Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 01-21-2005, 03:11 PM   #1
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road
Default Crazy Christians need a life

Oh no!! The world is coming to a end. Christians think sponge bob is sending gay signals to your children? What next, Nickelodeon is ran by terrosits and is part of the axis of evil. When will these people get a life?

Gay alert issued over SpongeBob video

10:06 AM CST on Friday, January 21, 2005

From Staff and Wire Reports:

First it was Tinky Winky. Then it was SpongeBob SquarePants. And now it's, well, it's SpongeBob again.

Dr. James C. Dobson, the conservative Christian leader and founder of Focus on the Family, is sounding the homosexual- agenda alarm over a new public-service video that features SpongeBob and other cartoon characters.

In many circles, SpongeBob needs no introduction. He is popular among children and grownups who watch him cavorting under the sea on the Nickelodeon cartoon. He also is a camp figure among adult gay men, perhaps because he holds hands with his pink animated sidekick Patrick.

Now Dr. Dobson is putting the spotlight on SpongeBob, saying his creators enlisted him in a "pro-homosexual video," in which he appears with characters from Barney & Friends, Blue's Clues, Clifford the Big Red Dog and Jimmy Neutron, among many others.

The makers of the video, he said, plan to mail it to thousands of elementary schools this spring to promote a "tolerance pledge" that includes tolerance for differences of "sexual identity." He urged his allies to work to stop it.

Fashioned after "We Are the World," the video shows a chorus of cartoon characters singing "We Are Family." The video's creator – Nile Rodgers, who wrote the disco hit – said Dr. Dobson's objection stems from a misunderstanding. Mr. Rodgers said he founded the We Are Family Foundation after the Sept. 11 attacks to teach children about multiculturalism.

The video has appeared on Nickelodeon and other networks, and does not contain references to sexual identity.

Mr. Rodgers believes it's being confused with an unrelated "We Are Family" Web site owned by a Charleston, S.C., group aimed at supporting gay youth. On Wednesday, a Focus on the Family spokesman said the group stands by its allegations.

Meanwhile, over at Nickelodeon, spokesman Dan Martinson was marveling at how a story about the purported sexual orientation of a cartoon sponge could spark such a media grassfire.

"The show's creator, Stephen Hillenburg, has said over and over that SpongeBob is just an innocent kid," Mr. Martinson said. "But here we go again, anyway.

"Once a misperception gets in the news cycle, it just keeps spinning around."

Dallas Morning News pop culture critic Tom Maurstad and The New York Times contributed to this report.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:52 PM   #2
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Crazy Christians need a life

First of all, maybe you should change the name of this thread. Many of us are christians. And once again, you stand for equality for people of all religions, races, and sexual orientations, and then turn around and label christians as crazy people who need a life.

As innocent as Spongebob is, there are moments in the show that make me wince every once in a while. Am I the only one here that's seen the episode where Patrick shoves a metal hook into his rectum?
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
vinnieponte

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
First of all, maybe you should change the name of this thread. Many of us are christians. And once again, you stand for equality for people of all religions, races, and sexual orientations, and then turn around and label christians as crazy people who need a life.

As innocent as Spongebob is, there are moments in the show that make me wince every once in a while. Am I the only one here that's seen the episode where Patrick shoves a metal hook into his rectum?
Once again, another misunderstanding regarding my post. I'm not calling chirstians "crazy". I'm calling christians who act like this towards a show like spongebob, "crazy". And it is crazy to act like that against something like spongebob.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Vinnie, if that's the case.. you shouldn't have said "Christians think." You should've said "crazy Christians think." That's no different than you jumping my butt for saying "Muslims think" when it should be "Jihadists think."

Think about it..
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:22 PM   #5
vinnieponte

crazy christians think is what I mean. Everyone happy
Old 01-21-2005, 04:30 PM   #6
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Clearly Dr. Dobson is exhibiting a great deal of homophobia. That in itself merits the characterzation of "crazy" IMO.

As it relates to the assertion that by calling those like Dobson who see a plot, an agenda, in the cartoons "crazy" one is therefore "intolerant", should we tolerate those who are themselves intolerant? Should we stand idly by while many people are discriminated against and reviled merely due to their brains being wired to be attracted to the same sex rather than to the other sex?

No. Discrimination should be exposed whenever it rears its ugly head and those who practice such should be shown to be the simpletons they are.

Here's some of that intolerance from Dobson's own website:

Quote:
The video in question is slated to be distributed to 61,000 public and private elementary schools throughout the United States. Where it is shown, schoolchildren will be left with the impression that their teachers are offering their endorsement of the values and agenda associated with the video's sponsor. While some of the goals associated with this organization are noble in nature, their inclusion of the reference to "sexual identity" within their "tolerance pledge" is not only unnecessary, but it crosses a moral line.
So according to Dobson it is "immoral" to tolerate the individuals in our society who have a homosexual orientation. Next thing we will most likely hear from Dobson and his minions is the concept that we should not need to tolerate these immoral homosexuals and that those who cross the "moral line" should be removed from our midst....perhaps to facilities where they can be segregated from the truly moral folk, to live amongst themselves in their immorality. Concentration camps anyone?

Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:39 PM   #7
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:42 PM   #8
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

Here is a solution if you dont like the show dont watch, use the remote, lock the channel etc... I personally think the republicans are wasting too much effort in potecting the public from gay influence.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #9
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Homophobia won Bush the election..some may laugh- but its fact..many many more anti-gay people took to the polls to vote against gays in general...the educated red states and their backwards ass values...
Old 01-21-2005, 07:51 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Crazy Christians need a life

I do think that the red states voted so that the blue states wouldn't shove their anti-religious bigotry and their anything-goes immorality down their throat.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:38 AM   #11
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

You really don't need to group people with your title. There are many different Christians around and I'm sure there are just as many non-christians that have many of the same morals that Christians do.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:27 AM   #12
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Voting over gay marriges when a war is going on, the economy's dropping, the dollors getting killed, the worlds turning their backs on us, etc goes to show how ignorant you are. Seriously, it shows that you don't care for the people dying over seas, for the millions losing their jobs, the rest of the world, etc and that you only care to not see two men getting married even though you WONT be able to know if they're married or not and they can still kiss and or w/e in the streets anyways.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 11:00 AM   #13
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: vinnieponte
When will these people get a life?
this is long overdue....

i wonder this everytime i read a political post from you that's clearly meant to piss republicans off. your posts offer no thought or opinion on any subject. though i may not agree with the opinions of mavdog and reeds, they still show that they've thought about a subject intelligently before responding. you label an extreme right wing person as crazy - do you not think you're extreme left wing? do you not fall in the category with the likes of michael moore? in my opinion extremes of either side have lost grip on reality and are going to have miserable lives because they are unable to compromise. do you honestly care about 90% of the topics you post day in and day out, or are you just trying to spark controversy? if you genuously care about these issues, then i feel sorry for you because you have never rationally explained your opinion and because of that, you will only ever persuade the weakest of followers to stand by you.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:27 PM   #14
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: reeds
Homophobia won Bush the election..some may laugh- but its fact..many many more anti-gay people took to the polls to vote against gays in general...the educated red states and their backwards ass values...
this qualifies as one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever read on this board! puhleeez get your head out of your ass and stop hatemongering.

this election had much much more to do with national security and taxes than homophobia. plain ridiculous.

as a man who has studied at prestigous universities in the U.S. and England - I'm highly offended by your "backwards ass" comments...In fact, you might want to consider some introspection. If ignorance were a nickel, you'd be rich by now.

I apologize - I feel like I've been sucked in to this "namecalling"- but please think your posts through in the future.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:12 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm truly ashamed to have associated with so many people that consistently throw out garbage on a routine basis...whether it's one extreme or another..whether it's someone complaining about SpongeBob or some of the comments by liberals...

As someone that truly has no political affiliation, it is comical to read the comments by vinnie and reeds. They're comments are just as off base as anything thrown out by whoever is crying about SpongeBob. Both are an embarrassment to this site and this country.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:01 AM   #16
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

"this election had much much more to do with national security and taxes than homophobia. plain ridiculous.

as a man who has studied at prestigous universities in the U.S. and England - I'm highly offended by your "backwards ass" comments...In fact, you might want to consider some introspection. If ignorance were a nickel, you'd be rich by now."

National security and taxes?? Hmmm..I suppose that had something to do with it, after all, Bush did attempt to brainwash this country that he could protect this country better than Kerry..even though it was under his watch when we were attacked.. Taxes..hmmm..Oh yes, that big tax breaks for the rich- even though the poorest states in the country voted for Bush..comical..

And the fact that you studied at "prestigous" universies here and abroad does not hide the fact that the states with the lowest I.Q. Scores in the country all went red..I can pull the thread again if you are doubting it to be fact?
Old 01-23-2005, 03:49 AM   #17
Josh

Josh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That certainly explains why same sex marriage was banned in Michigan & Oregon, both bathed in Utopian Blue. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:56 AM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea and overwhelmingly opposed by the 90% democratic voter bloc.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-23-2005, 12:20 PM   #19
reeds
Golden Member

"That certainly explains why same sex marriage was banned in Michigan & Oregon, both bathed in Utopian Blue."

So you just happen to leave out Arkansas, Georgia, mississippi, Montana, North dakota, oklahoma, Ohio and Utah..ok...whatever..

that really isnt even my whole point anyway..I am just saying in general, the right winged religious, go to church every week group came out in huge numbers to vote in this election. Why? many reasons, but the gay marriage issue was certainly at the top of the list..

"Voters who say they go to church every week usually vote for Republicans. Those who go to church less often or not at all tend to vote Democratic.

Forget the gender gap. The "religion gap" is bigger, more powerful and growing. The divide isn't between Catholics and Protestants, Jews and Gentiles. Instead, on one side are those of many faiths who go to services, well, religiously: Catholics who attend Mass without fail, evangelical Christians and mainline Protestants who show up for church rain or shine, some Orthodox Jews. On the other side are those who attend religious services only occasionally or never.

The religion gap is the leading edge of the "culture war" that has polarized American politics, reshaped the coalitions that make up the Democratic and Republican parties and influenced the appeals their presidential candidates are making. The debate over same-sex marriage is expected to make it wider than ever this year. Gay rights, partial-birth abortion, definitions of patriotism and other "values" issues are likely to exacerbate the divide between the most observant and others.

Vote in 2000 by church attendance
Bush Gore
More than once a week 68% 32%
Once a week 58% 42%
Once or twice a month 41% 59%
A few times a year 40% 60%
Seldom 39% 61%
Never 35% 65%

Source: National Survey of Religion and Politics, University of Akron

Republicans target the most faithful for political conversion so aggressively that critics say they skirt the law. At the White House, President Bush has courted people of faith with his policies and language. They are a huge group: In 2000, one in four voters said they attended church every week.

Republicans say concern over the moral direction of the country and gay marriage in particular has created an opening for them to motivate supporters and reach out to new allies among the faithful."

Old 01-23-2005, 02:33 PM   #20
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

reeds- can you, in your infinite wisdom (and google-searching democratic websites), find something about the IQ level of voters themselves - or just the states they live in? The reason I ask - is that I would bet anybody that the average IQ of a Bush voter was a tad higher than a Kerry voter.

I'm not taking a shot at you. I think the "intelligensia" voted for Kerry and I also think most illiterate voters voted for Kerry. I think that the median IQ of mainstream American would be higher than Kerry voters. I may be wrong, but I doubt it. Your posts pertaining to the IQ of red and blue states is really ambiguous and pointless. What if only the hgh IQ people in the red states voted? The point you're trying to make is silly.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:36 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

Actually I read just this today xerxes. Kerry got the predominant votes of those with advanced degrees (PHd types ) and those with only high-school diplomas. Dubya got the great unwashed college educated.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:50 PM   #22
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Actually I read just this today xerxes. Kerry got the predominant votes of those with advanced degrees (PHd types ) and those with only high-school diplomas. Dubya got the great unwashed college educated.
That is the exact point I was trying to make! Where did you read that? My theory is proven!
Old 01-23-2005, 05:38 PM   #23
dude1394
Guru

It was on betsy's page

It was this comment I believe.

------
One of the highest WPE rates came in the data collected by those interviewers with post-graduate degrees. This is a group that leans to the left on average. (According to Gallup, Bush won among those with college degrees and among those with some college, but lost among those with high school diplomas or less and among those with post graduate degrees; the most highly-educated tend to be Democrats, but the average Republican is more educated than the average Democrat.) Many interviewers got the job through recommendations from their college professors (speaking of left-leaning demographic groups); others found the job via listings on craigslist.com, a site heavily frequented by urban hipsters. Even assuming there was no deliberate fudging of the numbers going on -- something I'm perfectly willing to assume -- there's little doubt that many of these interviewers had a demeanor that absolutely screamed liberal. Small wonder that Kerry voters would be more likely to talk to them.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:51 PM   #24
reeds
Golden Member

spin it as you wish- it was obvious you would, just a matter of time..bottom line is still the same..the lowest I.Q scores in the country along with the lowest high school graduation rates among the 50 states(the bottom 10) all went Republican...9 of the top 10 states as far as education goes went blue...spin it as you wish....
Old 01-24-2005, 08:44 AM   #25
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

the "tolerance pledge" at the We Are Family Foundation website includes reference to "sexual identity" but not "people with drug addiction", or "IQ level", or "criminal history". I wonder why they chose to leave those people out. Should we not tolerate people that have drug addiction? Should we hate people based on IQ level? Are people with criminal history not acceptable for our society?

Based on the absolutely distorted, misunderstood, and maligning view of the religious perspective on homosexuality and homosexuals coming from a few people here and a lot of people writing articles, I've come to the opinion that "homophobia" did not win the election for Bush as much as "religio-phobia" lost the election for the liberals.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:54 AM   #26
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
spin it as you wish- it was obvious you would, just a matter of time..bottom line is still the same..the lowest I.Q scores in the country along with the lowest high school graduation rates among the 50 states(the bottom 10) all went Republican...9 of the top 10 states as far as education goes went blue...spin it as you wish....
puhleeez quit speaking in generaliztions...and please address my point:

Quote:
reeds- can you, in your infinite wisdom (and google-searching democratic websites), find something about the IQ level of voters themselves - or just the states they live in? The reason I ask - is that I would bet anybody that the average IQ of a Bush voter was a tad higher than a Kerry voter.
Thank you in advance.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:21 AM   #27
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
It was on betsy's page

It was this comment I believe.

------
One of the highest WPE rates came in the data collected by those interviewers with post-graduate degrees. This is a group that leans to the left on average. (According to Gallup, Bush won among those with college degrees and among those with some college, but lost among those with high school diplomas or less and among those with post graduate degrees; the most highly-educated tend to be Democrats, but the average Republican is more educated than the average Democrat.) Many interviewers got the job through recommendations from their college professors (speaking of left-leaning demographic groups); others found the job via listings on craigslist.com, a site heavily frequented by urban hipsters. Even assuming there was no deliberate fudging of the numbers going on -- something I'm perfectly willing to assume -- there's little doubt that many of these interviewers had a demeanor that absolutely screamed liberal. Small wonder that Kerry voters would be more likely to talk to them.
This is taken almost verbatim from an American Spectator article on why the polling data of the 2004 election was all over the place.

It does not however support any conclusions about the education levels of voters for a candidate. First, as votes (and those who cast them) are kept secret it is impossible to use census data for this research. Census data is the only reliable demographic database in the US. Second, the research must then come from exit polling which is not scientific and also is not verifiable. Third, it is incorrect to make the assumption that a person who identifies with a particular political party in a general sense will always vote for that party's presidential candidate.

Consequently one can make broad general comments about education levels and politics yet the comments are not based on credible information, just assumptions.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:53 PM   #28
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Consequently one can make broad general comments about education levels and politics yet the comments are not based on credible information, just assumptions.
can you pass that info along to reeds?

thanks.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:42 PM   #29
Josh

Josh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think just about everyone but you realizes that was fake by now.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:15 PM   #30
XERXES
Diamond Member

Some pranks are so good they keep working over and over again.

Back in November 2002, someone (using the name Robert Calvert) created and posted to a USENET newsgroup a phony chart which purportedly showed the average IQ per state in the U.S., along with the average income and a column indicating how that state voted in the 2000 presidential election. The gag was that all the states that voted for Vice-President Al Gore in the 2000 presidential election were clustered at the top of the IQ scale, while all the states that voted for then-Texas Governor George W. Bush were clustered at the bottom.

The chart's creator claimed to have been inspired by the book IQ and the Wealth of Nations and to have drawn his IQ data from the Ravens APM, but — save for the average income per state numbers, which were valid but outdated figures taken from the 1994 World Almanac — the chart was completely bogus. (The Ravens Advanced Progressive Matrices is not really a general intelligence test, nor do its publishers offer state-by-state test results data.) Nonetheless, a number of news publications (including the staid Economist) were taken in by the hoax — some mistakenly citing the information as having come from the book IQ and the Wealth of Nations, or even IQ and the Wealth of States — and published portions of the chart, and discussed it as if it were valid. (A similar hoax about presidential IQs produced similar media-fooling results back in 2001.)

Now, someone has dusted off the same chart and (omitting the economic data) applied it to the 2004 presidential election, keeping the primary gag intact: the "blue" (i.e., Democratic states) are all clustered at the top of the IQ scale, while the "red" (i.e., Republican) states are clustered at the bottom. Same hoax, different year. If 2008 produces another close presidential election as 2000 and 2004 did, expect to see this same joke again four years from now.

Last updated: 12 November 2004

will reeds apologize?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:53 PM   #31
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Josh
Quote:
I think just about everyone but you realizes that was fake by now.

Reeds probably knew it, but it fit so well with his bigoted view of the south that he didn't see any reason to fact-check it, it must be true, it's so obvious...
Old 01-25-2005, 12:03 AM   #32
dude1394
Guru

And I don't think he'll be apologizing. he just sort of slinks away when the facts or any type of argument gets the better of him.

ike

Old 01-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #33
XERXES
Diamond Member

I'd like to offer reeds another opportunity to say "hey- I assumed something was true b/c I read it online...I used it to try to prove my point and then I found out that itwas, in fact, not true. I would like to apologize for trying to use the erroneous report to make the invalid point that kerry-supporters are, ingeneral, smarter than bush-supporters."

That would be a classy move.

Here's your opportunity. It's your olive branch.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:33 PM   #34
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
I'd like to offer reeds another opportunity to say "hey- I assumed something was true b/c I read it online...I used it to try to prove my point and then I found out that itwas, in fact, not true. I would like to apologize for trying to use the erroneous report to make the invalid point that kerry-supporters are, ingeneral, smarter than bush-supporters."

That would be a classy move.

Here's your opportunity. It's your olive branch.
Why am I surprised nobody has responded yet?
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:54 PM   #35
vinnieponte

Here is my reply.................

Old 01-31-2005, 06:29 PM   #36
reeds
Golden Member

I would apologize- IF I were WRONG...but as the states with college degrees vs the states without, it still proves my point...the Southern sates ranked much worse than the rest of the country..and of course they all went Bush..WHY? You can spin that as you wish..I already know the answer..cuz dey dont want dem querr peoples gettin marreid, and fukk it, leets juts go bomb da sun beetches...thats the obvious answer...
Old 02-05-2005, 09:47 AM   #37
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

A Short History of Deanism
By DAVID BROOKS

Published: February 5, 2005

As you may recall, Ralph Kramden was a member of the Raccoon Lodge in "The Honeymooners."

Back in the 1950's, tens of millions of Americans were members of fellowship associations like the Elks Lodges, the Rotary Clubs and the Soroptimists. These groups had lodges or chapters across the nation, where the affluent and not so affluent, the educated and not so educated, would get together once a week or so for schmoozing and community service.

But as Prof. Theda Skocpol of Harvard has demonstrated, these fraternal associations lost members in the 1960's. Instead, groups like NOW, Naral and the Heritage Foundation emerged as the important associations in American life. But these groups were not like the old fellowship organizations.

Many of these groups were formed to champion some specific cause. Instead of relying on a vast network of local chapters, they tend to organize their work from central offices in New York or Washington, with a professional staff. They raise money through direct mail appeals or by asking for foundation grants.

These new groups are dominated by experts - people who live within the network of grant officers, activists and scholars. Being a member of one of these organizations doesn't generally involve going to a local lodge once a week and communing with your neighbors; it involves sending a check once a year and reading a newsletter.

Furthermore, as Skocpol observes in her book "Diminished Democracy," these new organizations tend not to bring people together across class lines. In 1980, at a time when about 15 percent of the electorate had a college degree, roughly 80 percent of the members of the Sierra Club and Naral were college graduates.

The decline of fraternal associations and the emergence of these professionally run groups for the educated class diminished communal life. The change also reshaped politics.

Since the 1960's there has been a breakdown in the machinery that allowed Americans to work together across class and other divisions. The educated class has come to dominate, and the issues of interest to that class overshadow issues of interest to the less educated and less well off.

But the two major parties were affected unequally. The Republican coalition still contains some cross-class associations, like the N.R.A. and the evangelical churches, which connect corporate elites to the middle classes. The Democratic coalition has fewer organizations like that. Its elite - the urban and university-town elite - has less contact with the less educated.

Not coincidentally, Republicans have a much easier time putting together electoral majorities.

The story doesn't end there.

Over the past two years, what we might loosely call the university-town elite has come to dominate the Democratic Party not just intellectually, but financially as well.

Howard Dean, in his fervent antiwar phase, mobilized new networks of small donors, and these donors have quickly become the money base of the party. Whereas Al Gore raised only about $50 million from individuals in 2000, John Kerry raised $225 million, including $87 million over the Internet alone. Many of these new donors are highly educated. The biggest groups of donors to the Dean and Kerry campaigns were employees of the University of California, Harvard, Stanford, Time Warner, Microsoft and so on.

They tend to be to the left of the country, especially on social and security issues. They may not agree with Michael Moore on everything, but many enjoyed "Fahrenheit 9/11." Perhaps they are among the hundreds of thousands of daily visitors to Daily Kos and other blogs that savage Democrats who violate party orthodoxy.

Many Republicans are mystified as to why the Democrats, having lost another election, are about to name Howard Dean as party chairman and have allowed Barbara Boxer and Ted Kennedy to emerge unchallenged as the loudest foreign policy voices.

The answer, as Mickey Kaus observes in Slate, is that the party is following the money. The energy and the dough are in the MoveOn.org wing, which is not even a wing of the party, but the head and the wallet. Only the most passionate and liberal voices can stir up this network of online donors from the educated class.

Howard Dean may not be as liberal as he appeared in the primaries, but in 1,001 ways - from his secularism to his stridency - he embodies the newly dominant educated class, which is large, self-contained and assertive.

Thanks to this newly dominant group, the Democrats are sure to carry Berkeley for decades to come.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 11:49 AM   #38
vinnieponte

kiki, im glad you took the time to post your thoughts, but what does that have to do with christians freaking out about spongebob?