Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 11-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute
Default 10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

I guess saying "Hi" or "Have a Nice Day" is now considered harassment.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post

Wow.

"It's not an issue for me, so it's not an issue"

This isn't Barney Fife saying "Good Afternoon, ma'am". While not every single utterance in that clip was harassment, there are several clear examples of it and if it was your daughter or girlfriend you would have an issue with it. And that is a sample size of one day.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 11-08-2014 at 01:48 PM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That is what you got from that video? What planet are you from?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Telling a woman she needs to smile is degrading. Men don't tell other men they need to smile walking down the street. It's none of their effin business whether a random stranger is smiling or not.

It's more of a control issue that leads to minor and sometimes major harassment. Those men on the street felt they had some sort of right to have her respond. A woman is in no way shape or form obligated to do anything for strangers.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Telling a woman she needs to smile is degrading. Men don't tell other men they need to smile walking down the street. It's none of their effin business whether a random stranger is smiling or not.

It's more of a control issue that leads to minor and sometimes major harassment. Those men on the street felt they had some sort of right to have her respond. A woman is in no way shape or form obligated to do anything for strangers.
Well said.

Plenty of remarks made in the video that were not intended to harass, but many of the remarks also demonstrated a lack of respect.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Wow.

"It's not an issue for me, so it's not an issue"

This isn't Barney Fife saying "Good Afternoon, ma'am". While not every single utterance in that clip was harassment, there are several clear examples of it and if it was your daughter or girlfriend you would have an issue with it. And that is a sample size of one day.
A majority of that video showed men saying "Hello" or "Have a nice day" to that woman. That is not harassment. There were other instances in that video where she was harassed, which was obviously wrong. However, my question is why are the instances of the men greeting her being lumped in with the instances where she was actually harassed? That video implies that men greeting women is harassment, which I find to be ridiculous.

PS- Oh and thanks for the negative rep. You have the right to be offended, and I have the right to not care if you are.

Last edited by LSMF; 11-08-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:08 AM   #8
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

That video is less than two minutes cherry picked from ten hours, and only lasts that long because it includes examples of "how are you" and "have a nice evening". While watching this, take into consideration the endless boring hours when nothing happened despite their best efforts to construe everything as harassment. Demand for the full ten-hour video and see if it still has the same effect on you.

The actual point of this is to raise not awareness, but hysteria supporting the expansion of state power. It requires hysteria because no rational argument would lead to a solution of aggrandizing the biggest harasser of them all to solve harassment.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 11-09-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
That video is less than two minutes cherry picked from ten hours, and only lasts that long because it includes examples of "how are you" and "have a nice evening". While watching this, take into consideration the endless boring hours when nothing happened despite their best efforts to construe everything as harassment. Demand for the full ten-hour video and see if it still has the same effect on you.
I bet a hundred bucks this guy also thinks "If you wear provocative clothing, you're just asking to get raped."

Quote:
The actual point of this is to raise not awareness, but hysteria supporting the expansion of state power. It requires hysteria because no rational argument would lead to a solution of aggrandizing the biggest harasser of them all to solve harassment.
Boy, is this video missing the point too. They might as well have said "Well 'GETTING HARRASSED' (dismissive wank motion) might be bad and it's adorable that you're trying to do something about it, BUT WHAT ABOUT ISIS?"
Old 11-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

Dirkadirkastan,

You are surely correct that nothing harassing was said during the rest of the ten hours. Otherwise, they'd have included those comments and made the video a little longer.

However, I didn't see any effort made to "construe everything as harassment". Some comments were clearly harassment. Some were not. And some were arguable.

You have to cherry-pick all the talking for the video, because nobody'd watch ten hours of a woman walking in NYC.

As to the point being to expand state power, it might be true that whoever posted the video would support some hypothetical legislation concerning harassment on the street, but they could also have just been hoping some guy watches the video and thinks "oh crap. I've done that", sees things in a different light and then changes their behavior a little bit.

Last edited by bunkmoreland; 11-09-2014 at 01:55 PM.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
spreedom
Diamond Member

And by the way, isn't getting hit on (totally unsolicited) by like 50 people in 10 hours plenty?
Old 11-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #12
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I bet a hundred bucks this guy also thinks "If you wear provocative clothing, you're just asking to get raped."
That quote is a strawman of safety advice.

If I leave my car doors unlocked and the windows down, would anyone think I "deserve" to have my stereo stolen? If you advise me to lock the doors and roll the windows up next time, are you "blaming the victim"? Is my response of, "Don't tell me to secure my car, tell the thief to stop stealing stereos" appropriate?

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 11-09-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
spreedom
Diamond Member

Old 11-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #14
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

I didn't even say whether or not I bought the argument. But at least I don't resort to strawmen, baseless accusations, and non sequiturs.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #15
spreedom
Diamond Member

You do realize that in that comparison you are litereally equating "leaving your car unlocked" with "being a woman" right?
Old 11-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #16
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
You do realize that in that comparison you are litereally equating "leaving your car unlocked" with "being a woman" right?
No, it was with "wearing provocative clothing."
Old 11-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #17
spreedom
Diamond Member

Wow. Just wow. I have no words for people who choose to think that way.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #18
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Wow. Just wow. I have no words for people who choose to think that way.
Actually, you could try articulating your argument in a logical manner; after all, exasperation is not an argument. If you feel the opposing view is way off base, that should make it easier to present your point, not harder.

Maybe you could take after Karen Straughan, who has made some salient points on the topic in the past. This isn't the video of hers I was looking for, but it still applies nonetheless.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #19
spreedom
Diamond Member

Old 11-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #20
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Running away from a debate is the same as claiming victory?
Old 11-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could give Spreedom more negative rep for terrible posting..but, I have spread reputation around before I can do that again. Dirkadirkastan absolutely owning Spreedom..

Last edited by Murphy3; 11-10-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #22
spreedom
Diamond Member

MUST SPREAD REP
Old 11-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #23
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:

Way to run from an argument.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #24
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to the political section, because that's where the thread belongs.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #25
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I wish I could give Spreedom more negative rep for terrible posting..but, I have spread reputation around before I can do that again. Dirkadirkastan absolutely owning Spreedom..
Quote:
Way to run from an argument.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #26
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

This is becoming an epidemic!

Although, maybe here's the clothing solution.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #27
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts

Last edited by SeanL; 11-12-2014 at 11:25 PM.
SeanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #28
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts

Quote:
No, it was with "wearing provocative clothing."
So what exactly is the difference between you and the Taliban? ...
SeanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #29
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post

"But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!"

hahaha
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote