Total: $30,454,190

New York Knicks trade:

Stephon Marbury ($16,453,125)
Kurt Thomas ($6,620,062)
Malik Rose ( $6,008,750)
Total: $29,081,937*

*=New York can take back up to $33,620,415

-Why would Dallas do this?
A lot of fans simply aren't willing to roll the dice on Devin Harris and wait it out. This is a chance to get a top 4 PG in here, a constant 20/8 guy that is 28 years old and entering his prime, just like Dirk Nowitzki. Steph runs the best pick and roll in the Eastern Conference. Steph/Kurt ran that sucker this year and Kurt had a career year, imagine what he and Nowitzki could do with it, you couldn't guard a Steph/Dirk pick and roll cause Marbury is such a great threat to score or pass, it would be money every time. I don't know, my "gut" keeps telling me that Marbury and Nowitzki is a championship duo and that the pieces we have here could surround them perfectly. Jet moves into the combo guard off the bench that he is, we know Finley will start so we should stop pretending, and it adds the backup PF/C we need with Kurt Thomas while getting a backup PF that knows his role, Malik Rose, due to backing up Duncan for years. Marquis serves as the 3rd PG.

-Why would New York do this?
If the Knicks did this they would be at $22,221,103 in two seasons, roughly half of the cap. The would have Devin Harris, Jamal Crawford, Trevor Ariza, Michael Sweetney, the 8th pick this year, the 30th pick this year (Suns 1st), and the two picks they got from the Spurs. That is a boatload of young talent with no bad contracts attached to them.

-What would our 2005/06 roster/rotation look like?

PG-Stephon Marbury | Jason Terry
SG-Michael Finley | Jerry Stackhouse
SF-Josh Howard | Marquis Daniels
PF-Dirk Nowitzki | Malik Rose
CT-Erick Dampier | Kurt Thomas | Pavel Podzkolzin | DJ Mbenga

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2005, 04:38 AM   #2
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice
Default RE: Mavs Offseason In One Move

thats a really deep really great team u put together miles
let`s smoke some and dream of it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2005, 04:43 AM   #3
fabolous

fabolous is on a distinguished road

mmh, starbury is called a career loser and egoist.
but his stats a really nice trough out his career and this team looks awesome. if the knicks throw in a first rounder i'll jump on it.

edit: salary wise a horrible deal, but i don't have to pay [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:49 AM   #4
Dalhoop

Dalhoop has a spectacular aura aboutDalhoop has a spectacular aura about

I would get behind the trade, but would worry about starbury, though, every other "problem player" seems to do well here.
Dalhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:01 AM   #5
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Isiah traded off KVH. There is no way he takes him back. No way Isiah takes Shawn. No way he gives up Starbury. Not real realistic.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:14 AM   #6
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of
Default RE:Mavs Offseason In One Move

We would have to give up Stack and Terry at least in my opinion.

Jerry Stackhouse

Keith Van Horn

Jason Terry

(30.69 millions)

for

Stephon Marbury

Kurt Thomas

Malik Rose

(27.79 millions)

This would work, wouldn't it?

The reasons for this trade are obvious. We get a really good point guard, who can play defense and score at a high percentage and would certainly like to become a winner. We do get a BIG contract, but the guy is young and would be 32 or 33 when his contract expires. Plus, we get a PF/C who can hit the open jumper, plays defense and rebounds very well. and in addition to that we could get a scoring option for the 4 spot, who could take some of the scoring burden when Dirk is on the bench. - And, even better, he is a inside scorer.

The reason why New York does this is quiete obvious as well. I mean In Terry and Van Horn they get 23.19 millions cap relief for the summer 2006. In Stackhouse they get a short contract that will give them 8 millions cap relief in the summer 2007. And for next season they have a quiete good roster and they should've seen by now that Van Horn is far more effective than Tim Thomas for whom they traded him.

New York's S5:

PG: Jason Terry/Jamal Crawford
SG: Allan Houston/Jamal Crawford/Trevor Ariza
SF: Jerry Stackhouse/Tim Thomas/Keith Van Horn/Trevor Ariza
PF: Keith Van Horn/Tim Thomas
C: ??? - That's the question mark left on this trade...

(Smallball?)

Dallas' S5:

PG: Stephon Marbury/Devin Harris
SG: Michael Finley/Marquis Daniels
SF: Josh Howard/Marquis Daniels
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Malik Rose/ Kurt Thomas
C: Erick Dampier/Kurt Thomas/Shawn Bradley

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:54 AM   #7
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i actually like the trade. marbury would definately make finley a better player. i think its a bit of a pipedream for us to think of this as the trade currently sits, but if you were to swap out wahad for daniels/stackhouse, i think NY would have to take a hard look at it.

right now they're in salary cap hell with no way out.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:20 AM   #8
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

Isiah wont trade Marbury, and he isnt really worried about cutting payroll. Marbury is his star attraction in that big NY market, and the centerpiece of his major team-altering deal that remade the Knicks. He has put his GM career on Marbury, and no way he will trade him no matter what. Look elsewhere.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:33 AM   #9
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I would be VERY pissed if we traded for Steph. He's one of the last players I want on my team. I'd much rather have a hobbled Kidd.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:52 PM   #10
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Speaking of career losers. So was Jason Kidd before he came to the Suns. Jerry Stackhouse, Antwan Jamison, Jason Terry, Raef Lafrentz and Eric Dampier never even spoke of the playoffs before they became Mavs. Career loser crap is just that crap. The Knicks roster is a bunch of crap. There is only one starter on the whole team that could start for the Mavs. Stephon Marbury would be a perfect fit. Marbury can score with anyone and lately he can pass with the best of them.

Or if we just stood pat. I would be okay with that too.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:26 PM   #11
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

If there was no way to prevent the trade, then the only way to make it a balanced trade would be:

NEW YOUR TRADES
Stephon Marbury (16m)
Kurt Thomas (6m)
Penny Hardaway (?)

DALLAS TRADES
Jason Terry (?)
Jerry Stackhouse (?)
Keith Van Horn (15m)

The salaries may be close, but the talent is pretty even.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:14 PM   #12
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Well I would love to be able to keep Devin and get Marbury, so I like your trades better obviously. I was just trying to make a deal that made sense for the Knicks too, and since they were getting Devin, they would also get TAW and we would keep Stack. But I would give them Jet and Stack to be able to keep Devin around w/Marbury, jeez, that could get borderline insanely dangerous with time. WOW.

Anyways, I dont think they would want to trade Penny. I have been reading a lot of their press and they are concerned with getting under the cap. They have been lining up expirers for a reason, they have (next 2 years) Allan Houston, Tim Thomas, Penny all coming off. They have basically 5 bad deals (bad for wanting to get cap to go get LeBron James): Marbury, Jamal Crawfod, Kurt Thomas, Jerome Williams (though he has a TO for that 3rd year), and Malik Rose.

I know that getting LeBron James to New York is what their plan is, I know that they have a real shot at doing that if they can get under the cap after the next two years, enough under to MAX LeBron, and I do know that as crazy as my deal sounded, it makes a lot of sense for what Isiah is trying to do.

As for taking Van Horn back, ofcoure he would, that is a giant $15,000,000 contract. Boston took Walker back, Isiah would gladly get back Van Horn in order to knock off 15% of the Knicks cap. And as for Bradley, it can't be all bad salary going one way. Even in that mega dump deal with the Suns/Knicks, the Suns still took back Howard Eisley, they didn't just get all expirers out of it, and Eisley has a huge hold on thier cap for another year.

I dunno, I think the deal is really possible and solves both organizations needs to a tee. Thanks for the comments tho.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
Old 05-24-2005, 02:24 PM   #13
The Miles

-Hey LeBron, come play in the Big Apple and make so much money that P Diddy asks you for a loan.

-Yeah? For real? Nike does want me in New York, but how can you get me?

-King James, we traded Marbury to Dallas two years ago, we cut cap, we have Devin Harris and Trevor Ariza for you to run with here, we have had 1st round picks coming out of our ears, and we have enough cap to get you and another superstar. We have been planning for you for two years, you are going to be the face of the Knicks, the NBA, New York, hell LeBron, you are going to run the whole world playing in New York. We have the MAX to offer you, "Steve Nash" the Cavs baby, its all here for you!

Old 05-24-2005, 02:29 PM   #14
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Miles
I know that getting LeBron James to New York is what their plan is, I know that they have a real shot at doing that if they can get under the cap after the next two years, enough under to MAX LeBron, and I do know that as crazy as my deal sounded, it makes a lot of sense for what Isiah is trying to do.
If LeBron had a financial brain, then he should recognize the windfall of being a player for the media capital of the world. LeBron in the NYC is his destiny.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:59 PM   #15
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

that lineup with starbury looks awful nice, but i dont know is thomas would pull the trigger because steph seems like the poster child at nyc. i say thomas does it if hes sure that he can get his hands on lebron
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:30 PM   #16
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

JUST SAY NO TO STARBURY. This guy is such a loser. Although he is the self-proclaimed "best PG in the NBA", I would hate to have this guy on our team. He is a point gaurd versionn of Antoine Walker, but worse. This would be suicide for the mavs.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:46 PM   #17
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Or the mavs could sign Brevin Knight for most of the MLE.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:04 PM   #18
The Miles

Quote:
JUST SAY NO TO STARBURY. This guy is such a loser. Although he is the self-proclaimed "best PG in the NBA", I would hate to have this guy on our team. He is a point gaurd versionn of Antoine Walker, but worse. This would be suicide for the mavs.
Umm, ok, probably not.

Nash's last year with Dallas was 14.5 PPG, 8.8 APG, 2.68 TOs, 47.0% FGs, .86 SPG.
Marbury with the Knicks this year 21.7 PPG, 8.1 APG, 2.82 TOs, 46.2% FGs, 1.49 SPG

Again, not seeing how Marbury is "Antoine Walker' He is efficient, he doesnt turn it over, his assist to turnover ratio is off the charts, his FG% is nice, and he runs a hell of a pick and roll which would be the bread and butter here with Steph/Dirk. Plus he is only 28 and he, *gasps*, plays defense!

Sorry, don't buy the crap about Marbury being a "loser," he hasn't had a running mate since KG and he was outstanding with KG. Prime Steph + Prime Dirk + Dallas supporting cast = CHAMPIONSHIP[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-26-2005, 06:04 PM   #19
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I really like any of the ideas that dont involve trading devin harris. I have always been really high on starbury however i doubt that the deal gets done. Isiah thomas is the MOST RACIST person involved with any sport anywhere. However with that said if he thought he had a shot at lebron he would probably take back kvh. Back the other way though going for cap space can be dangerous because the majority of players who are worth getting cap room for stay with the team they are. Yall are right about marbury and dirk pick and roll it would be money. Those of you mad at terry for not pushing it would be mad though. He is not a push the ball pg at all. He is the most talented point in the league other than the franchise and wade so i would do the deal but i would think it over long and hard. If harris had to be included i say no dice. Actually as i type i wouldnt do the deal. Marbury would never agree to go to the bench in 2 years when harris is better than he is.

I left the begining of this post on here to show yall how back and forth i am on this but in the final analysis i would probably say no but i dont know i can see arguments for both.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:49 PM   #20
Mavs4skin

Mavs4skin is on a distinguished road

NY would be crazy to do this deal.
Mavs4skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:37 PM   #21
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Or the mavs could sign Brevin Knight for most of the MLE.
Won't Knight be making more than the MLE next year? I'm sure he'll get a pretty nice contract offer from someone.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 01:12 AM   #22
Turint

Turint is on a distinguished road

It would be nice if we could keep Van Horn and substitute Michael Finley. The salary amounts are similar, and I prefer what KVH brings to this team over Finley. Neither of these are going to happen, so pardon me if I'm a bit more unrealistic than the initial post. heh
Turint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 03:45 AM   #23
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

WTF, why should anyone take Finleys contract? It simply wouldn't work. I'd say we keep Finley till summer 2007. Because then we'd have a guy with a running out 18.59 million dollar contract, whom we could trade.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:42 PM   #24
jayC
Diamond Member

Marbury is one helluva scorer back in the nellie days he would always go off for 40 against us.

Our bench would be sick. Thomas can knock down the elbow jumper. Malik Rose is like a more athletic najera. This team would win the title next season.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:20 PM   #25
The Miles

Quote:
I really like any of the ideas that dont involve trading devin harris. I have always been really high on starbury however i doubt that the deal gets done. Isiah thomas is the MOST RACIST person involved with any sport anywhere. However with that said if he thought he had a shot at lebron he would probably take back kvh. Back the other way though going for cap space can be dangerous because the majority of players who are worth getting cap room for stay with the team they are. Yall are right about marbury and dirk pick and roll it would be money. Those of you mad at terry for not pushing it would be mad though. He is not a push the ball pg at all. He is the most talented point in the league other than the franchise and wade so i would do the deal but i would think it over long and hard. If harris had to be included i say no dice. Actually as i type i wouldnt do the deal. Marbury would never agree to go to the bench in 2 years when harris is better than he is.

I left the begining of this post on here to show yall how back and forth i am on this but in the final analysis i would probably say no but i dont know i can see arguments for both.
Very good points all around. I don't want to trade Devin Harris either, he is my favorite Maverick, I feel you.

Thanks for the good analysis, I agree with every single thing you said.

Old 06-01-2005, 12:47 PM   #26
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

No chance in hell the Knicks take both Shawn and KVH. No way.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:12 PM   #27
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

What this team needs to do is become more like the New York Knicks.

Good idea.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote