I was initially a bandwagon.. I started liking this team due to their hot start in 2002 and because Cuban, Nowitzki, Nash, and Finley were all intriguing to me. Before that I didn't follow the NBA that much and didn't really have an NBA team. In fact, I live in Ohio!

Now though, I consider myself a MFFL... I've invested a lot of emotion into this team whether it be rational or not... so many games watched, so many box scores observed, so many posts made, so much pain endured... it'll make a title taste even sweeter, whenever it comes (THIS YEAR!!!)
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #70
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

"Wake me up when the Mavs start winning!"
-The Bandwagon

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-27-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #71
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Happier times, that was our peak... it seemed like everything was going right. We had a team good enough to get to the finals, an emerging superstar (who was on the verge of destroying his now everlasting 'soft euro choker guy' label), and youth... being a Mavs fan is absolutely painful but at least we know who the real fans are.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:03 PM   #72
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

That time was our reward for the losingest decade that any NBA franchise ever had (namely the 1990's)...

I'd personally say that I do not really believe that we're done with those winning Dirk-era times yet, but hopefully, even if this ship is capsizing and the braintrust finds itself unable to right the fella, I would not imagine that the Mavs would descend quite so far into the horrid depths as we did in the 90's, and I'd bet that more Dallas folks will continue to stay true to their team and follow and support their Mavs than did so during our descent from the Western conference elite 15 years ago or especially during the truly terrible Perot group, pre-Big Don late 90's...
Old 03-27-2008, 11:25 PM   #73
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I listened to almost every game on the radio when we went 11-71. Ted Davis on WBAP.

Next year will be season 7 of season tickets for me. I'll be there. I just hope that Avery isn't. And a handful of spares currently on the team.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:25 AM   #74
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Threads about the Heat series are like a stab to the heart.

And then the stomach.

And then the throat.

And then the abdomen.

And then, just for good measure, the spleen.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote