Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 06-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #41
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
I think it is a load of crap. I lost my social security card this year. It was a pain to replace, my birth certificate was at my folks. Should I have not been able to vote?

Just more ways to keep poor people down if you ask me.

Also I believe in unicorns, Santa Clause, and the importance of these threads.
If you can cash a check...I think you should be able to show who you are? Buy a beer? Anything?

Got a license? Got an idcard..(looks pretty easy to get)/.

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/id-cards.php
Quote:
If you don't happen to have a driver's license (say you're too young or your license is suspended―or you just don't wish to drive), you will probably want to get a Texas identification card instead. This will serve to identify you for most purposes in the State of Texas.
Without a driver's license to show, a Texas ID card is your ticket to boarding an airplane, checking into a hotel, entering a bar, cashing a check, and many other day-to-day activities that require state-issued ID.
The basic procedure is similar to obtaining a driver license, but without any testing requirements. Furthermore, there are no age restrictions. Any Texas resident can get one as long as they can provide proof of identity. In fact, many parents get them for their children.
You mean voting is so unimportant that folks can't be bothered to get an ID card to make sure they can do it?

I continue to NOT see the big deal with requiring someone to prove who they are to vote.

Since EVERY vote counts...shouldn't EVERY vote be valid? Or should someones valid vote be negated by an invalid one?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 06-03-2009 at 08:11 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #42
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog View Post
to be accurate, my statements were that "there have been relatively few cases of fraud shown to exist." and "the instances of actual voter fraud are few and far between".

do you have information to the contrary?
no. and I'm not making any statement about whether there is or isn't fraud going on. How do you know how much (little) fraud is going on?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #43
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
If you can cash a check...I think you should be able to show who you are? Buy a beer? Anything?

You mean voting is so unimportant that folks can't be bothered to get an ID card to make sure they can do it?

I continue to NOT see the big deal with requiring someone to prove who they are to vote.

Since EVERY vote counts...shouldn't EVERY vote be valid? Or should someones valid vote be negated by an invalid one?
Fair enough, this seems to me like a non issue for most people, the only ones affected are too uneducated to know how to obtain an id or too poor to afford one. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to vote.... what is your opinion of unicorns?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #44
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
no. and I'm not making any statement about whether there is or isn't fraud going on. How do you know how much (little) fraud is going on?
how many cases of voting fraud have you read about?
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #45
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:

there is a cost to get these id cards. this in affect becomes just like a poll tax where a person must pay for the right to vote.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #46
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fair enough, this seems to me like a non issue for most people, the only ones affected are too uneducated to know how to obtain an id or too poor to afford one. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to vote.... what is your opinion of unicorns?
The whole unicorn thing is stupid. And to be honest if someone is too stupid to get an id, maybe they shouldn't be voting anyway.

If they want to vote, prove who they are, if not they don't care that much.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #47
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
there is a cost to get these id cards. this in affect becomes just like a poll tax where a person must pay for the right to vote.
15 bucks it appears to get an id to vote for the rest of your life. Lets' see 50 years or so at 15 bucks...30c/year.

This is NOTHING like a poll tax...
Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #48
Mavdog
Diamond Member

the id cards are valid (like drivers license) for 6 years, so no it isn't "for the rest of your life".

there should not be any monetary cost to exercising one's right to vote. none.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #49
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
the id cards are valid (like drivers license) for 6 years, so no it isn't "for the rest of your life".

there should not be any monetary cost to exercising one's right to vote. none.
Whatever mavie. So either do it like the seniors
Quote:
Those 60 and over get a break―an ID card costs only $5 and never needs to be renewed.
or make it free. Problem solved, everyone happy.

So if it was a free voters ID card you wouldn't have a problem, correct?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #50
Mavdog
Diamond Member

what is the purpose to require an id beyond having the voters card?

you realize that a voter currently has to have either the card or an id.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #51
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The whole unicorn thing is stupid. And to be honest if someone is too stupid to get an id, maybe they shouldn't be voting anyway.

If they want to vote, prove who they are, if not they don't care that much.
Unicorn's probably don't believe in you either.

How feel you about Unicron?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #52
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
what is the purpose to require an id beyond having the voters card?

you realize that a voter currently has to have either the card or an id.
I believe they may have to have both don't they? A registration card and an id showing you are who you say you are. If the voters card had a positive ID on it, that would be fine. But as it is, it's pretty useless as an id, that's why you can't cash a check with it. Anyone could take my registration card and vote.

Or just an ID will suffice without the registration card as long as you are registered.

So was that a yes...If it were free you would be okay with it?

Like instant replay, some folks just want to get it right.

Last edited by dude1394; 06-03-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #53
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Unicorn's probably don't believe in you either.

How feel you about Unicron?
Sounds about the same.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #54
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sounds about the same.
Blasphemy!
That's it!!!!
I am revoking your license to see Michael Bay movies!!!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #55
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Blasphemy!
That's it!!!!
I am revoking your license to see Michael Bay movies!!!!!
Ah...a transformer.. I see.

Now I recall the transformers toys...but I never really saw a large following like, star wars, star trek or even the terminator/aliens movies.

Heck even the Predator series seems more popular that these dudes.

And the dude did Pearl Harbor for gosh sakes!! How can he actually show his face?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #56
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ah...a transformer.. I see.

Now I recall the transformers toys...but I never really saw a large following like, star wars, star trek or even the terminator/aliens movies.

Heck even the Predator series seems more popular that these dudes.

And the dude did Pearl Harbor for gosh sakes!! How can he actually show his face?
Are you too old to be using the internet?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #57
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Are you too old to be using the internet?
Absolutely...
Old 06-04-2009, 03:20 AM   #58
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #59
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
how many cases of voting fraud have you read about?
Other than the posts in this thread, I haven't read anything that might conclude anything related to how much fraud is going on. Do you not have anything that leads you to believe there is a little fraud going on?

Quote:
to be accurate, my statements were that "there have been relatively few cases of fraud shown to exist." and
where was this shown?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #60
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
I believe they may have to have both don't they? A registration card and an id showing you are who you say you are. If the voters card had a positive ID on it, that would be fine. But as it is, it's pretty useless as an id, that's why you can't cash a check with it. Anyone could take my registration card and vote.

Or just an ID will suffice without the registration card as long as you are registered.

So was that a yes...If it were free you would be okay with it?

Like instant replay, some folks just want to get it right.
no, if you have your voter registration card you don't need a second ID, they look at the signature on the card to match to the signature on the sign in sheet. you sign the sheet and they give you a ballot. if you don't have the registration card you show your ID.

I've got no problem with a photo on the voter registration card. this would need to be done so there's no cost and its easy to provide.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #61
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
Other than the posts in this thread, I haven't read anything that might conclude anything related to how much fraud is going on. Do you not have anything that leads you to believe there is a little fraud going on?

where was this shown?
just google and see how many times there has been voter fraud committed.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #62
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
just google and see how many times there has been voter fraud committed.
"the interwebs" told you so?

You don't have a link to a study or report that you trust?

Tags
fluff cocaine, fluff the tragic dragon, fluffy banter, mr. fluffleupagus