Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 01-12-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Default Nightly News - Live from Dallas with Brian Williams

Does anybody even watch network news anymore?

Brokaw's replacement looks like he's made of plastic. On their "Road to the inaguration" tour the NBC crew went Live from Dallas tonight. They worked in a RED state feature story.

Whilst running clips of rodeo and square dancin coupled with an audio track of "A saturday night in Fort Worth...", our correspondant tells us that "Texas is the unofficial heart of 'Bush Country.'"

To sum it up - In the US, a majority of Protestant Evangelicals voted for Bush (79%) - And a lot of people in Texas are protestant evangelicals. And the election stirred up the BUSH moral base to vote in record numbers. Blah, Blah, Blah, Baptist, Blah, Blah, raise their children, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Lord, Blah, Blah, Blah, President's faith, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Abortion, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, moral values, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Brian Williams reporting from Ft. Worth.

Emmy winning piece, really.

[img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Nightly News - Live from Dallas with Brian Williams

Only Brit Hume is worth watching.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:27 AM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Nightly News - Live from Dallas with Brian Williams

I saw the piece, but I'm not sure I understand the complaint.

That the reporting was inaccurate? Unflattering? Unfair? Already widely reported? Cliché?

I thought the segment with the man who was offended by the campaign sign that called Bush a "bible totin' liar" was actually interesting. Regardless of whether a person in another part of the country found the gentleman's taking of offense justified or not, my impression was the he seemed sincerely hurt. At the very lest, that segment put a human face on the effects of nasty, partisan electoral name-calling, and might make people consider how divisive that kind of thing can be.

Last year, I lent a copy of the DVD "Hand on a Hard Body" to some friends of mine here in the Northeast, who don't really have a lot of firsthand experience with Texans, or the culture of Evangellicals as was depicted in that documentary.

They actually liked (and understood) the film, and remarked that while the way of thinking of some of the more religiously observant people in the film seemed foreign to their experience, that they could still identify with the people in the film, and could see the essential goodness in many of the contest participants even though their character was coming out of a markedly different culture.

They found the film so interesting that they kept it for an entire year, watching it several times with other friends and acquaintances, and since the election, they have remarked that they felt like it gave them some insights into how people who lived in another part of the country and who in all probability strongly supported Bush viewed the world.

IMO, Williams'/NBC's piece last night might have done something similar, albeit on a much smaller scale.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #4
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Only Brit Hume is worth watching.
You know, some people get paid for right-wing propaganda rather than doing it for free. Look up Armstrong Williams.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
I saw the piece, but I'm not sure I understand the complaint.

That the reporting was inaccurate? Unflattering? Unfair? Already widely reported? Cliché?

I thought the segment with the man who was offended by the campaign sign that called Bush a "bible totin' liar" was actually interesting. Regardless of whether a person in another part of the country found the gentleman's taking of offense justified or not, my impression was the he seemed sincerely hurt. At the very lest, that segment put a human face on the effects of nasty, partisan electoral name-calling, and might make people consider how divisive that kind of thing can be.
Cliché - yes.
Condescending - yes.
Unfair - no.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:11 AM   #6
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Just saw Brian Williams on Conan - dude's freaking hilarious. Of course there was the mutual ego stroking and pseudo network bashing - but the guy has a comedic delivery not unlike a Bill Murray or Bob Newhart (Dry, whitty sarcasim). Brillant, just brillant.

Tonight was not unlike the first time I saw Bob Sagat on late night TV.