Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 10-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts
Default Great observation regarding the delusion of the Right Wing in America

Quote:
Anyway, I’d like to throw in my two cents on Romney’s most easily demonstrated blunder, his claim that Obama waited two weeks before calling the Benghazi attack an act of terror. Maybe you have to remember the Bush administration to realize just how NOT accidental this blunder was; in at least two ways it went to the heart of the modern right-wing identity.

First, there’s the notion that posturing and talking tough is what it’s all about. Bush, you may recall, was hailed as a fighter against terrorism because he, well, gave tough-talking speeches. I mean, he stood on a mound of rubble and pledged to get Osama dead or alive. Somehow, for his devotees, this made him a hero even though he never got Osama either way, and in fact showed remarkably little interest in pursuing the people actually responsible for 9/11.
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/201...DA58309FCDC868
SeanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts

Rachel Maddow makes the same observation:

Quote:
Mitt Romney, repeating a story told about this subject on the Right, in a way that is very satisfying to conservatives. The way this story is told on the Right is a story that tells conservatives exactly what they want to hear and what they want to believe about that bad bad President Obama, a comforting story about how this bad president never used that word "terror" in talking about these attacks until TWO WEEKS after they happened. This awful guy! I mean, that story must feel great if you are a conservative, if you're against this president.

If you only experience reality as mediated through the conservative media, you might think that is really what happened.

That is not what happened.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#49456831
Old 10-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I don't the whole pseudo-outrage that it took "TWO WEEKS" to give it a name. Who cares? Doesn't change what happened one bit.

Last edited by chumdawg; 10-18-2012 at 06:40 PM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

I think you got that wrong.
- Foreign powers are invading them Libyans Country and the citizens disagree. So, they resist and they are right here.
- And the Ambassador called for help 2 or 3 weeks prior to the attack. That is to blame on the state dept. for sure. The Obama Administration failed big time.
If i had to take responsibility for the death of high ranked employees and subalternates due to the malfunction of an office, i´m lastly accountable for, i´d shot myself.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
SeanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
- Foreign powers are invading them Libyans Country and the citizens disagree. So, they resist and they are right here.
- And the Ambassador called for help 2 or 3 weeks prior to the attack. That is to blame on the state dept. for sure. The Obama Administration failed big time.
If i had to take responsibility for the death of high ranked employees and subalternates due to the malfunction of an office, i´m lastly accountable for, i´d shot myself.
At least 7 embassies were attacked during the Bush administration with far more casualties. Did you criticize Bush for even one of those attacks?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
I wouldn't call it a "malfunction of an office." We could have put a battalion there if we had wanted to. But of course, we can't do that everywhere.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL View Post
At least 7 embassies were attacked during the Bush administration with far more casualties. Did you criticize Bush for even one of those attacks?
Well such and such did it toooooo..... and they were worse than me.

LOL- Typical

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
SeanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Well such and such did it toooooo..... and they were worse than me.

LOL- Typical
Actually you misstated my position. I don't think Bush deserves blame for the embassy attacks, nor do I think Obama deserves blame. It is very hard - almost impossible - to keep dozens of U.S. embassies in the Arab world safe from terrorist attacks. As crazy as that may sound to you, it is true.

Unlike you I'm consistent in that I'm not criticizing either President. But after one embassy attack you have conservatives coming out of the wood work lambasting Obama, while at the same time they were silent when the problem was much worse under Bush. They are hypocrites and craven political opportunists.

Last edited by SeanL; 10-19-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL View Post
Actually you misstated my position. I don't think Bush deserves blame for the embassy attacks, nor do I think Obama deserves blame. It is very hard - almost impossible - to keep dozens of U.S. embassies in the Arab world safe from terrorist attacks. As crazy as that may sound to you, it is true.

Unlike you I'm consistent in that I'm not criticizing either President. But after one embassy attack you have conservatives coming out of the wood work lambasting Obama, while at the same time they were silent when the problem was much worse under Bush. They are hypocrites and craven political opportunists.
I wasn't mis-stating anything. I quoted from above. I actually wasn't getting onto you persa -- I just had a child who did the same thing to me. Such and such did it, and they were worse than me.

I just stated that this is typical in America today -- don't address the issue, but place blame somewhere else and claim it is worse that what "ZZZ" did.

I think all of the presidents since before my time ...... have not been there for the best of the people but out for the best for themselves. And I know that they don't speak for or represent me well.

--- And just as a question- are you in the security business, or how do you know it is almost impossible to defend an embassy? I am curious how much military and tactical training and combat you have seen. PS: I think you are absolutely correct here -- but am curious why I should listen to what you have to say about it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
SeanL

Quote:
I wasn't mis-stating anything. I quoted from above. I actually wasn't getting onto you persa -- I just had a child who did the same thing to me. Such and such did it, and they were worse than me.
If you were talking in generalities then why did you reply to my post? Seems like you are covering your arse now.

Quote:
--- And just as a question- are you in the security business, or how do you know it is almost impossible to defend an embassy? I am curious how much military and tactical training and combat you have seen. PS: I think you are absolutely correct here -- but am curious why I should listen to what you have to say about it.
No I'm not a security expert, nor am I an economist, nor am I a former NBA player. But guess what? I have opinions about all those things. That is what this forum is for. You don't have to listen to me if you don't want to. But don't try to shut me up (which is what you are trying to do whether you'll admit it or not) just because you don't like where I'm coming from.

And if you want to have a legitimate debate then fine, but if you are going to argue in bad faith and make ad hominem statements then we are done here.

Last edited by SeanL; 10-19-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Succinctly put.

Quote:
How Conservative Media Lost to the MSM and Failed the Rank and File

By Conor Friedersdorf

Nate Silver was right. His ideological antagonists were wrong. And that's just the beginning of the right's self-created information disadvantage.

Before rank-and-file conservatives ask, "What went wrong?", they should ask themselves a question every bit as important: "Why were we the last to realize that things were going wrong for us?"

Barack Obama just trounced a Republican opponent for the second time. But unlike four years ago, when most conservatives saw it coming, Tuesday's result was, for them, an unpleasant surprise. So many on the right had predicted a Mitt Romney victory, or even a blowout -- Dick Morris, George Will, and Michael Barone all predicted the GOP would break 300 electoral votes. Joe Scarborough scoffed at the notion that the election was anything other than a toss-up. Peggy Noonan insisted that those predicting an Obama victory were ignoring the world around them. Even Karl Rove, supposed political genius,
missed the bulls-eye. These voices drove the coverage on Fox News, talk radio, the Drudge Report, and conservative blogs.

Those audiences were misinformed.

Outside the conservative media, the narrative was completely different. Its driving force was Nate Silver, whose performance forecasting Election '08 gave him credibility as he daily explained why his model showed that President Obama enjoyed a very good chance of being reelected. Other experts echoed his findings. Readers of
The New York Times, The Atlantic, and other "mainstream media" sites besides knew the expert predictions, which have been largely borne out. The conclusions of experts are not sacrosanct. But Silver's expertise was always a better bet than relying on ideological hacks like Morris or the anecdotal impressions of Noonan.

Sure, Silver could've wound up wrong. But people who rejected the possibility of his being right? They were operating at a self-imposed information disadvantage.

Conservatives should be familiar with its contours. For years, they've been arguing that liberal control of media and academia confers one advantage: Folks on the right can't help but be familiar with the thinking of liberals, whereas leftists can operate entirely within a liberal cocoon. This analysis was offered to explain why liberal ideas were growing weaker and would be defeated.

Today?

It is easy to close oneself off inside a conservative echo chamber. And right-leaning outlets like Fox News and Rush Limbaugh's show are far more intellectually closed than CNN or public radio. If you're a rank-and-file conservative, you're probably ready to acknowledge that ideologically friendly media didn't accurately inform you about Election 2012. Some pundits engaged in wishful thinking; others feigned confidence in hopes that it would be a self-fulfilling prophecy; still others decided it was smart to keep telling right-leaning audiences what they wanted to hear.

But guess what?

You haven't just been misinformed about the horse race. Since the very beginning of the election cycle, conservative media has been failing you. With a few exceptions, they haven't tried to rigorously tell you the truth, or even to bring you intellectually honest opinion. What they've done instead helps to explain why the right failed to triumph in a very winnable election.

Why do you keep putting up with it?

Conservatives were at a disadvantage because Romney supporters like Jennifer Rubin and Hugh Hewitt saw it as their duty to spin constantly for their favored candidate rather than being frank about his strengths and weaknesses. What conservative
Washington Post readers got, when they traded in Dave Weigel for Rubin, was a lot more hackery and a lot less informed about the presidential election.

Conservatives were at an information disadvantage because so many right-leaning outlets wasted time on stories the rest of America dismissed as nonsense.
WorldNetDaily brought you birtherism. Forbesbrought you Kenyan anti-colonialism. National Review obsessed about an imaginary rejection of American exceptionalism, misrepresenting an Obama quote in the process, and Andy McCarthy was interviewed widely about his theory that Obama, aka the Drone Warrior in Chief, allied himself with our Islamist enemies in a "Grand Jihad" against America. Seriously?

Conservatives were at a disadvantage because their information elites pandered in the most cynical, self-defeating ways, treating would-be candidates like Sarah Palin and Herman Cain as if they were plausible presidents rather than national jokes who'd lose worse than George McGovern.

How many months were wasted on them?

How many hours of Glenn Beck conspiracy theories did Fox News broadcast to its viewers? How many hours of transparently mindless Sean Hannity content is still broadcast daily? Why don't Americans trust Republicans on foreign policy as they once did? In part because conservatism hasn't grappled with the foreign-policy failures of George W. Bush. A conspiracy of silence surrounds the subject. Romney could neither run on the man's record nor repudiate it. The most damaging Romney gaffe of the campaign, where he talked about how the 47 percent of Americans who pay no income taxes are a lost cause for Republicans? Either he was unaware that many of those people are Republican voters, or was pandering to GOP donors who are misinformed. Either way, bad information within the conservative movement was to blame.

In conservative fantasy-land, Richard Nixon was
a champion of ideological conservatism, tax cuts arethe only way to raise revenue, adding neoconservatives to a foreign-policy team reassures American voters, Benghazi was a winning campaign issue, Clint Eastwood's convention speech was a brilliant triumph, and Obama's America is a place where black kids can beat up white kids with impunity. Most conservative pundits know better than this nonsense -- not that they speak up against it. They see criticizing their own side as a sign of disloyalty. I see a coalition that has lost all perspective, partly because there's no cost to broadcasting or publishing inane bullshit. In fact, it's often very profitable. A lot of cynical people have gotten rich broadcasting and publishing red meat for movement conservative consumption.

On the biggest political story of the year, the conservative media just got its ass handed to it by the mainstream media. And movement conservatives, who believe the MSM is more biased and less rigorous than their alternatives, have no way to explain how their trusted outlets got it wrong, while the
New York Times got it right. Hint: The Times hired the most rigorous forecaster it could find.

It ought to be an eye-opening moment.

But I expect that it'll be quickly forgotten, that none of the conservatives who touted a polling conspiracy will be discredited, and that the right will continue to operate at an information disadvantage. After all, it's not like they'll trust the analysis of a non-conservative like me more than the numerous fellow conservatives who constantly tell them things that turn out not to be true.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 11-20-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Agreed, many conservatives went at this with blinders...saddly.

What we have is a dependant state that has been mis-guided by those in power. They have pushed the evils of freedom and extole the greatness of government dependancy.

What we have now is something eerily familiar...The last time I watched Pink Floyd's "The Wall" ... Obama and the leftist majority of the democrats have become the power...this nation has turned into the sheep who blindly follow, not realizing that they are being lead to slaughter.

Back during the industrial revolution, there was a serious need for Unions and those to fight against the power of the "Empire Elite" Conditions in America were extremely poor...but those times have changed.

Now the power has been taken by those who fight, but they enjoy that power and they want to keep it but continously keeping the people below them in need of their "Gift"

This dependancy state is keeping people from tapping into their own greatness by being content with the measly handouts from the government. The problem with this concept is that eventually those handouts will dry up and by then, those that built and continue to produce will have moved on, tired of the fight.

The glory days of America are behind her, saddly the fall is at the hands of greed, but not the greed of enterprising business builders...rather the greed for power from those who exploit the needs of the impoverished. The greed of the Leftist Elite is destroying this once great nation.

Sad to see our freedoms being eroded away and willingly by so many. Those who celebrate with the Left, enjoy it while you can...your own leaders will be the ones destroying your dreams...unfortunately, they will have already destroyed the very ones who have the solutions to keep us a prosperous nation.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Blinders? You had a choice Corndog Back That Thang Up Bachman, Mute Hominey, Newt Washed Up Sandwich and looks like to me the GOP picked Mute.

Misguided? Watch more fixed news and Carl Rover & guide what you want. Vote if you want to be guided. If you lose, come back in 4 with McSame, Baracuda or whomever you like and guide with that.

Let's not knock Pink Floyd. The nation spoke and Mute was not in the plans. Do you think the gop can guide? Mute & most of the gop are robots asking what can i say or do today and they get information from Fixed News. The gop can't speak because they will get kicked to the curb like Luger if they speak with an open mind. Gop equals robot.

Handouts? That is just more robot talk. Now spill us a line on gay's, latino's, women, and taxes. Oh i almost forgot, is the Dems going to take our fishing poles away? Now chime in on guns and fishing poles.

Freedom's? What all freedom's have been taken away from you? Looks like people in CO can now smoke a joint. I don't think Obama started the Patriot Act. Has anyone took your guns and fishing poles from you? All this spew is just more robot talk. Mute listened and said what the robots told him and he lost and now same talk, differ day. Oh and what about Mute saving on his taxes by taking his money elsewhere. How about jobs being sent to China, Mexico, etc? It's not a Dem thang, it's who can save a buck by hiding money or sending jobs elsewhere to save a dollar or hide them dollar bills where they don't pay as much tax as they should. It's more a mute & robot thang than a dem thang. It's time to go back to Larry Craig & Ted Haggard and show more passionate conservitism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Agreed, many conservatives went at this with blinders...saddly.

What we have is a dependant state that has been mis-guided by those in power. They have pushed the evils of freedom and extole the greatness of government dependancy.

What we have now is something eerily familiar...The last time I watched Pink Floyd's "The Wall" ... Obama and the leftist majority of the democrats have become the power...this nation has turned into the sheep who blindly follow, not realizing that they are being lead to slaughter.

Back during the industrial revolution, there was a serious need for Unions and those to fight against the power of the "Empire Elite" Conditions in America were extremely poor...but those times have changed.

Now the power has been taken by those who fight, but they enjoy that power and they want to keep it but continously keeping the people below them in need of their "Gift"

This dependancy state is keeping people from tapping into their own greatness by being content with the measly handouts from the government. The problem with this concept is that eventually those handouts will dry up and by then, those that built and continue to produce will have moved on, tired of the fight.

The glory days of America are behind her, saddly the fall is at the hands of greed, but not the greed of enterprising business builders...rather the greed for power from those who exploit the needs of the impoverished. The greed of the Leftist Elite is destroying this once great nation.

Sad to see our freedoms being eroded away and willingly by so many. Those who celebrate with the Left, enjoy it while you can...your own leaders will be the ones destroying your dreams...unfortunately, they will have already destroyed the very ones who have the solutions to keep us a prosperous nation.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote