Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 12-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #41
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

15+ per year for Deng? No way. I like him, but that's a bad investment, and Dallas needs more than just a new starting SF.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #42
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure we need also a new center or a Carter replacement as 6th & scorer...

But whats your solution as SF for the next years? Resigning Marion? Crowder? Granger? Marvin Williams? it HAS to be a very good defender. There is no other choice with Calderon, Ellis and Dirk as starter.

I just dont see a better one, so im fine with 15m for Deng.

Look at the FA SFs, its a short sad list (if you dont count James and Anthony)

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents

Last edited by sefant77; 12-29-2013 at 12:36 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #43
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
I get your points but the only way to get him to sign here is to overpay...maybe we are lucky and most of it comes out of Dirks pocket *cough*
A compromise: If we can somehow have Dirk and Deng on the roster for less than $18-20M combined, I'm down.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #44
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sure we need also a new center or a Carter replacement as 6th & scorer...

But whats your solution as SF for the next years? Resigning Marion? Crowder? Granger? Marvin Williams? it HAS to be a very good defender. There is no other choice with Calderon, Ellis and Dirk as starter.

I just dont see a better one, so im fine with 15m for Deng.

Look at the FA SFs, its a short sad list (if you dont count James and Anthony)

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents
I've looked at it, and that list is the reason he's a priority target in my eyes, too. I just don't think he's remotely worth that. I'd rather settle for a value signing at SF and spend the remaining money elsewhere than overpay Deng by 15-20 million.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:56 AM   #45
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Bulls will almost certainly keep Noah.

Deng is a near top level defender, THAT sets him far apart from Hayward in my opinion.

Granger is a joke. Can't stay healthy....ever.
Yeah, but what if front office signs a younger player to work with that is Hayward. Then bring Marion back cheaper? You'll have an interesting mix to work with at the small forward. There's a reason why Hayward has not signed his extension. Deng is close to 30 already and I'm sure he will ask for a lot. We need young while Marion can be picked up back on the fly for cheap.

Last edited by yahyes; 12-29-2013 at 02:00 AM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:29 AM   #46
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

A guy I'd keep my eyes on this summer: PJ Tucker. I think there's a pretty good chance that an offer in the neighborhood of $5-6M/yr probably nabs him from Phoenix. Like Deng, he makes his man work hard on offense, and he's a total sniper from the corners. Tucker at $20M total might make more sense than Deng at $50M total. We could add him and also probably afford a center of the Okafor/Gortat ilk, total price about the same that we would be (over)paying Deng to come here.

I'm all for rolling the dice on a slight overpay this summer if it gets us our man, but I just don't think Deng is the right guy unless we have another move, likely a trade, following him.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #47
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Yeah, but what if front office signs a younger player to work with that is Hayward. Then bring Marion back cheaper? You'll have an interesting mix to work with at the small forward. There's a reason why Hayward has not signed his extension. Deng is close to 30 already and I'm sure he will ask for a lot. We need young while Marion can be picked up back on the fly for cheap.
Hayward has not signed his extension because he wants a lot of money...at the same price i prefer Deng without doubts.
For the lasts year of Dirk we need ready players...deng is a 28yo with a ton of exp in PO.

He is our guy.

Last edited by JeffViggiano; 12-29-2013 at 06:22 AM.
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #48
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

hayward gonna walk away from his new deal with 15m too
Old 12-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #49
sefant77
Guru

Damn, Cavs-Bulls discussing a Bynum-Deng trade.

Bulls could waive Bynum before january 7th and move below the Lt because just 6 of Bynums 12m are guaranteed. Cavs may add a talent or pick...
Old 12-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #50
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Damn, Cavs-Bulls discussing a Bynum-Deng trade.

Bulls could waive Bynum before january 7th and move below the Lt because just 6 of Bynums 12m are guaranteed. Cavs may add a talent or pick...
Not sure that's bad news. Whatever team he ends the season with will have an advantage next summer, but there's no shortage of recent evidence to suggest that players who get traded from their longtime haunts in the final year (give or take) of their contract can be very gettable on the open market (think Iggy, Dwight, Jose).
Old 12-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #51
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Deng going to Cleveland would be GREAT if the Mavs are really looking to him. Deng is not going to sign in Cleveland. No one wants to play in that crappy place for multiple years.

It gives the Mavs more opportunity to woo Deng because after being traded like that he is more likely to bolt somewhere else and not re sign with his original team.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #52
sefant77
Guru

The Cavs would have the bird rights and would be willing to hand out significant more money than the Bulls. Cavs offering five years over a four year offer by us...lets see.

Sure Cleveland is an ugly city and Dallas has the tax advantage...so lets see
Old 01-07-2014, 04:25 AM   #53
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

gone...bye bye
Old 01-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #54
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffViggiano View Post
gone...bye bye
I doubt he re-signs with the Cavs... He'll be fair game this summer.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #55
sefant77
Guru

Depends, Cavs have bird rights and could offer five years. And since they gave up a 1st too i think they wont cheap out on the offer.

We must hope that he hates Cleveland, Iving/TT bitching in the locker room etc.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #56
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

I like this deal for both sides this year and for all of the Mavs fans that want to see the Englishman playing here next year.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #57
JeffViggiano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Irving+waiter+bennett+varejao+thompson are betters than ellis+calderon+old dirk,without doubt.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #58
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Irving+waiter+bennett+varejao+thompson are betters than ellis+calderon+old dirk,without doubt.

Irving/Waiter/Bennett/Varejao/Thompson = 11-23 in the East

Ellis/Calderon/Dirk = 19-15 in the West

Math disagrees...

Last edited by Underdog; 01-07-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #59
spreedom
Diamond Member

LOL at mentioning Anthony Bennett when making an argument that a team has a better core than we do. Honestly, I think Deng will stay with the Cavs because they'll probably offer him the most money.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #60
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh rly?

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #61
JeffViggiano
Banned

Quote:

Irving/Waiter/Bennett/Varejao/Thompson = 11-23 in the East

Ellis/Calderon/Dirk = 19-15 in the West

Math disagrees...
oh man,they are youngs and they had a lot of injury.

i love the mavs but their core is younger,better,more talented and with a lots assetts for trade...their only problem is the coach.

bennett plays trash right now but he has potential.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #62
Underdog

Quote:
oh man,they are youngs and they had a lot of injury.

i love the mavs but their core is younger,better,more talented and with a lots assetts for trade...their only problem is the coach.

bennett plays trash right now but he has potential.
No.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #63
JeffViggiano
Banned

i really hope you are right...but i don't think so.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:05 PM   #64
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really hoping there are some serious players on the market this off season. Mavs need to get fortunate and land a couple w their $.

Leave it to the Mavs to have tons of cash and no one of legit high end value is available.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #65
Underdog

Quote:
Leave it to the Mavs to have tons of cash and no one of legit high end value is available.
Deng isn't top shelf, but he's still what I'd consider to be a "two-way cornerstone player" (think Andre Iguodala.)

Last edited by Underdog; 01-07-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #66
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Deng isn't top shelf, but he's still what I'd consider to be a "two-way cornerstone player" (think Andre Iguodala.)
Certainly not a superstar type, but I'd have him as just under All Star level.

I'd take him over Iggy without a second thought.

But its the fact that he is a two way guy that intrigues me the most. Put him in a lineup with Ellis or Calderon and there is a bit more balance.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 01-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #67
JeffViggiano
Banned

Quote:
Certainly not a superstar type, but I'd have him as just under All Star level.

I'd take him over Iggy without a second thought.

But its the fact that he is a two way guy that intrigues me the most. Put him in a lineup with Ellis or Calderon and there is a bit more balance.
+1
Old 01-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #68
spreedom
Diamond Member

I'd rather have Iguodala than Deng, but I think they're about as close in overall ability as two players get in the league. I prefer Iggy's passing over Deng's scoring but again, they're very close.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #69
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I'd rather have Iguodala than Deng, but I think they're about as close in overall ability as two players get in the league. I prefer Iggy's passing over Deng's scoring but again, they're very close.
Iggy's ft% is insanely ugly.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #70
JeffViggiano
Banned

Quote:
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...With-Cavaliers

coff coff
Old 01-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #71
sefant77
Guru

The next FA class is incredible thin (specially the UFA and SFs in general), so Deng would be pretty stupid to sign an three year extension right now if he can choose from several four or five year contracts in the summer...
Old 01-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #72
Underdog

Quote:
Well, obviously the Cavs are going to OFFER an extension - they wouldn't have traded for Deng otherwise... But that doesn't mean he's interested in signing, nor does the article even indicate that he would.

You should see a doctor about that cough.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-09-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:17 PM   #73
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I think David lord says they can't offer an extension, they'll have to let him go to,free agency.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #74
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

More like Luol Dong amirite?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #75
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Gee, the Cavs have such a great core of Irving, Deng, Varejao, that they are losing by 34 to Sacramento.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #76
sike
The Preacha

I SO want the Deng/Cavs to be a bad mix.

Hopefully Coach Brown can mess it up...like he does so many other things on a basketball court.

Deng to Mavs 2014/15!

Old 01-13-2014, 01:23 AM   #77
sike
The Preacha

Tonight: Kings 124/Cavs 80

Oh my.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #78
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
I SO want the Deng/Cavs to be a bad mix.
Remember Dion Waiters few weeks ago? Calling out Irving/TT being lockerroom divas/douchebags etc.

I think we have good chances if the Cavs dont hammer out an idiot huge five year contract because they dont wanna lose him

Last edited by sefant77; 01-13-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #79
spreedom
Diamond Member

Pretty much no chance they use their 5-year offer on Deng instead of waiting another year and offering it to Irving. I bet the Cavs will re-sign Deng though.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:41 AM   #80
JeffViggiano
Banned

Quote:
Well, obviously the Cavs are going to OFFER an extension - they wouldn't have traded for Deng otherwise... But that doesn't mean he's interested in signing, nor does the article even indicate that he would.

You should see a doctor about that cough.
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...iscussing-Deal

"I'm very open to sit down to talk," Deng said. "At the same time, I'm OK with waiting until the summer."

i understand your love and faith for the mavs but the reality is really clear.