Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 01-14-2014, 05:14 AM   #81
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffViggiano View Post
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...iscussing-Deal

"I'm very open to sit down to talk," Deng said. "At the same time, I'm OK with waiting until the summer."

i understand your love and faith for the mavs but the reality is really clear.

I mean, you know the chances of LeBron opting out of his contract and signing with the Cavs is about the same as him opting out to sign with the Mavs while you get struck by lightning and win the lottery at the same time, right?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-14-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2014, 05:45 AM   #82
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

I mean, you know the chances of LeBron opting out of his contract and signing with the Cavs is about the same as him opting out to sign with the Mavs while you get struck by lightning and win the lottery at the same time, right?
of course,but that's not the point...Deng is open to resign with the cavs.
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #83
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
of course,but that's not the point...Deng is open to resign with the cavs.
That point was never in debate.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #84
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Of course Deng is going to SAY all the right things. Doubt he actually re-signs with that Cavs mess though. Mavs have a great shot(if they want him)

Last edited by mac222b; 01-14-2014 at 01:25 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #85
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Of course Deng is going to SAY all the right things. Doubt he actually re-signs with that Cavs mess though. Mavs have a great shot(if they want him)
I like your confidence.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #86
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Confidence is a great thing, I agree, but I think getting a quality center is a much bigger priority this offseason. I'd like Deng, but I think he's going to be asking upwards of $15M per, and I just think that's too much when you can get quality role players at 1/3 that salary.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #87
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Confidence is a great thing, I agree, but I think getting a quality center is a much bigger priority this offseason.
Like?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 01-14-2014, 04:18 PM   #88
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Like?
Samuel Dalembert will be on the market... And Chris Kaman!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #89
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Samuel Dalembert will be on the market... And Chris Kaman!
NOW YOU'RE TALKING!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #90
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Gortat is a free agent. Definitely have to consider him.

I like Deng, but if rumors of him wanting 14+ mil a year are true...Meh.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #91
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Q: Do players always get paid what they want to get paid?

A: See Monta Ellis.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #92
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Like?
Monroe
Okafor
Gortat
Bosh
Pau
[insert trade target here]

I'd rather target those guys and get one of them locked up in a multi-year deal before going after another swingman. I think the so-called "three and D" guys are going to be relatively easy to get this summer... I'd rather get two of them at $3-5M each than spending three times that much on only Deng (which would still leave us without a center).
Old 01-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #93
sike
The Preacha

Monroe, Bosh,Pau,Okafor would not help where we need help. Defensive Centerpiece.

If we go after Monroe, then I see it as primarily a "after Dirk" move. That doesn't mean I'm against it, but I'm not sure it really gets us all that much closer to maximizing Dirk's final two seasons of great/good play.

Quote:
Monroe
Okafor
Gortat
Bosh
Pau
[insert trade target here]

I'd rather target those guys and get one of them locked up in a multi-year deal before going after another swingman. I think the so-called "three and D" guys are going to be relatively easy to get this summer... I'd rather get two of them at $3-5M each than spending three times that much on only Deng (which would still leave us without a center).

Old 01-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #94
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Monroe, Bosh,Pau,Okafor would not help where we need help. Defensive Centerpiece.

If we go after Monroe, then I see it as primarily a "after Dirk" move. That doesn't mean I'm against it, but I'm not sure it really gets us all that much closer to maximizing Dirk's final two seasons of great/good play.
Okafor is unquestionably one of the top 5 defensive centers in the league.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #95
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Okafor is unquestionably one of the top 5 defensive centers in the league.
A few seasons ago I would have been on board. But I don't see him as the answer in Dallas. If Okafor is acquired, he would need to be the second best acquisition of the off season.

Not sure Noah, Hibbert, Gasol, Drummond, A Davis, or Howard would appreciate being left out of the top 5 defensive centers. (Not to mention Serge who plays Center as well as PF now...)

Old 01-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #96
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
A few seasons ago I would have been on board. But I don't see him as the answer in Dallas. If Okafor is acquired, he would need to be the second best acquisition of the off season.

Not sure Noah, Hibbert, Gasol, Drummond, A Davis, or Howard would appreciate being left out of the top 5 defensive centers. (Not to mention Serge who plays Center as well as PF now...)
I don't look at Drummond or Ibaka favorably as overall defenders. Great shot blockers, yes, but they both leave a LOT to be desired in the post. And Anthony Davis plays less than half of his minutes at center. The other four guys you named (Hibbert, Gasol, Dwight, Noah) are the only 4 that I think are unquestionably better than Okafor. If any of them was available on the trade market I'd lo to add them instead. As it stand right now, though, Okafor is our best bet, unless Melo leaves the Knicks and they want to move Chandler.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #97
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

in for okafor as well

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #98
Underdog

Okafor thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 PM   #99
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Confidence is a great thing, I agree, but I think getting a quality center is a much bigger priority this offseason. I'd like Deng, but I think he's going to be asking upwards of $15M per, and I just think that's too much when you can get quality role players at 1/3 that salary.
I agree that center is top priority and much scarer commodity to come by. I could see Deng turning down a slightly bigger offer from a non playoff type team to sign with a team like Dallas. Also any team that gives Deng more than 12-13 per is foolish. If Chandler was deemed unworthy of that kind of contract by MBT why would deng fit the profile any better? Different circumstances thisntimemaround I guess. More financial flexibility and lingering sense of desperation. Deng is really really good but who wouldn't rather have contract whore Ariza at half the price?
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:23 AM   #100
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That point was never in debate.

and you can put your bad reps in your ass.

Last edited by JeffViggiano; 01-16-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #101
sike
The Preacha

is that Grizzly Adams??

Old 01-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #102
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

Some team is going to pay Deng whatever he wants, but I doubt it'll be the Mavs (and I have a hard time believing he's interested in coming to Dallas). After this season, it should be clear that the Mavs need some interior defensive help - I just don't know where it'll come from. Maybe some deal involving one of the PG's (not Calderon, probably Harris or Larkin) or a sign & trade with VC or Matrix.

I'd say the biggest offseason target will probably be Gortat.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #103
JeffViggiano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn this City View Post
Some team is going to pay Deng whatever he wants, but I doubt it'll be the Mavs (and I have a hard time believing he's interested in coming to Dallas). After this season, it should be clear that the Mavs need some interior defensive help - I just don't know where it'll come from. Maybe some deal involving one of the PG's (not Calderon, probably Harris or Larkin) or a sign & trade with VC or Matrix.

I'd say the biggest offseason target will probably be Gortat.
reading this forum it seems like every big FA wants to come to dallas...but i've never seen anyone sign with us.

And i doubt that calderon,harris and larkin will be pieces for some big trade...maybe the rookie could be send for a veteran.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #104
Underdog

Quote:
reading this forum it seems like every big FA wants to come to dallas...but i've never seen anyone sign with us.
Monta Ellis?

Old 01-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #105
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

Quote:

And i doubt that calderon,harris and larkin will be pieces for some big trade...maybe the rookie could be send for a veteran.
It wouldn't be for a big trade - the only asset the Mavs have that could be part of a "big trade" is Dirk. Trading for a quality big is almost impossible anyway.

The Mavs would try to move Harris or Larkin to possibly get a draft pick or in a trade similar to the Celtics/Heat/Warriors trade yesterday.

I'm pretty confident the Mavs won't be making any big trades anytime soon.

Last edited by Burn this City; 01-16-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Burn this City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #106
JeffViggiano
Banned

Quote:
Monta Ellis?
yes,i like Monta(of course at this price) but he is a second/third star of a tem,every year we target players like CP3,howard,melo,lebron ecc ecc and dirk's getting older...

Quote:
It wouldn't be for a big trade - the only asset the Mavs have that could be part of a "big trade" is Dirk. Trading for a quality big is almost impossible anyway.

The Mavs would try to move Harris or Larkin to possibly get a draft pick or in a trade similar to the Celtics/Heat/Warriors trade yesterday.

I'm pretty confident the Mavs won't be making any big trades anytime soon.
i think that we need to separate calderon and ellis(because they have starter's salary and they don't play together) and the only way is a trade,right now.

the cavs take Deng for bynum(= marion's contract) and picks(probabily only seconds rounds)...

Last edited by JeffViggiano; 01-16-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #107
Burn this City

Quote:
i think that we need to separate calderon and ellis(because they have starter's salary and they don't play together) and the only way is a trade,right now.

the cavs take Deng for bynum(= marion's contract) and picks(probabily only seconds rounds)...
I think Ellis is fine at the SG spot, but you really need a solid defender at PG, especially in the west where it seems like every other team has an all-star caliber PG. I think if Harris comes back and plays well (especially on D), he may even supplant Calderon as starter - and I think that could be a HUGE difference.

I would be hesitant to trade Calderon or Ellis just because the offense is so efficient (6th in the league right now). The Mavs could probably gain a few additional wins without making any lineup changes if they just played at a faster pace.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #108
JeffViggiano
Banned

man,you are waiting Harris like the Santo Graal...i think we need a bigger upgrade.

Last edited by JeffViggiano; 01-16-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #109
Underdog

Quote:
yes,i like Monta(of course at this price) but he is a second/third star of a tem,every year we target players like CP3,howard,melo,lebron ecc ecc and dirk's getting older...
Well, Deng is a lot closer to Ellis in talent/pay than he is LeBron, Paul or Howard... So why can't we get him?

Old 01-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #110
Burn this City

Quote:
man,you are waiting Harris like the Santo Graal...i think we need a bigger upgrade.
A bigger upgrade to do what? Win the title? Yea, the Mavs need another superstar and a rim protector. Sadly, those types of players are not freely available, especially if you don't have the assets to get them. If you trade Calderon and/or Ellis, who do you plan to get back in return?

So realistically speaking, if Harris can come in and play well, that could potentially be the difference between not making the playoffs and getting a 5th or 6th seed.

If they make the playoffs, who knows what could happen with injuries and whatnot. Also, it's a lot easier to attract free agents when you're a playoff team.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #111
JeffViggiano
Banned

because cuban haven't get him in this market session...and i still think that the cavs core in perpesctive is better than ours old guys.

we need a player like him right now,we have wasted the last 2years of dirk' era and this is third,too many teams have a better future than us.

p.s.
deng is a better bbplayers than ellis and he has more PO exp.

Last edited by JeffViggiano; 01-16-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #112
JeffViggiano
Banned

Quote:
A bigger upgrade to do what? Win the title? Yea, the Mavs need another superstar and a rim protector. Sadly, those types of players are not freely available, especially if you don't have the assets to get them. If you trade Calderon and/or Ellis, who do you plan to get back in return?

So realistically speaking, if Harris can come in and play well, that could potentially be the difference between not making the playoffs and getting a 5th or 6th seed.

If they make the playoffs, who knows what could happen with injuries and whatnot. Also, it's a lot easier to attract free agents when you're a playoff team.
of course but it's not my fault if we have destroyed a championship team for what??nothing...

and i think that sign a 32yo PG with no defence for 4years at 28M is the right way to rebuild

Last edited by JeffViggiano; 01-16-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #113
Burn this City

Quote:
of course but it's not my fault if we have destroyed a championship team for what??
For a playoff team? It's not like the Mavs are Milwaukee, Orlando, Sacramento, the Lakers, etc.

If rebuilding means still making the playoffs and winning most nights, I would probably take that.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #114
JeffViggiano
Banned

Quote:
For a playoff team? It's not like the Mavs are Milwaukee, Orlando, Sacramento, the Lakers, etc.

If rebuilding means still making the playoffs and winning most nights, I would probably take that.
2012--->8th seed and sweeped by the okc
2013--->out of PO
2014--->we are 8th(spurs,okc,blazers,clips,rox and warriors are really better than us)

and our core is very old...i'm glad that you are happy for this situation.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #115
Burn this City

Quote:
2012--->8th seed and sweeped by the okc
2013--->out of PO
2014--->we are 8th(spurs,okc,blazers,clips,rox and warriors are really better than us)

and our core is very old...i'm glad that you are happy for this situation.
Every franchise has to endure some rough patches...our rough patches equate to being in contention for the playoffs. In the 90's, I would've killed for the Mavs to be this good.

There are over 20 teams that wish they had as many wins as the Mavs right now.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #116
Underdog

Quote:
deng is a better bbplayers than ellis and he has more PO exp.
That wasn't the point... You cited the Mavs inability to land "big name free agents" over the past couple years as a reason why they won't land Deng, and I'm contending that Deng isn't any bigger of a name than Ellis was... He certainly isn't in the same class as LeBron/Paul/Howard, anyway.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:21 AM   #117
JeffViggiano
Banned

Quote:
That wasn't the point... You cited the Mavs inability to land "big name free agents" over the past couple years as a reason why they won't land Deng, and I'm contending that Deng isn't any bigger of a name than Ellis was... He certainly isn't in the same class as LeBron/Paul/Howard, anyway.
yes but in this case the Cavs were been smart and they have get him before the expiring of his contract and probabily they will resign him without problems.
i think Deng will not be a really FA.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #118
Underdog

Dallas Mavericks expected to pursue Luol Deng in offseason

Old 01-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #119
sike
The Preacha

Quote:

I wonder if D. Aldridge is just guessing at this, like we are, or if he actually has anything.

Deng would be a very nice addition.

Deng and a strengthened Center position (say Gortat backed up by Dalembert?) would be a nice improvement.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #120
Underdog

Quote:
I wonder if D. Aldridge is just guessing at this, like we are, or if he actually has anything.
Probably just making an obvious observation - we're going to be one of the better franchises with cap space this summer.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-24-2014 at 04:07 PM.