Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future
Default My draft board for the mavs at 17

This is assuming mavs don't move up or down the pick here is how my board would look

Won't be available:
Anthony Davis
Thomas Robinson
Bradley Beadley
MKG
Andre Drummond
Jared Sullinger
Jeremy Lamb
John Henson
Damian Lillard
Austin Rivers
Dion Waiters

My order of preference:
1. Tyler Zeller C (it's unlikely he is there at 17 but if he is he would be a tremoundous pickup for mavs, athletic, rebounds at a great rate, can be a terrific pick n roll defender as a big, solid shot blocker and finisher, makes free throw)
2. Terrence Jones PF (Jones is a PF who is extremely athletic and skilled, can take bigs off the dribble, block shots, and occasionally hit the mid range jumper, only problem with him is he sometimes hides from the game when he struggles early)
3. Terrence Ross SG/SF (A good catch and shoot guy who can really defend any of the 1-3 positions, knows his role but without good handles wont be able to create much)
4. Royce White PF( will be a good role player but not sure just how much he can score at his size at the 4, very good athlete though that can rebound very well, weakness is free throw shooting and he is a bit of a tweener)
5. Moe Harkless SF (This would be more of a upside pick, he is a tremoundous athlete that rebounds great and makes a presense on defensive end, his offense is very raw and will take 2-3 years to get most of him on that end)
Old 06-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

They have to take the best player available at whatever position. But looking at this list of candidates and assuming they stay at 17... I hope they select one of these players:

1) Moe Harkless
He may not be an outstanding player in a star mode but he looks like he would be a really solid NBA player playing off of other great players. And he shines without the ball. And that would be a valuable asset with Dirk still here or with Deron coming.

2) Arnett Moultrie
He could be that mobile big man that the Mavs need when they let Chandler walk. He has the size and the athleticism to catch alley oops from anyone. He also has a great motor.

3) Royce White
His rebounding and size are a big help for the Mavs paired with Dirk. He looks like a solid all around type of player.

4) Jeff Taylor
Maybe not able to create his own shot that great, but he is extremely athletic... can shoot well, and can d it up. Not a bad player to have when Dirk gets doubled, or when Deron comes off the pick and roll. Thabo part II?
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Jared Sullinger red flagged by NBA doctors, back issue:

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/sto...er-sources-say

Quote:
Ohio State Buckeyes big man Jared Sullinger has been medically red flagged by NBA doctors, multiple league sources told ESPN.com on Monday.

Sullinger, who is projected to be a lottery pick in the 2012 NBA draft, underwent a series of medical tests at the NBA draft combine a week ago. According to sources, the doctors who looked at Sullinger were concerned with Sullinger's back.

Sullinger's agent, David Falk, when reached via phone by ESPN.com said that he was not in a position to comment on the story.

Sullinger's father, Satch Sullinger, said he believes the issue isn't that serious.

"He had a bulging area that was due to his hamstring and quads being so tight," Satch Sullinger told ESPN.com senior college basketball writer Andy Katz in a phone call Monday afternoon. "It pulled on his hip flexor and he's been taking care of it to loosen it. You can call it a red flag if you want. But it's tight hamstring and tight quads. He's been to doctors, he's doing yoga and deep tissue massage. The flexibility is helping take the pressure off the area.

"We've got nothing to hide. At this stage it's all about what they can't do. Jared is a skilled player. A two-time All-American. He can play."

A number of NBA team doctors have reviewed the information from the NBA and have told their front office staff that Sullinger's back issues could shorten his NBA career and some have advised their teams not to draft him in the first round.

ESPN.com currently has Sullinger slated to go No. 10 in Mock Draft 7.0.

Sullinger, who missed two games for Ohio State in early December with back spasms, worked out in New Orleans on Monday. He also previously worked out for Golden State and Portland. He's scheduled to meet with Toronto (Thursday), Cleveland (Friday) and Detroit (June 26).

In 2009, Pittsburgh's DeJuan Blair was also red flagged by the NBA when medical tests at the NBA combine revealed he didn't have ACL's in either knee. At the time Blair was projected as a late lottery pick. He slid all the way out of the first round.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

TBH I don't know that I'd ever be in favor of drafting a guy for athleticism or "motor" alone. I'll take guys with more limited upsides that possess tangible basketball skills over athletic projects any day.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

Id take Fab Melo if it were me.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Fab Melo's comparison is Brendan Haywood. I hope the Mavs can find a player with more upside than that.

If they pick Fab Melo, I will be disappointed.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Really? Fab Melo's comparison is Brendan Haywood. I hope the Mavs can find a player with more upside than that.

Getting Brendan Haywood with the 17th pick in the draft would be a job very, very well done.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Fab Melo is actually a decent passer from the high post. Wont ever be confused
with Sabonis, but he at least has a natural feel for it. Melo is also more athletic, quick and springy than Haywood ever was. Melo is also an excellent help defender. SU plays almost entirely zone so Melo will need reps as a man-to-man defender, something which Haywood excells at, so its hard to say how he'd fair banging against bigger bodies in the NBA.

Haywood is also an instinctive and willing offensive rebounder, when he wants to be. I dont really see the comparison. Even temperamentally they are very different- Melo being very emotional even goofy on the court while Haywood is stoic and inscrutable
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Bayliss

Quote:
Getting Brendan Haywood with the 17th pick in the draft would be a job very, very well done.
Brendan Haywood was a solid center when he was younger. But like I said I hope they get someone with a higher ceiling. And also the way the NBA is going, especially big men, the Mavs would be better served to get a big that is more mobile, that can catch and finish around the rim as well as play well on pick and rolls.

That is what made Tyson so special for the Mavs because of the work paired with Dirk.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
Bayliss

So are there any players who you would NOT want the Mavs to draft because you think they will be horrible pros?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
So are there any players who you would NOT want the Mavs to draft because you think they will be horrible pros?
I hope the Mavs don't draft me, I don't think I'm ready for the NBA... yet!

Last edited by saclare; 06-20-2012 at 09:44 PM.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #12
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Honestly I love the position mavs are drafting in, lots of value in the 15-25 area not a lot of guys i dont love here, not a big fan of Fab Melo or Meyers Leonard however.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Lakers like Perry Jones/Quincy Miller, trying to get into the 1st round.

One of my favs in this draft is Perry Jones and right now seems the kid is dropping, any chance the mavs have interest in him.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
mavs777
Diamond Member

I could see Perry falling to 17 but he is supposedly insistant that he will play the 3, he doesn't have the handles or jumper for that, his much more natural position is the 4.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
Bayliss

And it looks like Royce White knows where he is going. The Celtics promised him they would pick him at 21 or 22. And they have cancelled all of his workouts.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #16
mavs777
Diamond Member

Well a team could still select him before that.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #17
Bayliss

Quote:
Well a team could still select him before that.
True. But if they really wanted him, then they probably would have done the same thing that Boston just did.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #18
HueyFreeman

HueyFreeman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
I could see Perry falling to 17 but he is supposedly insistant that he will play the 3, he doesn't have the handles or jumper for that, his much more natural position is the 4.
I disagree. The times I saw him play his displayed smooth handles (always looking up, rarely getting stripped, etc.) and above average facilitating. His jumper definitely needs to improve if he wants to play the 3. 15-18 feet is his comfort level which may not be ideal aside Dirk.
"Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore, trust the physician and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility." - Khalil Gibran

HueyFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #19
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Players that have shown glimpses with their potential and have his size don't really drop very often. I would be very surprised if he was still hanging around after the lottery.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Players that have shown glimpses with their potential and have his size don't really drop very often. I would be very surprised if he was still hanging around after the lottery.
I agree. There is no way Perry Jones drops to 17. He's too skilled and athletic.
Still think some team takes a chance in the top 10. He's like Rudy Gay 2.0
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #21
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Too hard to use an existing thread so we dont have again double and triple discussions?
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #22
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Too hard to use an existing thread so we dont have again double and triple discussions?
Yes
Old 06-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #23
Songbard

Songbard is just really niceSongbard is just really niceSongbard is just really niceSongbard is just really niceSongbard is just really niceSongbard is just really nice

Anybody feel like Ross would be a good draft pick if he's available? Seems like Mavs could use a player with his skill set.
Songbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #24
mavs777
Diamond Member

According to Chad Ford mavs have actively explored moving up in the draft last couple of days, he has us taking Terrence Jones at 17 and Tornike Shengelia at 55 (who I honestly have no clue about). Jones is one I would be ecstatic about, he has a ton of potential and is really skilled, just has some effort issues (same for moultrie).