Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 11-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Luol Deng?

I'd like him in Mavs' Blue.

Heard that the Bulls would like to move his 15mil

Elite (or near elite) level on the ball defender. Would be PERFECT next to Ellis/Calderon.

Not sexy, but would help the Mavs be sexier/better. (Plus, he is only 29)

Not sure what it would cost or if we have the parts the Bulls would want...

But what are your thoughts about Deng as a player or a his "fit" w the Mavs?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 11-26-2013 at 11:53 AM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Chicago would have to move some players or a third team gets involved, but Larkin/VC/Marion for Deng works salary-wise.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Zero interest in trading Larkin for Deng. I'd love to trade Daly/Wright/Mekel for Noah though.

Last edited by spreedom; 11-26-2013 at 01:47 PM.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

don't think they have interest in moving Noah. and why would they? With Butler coming up and being so cheap, they might see Deng's 15mil as something to get off of

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
don't think they have interest in moving Noah. and why would they? With Butler coming up and being so cheap, they might see Deng's 15mil as something to get off of
I figured that Deng being an expiring would make him a less likely trade target... they can just let him walk this summer and save the money. I would only want Noah off their roster.... I have no idea why they'd trade him.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Zero interest in trading Larkin for Deng. I'd love to trade Daly/Wright/Mekel for Noah though.
My guess is that they'd want a pg for obvious reasons...one more promising than Mekel. Although, who knows, maybe Mekel has some value with is reasonable contract.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 11-26-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I figured that Deng being an expiring would make him a less likely trade target... they can just let him walk this summer and save the money. I would only want Noah off their roster.... I have no idea why they'd trade him.
In theory, Dallas could save them money (salary + tax) now without requiring them to take on any sizable long-term commitments. That said, I don't think Dallas would gain much in the short term by acquiring Deng, given that it'd take Marion-plus to match salary. Would it be worth it to get Bird rights on him? Well, maybe; because I think he should absolutely be a target for the Mavs next summer. But I agree that Noah is the only guy on that roster who'd really be a difference maker for this Mavs team, and he's almost certainly not going to be available.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Today came reports that the Bulls wont "blow it up"

Im pretty sure they will keep the core Rose/Butler/Gibson/Noah. No way in hell they trade them.

For Boozer they stilll have the amnesty clause, but i think they will still try to make the playoffs instead of tanking.

Deng has an expiring contract, so its risky for any team to throw in talent or picks. I wouldnt feel so comfortable to trade Marion + pick for Deng and he becomes just a rental until the summer. Sure i would love to have Deng in here longtime as Shawns replacement, but its risky to pull off a deal right now. And since we have cap space next summer, getting Dengs bird rights wont make much of a difference, except of contract length i think (5 instead of 4).

Last edited by sefant77; 11-27-2013 at 08:20 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Marion and Harris for Deng. Done.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
sike
The Preacha

Deng is the kind of pick up I would appreciate if they once again fail to get a "Big Name" in off season free agency.

He is a solid contributor on both ends. Might be a great number 3 option behind Ellis/Dirk.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Im pretty sure Deng is Part of Plan B next summer.

Plan A1 is offering Anthony a max contract. Plan A2 is offering Monroe a max contract. Plan B is offering both Deng and Gortat contracts (kind of like they went from Dwight to Calderon/Iggy as Plan B). Plan B2 is probably Granger/Gortat.

Bulls are 7.5m above the luxury tax. I think for future purposes they would like to trade below the LT. So it will be tricky for us to pull off a trade that brings Deng in and leaves the Bulls below the LT. Need probably a third team...

Last edited by sefant77; 11-27-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Im pretty sure Deng is Part of Plan B next summer.

Plan A1 is offering Anthony a max contract. Plan A2 is offering Monroe a max contract. Plan B is offering both Deng and Gortat contracts (kind of like they went from Dwight to Calderon/Iggy as Plan B). Plan B2 is probably Granger/Gortat.

Bulls are 7.5m above the luxury tax. I think for future purposes they would like to trade below the LT. So it will be tricky for us to pull off a trade that brings Deng in and leaves the Bulls below the LT. Need probably a third team...
good stuff, bud. +rep

Though let me be on the record as wanting NO PART of Anthony.

Last edited by sike; 11-27-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Deng is one of the more complete SF in this league...he can score,defend,pass and take rebounds.

i love this player.
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ility-Of-Trade

come on Mark!
Old 12-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Deng has an expiring contract, so its risky for any team to throw in talent or picks. I wouldnt feel so comfortable to trade Marion + pick for Deng and he becomes just a rental until the summer. Sure i would love to have Deng in here longtime as Shawns replacement, but its risky to pull off a deal right now. And since we have cap space next summer, getting Dengs bird rights wont make much of a difference, except of contract length i think (5 instead of 4).
Oh, man - I'd love to see Dirk take a hometown discount this summer so we could throw top-dollar at Deng.

Fingers crossed that he doesn't get traded to a team he likes (unless it's the Mavs) - that extra season does seem to make a difference in this new CBA.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 12-19-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

This is like the worst season ever not to have a first round pick to trade. These potential eastern tank teams will want picks. Love to have Deng, but hard to see what Chicago would want from our roster. Larkin and Wright would seem to have the most value. Larkin/Marion for Deng works, but I doubt that gets it done.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what we could offer or what it would take. He's a UFA this summer if he's not extended, right? That actually makes it harder, because expiring contracts probably wouldn't be appealing-- they're looking to rebuild, not just dump salary. If they wanted savings, they'd just let him expire-- or trade for expiring deals AND picks.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
This is like the worst season ever not to have a first round pick to trade. These potential eastern tank teams will want picks. Love to have Deng, but hard to see what Chicago would want from our roster. Larkin and Wright would seem to have the most value. Larkin/Marion for Deng works, but I doubt that gets it done.
We do have to 2nd rd. picks, which isn't nothing. They might just prefer playing out the string w/Deng though and have his money come off. Only wildcard is Bulls are due to be over the cap again(they didnt dump Rip last season to get under)and Reinsdorf is notoriously stingy. That said, dont think Larkin, Marion and two 2nds gets it done. Unless they really value Larkin and picks in the mid 30's-40's. Too late for them to re-flip Trix at the deadline too.

Last edited by mac222b; 12-19-2013 at 03:30 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #19
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad this upcoming draft is completely stacked, otherwise we might be able to get a third team to provide a first-rounder... But nobody is going to do that in exchange for Marion's expiring or any of our young prospects - not for this draft, anyway.

If we want Deng, then it's best to wait until this summer... Most of the teams that have been rumored to have interest in a trade (Charlotte, Utah, Cleveland, etc.) probably aren't good enough to convince him to stay, even with that 5th year guarantee.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #20
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Too bad this upcoming draft is completely stacked, otherwise we might be able to get a third team to provide a first-rounder... But nobody is going to do that in exchange for Marion's expiring or any of our young prospects - not for this draft, anyway.

If we want Deng, then it's best to wait until this summer... Most of the teams that have been rumored to have interest in a trade (Charlotte, Utah, Cleveland, etc.) probably aren't good enough to convince him to stay, even with that 5th year guarantee.
I agree. The main advantage would be to build some chemistry between Deng and the core(Dirk, Monte, Jose). Not sure it's worth giving up what few tradeable assests remain.

If we did possess a 1st rd. pick I'd be beating down Orlando's door to try and get Afflalo. Sign Gortat and Deng this summer. Re-sign Dirk for around the Tim Duncan hometown discount of 10 million or so. Larkin and multiple picks for Afflalo. Dream scenario...
Old 12-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

I'm starting to really like the idea of Plan B Deng acquisition next off season.

I think he would look amazing next to Ellis/Calderon.

And everyone looks good next to Dirk.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #22
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm starting to really like the idea of Plan B Deng acquisition next off season.

I think he would look amazing next to Ellis/Calderon.

And everyone looks good next to Dirk.
If they could swing Deng + Gortat (with a re-signed Dirk, of course), that'd pretty much be a Plan A sort of summer to my mind. Filling out the bench would be a bit of a challenge, but I'd be more than pleased with the talent and fit of the top 6 (including Brandan).
Old 12-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #23
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
If they could swing Deng + Gortat (with a re-signed Dirk, of course), that'd pretty much be a Plan A sort of summer to my mind. Filling out the bench would be a bit of a challenge, but I'd be more than pleased with the talent and fit of the top 6 (including Brandan).
A starting line of Calderon/Ellis/Deng/Dirk/Gortat?

That is assuming that either Gortat or Deng would be taking less than 10mil per, right?

Sexy.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #24
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
A starting line of Calderon/Ellis/Deng/Dirk/Gortat?

That is assuming that either Gortat or Deng would be taking less than 10mil per, right?

Sexy.
Pretty much, though I haven't tried to figure the numbers exactly. I'm imagining that Deng will get less than Iggy did (4/48), and that Gortat will probably get something that starts in the neighborhood of Asik's average per-year salary (8.4). Sound reasonable?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #25
spreedom
Diamond Member

I think Gortat is going to get somewhere around $7M per year. Seems like the trade market cooled on him over the past couple of years... I still think he can be a top 10-12 starting center if he's motivated and in a lineup with guys who complement his game. But I think his last couple of relatively disappointing seasons with the Suns probably make him a little cheaper this summer. Good for us. We clearly had interest 4 or 5 years ago and I think we'll have interest this coming off season.

I have a hard time figuring out what Deng will get. I think one could make a case that he's actually better than Iguodala (though I don't necessarily believe it) so he could be getting $50M from someone. If the Cavs strike out on LeBron and whoever else they are targeting with their cap space this summer, I could see them overpaying to take Deng away from a division rival.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #26
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Pretty much, though I haven't tried to figure the numbers exactly. I'm imagining that Deng will get less than Iggy did (4/48), and that Gortat will probably get something that starts in the neighborhood of Asik's average per-year salary (8.4). Sound reasonable?
I'd be ALL over it. As I'm assuming the Mavs would. I'm thinking that Deng will garner a pretty hefty sum though.

Quote:
If the Cavs strike out on LeBron and whoever else they are targeting with their cap space this summer, I could see them overpaying to take Deng away from a division rival.
Everything I keep reading that that the Bulls aren't really that "into" Deng w Butler's emergence.

Yeah, Deng could be a bad contract waiting to happen for some seller dweller that can't get a big fish.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #27
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
I have a hard time figuring out what Deng will get. I think one could make a case that he's actually better than Iguodala (though I don't necessarily believe it) so he could be getting $50M from someone. If the Cavs strike out on LeBron and whoever else they are targeting with their cap space this summer, I could see them overpaying to take Deng away from a division rival.
Yeah, it's a tough call with him. Both he and Iggy stand out on the defensive end, and are exactly the kinds of guys you want to have to match up with the LeBrons and KDs or the NBA. There are two things that to my mind put Iggy in a slightly higher pay-scale, though: 1) Depending on the make-up of the team, Iggy can be a high quality starter at either SG or SF, whereas Deng's more of a one-position guy, and 2) Iggy's a better play-maker than a lot of point guards; Deng, though he's clearly a factor on both ends of the court, doesn't have any one thing in his offensive tool box that stands out quite like Iggy's passing.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think Gortat is going to get somewhere around $7M per year. Seems like the trade market cooled on him over the past couple of years... I still think he can be a top 10-12 starting center if he's motivated and in a lineup with guys who complement his game. But I think his last couple of relatively disappointing seasons with the Suns probably make him a little cheaper this summer. Good for us. We clearly had interest 4 or 5 years ago and I think we'll have interest this coming off season.

I think Gortat gets closer to 9-10 per
Old 12-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #29
JeffViggiano
Banned

Luol Deng is already receiving interest from the Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Lakers, Toronto Raptors, San Antonio Spurs, Memphis Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets among others, according to sources.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #30
sefant77
Guru

lol Nets

no cap, no picks, no young talents...
Old 12-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #31
Underdog

Top offseason target: initiate!

Old 12-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #32
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

I have no big interest in Deng. Especially his value price being high. Although if somehow if we want to go all in with it. I say trade Marion, Wright, Larkin or Mekel, and maybe Sarge for Deng and Noah. That's if we can somehow add Noah to the mix. Not only Chicago will get young players to work with. But they'll have contracts of Noah and Deng off their hands to revamp next season for Rose.

A lineup of Calderon, Ellis, Deng, Dirk, and Noah would definitely be a quiet contender.

But either way I'll be fine if we can't sign Deng in July. I'm more interested for us to sign Gordon Hayward or Danny Granger. For sure Hayward is number 1 as our starting SF.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:06 AM   #33
spreedom
Diamond Member

I would be willing to take on any Chicago contracts if it meant landing Noah in a trade, I'll say that much...
Old 12-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #34
JeffViggiano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
I have no big interest in Deng. Especially his value price being high. Although if somehow if we want to go all in with it. I say trade Marion, Wright, Larkin or Mekel, and maybe Sarge for Deng and Noah. That's if we can somehow add Noah to the mix. Not only Chicago will get young players to work with. But they'll have contracts of Noah and Deng off their hands to revamp next season for Rose.

A lineup of Calderon, Ellis, Deng, Dirk, and Noah would definitely be a quiet contender.

But either way I'll be fine if we can't sign Deng in July. I'm more interested for us to sign Gordon Hayward or Danny Granger. For sure Hayward is number 1 as our starting SF.
wtf???granger over deng???you could see more chicago's game,man.

hayward is good but he wants a max contract or something like that...no thanks.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #35
sefant77
Guru

Can we stop this Noah bs talk? Noah wont go anywhere...specially not for the trade garbage we have
Old 12-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #36
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Bulls will almost certainly keep Noah.

Deng is a near top level defender, THAT sets him far apart from Hayward in my opinion.

Granger is a joke. Can't stay healthy....ever.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #37
sefant77
Guru

Deng is by far the best SF FA next summer (Anthony aside) and honestly is the perfect fit for this Mavs team, specially with Calderon/Ellis/Dirk. A better fit than Anthony.

I doubt we could pull off a trade with Marion because the pick protection of our 2014 pick bites us in the ass. So we should hope he stays and then we have to overpay. Thats the only way he doesnt stay in Chicago. Bulls could amnesty Boozer but still have 42m locked up in Rose/Noah/Gibson. Add 15-16m for Deng and Butlers contract coming up in 2015 and they would be really close to the LT mark just with their S5.

I have no problem to give Deng the 4y 60-65m...we are committed with Calderon/Ellis and we need a Marion replacement and he is the perfect fit. There wont be superstar FA. So take him and try to sign with the rest of the money a nice center like Gortat and enjoy the last years with Dirk before we tear everything down.

Last edited by sefant77; 12-28-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #38
Underdog

Quote:
Deng is by far the best SF FA next summer (Anthony aside) and honestly is the perfect fit for this Mavs team, specially with Calderon/Ellis/Dirk. A better fit than Anthony.

I doubt we could pull off a trade with Marion because the pick protection of our 2014 pick bites us in the ass. So we should hope he stays and then we have to overpay. Thats the only way he doesnt stay in Chicago. Bulls could amnesty Boozer but still have 42m locked up in Rose/Noah/Gibson. Add 15-16m for Deng and Butlers contract coming up in 2015 and they would be really close to the LT mark just with their S5.

I have no problem to give Deng the 4y 60-65m...we are committed with Calderon/Ellis and we need a Marion replacement and he is the perfect fit. There wont be superstar FA. So take him and try to sign with the rest of the money a nice center like Gortat and enjoy the last years with Dirk before we tear everything down.
+1

Old 12-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #39
spreedom
Diamond Member

I agree that Deng is the best free agent SF available this coming summer (I think he's just a better all-around player than Melo) but I'm a little worried about his mileage. Thibs rides him pretty hard, and the Bulls organization doesn't seem like they've taken very good care of him as a player. I'd be thrilled to get him for something like 4yrs/$50M, but I'd balk a little at $60M and above. I don't like the idea of giving a guy that can't really carry your offense a max or near-max deal. And honestly, I hope the next guy that we give $10M+ to is either an elite defensive center or a legit 1st scoring option that can take the reins if/when Dirk ever retires.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #40
sefant77
Guru

I get your points but the only way to get him to sign here is to overpay...maybe we are lucky and most of it comes out of Dirks pocket *cough*