Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default Luol Deng

Is there any opportunity here for the Mavs to get in on Luol Deng?

He's under contract through 2014, which if acquired by our beloved Mavs, takes us out of the DHo free agency sweepstakes, but inserts a great third player next to Dirk and Deron if he signs.

According to rumors, the Warriors are interested in getting Deng, but have no salary relief or cap space to execute on the trade, while a trade of Odom, Carter, and the #17 pick for Deng works.

This also gives you the ability to put better assets into place aside from Marion, Haywood when Dwight inevitably demands another trade next season. The other thing this does is it allows you to free up a ton of cap space with Dirk, Marion, and Deng all coming off the cap after the 2013-2014 season.

Thoughts?
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like the Bulls could do better than Odom/Carter/#17 for Deng...

But if they said "yes," it'd be a brilliant move for Dallas.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ambivalent on Deng. He is an above average player. Not a star by any means but a very capable player on both sides of the ball. Offensively he would help the Mavs because he can score on his own and he can shoot the ball pretty well.

But he is one of those "maxed out" type of players in what you see is what you get. And I'd rather the Mavs keep the 17th pick.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
nodir41

nodir41 has a spectacular aura aboutnodir41 has a spectacular aura aboutnodir41 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
I'm ambivalent on Deng. He is an above average player. Not a star by any means but a very capable player on both sides of the ball. Offensively he would help the Mavs because he can score on his own and he can shoot the ball pretty well.

But he is one of those "maxed out" type of players in what you see is what you get. And I'd rather the Mavs keep the 17th pick.

I think we d have to trade roddy odom haywood for him...would fill the bulls needs till rose comes back...
i would do it, i doubt Bulls would...

Maybe it is just better to trade for a better pick or keep it for cap reasons?!

it all stands and falls with D-Wills decision next week

Last edited by nodir41; 06-25-2012 at 04:42 AM.
nodir41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

The rumor I heard was with the Warriors that included Wright, somebody else ( I forget), and the 7th pick. Basically, the only way they do it is for young players. I really think we have no shot at even possibly getting him.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

He's overpayed, Bulls will surely get a top 10 pick for him tho.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

You won't see him in camp, and probably the first month or 2 of the season. Torn ligaments in his hand, he toughed it out during the season and now he's giving it a go in the Olympics.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say no, based on the fact that he knows that he has fairly major surgery on the horizon and is choosing to play the Olympics instead of getting it done and getting his rehab started. Unless the Bulls would take Odom/Haywood off our hands for him.

But I think you can find Deng's production in a number of less expensive places.

Last edited by spreedom; 06-25-2012 at 08:21 PM.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Why would it be a brilliant move? Deng can't play the SG position. Good depth move? Probably, but brilliant? We need a SG, and preferably a great long range shooter. Deng is a good shooter, but he's not a great shooter, streaky if anything. Also, as spreedom wrote, there is a good change he'll have a late surgery after the olympics in september, so he can be out for quite some time next season.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
nodir41

nodir41 has a spectacular aura aboutnodir41 has a spectacular aura aboutnodir41 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Why would it be a brilliant move? Deng can't play the SG position. Good depth move? Probably, but brilliant? We need a SG, and preferably a great long range shooter. Deng is a good shooter, but he's not a great shooter, streaky if anything. Also, as spreedom wrote, there is a good change he'll have a late surgery after the olympics in september, so he can be out for quite some time next season.
Deng would be nothing more then a solid move to get odom and haywood of the books...

i think we could do better with draft picks this year...

Odom Beabouis Haywood and pick 17 vor 2 solid top 15 picks would give us a lot of options for years to come...
nodir41 is offline   Reply With Quote